May I have this Community's help please
I know we cannot hide behind the old agent and the client is unlikely to sue them for compensation.
The matter is before the Commissioners in early December. I will not claim 'reasonable excuse' for the non-submission of the Return, just that the amount is unreasonable.
Do the Commissioners have the power to vary the penalty if they agree that HMRC have acted unreasonably? The Clerk is very able (a solicitor) and I fear he will tell me going in that I cannot argue this.
Can anyone quote from similar experiences or name precedents to support me?
My grounds for saying that the penalty is unreasonable
In every other field I know of (CT, Self Assessment etc), HMRC send out regular statements of account. If you fail to file a Return by the first deadline, you get a penalty notice. So when you get the second penalty, you ought to know what you are in for. Besides, the first penalty will have triggered a series of statements of account.
By contrast, for Employers' PAYE they regularly save things until NINE penalties have fallen due - a "nice little earner" I have called it. If there are nine penalties, there should be nine Notices. If there is one notice, there should only be one penalty.
Most interesting is to examine why this is. I believe it is simply technical failings in their systems. We know that there are still 12 PAYE computers which we are told is why we cannot see statements of account online as we do with the other taxes. But that should not prevent Employers from being sent Statements of Account as a matter of course. I consistently find advising Employers about their liabilities the most difficult - like "seeing through a glass darkly".
And then there is the reason for the 9 months' delay. For the three years I have been involved with online P35s, that is about how long we have had to wait for things to process, due to the monstrous cock-ups with a system that makes us file by late May but cannot process without human intervention the other end.
Your comments please - I will tell you how we get on before the Commissioners. I think there is trouble ahead with CIS so this may be a useful topic for debate.
- How to convert a pdf file to.. 500 9
- Incapable of reading 198 2
- Using VT Transactions + for first time .. struggling with flat rate VAT 182 3
- How much to charge 280 4
- How to pay national insurance 229 8
- How do I create a tax journal from my corporation tax return? 234 4
- Government Gateway 1,008 16
- P11DX: change of requirement by HMRC 1,583 11
- Form 17 - legal ownership requirements 216 6
- Project Manager Consultant with Profit Share 104 1
- Related party - Transaction with sole director’s father 125 2
- P11D Rejection 389 9
- How to avoid a bankruptcy 555 14
- Selling a practice 380 5
- KPMG email campaign and impact on market 1,295 20
- Overlap relief 475 12
- Live Chat on Accountancy Website 172 1
- Dormant payroll 851 9
- Can I get around an ostrich director? 196 1
- "Can your client afford the following" 1,375 21
- Theatre Tax Relief 447
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 349
- Windows 10 on-going support ... 343
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 314
- Perkbox 280
- Self Assessment - What to enter on the return 251
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 246
- Compensation - Taxable or not then CGT or IT 244
- Document Management Systems 219
- WIP Software 209