LLPs and Salaried Partners
I have a client who is currently working via a managed service company, earning salary and dividend and claiming various expenses related to the jobs he undertakes. He works in a fairly specialised role for several client companies and his "jobs" can last anything from a couple of days to a couple of years, often running concurrently with each other. He is looking at his options in April when HMRC bring in the new MSC legislation. He has already decided that incorporating his own Ltd Co is an absolute last resort as he does not want the hassle or responsibility of being a director and having to oversee most of his own admin. His expected income based on last year will be borderline higher rate as well, just to complicate things!
He has been offered the option to join an LLP, where he will be paid via a combination of salary (they have said he will be a salaried partner and that his salary will be a minimum-wage level one) and profit-share on the balance of his gross weekly income, and has asked me for my opinion of the impact of such a scheme on his take-home pay. The advantage of this over continuing with his MSC is that he will still be able to claim the majority of his work-related expenses including mileage to his various projects.
I have told him I haven't a clue! But will do some research on his behalf and present him with some hopefully unbiased information. The first thing that appears to have come up is whether or not he can actually be a "salaried" partner and have profit share as well, it appears that he has to be one or the other.
The next thing is that assuming that this is the case and that as a salaried partner he will have to fund the partnership's employers NI on his wage out of his gross income, I feel that he would actually be marginally better off being taxed on his profit share anyway.
Your opinions and comments would be much appreciated, as I am groping in the dark here!
- fraud 349 1
- Optimum salary for directors appointed part way through the year 174 3
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 108 2
- Which purchase date should I consider in the asset register 177 2
- UK property, split year non-UK reisdent help 64 1
- VAT on employee loan 345 6
- Interest, surcharges and interest on late payment of tax 148 3
- Travel expenses from Spain to the UK - tax deductible ? 279 9
- Auto enrolment 1,477 14
- Charity requirements to report ALL I&E in accounts 171 3
- Client's company struck off 606 17
- Extension of lease in flat management company 106 1
- Does SMP and SPP go up if leave goes across 2 tax years? 199 7
- Does a building subcontractor charge VAT on his labour on a new-build? 346 9
- Practice Company Secretarial Software recommendations please 112 1
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 201 3
- Sole trader startup losses and PAYE income in same year 142 3
- Anyone had this problem?? 727 19
- Input VAT suffered in EU 160 3
- Investment property? 106 2
- QROP pension input amounts 470
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 426
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 408
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 258
- EPS and CIS deductions 248
- Construction CIS LLP Company 242
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 200
- SAGE winforecast 174
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 166
- Managing deliberate defaulters hmrc 156