Net or Gross Pay?
Client worked for limited company and was paid £2k per month 2004/05 to 2007/08. He included this in his self-employed income.
Following a wages inspection, the Inspector refused the "employer" company any offset of the D1 tax paid by our client against the employer company's PAYE liability. (In other words, the Inspector's applying Demibourne treatment). That leaves our client eligible to reclaim D1 tax and class 4 NI paid on that income, given that the company are now liable.
Last time I had a similar case I remember treating the (say) £2k as net pay. But I'm receiving general hints by the (DPA-bound) Inspector's staff that I should treat it as gross pay. Can anyone please tell me which? I've been scanning through the Income Tax (PAYE) (Amendment) Regs 2008 - the legislation laid to overcome Demibourne - to look for any changes that might dictate that pay deemed to be employment income should nowadays be treated as gross (even though the Inspector has found a reason not to apply a Demibourne-like direction in this particular case).
£2k per month net or gross?
- Changing shareholding ratio 66 2
- New intermediaries reporting requirements 102 1
- SA1 forms 337 12
- Rolled up interest and late interest rules 122 5
- Goodwill Entrepreneurs Relief 78 1
- ICPA 422 6
- Do I need to see receipts ? 685 10
- Share disclosure re- Power of Attorney 139 5
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 523 12
- VAT on services to EC customer 163 3
- Delayed option to tax 177 3
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 226 2
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 838 23
- Auto enrolment: What’s your plan? 341 3
- Cloud backups – know what you are getting … 419 7
- Redundancy Pay 334 4
- question about merging two companies... 200 1
- Latest repayment email =interesting paragraph 453 3
- CG on Spanish property disposal 237 7
- Entertaining - am I missing something or is my client taking the mickey 534 5
- Sainsbury's mangement 821
- Avanti Accounts 672
- Have I done the right thing? 645
- Calling franchise accountants 629
- Continuity Agreement 625
- Consolidated accounting software (or cloud based) 482
- Sage One Reports - do they add up? 356
- Scammers 320
- Advice please! 227
- Becoming a subcontractor to Accountancy Practices 211