LLPs and Salaried Partners
I have a client who is currently working via a managed service company, earning salary and dividend and claiming various expenses related to the jobs he undertakes. He works in a fairly specialised role for several client companies and his "jobs" can last anything from a couple of days to a couple of years, often running concurrently with each other. He is looking at his options in April when HMRC bring in the new MSC legislation. He has already decided that incorporating his own Ltd Co is an absolute last resort as he does not want the hassle or responsibility of being a director and having to oversee most of his own admin. His expected income based on last year will be borderline higher rate as well, just to complicate things!
He has been offered the option to join an LLP, where he will be paid via a combination of salary (they have said he will be a salaried partner and that his salary will be a minimum-wage level one) and profit-share on the balance of his gross weekly income, and has asked me for my opinion of the impact of such a scheme on his take-home pay. The advantage of this over continuing with his MSC is that he will still be able to claim the majority of his work-related expenses including mileage to his various projects.
I have told him I haven't a clue! But will do some research on his behalf and present him with some hopefully unbiased information. The first thing that appears to have come up is whether or not he can actually be a "salaried" partner and have profit share as well, it appears that he has to be one or the other.
The next thing is that assuming that this is the case and that as a salaried partner he will have to fund the partnership's employers NI on his wage out of his gross income, I feel that he would actually be marginally better off being taxed on his profit share anyway.
Your opinions and comments would be much appreciated, as I am groping in the dark here!
- Accountants' Error 686 13
- ICPA taxwise fee protection 143 3
- Scoot 174 4
- Zero Rated VAT on New Building 148 2
- Tax code for Companies House fees 194 3
- G'day IPA-IFA 660 11
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,447 20
- VAT customer is registered in France, goods shipped to the UK 106 1
- Regaining my qualification 194 2
- Self-Assessment - NIC Exemption 234 2
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 223 2
- Auto enrolment 190 3
- Shareholder agreement 170 3
- Tax treatment of cashed in American Savings Plan 194 3
- Company Reorganisation 162 3
- Employee Loan 205 2
- IRIS - Personal Tax - 2013/14 - Page UKP2 464 15
- Statutory residence test - transit days 588 5
- CGT - Is a calculation required now? 145 1
- Wear and tear allowance 463 6
- Skandia using wrong address 1,449
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 760
- Any views 694
- HMRC Employers Diary 521
- International interest certificate 423
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 387
- Sale of business 353
- NOVA 259
- Advertising services? 252
- IRIS Open Books problem 242