LLPs and Salaried Partners
I have a client who is currently working via a managed service company, earning salary and dividend and claiming various expenses related to the jobs he undertakes. He works in a fairly specialised role for several client companies and his "jobs" can last anything from a couple of days to a couple of years, often running concurrently with each other. He is looking at his options in April when HMRC bring in the new MSC legislation. He has already decided that incorporating his own Ltd Co is an absolute last resort as he does not want the hassle or responsibility of being a director and having to oversee most of his own admin. His expected income based on last year will be borderline higher rate as well, just to complicate things!
He has been offered the option to join an LLP, where he will be paid via a combination of salary (they have said he will be a salaried partner and that his salary will be a minimum-wage level one) and profit-share on the balance of his gross weekly income, and has asked me for my opinion of the impact of such a scheme on his take-home pay. The advantage of this over continuing with his MSC is that he will still be able to claim the majority of his work-related expenses including mileage to his various projects.
I have told him I haven't a clue! But will do some research on his behalf and present him with some hopefully unbiased information. The first thing that appears to have come up is whether or not he can actually be a "salaried" partner and have profit share as well, it appears that he has to be one or the other.
The next thing is that assuming that this is the case and that as a salaried partner he will have to fund the partnership's employers NI on his wage out of his gross income, I feel that he would actually be marginally better off being taxed on his profit share anyway.
Your opinions and comments would be much appreciated, as I am groping in the dark here!
- Unallocated client money 427 10
- What is going on with VAT applications?? 2,013 41
- Errors in prior year accounts 887 24
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 2,454 26
- Expenses Apps 258 5
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 2,698 25
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 553 10
- VAT & capitalising 157 3
- Final year's accounts 184 1
- Do I Need A Balance Sheet? 367 5
- Self Assessment Tax Return Penalties 326 5
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 328 7
- Filing FPS early with moneysoft 293 15
- Have we a distribution when we reduced our capital but it hadn't been registered? & tax implications in winding up 169 2
- What are options for non CA firm 1,999 36
- Invoice Help 266 7
- Summer evenings and ponderings of capital allowances 210 3
- Employee overpaid who has left 275 4
- Limited Company keeping receipts 260 3
- Sorry ignore me 935 24
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 627
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 534
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 299
- Cancelled 285
- Cancelled 246
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 195
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 193
- Probiz 180
- Married woman dies owning marital home 175
- What's the market like for temps? 169