LLPs and Salaried Partners
I have a client who is currently working via a managed service company, earning salary and dividend and claiming various expenses related to the jobs he undertakes. He works in a fairly specialised role for several client companies and his "jobs" can last anything from a couple of days to a couple of years, often running concurrently with each other. He is looking at his options in April when HMRC bring in the new MSC legislation. He has already decided that incorporating his own Ltd Co is an absolute last resort as he does not want the hassle or responsibility of being a director and having to oversee most of his own admin. His expected income based on last year will be borderline higher rate as well, just to complicate things!
He has been offered the option to join an LLP, where he will be paid via a combination of salary (they have said he will be a salaried partner and that his salary will be a minimum-wage level one) and profit-share on the balance of his gross weekly income, and has asked me for my opinion of the impact of such a scheme on his take-home pay. The advantage of this over continuing with his MSC is that he will still be able to claim the majority of his work-related expenses including mileage to his various projects.
I have told him I haven't a clue! But will do some research on his behalf and present him with some hopefully unbiased information. The first thing that appears to have come up is whether or not he can actually be a "salaried" partner and have profit share as well, it appears that he has to be one or the other.
The next thing is that assuming that this is the case and that as a salaried partner he will have to fund the partnership's employers NI on his wage out of his gross income, I feel that he would actually be marginally better off being taxed on his profit share anyway.
Your opinions and comments would be much appreciated, as I am groping in the dark here!
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,332 14
- IR35 deemed payment and dividends - practical considerations 178 3
- VAT on Hire Purchase 205 2
- "Audit Report" 109 1
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 494 13
- Coding Notice 238 6
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 256 6
- New business - journal entries 422 22
- Is CGT roll over relief available for let property 234 3
- Payroll software 659 16
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 285 5
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 404 10
- 100% Annual investment allowance on luxury cars 742 18
- B2B vat in the EU 197 4
- Samadian effect on self employed student support workers 207 4
- Changes to class 2 NIC's 242 3
- Client RTI Shows payments not his 206 4
- LLP as member of LLP 146 1
- Why should I retain membership? 2,856 48
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 527 7
- Auto enrolment excuses 890
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 724
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 417
- Social investment tax relief 223
- Digita Hosted Software 218
- accounting for this transaction 205
- Call Centre Data Costs 205
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 183
- Travel costs and contractors 178
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 176