May I have this Community's help please
I know we cannot hide behind the old agent and the client is unlikely to sue them for compensation.
The matter is before the Commissioners in early December. I will not claim 'reasonable excuse' for the non-submission of the Return, just that the amount is unreasonable.
Do the Commissioners have the power to vary the penalty if they agree that HMRC have acted unreasonably? The Clerk is very able (a solicitor) and I fear he will tell me going in that I cannot argue this.
Can anyone quote from similar experiences or name precedents to support me?
My grounds for saying that the penalty is unreasonable
In every other field I know of (CT, Self Assessment etc), HMRC send out regular statements of account. If you fail to file a Return by the first deadline, you get a penalty notice. So when you get the second penalty, you ought to know what you are in for. Besides, the first penalty will have triggered a series of statements of account.
By contrast, for Employers' PAYE they regularly save things until NINE penalties have fallen due - a "nice little earner" I have called it. If there are nine penalties, there should be nine Notices. If there is one notice, there should only be one penalty.
Most interesting is to examine why this is. I believe it is simply technical failings in their systems. We know that there are still 12 PAYE computers which we are told is why we cannot see statements of account online as we do with the other taxes. But that should not prevent Employers from being sent Statements of Account as a matter of course. I consistently find advising Employers about their liabilities the most difficult - like "seeing through a glass darkly".
And then there is the reason for the 9 months' delay. For the three years I have been involved with online P35s, that is about how long we have had to wait for things to process, due to the monstrous cock-ups with a system that makes us file by late May but cannot process without human intervention the other end.
Your comments please - I will tell you how we get on before the Commissioners. I think there is trouble ahead with CIS so this may be a useful topic for debate.
- Private residence relief with entrepreneur relief mix 256 3
- Weely paid employees 230 3
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 122 3
- Reregister for VAT 100 1
- Would this save hours of your time? 436 11
- Director's tax return 250 6
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 199 6
- Value pricing 674 23
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 66 2
- Producing graphical KPI's etc 183 5
- Wrong career 458 18
- Payroo Employer allowance query 129 1
- MONEYSOFT - EARLIER YEAR UPDATE 267 7
- Laptop purchase 1,376 20
- PTP software disaster 261 2
- CIS repayment shambles finally over? 223 2
- Treatment of EU Purchases on Sage 98 2
- Tricky VAT question 173 1
- VT accounts licence key 264 5
- Splitting the tax year 108 1
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 792
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 547
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 413
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 292
- Free Tax Legislation? 261
- Director Loan account operation 243
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 237
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 236
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 229
- Paye procedures for CVA 159