May I have this Community's help please
I know we cannot hide behind the old agent and the client is unlikely to sue them for compensation.
The matter is before the Commissioners in early December. I will not claim 'reasonable excuse' for the non-submission of the Return, just that the amount is unreasonable.
Do the Commissioners have the power to vary the penalty if they agree that HMRC have acted unreasonably? The Clerk is very able (a solicitor) and I fear he will tell me going in that I cannot argue this.
Can anyone quote from similar experiences or name precedents to support me?
My grounds for saying that the penalty is unreasonable
In every other field I know of (CT, Self Assessment etc), HMRC send out regular statements of account. If you fail to file a Return by the first deadline, you get a penalty notice. So when you get the second penalty, you ought to know what you are in for. Besides, the first penalty will have triggered a series of statements of account.
By contrast, for Employers' PAYE they regularly save things until NINE penalties have fallen due - a "nice little earner" I have called it. If there are nine penalties, there should be nine Notices. If there is one notice, there should only be one penalty.
Most interesting is to examine why this is. I believe it is simply technical failings in their systems. We know that there are still 12 PAYE computers which we are told is why we cannot see statements of account online as we do with the other taxes. But that should not prevent Employers from being sent Statements of Account as a matter of course. I consistently find advising Employers about their liabilities the most difficult - like "seeing through a glass darkly".
And then there is the reason for the 9 months' delay. For the three years I have been involved with online P35s, that is about how long we have had to wait for things to process, due to the monstrous cock-ups with a system that makes us file by late May but cannot process without human intervention the other end.
Your comments please - I will tell you how we get on before the Commissioners. I think there is trouble ahead with CIS so this may be a useful topic for debate.
- Limited company buying a car 139 4
- Goodwill omitted from first years accounts 257 15
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 458 10
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 544 6
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 167 7
- Travel and Subsistence expenses while abroad 286 4
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 106 2
- ACCA practice certificates 492 5
- Limited company buying director's car 286 10
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 74 1
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 90 1
- WC's and capital allowances 172 3
- Entrepeneurs relief 300 13
- Dress code 1,545 36
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 477 13
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 256 6
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 377 4
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 472 23
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 184 4
- Loan Repayment on Invoice 105 3
- CTA study material 769
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 477
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 396
- Employment related securities question 308
- AIM Stocks and IHT 279
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 257
- Expat pension contributions? 255
- Trust for Employee 236
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 174
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 147