Management vs statutory accounts - who should do what?
Do Accountants and Accounts software designers still think that SMEs should not be able to draw up accounts in statutory format? Recent questions/answers (see below) suggest to me that at least some do think this.
Gone are the days when SMEs could only realistically do the book-keeping and needed others to turn it into financials. Modern software puts the dividing line at a much higher level.
In my SME we want to have all this information available - we understand it and think that it is part of runnning the business. However, I guess that, because this is "AccountingWeb", answers will argue to preserve portions of the work for only those Qualified to do it.
Our SME does employ an Accountant - & he's great. But I think he would agree that working electonically at the year end would be far simplified if I can produce (and look at before I send to his team) the draft summaries in various formats, including statutory format.
[E.g. one of the niggles is that Line 50's P&L doesn't separate out Interest Earned from Sales.]
My own profession (statistician) had to come to terms with this sort of thing a few decades ago with a plethora of stats packages and percieved loss of business for the professionals. All its really done is to remove a lot of dross and make the professional job more interesting.
BTW: I learnt from an answer to 'Charity Accounts Foftware' that "Sage have two accounts products,
Sage Accounts Production (SAP) and Sage Accounts Production Advanced (SAPA)." So I requested brochures from Sage. The guy who sent them (very promptly) asked me how many number of companies I need to produce accounts for. I emailed back that I'm an SME not an Accounting Practice. He replied: "We have a separate division which deals specifically with Industry, I look after accountants only." (so he's forwarded my email).
I'm interested to know if this just Sage's approach - or do all UK accounting software suppliers have quite distinct products/support/teams for the Profefssion and the ROW?
- Can anyone advise on the best VAT Scheme to change to? 238 4
- Apologies for reposting this but first post was on Friday afternoon! 309 2
- CT600 Computations - Company Tax Return help 1,269 14
- Sage Bank Reconciliation 117 2
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 400 15
- Companies House incorporation service 309 12
- Factors affecting tax charge FRS 19 (marginal rate) 43 1
- P35 and Service Company questions 111 3
- VAT chargeable to conference attendees 185 6
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 134 1
- Long period of account for Corporation Tax 199 7
- Flat Rate VAT and EU sales (Non VAT) 129 3
- NIC £2000 Allowance - Care Support Worker 126 3
- VAT, vans, sole traders and business use. 1,582 12
- Share Capital 101 2
- Trading income or not? 163 1
- Charge HMRC 386 3
- FRS17 query 228 2
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,768 44
- If I repay my Directors loan, will I haveto pay tax on the profit ? 2,672 29
- Xtuple 543
- Qtac payroll for bureau 373
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 315
- Industrial & Provident Societies 309
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 287
- CIS schemes 220
- Domain name sale and limited company 203
- Investment 183
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 179
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 177