May I have this Community's help please
I know we cannot hide behind the old agent and the client is unlikely to sue them for compensation.
The matter is before the Commissioners in early December. I will not claim 'reasonable excuse' for the non-submission of the Return, just that the amount is unreasonable.
Do the Commissioners have the power to vary the penalty if they agree that HMRC have acted unreasonably? The Clerk is very able (a solicitor) and I fear he will tell me going in that I cannot argue this.
Can anyone quote from similar experiences or name precedents to support me?
My grounds for saying that the penalty is unreasonable
In every other field I know of (CT, Self Assessment etc), HMRC send out regular statements of account. If you fail to file a Return by the first deadline, you get a penalty notice. So when you get the second penalty, you ought to know what you are in for. Besides, the first penalty will have triggered a series of statements of account.
By contrast, for Employers' PAYE they regularly save things until NINE penalties have fallen due - a "nice little earner" I have called it. If there are nine penalties, there should be nine Notices. If there is one notice, there should only be one penalty.
Most interesting is to examine why this is. I believe it is simply technical failings in their systems. We know that there are still 12 PAYE computers which we are told is why we cannot see statements of account online as we do with the other taxes. But that should not prevent Employers from being sent Statements of Account as a matter of course. I consistently find advising Employers about their liabilities the most difficult - like "seeing through a glass darkly".
And then there is the reason for the 9 months' delay. For the three years I have been involved with online P35s, that is about how long we have had to wait for things to process, due to the monstrous cock-ups with a system that makes us file by late May but cannot process without human intervention the other end.
Your comments please - I will tell you how we get on before the Commissioners. I think there is trouble ahead with CIS so this may be a useful topic for debate.
- Deleted question? 726 19
- Accounts Question 91 4
- What are options for non CA firm 3,168 67
- Do I need a smartphone? 1,933 69
- MAAT vs ACCA 695 13
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 1,390 24
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,919 46
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 646 3
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 433 4
- VAT Return Errors 171 2
- Adjustment to previous self assessments 119 5
- inflation rate year on year 146 3
- Yorkshire Day 599 38
- Company valuation for IHT purposes 184 4
- Principal Private Residence relief on two semis knocked together 180 4
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 379 16
- Entrepreneurs relief sale of business to two different buyers?? 146 3
- SMP reclaimable by employer 292 7
- Agent help line - long queues? 237 4
- the umbrella scheme for PAYE 153 1
- Cancelled 468
- Cancelled 386
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 375
- Probiz 356
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 261
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 236
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 230
- More spam 183
- Does anyone have SCI unit contact details? 162
- Employee Benefit Trust 152