LLPs and Salaried Partners
I have a client who is currently working via a managed service company, earning salary and dividend and claiming various expenses related to the jobs he undertakes. He works in a fairly specialised role for several client companies and his "jobs" can last anything from a couple of days to a couple of years, often running concurrently with each other. He is looking at his options in April when HMRC bring in the new MSC legislation. He has already decided that incorporating his own Ltd Co is an absolute last resort as he does not want the hassle or responsibility of being a director and having to oversee most of his own admin. His expected income based on last year will be borderline higher rate as well, just to complicate things!
He has been offered the option to join an LLP, where he will be paid via a combination of salary (they have said he will be a salaried partner and that his salary will be a minimum-wage level one) and profit-share on the balance of his gross weekly income, and has asked me for my opinion of the impact of such a scheme on his take-home pay. The advantage of this over continuing with his MSC is that he will still be able to claim the majority of his work-related expenses including mileage to his various projects.
I have told him I haven't a clue! But will do some research on his behalf and present him with some hopefully unbiased information. The first thing that appears to have come up is whether or not he can actually be a "salaried" partner and have profit share as well, it appears that he has to be one or the other.
The next thing is that assuming that this is the case and that as a salaried partner he will have to fund the partnership's employers NI on his wage out of his gross income, I feel that he would actually be marginally better off being taxed on his profit share anyway.
Your opinions and comments would be much appreciated, as I am groping in the dark here!
- ACCA practice certificates 39 1
- Accounts submitted to a the charities comission 177 3
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 1,077 32
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 155 2
- What would you do in this situation? 678 14
- Dress code 496 13
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 516 16
- Project being run jointly 209 3
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 318 4
- Companies House 614 9
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 371 11
- Where to start to get any of jobs in Finance and Accounting Industry 736 9
- How much did you pay for your website 1,451 25
- Help Required 429 10
- directors control and tax problems 311 5
- Fastest Software 809 13
- What's in a name ? 409 5
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 321 4
- Bulk Invoicing 195 6
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 190 3
- CTA study material 715
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 439
- Employment related securities question 275
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax consultancy 2014 261
- AIM Stocks and IHT 253
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 231
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 216
- Expat pension contributions? 204
- Trust for Employee 203
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 185