LLPs and Salaried Partners
I have a client who is currently working via a managed service company, earning salary and dividend and claiming various expenses related to the jobs he undertakes. He works in a fairly specialised role for several client companies and his "jobs" can last anything from a couple of days to a couple of years, often running concurrently with each other. He is looking at his options in April when HMRC bring in the new MSC legislation. He has already decided that incorporating his own Ltd Co is an absolute last resort as he does not want the hassle or responsibility of being a director and having to oversee most of his own admin. His expected income based on last year will be borderline higher rate as well, just to complicate things!
He has been offered the option to join an LLP, where he will be paid via a combination of salary (they have said he will be a salaried partner and that his salary will be a minimum-wage level one) and profit-share on the balance of his gross weekly income, and has asked me for my opinion of the impact of such a scheme on his take-home pay. The advantage of this over continuing with his MSC is that he will still be able to claim the majority of his work-related expenses including mileage to his various projects.
I have told him I haven't a clue! But will do some research on his behalf and present him with some hopefully unbiased information. The first thing that appears to have come up is whether or not he can actually be a "salaried" partner and have profit share as well, it appears that he has to be one or the other.
The next thing is that assuming that this is the case and that as a salaried partner he will have to fund the partnership's employers NI on his wage out of his gross income, I feel that he would actually be marginally better off being taxed on his profit share anyway.
Your opinions and comments would be much appreciated, as I am groping in the dark here!
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 671 24
- CONVERSAION OF DIRECTOR LOAN INTO EQUITY 18 1
- Cash withdrawn and not accounted for 297 4
- Expense receipt from previous quarter not included in VAT return 244 4
- Know it alls (who don't) 1,265 23
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 555 1
- Capital allowances anti-avoidance 326 10
- Audit procedures on a dormant company 202 2
- Transition to FRS102 - goodwill 509 14
- Employed clients and expenses 840 16
- Goods Purchased for Rental 620 31
- More HMRC on gov.uk 251 4
- UK Tax Treatment of Finance Lease Payments 147 3
- Auto Enrolment set up 387 3
- Loan to Partnership is s455 tax relevant? 537 18
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 448 9
- Interflora florist 116 1
- Accounting for VAT not yet paid in year end 307 6
- Directors loan accounts 437 10
- Income Self employed 559 8
- NOVA 492
- Bonus Bonds 376
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 358
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 276
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 241
- Friendly Pensions 176
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 160
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 148
- Finance Lease 141
- Company Car Lease 140