MPs - additional costs allowance and other expenses
I searched on HMRC website for references to the "additional costs allowance". The only showings are in the guidance pages relevant to MPs self assessment tax returns. There's no published reference in HMRC manuals.
The Parliament notes on page MPN 2 state that MPs should not include in Box 1 any "benefits and expenses payments received". These should be enter instead in boxes 3 to 9.
The form continues much as you might expect except that it explicitly instructs MPs to exclude any sums received by way of the 'Additional Costs Allowance.'
Now we all know that HMRC guidance is not necessarily the law. So what is the law as regards this allowance? WE can all speculate - and some may well do so.
But I'd love to hear from anyone who currently acts for MPs (or has done in the past).
If you'd rather not publish a reply publicly, please call me direct on 07769 692890.
- *Urgent pls advise * filing dormant accounts to Companies House 443 18
- Tax on sale of shares 26 1
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 544 20
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 31 2
- Builder Gifted Deposit and capital gains 481 17
- Profit and Loss Account Adjustments 160 7
- Expenses paid by director (the owner) 245 4
- Breaking Up A Property Company 266 2
- Website development costs - tax and accounting treatment 225 3
- G'day IPA-IFA 517 8
- Declaration of Trust 568 20
- Inventory valuation of precious metals? 64 1
- Who can wind up a Promissory Trust? 92 2
- MAAT signing off ACCA PER? 327 2
- Amazon - digital book sales 200 1
- tax insider 334 4
- Auto-Enrolment 226 3
- Annual subs 187 2
- Statement of Earnings, no P45 178 2
- Mileage and Self Assessment 184 1
- Skandia using wrong address 1,416
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 728
- Any views 662
- HMRC Employers Diary 494
- International interest certificate 410
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 370
- Sale of business 320
- NOVA 227
- IR35 & Managed Service Companies 226
- Advertising services? 220