LLPs and Salaried Partners
I have a client who is currently working via a managed service company, earning salary and dividend and claiming various expenses related to the jobs he undertakes. He works in a fairly specialised role for several client companies and his "jobs" can last anything from a couple of days to a couple of years, often running concurrently with each other. He is looking at his options in April when HMRC bring in the new MSC legislation. He has already decided that incorporating his own Ltd Co is an absolute last resort as he does not want the hassle or responsibility of being a director and having to oversee most of his own admin. His expected income based on last year will be borderline higher rate as well, just to complicate things!
He has been offered the option to join an LLP, where he will be paid via a combination of salary (they have said he will be a salaried partner and that his salary will be a minimum-wage level one) and profit-share on the balance of his gross weekly income, and has asked me for my opinion of the impact of such a scheme on his take-home pay. The advantage of this over continuing with his MSC is that he will still be able to claim the majority of his work-related expenses including mileage to his various projects.
I have told him I haven't a clue! But will do some research on his behalf and present him with some hopefully unbiased information. The first thing that appears to have come up is whether or not he can actually be a "salaried" partner and have profit share as well, it appears that he has to be one or the other.
The next thing is that assuming that this is the case and that as a salaried partner he will have to fund the partnership's employers NI on his wage out of his gross income, I feel that he would actually be marginally better off being taxed on his profit share anyway.
Your opinions and comments would be much appreciated, as I am groping in the dark here!
- transitioning payroll 209 7
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 84 2
- dividend proposals 55 2
- How to reclaim VAT that was missed off previous invoices? 210 2
- Deduction from Salary 273 8
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 170 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,690 60
- Dividend dates 535 9
- Child Tax Credits - date of cessation of qualifying young person 72 2
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 426 10
- ACCA Cert/Dip in IFRS 153 2
- 12 Pay Problems 242 3
- VAT online filing exemptions 234 3
- Sole properietor 120 3
- Mutual trading organisation has chargeable gain 86 1
- Redudancy 77 1
- Redundancy pay for directors? 475 13
- VAT - Recharge 92 2
- Should Spanish VAT apply ? 352 4
- Legal title not in the company name 231 9
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 621
- Cancelled 362
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 342
- Cancelled 308
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 280
- Probiz 270
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 227
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 226
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 202
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 172