MPs - additional costs allowance and other expenses
I searched on HMRC website for references to the "additional costs allowance". The only showings are in the guidance pages relevant to MPs self assessment tax returns. There's no published reference in HMRC manuals.
The Parliament notes on page MPN 2 state that MPs should not include in Box 1 any "benefits and expenses payments received". These should be enter instead in boxes 3 to 9.
The form continues much as you might expect except that it explicitly instructs MPs to exclude any sums received by way of the 'Additional Costs Allowance.'
Now we all know that HMRC guidance is not necessarily the law. So what is the law as regards this allowance? WE can all speculate - and some may well do so.
But I'd love to hear from anyone who currently acts for MPs (or has done in the past).
If you'd rather not publish a reply publicly, please call me direct on 07769 692890.
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 558 19
- Cash withdrawn and not accounted for 242 3
- Auto Enrolment set up 366 3
- Loan to Partnership is s455 tax relevant? 523 18
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 414 9
- UK Tax Treatment of Finance Lease Payments 134 2
- More HMRC on gov.uk 87 1
- Interflora florist 56 1
- Accounting for VAT not yet paid in year end 281 6
- Directors loan accounts 414 10
- Income Self employed 540 8
- Know it alls (who don't) 1,183 22
- Contingent Liability - Copyright Dispute - Disclosure ? 253 7
- Can I zero rate the VAT? 344 7
- Payment for Promotional Samples 258 1
- Transactions between Associated Companies 120 2
- Employed clients and expenses 800 14
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 1,037 1
- Share premium or Directors Loan 702 29
- Taxfiler V's BTC 917 34
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 542
- NOVA 490
- Bonus Bonds 376
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 354
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 275
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 239
- Friendly Pensions 170
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 157
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 145
- Finance Lease 141