Management vs statutory accounts - who should do what?
Do Accountants and Accounts software designers still think that SMEs should not be able to draw up accounts in statutory format? Recent questions/answers (see below) suggest to me that at least some do think this.
Gone are the days when SMEs could only realistically do the book-keeping and needed others to turn it into financials. Modern software puts the dividing line at a much higher level.
In my SME we want to have all this information available - we understand it and think that it is part of runnning the business. However, I guess that, because this is "AccountingWeb", answers will argue to preserve portions of the work for only those Qualified to do it.
Our SME does employ an Accountant - & he's great. But I think he would agree that working electonically at the year end would be far simplified if I can produce (and look at before I send to his team) the draft summaries in various formats, including statutory format.
[E.g. one of the niggles is that Line 50's P&L doesn't separate out Interest Earned from Sales.]
My own profession (statistician) had to come to terms with this sort of thing a few decades ago with a plethora of stats packages and percieved loss of business for the professionals. All its really done is to remove a lot of dross and make the professional job more interesting.
BTW: I learnt from an answer to 'Charity Accounts Foftware' that "Sage have two accounts products,
Sage Accounts Production (SAP) and Sage Accounts Production Advanced (SAPA)." So I requested brochures from Sage. The guy who sent them (very promptly) asked me how many number of companies I need to produce accounts for. I emailed back that I'm an SME not an Accounting Practice. He replied: "We have a separate division which deals specifically with Industry, I look after accountants only." (so he's forwarded my email).
I'm interested to know if this just Sage's approach - or do all UK accounting software suppliers have quite distinct products/support/teams for the Profefssion and the ROW?
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 2,393 22
- Expenses Apps 253 5
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 2,670 25
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 525 10
- Errors in prior year accounts 862 23
- What is going on with VAT applications?? 1,990 39
- VAT & capitalising 141 3
- Final year's accounts 172 1
- Do I Need A Balance Sheet? 331 5
- Self Assessment Tax Return Penalties 315 5
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 319 7
- Filing FPS early with moneysoft 270 15
- Have we a distribution when we reduced our capital but it hadn't been registered? & tax implications in winding up 156 2
- What are options for non CA firm 1,990 36
- Invoice Help 262 7
- Summer evenings and ponderings of capital allowances 196 3
- Employee overpaid who has left 263 4
- Limited Company keeping receipts 251 3
- Sorry ignore me 923 24
- Donaldson v HMRC case being heard tomorrow! 602 5
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 626
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 534
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 298
- Cancelled 285
- Cancelled 246
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 195
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 192
- Probiz 180
- Married woman dies owning marital home 171
- What's the market like for temps? 168