Masters - tax deductible? | AccountingWEB

Masters - tax deductible?


A photgrapher completes a Masters Degree in Documentary Photography / Photo Journalism. he is already an established (self-employed) photographer and did the course to update his existing skills / learn about the advancements in development techniques / using new equipment etc. He wants to claim the cost of the course as Continued Professional Development and I am unsure as to whether this is allowable. I know an MBA is not allowable but in the case of HMRC v Banerjee (see link - the decision to allow the CPD costs was upheld.

I have been reading (and re-reading) HMRC leaflets - in particular this guidance by HMRC -

Can anybody give me some advice please? Without keeping up to date with developments he will be unable to produce work of a high quality that will get him more work (and ultimatley pay more tax!) but there is a niggling doubt that it is acceptable. Many thanks.

There are 16 comments. Login or register to view them.

Claim it and see

cymraeg_draig |
cymraeg_draig's picture

My opinion

sijolees |


Cirius di Lemma |

I'm with CD

Steve Holloway |
Steve Holloway's picture

If in doubt

cymraeg_draig |
cymraeg_draig's picture

Update of existing skills.

bunnysnap |

In the minority

sijolees |

Disallow as self-employed

frauke |

Main purpose?

shoshana |

Capital or revenue

dwgw |

well there is disagreement

carnmores |
carnmores's picture

AIA on capital expenditure

bunnysnap |

Capital but no allowance

sijolees |


Cirius di Lemma |

Not a qualifying asset

shoshana |

Exam question