Net or Gross Pay?
Client worked for limited company and was paid £2k per month 2004/05 to 2007/08. He included this in his self-employed income.
Following a wages inspection, the Inspector refused the "employer" company any offset of the D1 tax paid by our client against the employer company's PAYE liability. (In other words, the Inspector's applying Demibourne treatment). That leaves our client eligible to reclaim D1 tax and class 4 NI paid on that income, given that the company are now liable.
Last time I had a similar case I remember treating the (say) £2k as net pay. But I'm receiving general hints by the (DPA-bound) Inspector's staff that I should treat it as gross pay. Can anyone please tell me which? I've been scanning through the Income Tax (PAYE) (Amendment) Regs 2008 - the legislation laid to overcome Demibourne - to look for any changes that might dictate that pay deemed to be employment income should nowadays be treated as gross (even though the Inspector has found a reason not to apply a Demibourne-like direction in this particular case).
£2k per month net or gross?
- Strike off after accounts submitted 32 1
- Assets requested back from supplier ? 292 4
- What is your favourite font? 376 11
- Opening Balances with very little info... 82 1
- CGT on Let Property 353 7
- When to register or not for PAYE 304 4
- Strike off 226 7
- Franchise affiliations 119 1
- Company investment 164 4
- Disclosure of 2014 corporation tax refund in 2015 accounts 94 1
- Gift to son by parents 350 3
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 1,202 35
- How to find difference in Sage bank rec 166 4
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 460 7
- New CASC rules 161 2
- Autoenrolment and variable earnings 275 2
- CIS subcontractor's invoice on QuickFile 152 4
- Treatment of private ambulances on introduction to business 256 6
- valuation of vehicles 534 20
- Settlements Legislation - Adult Children as shareholders 136 1
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 341
- Any thoughts on Capium? 296
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 272
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 255
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 242
- auto enrolment 218
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 198
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 192
- How to account for investment in JV? 176
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 168