MPs - additional costs allowance and other expenses
I searched on HMRC website for references to the "additional costs allowance". The only showings are in the guidance pages relevant to MPs self assessment tax returns. There's no published reference in HMRC manuals.
The Parliament notes on page MPN 2 state that MPs should not include in Box 1 any "benefits and expenses payments received". These should be enter instead in boxes 3 to 9.
The form continues much as you might expect except that it explicitly instructs MPs to exclude any sums received by way of the 'Additional Costs Allowance.'
Now we all know that HMRC guidance is not necessarily the law. So what is the law as regards this allowance? WE can all speculate - and some may well do so.
But I'd love to hear from anyone who currently acts for MPs (or has done in the past).
If you'd rather not publish a reply publicly, please call me direct on 07769 692890.
- Tax question about small group and how to set up 215 14
- Accounting Practice acting as an employment agency 184 10
- Incorporation Relief 75 1
- What type of Trust? 137 3
- What is 'an asset' for A/A+B CGT? 122 5
- OBK 566 19
- Instant CPD offer 110 2
- cost of moving out for a few weeks 223 7
- Dividend in specie 103 2
- Investor exit 101 2
- VAT on imports and the Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 88 2
- Withholding Tax - Invoicing Ecuador 155 4
- Flat Rate Scheme - Joining date 76 1
- Auto-Enrolment 3,704 175
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,744 26
- Sage error message 148 2
- Partially exempt? 175 5
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 521 5
- Mileage claim 256 9
- Proof of Delivery 257 8
- Skandia using wrong address 464
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 269
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 263
- Employee rewards 256
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 216
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 207
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 207
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 190
- Etax Australian 165
- Annual Management Charge Rebates and Self Assessment Tax Return 152