May I have this Community's help please
I know we cannot hide behind the old agent and the client is unlikely to sue them for compensation.
The matter is before the Commissioners in early December. I will not claim 'reasonable excuse' for the non-submission of the Return, just that the amount is unreasonable.
Do the Commissioners have the power to vary the penalty if they agree that HMRC have acted unreasonably? The Clerk is very able (a solicitor) and I fear he will tell me going in that I cannot argue this.
Can anyone quote from similar experiences or name precedents to support me?
My grounds for saying that the penalty is unreasonable
In every other field I know of (CT, Self Assessment etc), HMRC send out regular statements of account. If you fail to file a Return by the first deadline, you get a penalty notice. So when you get the second penalty, you ought to know what you are in for. Besides, the first penalty will have triggered a series of statements of account.
By contrast, for Employers' PAYE they regularly save things until NINE penalties have fallen due - a "nice little earner" I have called it. If there are nine penalties, there should be nine Notices. If there is one notice, there should only be one penalty.
Most interesting is to examine why this is. I believe it is simply technical failings in their systems. We know that there are still 12 PAYE computers which we are told is why we cannot see statements of account online as we do with the other taxes. But that should not prevent Employers from being sent Statements of Account as a matter of course. I consistently find advising Employers about their liabilities the most difficult - like "seeing through a glass darkly".
And then there is the reason for the 9 months' delay. For the three years I have been involved with online P35s, that is about how long we have had to wait for things to process, due to the monstrous cock-ups with a system that makes us file by late May but cannot process without human intervention the other end.
Your comments please - I will tell you how we get on before the Commissioners. I think there is trouble ahead with CIS so this may be a useful topic for debate.
- Director selling assets to the company that were given to her 153 2
- Fees for Property Tax Return 555 18
- Revaluation of investment proeprty 137 2
- Subsistence expenses for one man band contractor companies 216 5
- How good is OCRREX Auto Rec software? 445 10
- Sage Line50 Journal Entry Help! 251 16
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 334 13
- Partnership issues and acting for one partner 46 1
- Can't read my handwriting 673 16
- Corp Tax Refund 208 3
- corp tax software 1,062 14
- How to prove to HMRC that you was not self employed? 399 13
- How can customer service quality vary between the basic pension firms? 436 6
- PRR 477 15
- Working from home - time apportionment 315 3
- Recovering VAT on property purchase 220 2
- cross border vat 120 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 12,964 488
- What code do you put expenses under such as tea & coffee? 810 17
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,680 74
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,375
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 521
- National Insurance 421
- Non Resident 322
- Hands on experience of Digita 245
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 232
- CIS paid under reg 9 189
- Employer's Helpline 189
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 153
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 152