MPs - additional costs allowance and other expenses
I searched on HMRC website for references to the "additional costs allowance". The only showings are in the guidance pages relevant to MPs self assessment tax returns. There's no published reference in HMRC manuals.
The Parliament notes on page MPN 2 state that MPs should not include in Box 1 any "benefits and expenses payments received". These should be enter instead in boxes 3 to 9.
The form continues much as you might expect except that it explicitly instructs MPs to exclude any sums received by way of the 'Additional Costs Allowance.'
Now we all know that HMRC guidance is not necessarily the law. So what is the law as regards this allowance? WE can all speculate - and some may well do so.
But I'd love to hear from anyone who currently acts for MPs (or has done in the past).
If you'd rather not publish a reply publicly, please call me direct on 07769 692890.
- Termination Payment 317 13
- Business lending another business money (UK) 156 4
- Signed accounts for bank 373 8
- flat rate scheme 2,124 40
- How can a childcare facility mitigate vat 76 1
- Landing clients 510 16
- Opening a Quick books file 178 2
- What are my legal responsibilities 492 15
- P11D Benefits - Accountancy fee for Directors personal tax 265 2
- cash the returned VAT cheque 232 1
- Rollover relief - No new asset purchased 249 1
- Remote subcontractors - due diligence 248 1
- Confict of Interest 348 1
- dividend date - whose income is it? 274 4
- Rental business through company without owning the property? 354 5
- P11d query 287 5
- Rental expenses 135 1
- Intercompany Payroll Journals 165 5
- No more tax returns... 1,572 13
- How much state pension will client lose out if drops salary 441 6