MPs - additional costs allowance and other expenses
I searched on HMRC website for references to the "additional costs allowance". The only showings are in the guidance pages relevant to MPs self assessment tax returns. There's no published reference in HMRC manuals.
The Parliament notes on page MPN 2 state that MPs should not include in Box 1 any "benefits and expenses payments received". These should be enter instead in boxes 3 to 9.
The form continues much as you might expect except that it explicitly instructs MPs to exclude any sums received by way of the 'Additional Costs Allowance.'
Now we all know that HMRC guidance is not necessarily the law. So what is the law as regards this allowance? WE can all speculate - and some may well do so.
But I'd love to hear from anyone who currently acts for MPs (or has done in the past).
If you'd rather not publish a reply publicly, please call me direct on 07769 692890.
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 747 15
- Late filing penalties refunded 244 4
- Employers allowance 47 1
- Dividend in Specie on demerger 92 1
- Recruitment consultancy says previous accountant said they could claim VAT on candidate entertainment. Could this be correct? 116 3
- Gross Profit Margin- motor vehicle mechanic 181 5
- Overpayment of Salary 806 24
- Effect on new state pension of contracted out periods 56 1
- ITS HAPPENED AGAIN SPAM SPAM SPAM 575 16
- How to avoid a bankruptcy 89 2
- Is this Tax Deductible??? 552 1
- Capital Gains Regime/Corporation Tax Regime 51 1
- CIS Software Recommendations 133 1
- How to convert a pdf file to.. 266 4
- CGT on house within Limited Company 315 10
- Subsistence Claims 336 3
- India Capital Gain 179 2
- Fee reasonable or OTT? 433 7
- Pressure to upgrade from Sage 50 Accounts 2013 236 4
- Why won't CH validate accounts? 573 12
- Theatre Tax Relief 426
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 332
- Windows 10 on-going support ... 311
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 290
- Perkbox 241
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 230
- Compensation - Taxable or not then CGT or IT 223
- Self Assessment - What to enter on the return 200
- Document Management Systems 199
- WIP Software 186