Net or Gross Pay?
Client worked for limited company and was paid £2k per month 2004/05 to 2007/08. He included this in his self-employed income.
Following a wages inspection, the Inspector refused the "employer" company any offset of the D1 tax paid by our client against the employer company's PAYE liability. (In other words, the Inspector's applying Demibourne treatment). That leaves our client eligible to reclaim D1 tax and class 4 NI paid on that income, given that the company are now liable.
Last time I had a similar case I remember treating the (say) £2k as net pay. But I'm receiving general hints by the (DPA-bound) Inspector's staff that I should treat it as gross pay. Can anyone please tell me which? I've been scanning through the Income Tax (PAYE) (Amendment) Regs 2008 - the legislation laid to overcome Demibourne - to look for any changes that might dictate that pay deemed to be employment income should nowadays be treated as gross (even though the Inspector has found a reason not to apply a Demibourne-like direction in this particular case).
£2k per month net or gross?
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 53 1
- Travel expenses from Spain to the UK - tax deductible ? 257 9
- Auto enrolment 1,463 14
- Charity requirements to report ALL I&E in accounts 160 3
- Client's company struck off 579 17
- Optimum salary for directors appointed part way through the year 125 1
- Extension of lease in flat management company 95 1
- Does SMP and SPP go up if leave goes across 2 tax years? 193 7
- Does a building subcontractor charge VAT on his labour on a new-build? 335 9
- Practice Company Secretarial Software recommendations please 107 1
- Interest, surcharges and interest on late payment of tax 129 2
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 189 3
- Sole trader startup losses and PAYE income in same year 131 3
- Anyone had this problem?? 713 19
- Input VAT suffered in EU 155 3
- Investment property? 99 2
- Do you charge fee or % for Successful appeal against HMRC penalties? 1,618 23
- Sole Trader Cessation 177 2
- VAT flat rate scheme 339 6
- Does AE staging date cease with transfer of business? 100 1
- QROP pension input amounts 470
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 424
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 408
- fraud 338
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 258
- EPS and CIS deductions 247
- Construction CIS LLP Company 242
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 199
- SAGE winforecast 170
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 166