Management vs statutory accounts - who should do what?
Do Accountants and Accounts software designers still think that SMEs should not be able to draw up accounts in statutory format? Recent questions/answers (see below) suggest to me that at least some do think this.
Gone are the days when SMEs could only realistically do the book-keeping and needed others to turn it into financials. Modern software puts the dividing line at a much higher level.
In my SME we want to have all this information available - we understand it and think that it is part of runnning the business. However, I guess that, because this is "AccountingWeb", answers will argue to preserve portions of the work for only those Qualified to do it.
Our SME does employ an Accountant - & he's great. But I think he would agree that working electonically at the year end would be far simplified if I can produce (and look at before I send to his team) the draft summaries in various formats, including statutory format.
[E.g. one of the niggles is that Line 50's P&L doesn't separate out Interest Earned from Sales.]
My own profession (statistician) had to come to terms with this sort of thing a few decades ago with a plethora of stats packages and percieved loss of business for the professionals. All its really done is to remove a lot of dross and make the professional job more interesting.
BTW: I learnt from an answer to 'Charity Accounts Foftware' that "Sage have two accounts products,
Sage Accounts Production (SAP) and Sage Accounts Production Advanced (SAPA)." So I requested brochures from Sage. The guy who sent them (very promptly) asked me how many number of companies I need to produce accounts for. I emailed back that I'm an SME not an Accounting Practice. He replied: "We have a separate division which deals specifically with Industry, I look after accountants only." (so he's forwarded my email).
I'm interested to know if this just Sage's approach - or do all UK accounting software suppliers have quite distinct products/support/teams for the Profefssion and the ROW?
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,186 41
- buying asset and settling vendor's debt 215 6
- Xerocon 2016 1,006 23
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 225 7
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 583 12
- Personal Tax 481 11
- USA Tax Query 152 1
- Disengagement Help! 1,658 25
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 942 6
- Expenses paid by director (the comapny owner) 273 2
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 597 18
- Corrupt Excel File 674 10
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 347 4
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,975 43
- Locked Out of HMRC Online Account - HMRC Not Responding 290 2
- Re-Training costs - tax reief 401 7
- Capital Gain on Share Disposal with Held Over Gains 164 1
- 64-8's amazingly quick 315 4
- last minute request 503 5
- VAT - Check on clients business 1,253 46