MPs - additional costs allowance and other expenses
I searched on HMRC website for references to the "additional costs allowance". The only showings are in the guidance pages relevant to MPs self assessment tax returns. There's no published reference in HMRC manuals.
The Parliament notes on page MPN 2 state that MPs should not include in Box 1 any "benefits and expenses payments received". These should be enter instead in boxes 3 to 9.
The form continues much as you might expect except that it explicitly instructs MPs to exclude any sums received by way of the 'Additional Costs Allowance.'
Now we all know that HMRC guidance is not necessarily the law. So what is the law as regards this allowance? WE can all speculate - and some may well do so.
But I'd love to hear from anyone who currently acts for MPs (or has done in the past).
If you'd rather not publish a reply publicly, please call me direct on 07769 692890.
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,663 436
- Cash injection by shareholder 277 7
- Fees for Property Tax Return 115 3
- capital gains on PPR 148 7
- Separating business for VAT purposes 59 1
- 40% rule for travel expenses 343 9
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,238 62
- Do I need a 13digit tax ref for a ct600 328 6
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 263 8
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 410 20
- 100% Xero practice 2,399 43
- How to pursue fraudulent trading 347 5
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 290 8
- PRR 328 12
- Is it more beneficial to be a Ltd company? 229 3
- corp tax software 386 7
- Pension Contributions Relief 459 14
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 485 7
- Which tax box 211 2
- How to change reconciliation status of bank account in Sage 50 186 3
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,308
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 471
- National Insurance 365
- Non Resident 290
- Franchise income and costs 259
- Hands on experience of Digita 212
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 177
- Employer's Helpline 161
- employment capital allowances 156
- CIS paid under reg 9 149