MPs - additional costs allowance and other expenses
I searched on HMRC website for references to the "additional costs allowance". The only showings are in the guidance pages relevant to MPs self assessment tax returns. There's no published reference in HMRC manuals.
The Parliament notes on page MPN 2 state that MPs should not include in Box 1 any "benefits and expenses payments received". These should be enter instead in boxes 3 to 9.
The form continues much as you might expect except that it explicitly instructs MPs to exclude any sums received by way of the 'Additional Costs Allowance.'
Now we all know that HMRC guidance is not necessarily the law. So what is the law as regards this allowance? WE can all speculate - and some may well do so.
But I'd love to hear from anyone who currently acts for MPs (or has done in the past).
If you'd rather not publish a reply publicly, please call me direct on 07769 692890.
- Regular Director bonus 203 4
- Signed accounts for a lender 294 16
- Corporation Tax Software 254 7
- Clients have been told I'm working from home 351 9
- FreeAgent question 292 8
- Mortgage interest 54 1
- How many associated companies 71 1
- New Agency rules - who's responsible? 62 1
- Goodie bag 2,492 68
- Practising options 467 6
- Self-employed or Ltd Company or seek employment 417 10
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 574 5
- Software recommendations? 381 5
- can I approach clients ? 705 10
- Latest scam e-mails 153 1
- BrightPay 956 27
- Budget 2015 predictions 612 14
- Have the new quarterly employer returns been finalised and where do you get them? 206 1
- accounting in estate agents 114 1
- Network marketing client - how does it work? 363 7
- Possible Partnership? 675
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 528
- New Fangled Penalties 461
- Fuming! 448
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 328
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 266
- Moving away from CCH software 248
- Outsource Data Entry 247
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 243
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 192