May I have this Community's help please
I know we cannot hide behind the old agent and the client is unlikely to sue them for compensation.
The matter is before the Commissioners in early December. I will not claim 'reasonable excuse' for the non-submission of the Return, just that the amount is unreasonable.
Do the Commissioners have the power to vary the penalty if they agree that HMRC have acted unreasonably? The Clerk is very able (a solicitor) and I fear he will tell me going in that I cannot argue this.
Can anyone quote from similar experiences or name precedents to support me?
My grounds for saying that the penalty is unreasonable
In every other field I know of (CT, Self Assessment etc), HMRC send out regular statements of account. If you fail to file a Return by the first deadline, you get a penalty notice. So when you get the second penalty, you ought to know what you are in for. Besides, the first penalty will have triggered a series of statements of account.
By contrast, for Employers' PAYE they regularly save things until NINE penalties have fallen due - a "nice little earner" I have called it. If there are nine penalties, there should be nine Notices. If there is one notice, there should only be one penalty.
Most interesting is to examine why this is. I believe it is simply technical failings in their systems. We know that there are still 12 PAYE computers which we are told is why we cannot see statements of account online as we do with the other taxes. But that should not prevent Employers from being sent Statements of Account as a matter of course. I consistently find advising Employers about their liabilities the most difficult - like "seeing through a glass darkly".
And then there is the reason for the 9 months' delay. For the three years I have been involved with online P35s, that is about how long we have had to wait for things to process, due to the monstrous cock-ups with a system that makes us file by late May but cannot process without human intervention the other end.
Your comments please - I will tell you how we get on before the Commissioners. I think there is trouble ahead with CIS so this may be a useful topic for debate.
- Entrepreeur's relief 11 1
- Left UK in 2006 but did not declare rental income since 2009 166 2
- A trust shall not want for a trustee 32 1
- Settlement discount 203 5
- IT advisory questions? 303 8
- Recourse to Accountant for incorrect accounts 2,562 21
- experian and credit agencies 78 1
- Homing sandwiches 566 13
- Limited company to community interest company 53 1
- How can I deal with an unethical accountant? 470 10
- How do I undo the work of a Macro in Excel 210 5
- Error in audited accounts 235 3
- CIS software 133 3
- Pratice Management Software 213 3
- Use of home query 200 2
- signature required 599 22
- Vat registration exception 217 3
- CT600 164 3
- Director appointment not valid - any observations? 225 7
- Director Personal Bank Account in company's books 535 9
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,263
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 837
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 530
- Digita Hosted Software 347
- Credit where credit's due....... 323
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 249
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 206
- TheTax Donut 191
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 169
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 167