MPs - additional costs allowance and other expenses
I searched on HMRC website for references to the "additional costs allowance". The only showings are in the guidance pages relevant to MPs self assessment tax returns. There's no published reference in HMRC manuals.
The Parliament notes on page MPN 2 state that MPs should not include in Box 1 any "benefits and expenses payments received". These should be enter instead in boxes 3 to 9.
The form continues much as you might expect except that it explicitly instructs MPs to exclude any sums received by way of the 'Additional Costs Allowance.'
Now we all know that HMRC guidance is not necessarily the law. So what is the law as regards this allowance? WE can all speculate - and some may well do so.
But I'd love to hear from anyone who currently acts for MPs (or has done in the past).
If you'd rather not publish a reply publicly, please call me direct on 07769 692890.
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,087 20
- QBO VAT box 2 and 4 128 1
- VAT - Check on clients business 600 25
- Transfer of a trade WITHOUT assets? 122 1
- Amend a 2010/11 return 121 1
- Advanced SMP, but employee returns to work early 169 1
- How to deal with prior year error 170 2
- Repaying Directors Loans within 9 months 538 19
- Bookkeeping Rate of Pay 2,342 33
- What's the Barmiest Reason A Client gave you for going? 2,050 20
- Tax Calculations 659 10
- Tax Fines - HMRC 415 4
- Exemption from CGT 249 2
- VAT Registration 255 3
- Digita Users - Can you please confirm? 468 14
- Autumn statement predictions 446 8
- ACCA Practising Certificate Holder 351 4
- How to claim relief under a Double Taxation Agreement 198 3
- Moneysoft error 436 7
- Repaying Directors loan by transferring an asset 649 26