Management vs statutory accounts - who should do what?
Do Accountants and Accounts software designers still think that SMEs should not be able to draw up accounts in statutory format? Recent questions/answers (see below) suggest to me that at least some do think this.
Gone are the days when SMEs could only realistically do the book-keeping and needed others to turn it into financials. Modern software puts the dividing line at a much higher level.
In my SME we want to have all this information available - we understand it and think that it is part of runnning the business. However, I guess that, because this is "AccountingWeb", answers will argue to preserve portions of the work for only those Qualified to do it.
Our SME does employ an Accountant - & he's great. But I think he would agree that working electonically at the year end would be far simplified if I can produce (and look at before I send to his team) the draft summaries in various formats, including statutory format.
[E.g. one of the niggles is that Line 50's P&L doesn't separate out Interest Earned from Sales.]
My own profession (statistician) had to come to terms with this sort of thing a few decades ago with a plethora of stats packages and percieved loss of business for the professionals. All its really done is to remove a lot of dross and make the professional job more interesting.
BTW: I learnt from an answer to 'Charity Accounts Foftware' that "Sage have two accounts products,
Sage Accounts Production (SAP) and Sage Accounts Production Advanced (SAPA)." So I requested brochures from Sage. The guy who sent them (very promptly) asked me how many number of companies I need to produce accounts for. I emailed back that I'm an SME not an Accounting Practice. He replied: "We have a separate division which deals specifically with Industry, I look after accountants only." (so he's forwarded my email).
I'm interested to know if this just Sage's approach - or do all UK accounting software suppliers have quite distinct products/support/teams for the Profefssion and the ROW?
- Funding Circle experience 98 2
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,213 13
- Excel query 41 1
- Payment on account penalties 66 3
- Tax on free shares 101 5
- Flat Rate Vat 14.5% and 5% reduced rate VAT 177 3
- What font do you prefer to use for correspondence? 179 8
- Capital allowances on sale and puchase of business assets 111 1
- Audit 455 14
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 379 8
- PPR relief and half hectare rule 105 3
- Buying a horse?? 389 12
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 180 2
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 743 21
- PITA ex-client 216 9
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 241 6
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 350 9
- Can I contribute to SIPP if I pay no salary/dividend from ltd company 320 5
- How to complain about HMRC 1,664 19
- New supplier 149 3
- CTA study material 800
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 491
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 452
- Employment related securities question 317
- AIM Stocks and IHT 304
- Expat pension contributions? 277
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 274
- Trust for Employee 253
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 219
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 157