MPs - additional costs allowance and other expenses
I searched on HMRC website for references to the "additional costs allowance". The only showings are in the guidance pages relevant to MPs self assessment tax returns. There's no published reference in HMRC manuals.
The Parliament notes on page MPN 2 state that MPs should not include in Box 1 any "benefits and expenses payments received". These should be enter instead in boxes 3 to 9.
The form continues much as you might expect except that it explicitly instructs MPs to exclude any sums received by way of the 'Additional Costs Allowance.'
Now we all know that HMRC guidance is not necessarily the law. So what is the law as regards this allowance? WE can all speculate - and some may well do so.
But I'd love to hear from anyone who currently acts for MPs (or has done in the past).
If you'd rather not publish a reply publicly, please call me direct on 07769 692890.
- Vat query - EU customer requesting invoice without charging vat 231 8
- Is this legal? 571 9
- Scams are not always obvious 595 16
- Market Value/Connected Persons 159 7
- Auto Enrolment, Payroll, Small Client Advice and what to charge? 572 16
- 100% FYA, do I have to cliam all of it in 1 year? 117 3
- Saying NO to a time wasters 1,968 23
- Cells from many sheets 105 2
- Taxation of rental income 142 4
- notice of consent by surrendering company group relief 126 6
- VAT on long lease in comercial property thathas opted to Tax 50 1
- Childcare vouchers 63 1
- Directors loan 1,385 9
- Expenses allowable against income from lodger 115 1
- New company formation and equity 154 3
- Previously dormant company now medium sized - does it need an audit? 115 1
- Tax planning, transferring BTL property to company 211 5
- Forming a Holding Company 153 2
- SAGE - Filtering Inactive Suppliers/Customers 99 1
- OMB contractor company making himself redundant 238 3
- New Fangled Penalties 1,038
- Moving away from CCH software 899
- Recruitment agencies 521
- QROP pension input amounts 409
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 361
- Deemed Employment Payment 340
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 301
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 297
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 216
- fraud 199