MPs - additional costs allowance and other expenses
I searched on HMRC website for references to the "additional costs allowance". The only showings are in the guidance pages relevant to MPs self assessment tax returns. There's no published reference in HMRC manuals.
The Parliament notes on page MPN 2 state that MPs should not include in Box 1 any "benefits and expenses payments received". These should be enter instead in boxes 3 to 9.
The form continues much as you might expect except that it explicitly instructs MPs to exclude any sums received by way of the 'Additional Costs Allowance.'
Now we all know that HMRC guidance is not necessarily the law. So what is the law as regards this allowance? WE can all speculate - and some may well do so.
But I'd love to hear from anyone who currently acts for MPs (or has done in the past).
If you'd rather not publish a reply publicly, please call me direct on 07769 692890.
- are we that stupid 429 10
- Spread Betting and Forex Trading 221 3
- Goodwill on incorporation 157 2
- Company Strike off 237 10
- Is there a UK CGT base cost on the sale of these shares? 103 1
- Starting your response in the subject line of the form 536 16
- Company Limited by Guarantee 238 4
- Inexpensive CRM for small accountancy practice? 143 2
- wife as partner 1,017 7
- Staff training 1,498 12
- Self Assessment penalties again 157 2
- VAT B2B EU service - curious 295 6
- 'Careless' Self Assessment Error 379 8
- HMRC Security Deposit 1,370 19
- living will or LPA? 96 1
- Practice software 1,357 19
- Job costing 213 1
- is anybody using iris and sql server standard 2014? 251 5
- Shares held in trust 189 4
- Servicing AE fees 361 7
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 326
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 323
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 281
- French ConnectionUK 258
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 237
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 211
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 209
- Tax surcharge appeal - where to send ? 148
- Agricultural Flat Rate Scheme 146
- Indian Provident Fund 139