Management vs statutory accounts - who should do what?
Do Accountants and Accounts software designers still think that SMEs should not be able to draw up accounts in statutory format? Recent questions/answers (see below) suggest to me that at least some do think this.
Gone are the days when SMEs could only realistically do the book-keeping and needed others to turn it into financials. Modern software puts the dividing line at a much higher level.
In my SME we want to have all this information available - we understand it and think that it is part of runnning the business. However, I guess that, because this is "AccountingWeb", answers will argue to preserve portions of the work for only those Qualified to do it.
Our SME does employ an Accountant - & he's great. But I think he would agree that working electonically at the year end would be far simplified if I can produce (and look at before I send to his team) the draft summaries in various formats, including statutory format.
[E.g. one of the niggles is that Line 50's P&L doesn't separate out Interest Earned from Sales.]
My own profession (statistician) had to come to terms with this sort of thing a few decades ago with a plethora of stats packages and percieved loss of business for the professionals. All its really done is to remove a lot of dross and make the professional job more interesting.
BTW: I learnt from an answer to 'Charity Accounts Foftware' that "Sage have two accounts products,
Sage Accounts Production (SAP) and Sage Accounts Production Advanced (SAPA)." So I requested brochures from Sage. The guy who sent them (very promptly) asked me how many number of companies I need to produce accounts for. I emailed back that I'm an SME not an Accounting Practice. He replied: "We have a separate division which deals specifically with Industry, I look after accountants only." (so he's forwarded my email).
I'm interested to know if this just Sage's approach - or do all UK accounting software suppliers have quite distinct products/support/teams for the Profefssion and the ROW?
- Wrong tax code 115 5
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 1,033 31
- Am I getting Soft?? 183 9
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 624 11
- Deferred Tax 453 8
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 200 1
- You know its over 464 6
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 237 1
- Benefit in Kind 211 5
- Foreign pension tax credit relief 134 1
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 217 3
- RTI and corrections to payroll 1,260 14
- Cocaine anyone? 598 10
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 133 2
- Dutch and Germany VAT 178 3
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 299 2
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 487 15
- LTD home office - would HMRC seek to disallow 1,301 8
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 534 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 268 13
- Hive up 505
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 472
- corporate hierarchy 448
- Advice - 286
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 232
- WWOOFers 227
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 214
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 191
- The booking.com con 166
- UK State pension paid in NZ 160