Management vs statutory accounts - who should do what?
Do Accountants and Accounts software designers still think that SMEs should not be able to draw up accounts in statutory format? Recent questions/answers (see below) suggest to me that at least some do think this.
Gone are the days when SMEs could only realistically do the book-keeping and needed others to turn it into financials. Modern software puts the dividing line at a much higher level.
In my SME we want to have all this information available - we understand it and think that it is part of runnning the business. However, I guess that, because this is "AccountingWeb", answers will argue to preserve portions of the work for only those Qualified to do it.
Our SME does employ an Accountant - & he's great. But I think he would agree that working electonically at the year end would be far simplified if I can produce (and look at before I send to his team) the draft summaries in various formats, including statutory format.
[E.g. one of the niggles is that Line 50's P&L doesn't separate out Interest Earned from Sales.]
My own profession (statistician) had to come to terms with this sort of thing a few decades ago with a plethora of stats packages and percieved loss of business for the professionals. All its really done is to remove a lot of dross and make the professional job more interesting.
BTW: I learnt from an answer to 'Charity Accounts Foftware' that "Sage have two accounts products,
Sage Accounts Production (SAP) and Sage Accounts Production Advanced (SAPA)." So I requested brochures from Sage. The guy who sent them (very promptly) asked me how many number of companies I need to produce accounts for. I emailed back that I'm an SME not an Accounting Practice. He replied: "We have a separate division which deals specifically with Industry, I look after accountants only." (so he's forwarded my email).
I'm interested to know if this just Sage's approach - or do all UK accounting software suppliers have quite distinct products/support/teams for the Profefssion and the ROW?
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 773 32
- VAT Invoice 75 3
- IHT and Swiss Property 104 1
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 175 3
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 128 7
- General tax book with planning 99 1
- Gift of property & improvements 77 1
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 241 10
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 119 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 413 10
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 341 8
- Help with tax codes on Sage 233 1
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 157 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 249 4
- Accounting for a finance lease 153 4
- SA302's anyone?? 519 16
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,630 41
- Renting for military reasons 178 2
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 1,570 18
- Moneysoft Payroll Windows 8.1 Woes - Help! 1,042 18
- Skandia using wrong address 1,617
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 896
- International interest certificate 509
- NOVA 367
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 288
- Management expenses for investment company 261
- Bonus Bonds 259
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 171
- tax on apprenticeship income 166
- P11D benefit received by widow 147