MPs - additional costs allowance and other expenses
I searched on HMRC website for references to the "additional costs allowance". The only showings are in the guidance pages relevant to MPs self assessment tax returns. There's no published reference in HMRC manuals.
The Parliament notes on page MPN 2 state that MPs should not include in Box 1 any "benefits and expenses payments received". These should be enter instead in boxes 3 to 9.
The form continues much as you might expect except that it explicitly instructs MPs to exclude any sums received by way of the 'Additional Costs Allowance.'
Now we all know that HMRC guidance is not necessarily the law. So what is the law as regards this allowance? WE can all speculate - and some may well do so.
But I'd love to hear from anyone who currently acts for MPs (or has done in the past).
If you'd rather not publish a reply publicly, please call me direct on 07769 692890.
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 147 4
- 27,000 Really? 1,142 38
- What are options for non CA firm 2,826 60
- Legal title not in the company name 789 23
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 334 4
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 305 8
- Opening Balances 199 2
- Awkward insolvency practitioner 582 7
- Tax Credits for Self Employed 99 1
- FRS12 Redundancy and notice period provision 85 1
- This is getting boring 616 12
- Using profits from Ltd company as start up funds for new venture 258 7
- pension paid by company? 115 3
- inheritance tax 420 12
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 349 9
- Sage 50 re-key - VAT problem 227 4
- State pension 302 3
- Accountancy Career 142 1
- CIC Company 657 13
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,823 22
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 640
- Cancelled 395
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 353
- Cancelled 335
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 309
- Probiz 303
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 279
- How not to compose an email 266
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 258
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 223