Management vs statutory accounts - who should do what?
Do Accountants and Accounts software designers still think that SMEs should not be able to draw up accounts in statutory format? Recent questions/answers (see below) suggest to me that at least some do think this.
Gone are the days when SMEs could only realistically do the book-keeping and needed others to turn it into financials. Modern software puts the dividing line at a much higher level.
In my SME we want to have all this information available - we understand it and think that it is part of runnning the business. However, I guess that, because this is "AccountingWeb", answers will argue to preserve portions of the work for only those Qualified to do it.
Our SME does employ an Accountant - & he's great. But I think he would agree that working electonically at the year end would be far simplified if I can produce (and look at before I send to his team) the draft summaries in various formats, including statutory format.
[E.g. one of the niggles is that Line 50's P&L doesn't separate out Interest Earned from Sales.]
My own profession (statistician) had to come to terms with this sort of thing a few decades ago with a plethora of stats packages and percieved loss of business for the professionals. All its really done is to remove a lot of dross and make the professional job more interesting.
BTW: I learnt from an answer to 'Charity Accounts Foftware' that "Sage have two accounts products,
Sage Accounts Production (SAP) and Sage Accounts Production Advanced (SAPA)." So I requested brochures from Sage. The guy who sent them (very promptly) asked me how many number of companies I need to produce accounts for. I emailed back that I'm an SME not an Accounting Practice. He replied: "We have a separate division which deals specifically with Industry, I look after accountants only." (so he's forwarded my email).
I'm interested to know if this just Sage's approach - or do all UK accounting software suppliers have quite distinct products/support/teams for the Profefssion and the ROW?
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,825 41
- Coming off flat rate VAT 144 1
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 199 6
- Auto Enrolment - Help each other by sharing known problems 730 14
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 809 1
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 479 10
- Real time 204 2
- Withdrawal of a quote 433 7
- Opt To Tax Refund 261 3
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 254 2
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 237 5
- New (non resident) client not filed in 20 years 616 15
- When to top-up pensions? 204 2
- Support / ticketing software 340 11
- Are Tax Agents designed out of online systems? 337 3
- Imported goods and VAT 158 1
- Annual Return for company for whom director/shareholder has died 445 15
- Divorcing husband, both 50% owners of a Ltd business 600 11
- Stamp Duty 208 3
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,877 22
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 473
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 290
- DTA tie-breaker issue 281
- CGT for NOn UK residents 245
- Apprenticeship Levy 220
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 220
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 213
- Just checking re PSA 198
- Capital Gains personal representatives 196
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 180