Management vs statutory accounts - who should do what?
Do Accountants and Accounts software designers still think that SMEs should not be able to draw up accounts in statutory format? Recent questions/answers (see below) suggest to me that at least some do think this.
Gone are the days when SMEs could only realistically do the book-keeping and needed others to turn it into financials. Modern software puts the dividing line at a much higher level.
In my SME we want to have all this information available - we understand it and think that it is part of runnning the business. However, I guess that, because this is "AccountingWeb", answers will argue to preserve portions of the work for only those Qualified to do it.
Our SME does employ an Accountant - & he's great. But I think he would agree that working electonically at the year end would be far simplified if I can produce (and look at before I send to his team) the draft summaries in various formats, including statutory format.
[E.g. one of the niggles is that Line 50's P&L doesn't separate out Interest Earned from Sales.]
My own profession (statistician) had to come to terms with this sort of thing a few decades ago with a plethora of stats packages and percieved loss of business for the professionals. All its really done is to remove a lot of dross and make the professional job more interesting.
BTW: I learnt from an answer to 'Charity Accounts Foftware' that "Sage have two accounts products,
Sage Accounts Production (SAP) and Sage Accounts Production Advanced (SAPA)." So I requested brochures from Sage. The guy who sent them (very promptly) asked me how many number of companies I need to produce accounts for. I emailed back that I'm an SME not an Accounting Practice. He replied: "We have a separate division which deals specifically with Industry, I look after accountants only." (so he's forwarded my email).
I'm interested to know if this just Sage's approach - or do all UK accounting software suppliers have quite distinct products/support/teams for the Profefssion and the ROW?
- client can't/won't pay 1,773 35
- Charitable Company's Accounts 23 1
- 31 Jan Procrastination Question: Computer Monitors 169 8
- Director drawings 105 7
- Carrying forward self employment losses 149 8
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 386 18
- Client forgot to sign paper return and has gone on holidays 505 19
- Child Benefit Higher Income Tax Charge 92 3
- The Copyright Licensing Agency 81 2
- Balancing allowance/charge calculation on cessation of self-employment 26 1
- how much to charge 240 6
- Charities and VAT 136 11
- Rental losses 85 2
- EIS reinvestment relief 195 13
- VAT on Vocational Training Courses supplied to a Charity Org? 163 3
- HMRC SA system 104 2
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 1,515 53
- Company dividends 872 36
- Anybody received an Employer Payment Booklet for 2015-2016? 181 5
- Simplified use of home - contradiction 104 2
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 898
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 594
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 565
- Latest phishing scam 522
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 369
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 337
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 275
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 193
- Capital allowances in first basis period 173
- Sabbatical payments 167