Net or Gross Pay?
Client worked for limited company and was paid £2k per month 2004/05 to 2007/08. He included this in his self-employed income.
Following a wages inspection, the Inspector refused the "employer" company any offset of the D1 tax paid by our client against the employer company's PAYE liability. (In other words, the Inspector's applying Demibourne treatment). That leaves our client eligible to reclaim D1 tax and class 4 NI paid on that income, given that the company are now liable.
Last time I had a similar case I remember treating the (say) £2k as net pay. But I'm receiving general hints by the (DPA-bound) Inspector's staff that I should treat it as gross pay. Can anyone please tell me which? I've been scanning through the Income Tax (PAYE) (Amendment) Regs 2008 - the legislation laid to overcome Demibourne - to look for any changes that might dictate that pay deemed to be employment income should nowadays be treated as gross (even though the Inspector has found a reason not to apply a Demibourne-like direction in this particular case).
£2k per month net or gross?
- IHT Query 427 10
- Audit and paypal balances 166 7
- Missing C79 149 5
- Tax relief for backdated pension contributions 482 16
- VAT margin scheme 263 14
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 294 8
- How to walk away without questions 2,724 17
- PPR for non-residents after 05 Apr 2015 95 1
- Takeover of Annual PAYE scheme 122 2
- Get it off your chest 246 4
- Directors bonus 151 2
- Auto Enrolment specialist service provider 103 1
- Personal Pension Withdrawal 279 3
- HMRC Unpaid Debt Collector 253 5
- do you receive fewer phone calls than some years back because of emails 170 3
- break even point 1,120 33
- The return 792 27
- Sell business after leaving country 333 6
- Profit & Loss accounts filling when tax is withheld overseas 94 2
- Charity accounting 89 2
- Possible Partnership? 556
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 553
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 481
- New Fangled Penalties 354
- Clubs and Taxable Income 292
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 273
- Loans to other companies 219
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 211
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 177
- Outsource Data Entry 176