May I have this Community's help please
I know we cannot hide behind the old agent and the client is unlikely to sue them for compensation.
The matter is before the Commissioners in early December. I will not claim 'reasonable excuse' for the non-submission of the Return, just that the amount is unreasonable.
Do the Commissioners have the power to vary the penalty if they agree that HMRC have acted unreasonably? The Clerk is very able (a solicitor) and I fear he will tell me going in that I cannot argue this.
Can anyone quote from similar experiences or name precedents to support me?
My grounds for saying that the penalty is unreasonable
In every other field I know of (CT, Self Assessment etc), HMRC send out regular statements of account. If you fail to file a Return by the first deadline, you get a penalty notice. So when you get the second penalty, you ought to know what you are in for. Besides, the first penalty will have triggered a series of statements of account.
By contrast, for Employers' PAYE they regularly save things until NINE penalties have fallen due - a "nice little earner" I have called it. If there are nine penalties, there should be nine Notices. If there is one notice, there should only be one penalty.
Most interesting is to examine why this is. I believe it is simply technical failings in their systems. We know that there are still 12 PAYE computers which we are told is why we cannot see statements of account online as we do with the other taxes. But that should not prevent Employers from being sent Statements of Account as a matter of course. I consistently find advising Employers about their liabilities the most difficult - like "seeing through a glass darkly".
And then there is the reason for the 9 months' delay. For the three years I have been involved with online P35s, that is about how long we have had to wait for things to process, due to the monstrous cock-ups with a system that makes us file by late May but cannot process without human intervention the other end.
Your comments please - I will tell you how we get on before the Commissioners. I think there is trouble ahead with CIS so this may be a useful topic for debate.
- Shortening an Accounting Reference Date 234 5
- converting garage to use as office 48 1
- Private use of vans 113 1
- My friend may have unknowingly participated in a tax avoidance scheme... 578 6
- Why are so many UK accountants reticent to make use of Indian outsourcing providers? 4,085 92
- How do I correct a previous accountants major mistake on PAYE/SA? 203 2
- Directors pension 224 3
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 604 24
- Sage Drive Queue.dta file lock out 286 5
- Bookkeeping for voluntary organisations 98 1
- accounts software for a hotel 160 4
- Final CT Return - liquidating company 86 1
- charities 167 2
- Seeking advice: Penalty for 3-year Non-notified Self-Employed? 268 3
- Worst corporate entertaining events? 1,498 12
- Company investment 310 8
- Business only use of company car 1,302 31
- New CASC rules 254 3
- How best to split income on a Buy To Let - married. How do you decide beneficial ownership 1,056 10
- valuation of vehicles 794 21
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 367
- Any thoughts on Capium? 318
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 288
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 263
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 251
- auto enrolment 231
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 222
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 176
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 158
- French ConnectionUK 157