Net or Gross Pay?
Client worked for limited company and was paid £2k per month 2004/05 to 2007/08. He included this in his self-employed income.
Following a wages inspection, the Inspector refused the "employer" company any offset of the D1 tax paid by our client against the employer company's PAYE liability. (In other words, the Inspector's applying Demibourne treatment). That leaves our client eligible to reclaim D1 tax and class 4 NI paid on that income, given that the company are now liable.
Last time I had a similar case I remember treating the (say) £2k as net pay. But I'm receiving general hints by the (DPA-bound) Inspector's staff that I should treat it as gross pay. Can anyone please tell me which? I've been scanning through the Income Tax (PAYE) (Amendment) Regs 2008 - the legislation laid to overcome Demibourne - to look for any changes that might dictate that pay deemed to be employment income should nowadays be treated as gross (even though the Inspector has found a reason not to apply a Demibourne-like direction in this particular case).
£2k per month net or gross?
- Career slump - advice and/or sympathy much appreciated 66 1
- Operating lease 38 2
- ICPA taxwise fee protection 210 4
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 441 8
- paye scheme very used 136 2
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 789 25
- Disclosure query 101 3
- Invoice factoring 62 2
- Auto enrolment 270 4
- Reverse charge - do you always book it? 232 6
- LLP Accounts format 81 1
- Scoot 295 6
- A question about share structure 65 1
- Corporation tax due date confusion 192 3
- Top slicing relief question 150 2
- Share swap 189 3
- Is our client doing anything wrong? 316 2
- Tax on sale of shares 170 3
- Accountants' Error 890 17
- Previous accountant filed dormant accounts in error 349 3
- Skandia using wrong address 1,466
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 784
- Any views 711
- HMRC Employers Diary 531
- International interest certificate 430
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 398
- Sale of business 360
- NOVA 267
- Advertising services? 263
- IRIS Open Books problem 260