MPs - additional costs allowance and other expenses
I searched on HMRC website for references to the "additional costs allowance". The only showings are in the guidance pages relevant to MPs self assessment tax returns. There's no published reference in HMRC manuals.
The Parliament notes on page MPN 2 state that MPs should not include in Box 1 any "benefits and expenses payments received". These should be enter instead in boxes 3 to 9.
The form continues much as you might expect except that it explicitly instructs MPs to exclude any sums received by way of the 'Additional Costs Allowance.'
Now we all know that HMRC guidance is not necessarily the law. So what is the law as regards this allowance? WE can all speculate - and some may well do so.
But I'd love to hear from anyone who currently acts for MPs (or has done in the past).
If you'd rather not publish a reply publicly, please call me direct on 07769 692890.
- How to change credit note allocation in Sage 181 5
- Companies House 48 2
- can a CGT transfer be legally cancelled in the future if 72 3
- HMRC repayment issued, how long till it hits account? 90 1
- Sage Payroll & NIC 363 7
- Company Pension Contributions 235 6
- Gross Profit Percentage 142 4
- Expenses allowable 122 3
- How to Value a Business 442 8
- Let Property Campaign 368 6
- Simple Ltd company accounts service 494 11
- Is there anything I should know about Northern Irish companies? 110 1
- Self employment trap - pension 329 3
- Awkward IP 597 9
- ESC A19 115 2
- When does my Property business start 259 4
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 1,529 43
- On line petition re HMRC grabbing money from taxpayer bank accounts 862 19
- Preparing a consolidated TB 225 5
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 1,241 20
- CTA study material 592
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 590
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 364
- Employment related securities question 221
- Foreign Business setting up in UK 194
- ATED Penalties 192
- AIM Stocks and IHT 174
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 129
- Trust for Employee 124
- Expat pension contributions? 124