MPs - additional costs allowance and other expenses
I searched on HMRC website for references to the "additional costs allowance". The only showings are in the guidance pages relevant to MPs self assessment tax returns. There's no published reference in HMRC manuals.
The Parliament notes on page MPN 2 state that MPs should not include in Box 1 any "benefits and expenses payments received". These should be enter instead in boxes 3 to 9.
The form continues much as you might expect except that it explicitly instructs MPs to exclude any sums received by way of the 'Additional Costs Allowance.'
Now we all know that HMRC guidance is not necessarily the law. So what is the law as regards this allowance? WE can all speculate - and some may well do so.
But I'd love to hear from anyone who currently acts for MPs (or has done in the past).
If you'd rather not publish a reply publicly, please call me direct on 07769 692890.
- TaxCalc Accounts production 117 2
- Working out private usage for a Taxi Driver? 366 8
- Fines for filing 12 months of FPS on one submission 206 3
- Running two businesses from the same premises 400 5
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 75 2
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,361 42
- How much of your work is admin? 625 5
- Nominal Ledger 388 11
- Gave wrong info to client about tax due 574 20
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 188 2
- Old CGT loss 209 3
- Gov.UK = NOT OK! 181 3
- Paper tax return 158 4
- Start up allowance? 384 12
- Will I need to resign? 206 1
- Penalty for late PAYE registration? 248 3
- AIA or IFA 458 7
- Surely not? 463 10
- Batch input of data to Xero - is there an app? 644 9
- Late Registration for VAT 365 11