May I have this Community's help please
I know we cannot hide behind the old agent and the client is unlikely to sue them for compensation.
The matter is before the Commissioners in early December. I will not claim 'reasonable excuse' for the non-submission of the Return, just that the amount is unreasonable.
Do the Commissioners have the power to vary the penalty if they agree that HMRC have acted unreasonably? The Clerk is very able (a solicitor) and I fear he will tell me going in that I cannot argue this.
Can anyone quote from similar experiences or name precedents to support me?
My grounds for saying that the penalty is unreasonable
In every other field I know of (CT, Self Assessment etc), HMRC send out regular statements of account. If you fail to file a Return by the first deadline, you get a penalty notice. So when you get the second penalty, you ought to know what you are in for. Besides, the first penalty will have triggered a series of statements of account.
By contrast, for Employers' PAYE they regularly save things until NINE penalties have fallen due - a "nice little earner" I have called it. If there are nine penalties, there should be nine Notices. If there is one notice, there should only be one penalty.
Most interesting is to examine why this is. I believe it is simply technical failings in their systems. We know that there are still 12 PAYE computers which we are told is why we cannot see statements of account online as we do with the other taxes. But that should not prevent Employers from being sent Statements of Account as a matter of course. I consistently find advising Employers about their liabilities the most difficult - like "seeing through a glass darkly".
And then there is the reason for the 9 months' delay. For the three years I have been involved with online P35s, that is about how long we have had to wait for things to process, due to the monstrous cock-ups with a system that makes us file by late May but cannot process without human intervention the other end.
Your comments please - I will tell you how we get on before the Commissioners. I think there is trouble ahead with CIS so this may be a useful topic for debate.
- How to prepare and Finalize Vat company accounts 33 1
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,398 59
- Investment property company accounts template 248 1
- New HMRC phone answering method ... 230 6
- Can you recognize revenue on asset sold and bought back at a later stage? 52 1
- Where can I get Quickbooks help 43 2
- Quickbooks expert needed 123 2
- Aggressive HMRC 1,191 14
- Charity reserves 58 1
- Have i messed up? 394 7
- Related Parties Note 289 6
- Client change of address for VAT - can't do it online?! 338 6
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,329 16
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 469 26
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 245 1
- End of the party for dividends? 1,241 18
- How to format a stock book 367 1
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,381 31
- Disposal of property 99 2
- Tax liability of sole trader changing to partnership 131 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 971
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 538
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 350
- Tax efficient holding company structure 277
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 260
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 209
- Charge out rates in London? 190
- Personal consumption by landlord 166
- Interest on Loan to a Company 157
- Pension contributions higher rate extension? 150