Management vs statutory accounts - who should do what?
Do Accountants and Accounts software designers still think that SMEs should not be able to draw up accounts in statutory format? Recent questions/answers (see below) suggest to me that at least some do think this.
Gone are the days when SMEs could only realistically do the book-keeping and needed others to turn it into financials. Modern software puts the dividing line at a much higher level.
In my SME we want to have all this information available - we understand it and think that it is part of runnning the business. However, I guess that, because this is "AccountingWeb", answers will argue to preserve portions of the work for only those Qualified to do it.
Our SME does employ an Accountant - & he's great. But I think he would agree that working electonically at the year end would be far simplified if I can produce (and look at before I send to his team) the draft summaries in various formats, including statutory format.
[E.g. one of the niggles is that Line 50's P&L doesn't separate out Interest Earned from Sales.]
My own profession (statistician) had to come to terms with this sort of thing a few decades ago with a plethora of stats packages and percieved loss of business for the professionals. All its really done is to remove a lot of dross and make the professional job more interesting.
BTW: I learnt from an answer to 'Charity Accounts Foftware' that "Sage have two accounts products,
Sage Accounts Production (SAP) and Sage Accounts Production Advanced (SAPA)." So I requested brochures from Sage. The guy who sent them (very promptly) asked me how many number of companies I need to produce accounts for. I emailed back that I'm an SME not an Accounting Practice. He replied: "We have a separate division which deals specifically with Industry, I look after accountants only." (so he's forwarded my email).
I'm interested to know if this just Sage's approach - or do all UK accounting software suppliers have quite distinct products/support/teams for the Profefssion and the ROW?
- VAT on employee loan 336 6
- Interest, surcharges and interest on late payment of tax 134 3
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 63 1
- Travel expenses from Spain to the UK - tax deductible ? 260 9
- Auto enrolment 1,464 14
- Charity requirements to report ALL I&E in accounts 163 3
- Client's company struck off 583 17
- Optimum salary for directors appointed part way through the year 130 1
- Extension of lease in flat management company 97 1
- Does SMP and SPP go up if leave goes across 2 tax years? 194 7
- Does a building subcontractor charge VAT on his labour on a new-build? 336 9
- Practice Company Secretarial Software recommendations please 107 1
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 192 3
- Sole trader startup losses and PAYE income in same year 133 3
- Anyone had this problem?? 716 19
- Input VAT suffered in EU 155 3
- Investment property? 100 2
- Do you charge fee or % for Successful appeal against HMRC penalties? 1,624 23
- Sole Trader Cessation 178 2
- VAT flat rate scheme 341 6
- QROP pension input amounts 470
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 425
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 408
- fraud 338
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 258
- EPS and CIS deductions 247
- Construction CIS LLP Company 242
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 199
- SAGE winforecast 170
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 166