May I have this Community's help please
I know we cannot hide behind the old agent and the client is unlikely to sue them for compensation.
The matter is before the Commissioners in early December. I will not claim 'reasonable excuse' for the non-submission of the Return, just that the amount is unreasonable.
Do the Commissioners have the power to vary the penalty if they agree that HMRC have acted unreasonably? The Clerk is very able (a solicitor) and I fear he will tell me going in that I cannot argue this.
Can anyone quote from similar experiences or name precedents to support me?
My grounds for saying that the penalty is unreasonable
In every other field I know of (CT, Self Assessment etc), HMRC send out regular statements of account. If you fail to file a Return by the first deadline, you get a penalty notice. So when you get the second penalty, you ought to know what you are in for. Besides, the first penalty will have triggered a series of statements of account.
By contrast, for Employers' PAYE they regularly save things until NINE penalties have fallen due - a "nice little earner" I have called it. If there are nine penalties, there should be nine Notices. If there is one notice, there should only be one penalty.
Most interesting is to examine why this is. I believe it is simply technical failings in their systems. We know that there are still 12 PAYE computers which we are told is why we cannot see statements of account online as we do with the other taxes. But that should not prevent Employers from being sent Statements of Account as a matter of course. I consistently find advising Employers about their liabilities the most difficult - like "seeing through a glass darkly".
And then there is the reason for the 9 months' delay. For the three years I have been involved with online P35s, that is about how long we have had to wait for things to process, due to the monstrous cock-ups with a system that makes us file by late May but cannot process without human intervention the other end.
Your comments please - I will tell you how we get on before the Commissioners. I think there is trouble ahead with CIS so this may be a useful topic for debate.
- What do you all do in your spare time? 508 24
- Can software startup claim VAT refund during development? 129 6
- Tax implications on building an 'office' 167 2
- New client has not reported director's pay by RTI 277 7
- VAT on employee loan 237 2
- VT Final Accounts puts "Cost of Sales - Carriage" and "Cost of Sales - Other Costs" into "Other Costs". Is that compulsory? It seems mad. 149 3
- Auto Enrolment, Payroll, Small Client Advice and what to charge? 685 18
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 279 5
- Partial PPR relief to non-resident after 05 Apr 2015 144 1
- Purchased Goodwill 59 1
- Accounting Package for Projects 60 2
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 72 1
- Are accountants keeping up with the pace of change? 178 4
- Recruitment agencies 577 1
- Do you charge fee or % for Successful appeal against HMRC penalties? 510 20
- SAGE 50 PAYROLL YEAR END 192 4
- Letting Agents - requirement for audit of clients accounts 262 9
- HMRC RANT!!!! 454 8
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,367 19
- Scams are not always obvious 2,006 33
- New Fangled Penalties 1,072
- Moving away from CCH software 925
- QROP pension input amounts 423
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 370
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 334
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 309
- fraud 258
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 235
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 206
- Construction CIS LLP Company 189