Net or Gross Pay?
Client worked for limited company and was paid £2k per month 2004/05 to 2007/08. He included this in his self-employed income.
Following a wages inspection, the Inspector refused the "employer" company any offset of the D1 tax paid by our client against the employer company's PAYE liability. (In other words, the Inspector's applying Demibourne treatment). That leaves our client eligible to reclaim D1 tax and class 4 NI paid on that income, given that the company are now liable.
Last time I had a similar case I remember treating the (say) £2k as net pay. But I'm receiving general hints by the (DPA-bound) Inspector's staff that I should treat it as gross pay. Can anyone please tell me which? I've been scanning through the Income Tax (PAYE) (Amendment) Regs 2008 - the legislation laid to overcome Demibourne - to look for any changes that might dictate that pay deemed to be employment income should nowadays be treated as gross (even though the Inspector has found a reason not to apply a Demibourne-like direction in this particular case).
£2k per month net or gross?
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 518 20
- The importance of Grammar 1,526 49
- VAT reverse charge on consulting from EC 85 2
- Impairment in value of subsidiary - allowable? 100 3
- Client Require Tax Return and Profit and Loss for Housing Benefit claim 110 1
- VAT Reclaim 155 7
- How to network with other Accountants? 215 2
- Employment Allowance 133 2
- How much do you pay for Xero? 189 1
- exemptions from CIS 164 3
- How to treat NI and PAYE for overseas staff employed in UK? 212 1
- Volontaire International en Entreprise (VIE) 146 3
- Using Xero with Barclays & Lloyds and multi company usage 359 3
- VAT - How hard is it? 1,510 52
- Option to tax by two individuals "together" not as a Ltd company 165 2
- Directors exempt from AE? 475 8
- Cut-off accounting question 343 7
- Freehold management company 93 1
- account in joint names - gift? 201 3
- DIRECTOR LOAN ACCOUNT AND BALANCE 523 10
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 391
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 344
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 326
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 309
- Electric Car 264
- S222 Charge 228
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 224
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 209
- Company Structure 202
- IP trans to holding company 162