Net or Gross Pay?
Client worked for limited company and was paid £2k per month 2004/05 to 2007/08. He included this in his self-employed income.
Following a wages inspection, the Inspector refused the "employer" company any offset of the D1 tax paid by our client against the employer company's PAYE liability. (In other words, the Inspector's applying Demibourne treatment). That leaves our client eligible to reclaim D1 tax and class 4 NI paid on that income, given that the company are now liable.
Last time I had a similar case I remember treating the (say) £2k as net pay. But I'm receiving general hints by the (DPA-bound) Inspector's staff that I should treat it as gross pay. Can anyone please tell me which? I've been scanning through the Income Tax (PAYE) (Amendment) Regs 2008 - the legislation laid to overcome Demibourne - to look for any changes that might dictate that pay deemed to be employment income should nowadays be treated as gross (even though the Inspector has found a reason not to apply a Demibourne-like direction in this particular case).
£2k per month net or gross?
- Pricing 135 4
- Tax treatment on the sale of a business 307 15
- VAT on “Reimbursement” from third parties 43 1
- Money laundering POCA 181 4
- Company incorrectly marked 'dormant' by HMRC 46 1
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 75 1
- Auto-Enrolment 2,964 157
- P11d mistake 94 1
- Place of Supply or these two contracts walk into a German Bar 173 2
- Accountants who provide tech/IT advice 457 1
- CLG exempt under s60 124 2
- Improvement expenses allowable against rental income 143 4
- Alternative to CIS 415 9
- Can I become a self employed bookkeeper?? 360 4
- Supplier 1,262 13
- No Tax Returns submitted for last 16 years 959 22
- How to account for VAT on a newbuild that has been let 144 2
- Incorrect penalty warning letters sent 1,015 7
- Mutual trading organisation 127 2
- Companies house dissolved my company. What do I do now? 526 9
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 498
- Skandia using wrong address 442
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 266
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 239
- Employee rewards 232
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 208
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 203
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 184
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 181
- Etax Australian 149