May I have this Community's help please
I know we cannot hide behind the old agent and the client is unlikely to sue them for compensation.
The matter is before the Commissioners in early December. I will not claim 'reasonable excuse' for the non-submission of the Return, just that the amount is unreasonable.
Do the Commissioners have the power to vary the penalty if they agree that HMRC have acted unreasonably? The Clerk is very able (a solicitor) and I fear he will tell me going in that I cannot argue this.
Can anyone quote from similar experiences or name precedents to support me?
My grounds for saying that the penalty is unreasonable
In every other field I know of (CT, Self Assessment etc), HMRC send out regular statements of account. If you fail to file a Return by the first deadline, you get a penalty notice. So when you get the second penalty, you ought to know what you are in for. Besides, the first penalty will have triggered a series of statements of account.
By contrast, for Employers' PAYE they regularly save things until NINE penalties have fallen due - a "nice little earner" I have called it. If there are nine penalties, there should be nine Notices. If there is one notice, there should only be one penalty.
Most interesting is to examine why this is. I believe it is simply technical failings in their systems. We know that there are still 12 PAYE computers which we are told is why we cannot see statements of account online as we do with the other taxes. But that should not prevent Employers from being sent Statements of Account as a matter of course. I consistently find advising Employers about their liabilities the most difficult - like "seeing through a glass darkly".
And then there is the reason for the 9 months' delay. For the three years I have been involved with online P35s, that is about how long we have had to wait for things to process, due to the monstrous cock-ups with a system that makes us file by late May but cannot process without human intervention the other end.
Your comments please - I will tell you how we get on before the Commissioners. I think there is trouble ahead with CIS so this may be a useful topic for debate.
- Bereavment payment 99 3
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 485 18
- Double tax treaty Italy and UK 100 1
- Anyone Heard of This Outfit? 1,112 7
- Can anyone advise on the best VAT Scheme to change to? 273 4
- Apologies for reposting this but first post was on Friday afternoon! 347 2
- CT600 Computations - Company Tax Return help 1,295 14
- Sage Bank Reconciliation 151 2
- Companies House incorporation service 350 12
- Factors affecting tax charge FRS 19 (marginal rate) 79 1
- P35 and Service Company questions 152 3
- VAT chargeable to conference attendees 194 6
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 207 1
- Long period of account for Corporation Tax 269 7
- Flat Rate VAT and EU sales (Non VAT) 144 3
- NIC £2000 Allowance - Care Support Worker 154 3
- VAT, vans, sole traders and business use. 1,599 12
- Share Capital 135 2
- Trading income or not? 200 1
- Charge HMRC 429 3
- Xtuple 549
- Qtac payroll for bureau 376
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 320
- Industrial & Provident Societies 314
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 294
- CIS schemes 224
- Domain name sale and limited company 205
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 188
- Investment 187
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 179