MPs - additional costs allowance and other expenses
I searched on HMRC website for references to the "additional costs allowance". The only showings are in the guidance pages relevant to MPs self assessment tax returns. There's no published reference in HMRC manuals.
The Parliament notes on page MPN 2 state that MPs should not include in Box 1 any "benefits and expenses payments received". These should be enter instead in boxes 3 to 9.
The form continues much as you might expect except that it explicitly instructs MPs to exclude any sums received by way of the 'Additional Costs Allowance.'
Now we all know that HMRC guidance is not necessarily the law. So what is the law as regards this allowance? WE can all speculate - and some may well do so.
But I'd love to hear from anyone who currently acts for MPs (or has done in the past).
If you'd rather not publish a reply publicly, please call me direct on 07769 692890.
- Has anyone else come across VAT account suspensions? 49 1
- Should I move back home away from my office? 363 8
- Ceasing in membership of ATT 483 7
- Entrepreneurs Relief 762 43
- Director Personal Bank Account in company's books 442 8
- Sage payroll alternatives 602 12
- More AE! 642 14
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 71 1
- IT advisory questions? 102 4
- Moneysoft and People's Pension 91 4
- PAYE 1,585 17
- Scanners 86 1
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 1,099 16
- Relevance of UK Residency 112 2
- VAT Tax Point - Overseas Purchase 109 3
- Invoice dispute 589 5
- DAILY PENALTIES / APPEALS 263 2
- Construction Industry Allowable expenses 422 9
- Property inheritance by overseas resident 98 1
- 2013-14 Tax Return-Transparent Benchmarks? 138 1
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,141
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 792
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 479
- Digita Hosted Software 316
- Credit where credit's due....... 257
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 220
- Director phone costs 219
- General rule: Evidence that the customer is in business 192
- What to say to Tom, Dick and Harry... 163
- Warning for freeagent accountants using payroll import 161