May I have this Community's help please
I know we cannot hide behind the old agent and the client is unlikely to sue them for compensation.
The matter is before the Commissioners in early December. I will not claim 'reasonable excuse' for the non-submission of the Return, just that the amount is unreasonable.
Do the Commissioners have the power to vary the penalty if they agree that HMRC have acted unreasonably? The Clerk is very able (a solicitor) and I fear he will tell me going in that I cannot argue this.
Can anyone quote from similar experiences or name precedents to support me?
My grounds for saying that the penalty is unreasonable
In every other field I know of (CT, Self Assessment etc), HMRC send out regular statements of account. If you fail to file a Return by the first deadline, you get a penalty notice. So when you get the second penalty, you ought to know what you are in for. Besides, the first penalty will have triggered a series of statements of account.
By contrast, for Employers' PAYE they regularly save things until NINE penalties have fallen due - a "nice little earner" I have called it. If there are nine penalties, there should be nine Notices. If there is one notice, there should only be one penalty.
Most interesting is to examine why this is. I believe it is simply technical failings in their systems. We know that there are still 12 PAYE computers which we are told is why we cannot see statements of account online as we do with the other taxes. But that should not prevent Employers from being sent Statements of Account as a matter of course. I consistently find advising Employers about their liabilities the most difficult - like "seeing through a glass darkly".
And then there is the reason for the 9 months' delay. For the three years I have been involved with online P35s, that is about how long we have had to wait for things to process, due to the monstrous cock-ups with a system that makes us file by late May but cannot process without human intervention the other end.
Your comments please - I will tell you how we get on before the Commissioners. I think there is trouble ahead with CIS so this may be a useful topic for debate.
- Cloud accounting package 105 1
- Incorporation after the start of trading 984 39
- Do I walk away from these accounts? 774 14
- Setting up offshore to avoid paying VAT 481 15
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 238 6
- Offshore company (Guernsey / Isle of Man) 141 3
- PAYE – Directors NI 222 6
- Next Move 313 12
- Ltd Co and 'grant' income 391 7
- when to file SA return if closed SA in the middle of the year 170 4
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 218 3
- Large PAYE tax refund to Employee 333 3
- Personal Tax Accounts. Are we all doomed. 698 10
- Accounts treatment of assets at cessation date 266 10
- Seeking advice: Vehicle usage 153 3
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,224 34
- Casual Driver 243 4
- Self Assessment Software 631 20
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 342 7
- How does HMRC give tax relief to Muslims for borrowing costs? 1,257 10
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 630
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 394
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 393
- Property letting & CAs 376
- 2015 tax year end 371
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 369
- FCA regulated company in a small group 335
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 230
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 223
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 217