This case is possibly the most unfair situation I have ever seen.
A young widowed Mum dies suddenly in tragic circumstances leaving two small children to be looked after by Granny. Granny personally settles Mum's debts, pays for the funeral and takes care of the children. There were no assets in Mum's estate only debts.
Death occured on 19 May 2006. Out of the blue in September 2008 Granny received a letter indicating that Mum's estate had been entitled to a death in service gratuity from the NHS. Granny tries to claim the amount but under the NHS rules had to get a formal grant of probate. This took time and money due to the complications in the case. Probate was granted in December 2009. The gratuity was paid in January 2010.
The scheme administrator had been notified of the death on 19 June 2006 by Mum's line manager no notification of the gratuity was made directly to the family until the September 2008 letter.
And guess what? As the payment was made more than two years after the administrator was notified of the death it is taxable under para 13c part 2 of schedule 29 FA 2004 at 40%.
Any ideas anyone? I have tried S118(2) TMA 1970 but have been told " whilst I can sympathise..... we have no discretion when payments are made outside of the two year period.
- Sale of business being paid by deferred payments by buyer 153 1
- tax relief for the cost of trade marks 144 1
- Am i Liable? 820 21
- Interest on main residence mortgage then lent to a company 43 1
- Boffin of the Year 195 8
- Has anyone been told of the extra Sage Payroll fees for auto enrolment? 455 10
- HMRC Accounts Office - waiting an hour! 40 1
- Very Difficult to type on Aweb again 51 2
- Giving a seminar 645 35
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 898 15
- What leverage do I have with accountants if any? 344 3
- Sole trader - bank statements 325 14
- PAYE versus Dividends 123 1
- Altered PAYE cheque 438 9
- equipment rental 72 1
- Flat Rate Scheme 382 16
- Non sequitur 174 1
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 3,197 63
- Distance between Postcodes in Excel 578 11
- Employer pension contribution as part of redundancy package 130 3
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,282
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 633
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 418
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 326
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 244
- Alphabet shares 216
- Agent fees to sell business 208
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 202
- Office recharges 162
- Tax position on lease extension 158