Net or Gross Pay?
Client worked for limited company and was paid £2k per month 2004/05 to 2007/08. He included this in his self-employed income.
Following a wages inspection, the Inspector refused the "employer" company any offset of the D1 tax paid by our client against the employer company's PAYE liability. (In other words, the Inspector's applying Demibourne treatment). That leaves our client eligible to reclaim D1 tax and class 4 NI paid on that income, given that the company are now liable.
Last time I had a similar case I remember treating the (say) £2k as net pay. But I'm receiving general hints by the (DPA-bound) Inspector's staff that I should treat it as gross pay. Can anyone please tell me which? I've been scanning through the Income Tax (PAYE) (Amendment) Regs 2008 - the legislation laid to overcome Demibourne - to look for any changes that might dictate that pay deemed to be employment income should nowadays be treated as gross (even though the Inspector has found a reason not to apply a Demibourne-like direction in this particular case).
£2k per month net or gross?
- Dividends from UK plc - tax years and dates 73 2
- Help 126 9
- What do people do with signed accounts/engagement letters/tax returns? 202 9
- Where has Portia gone? 5,022 109
- Overlap profit 290 7
- Moneysoft or Sage payroll with auto enrolment? 316 6
- RTI Payroll ID 2,059 25
- What is the correct Vat treatment and rate to use to record a business stay in a hotel in the EU? 118 1
- Payments on account 175 2
- Recurring Revenue/Costs occurred before registering, how do I handle this? 72 1
- What do your junior staff do? 521 7
- OMG HMRC !!!! Employ some ppl!! 645 12
- Keeping disastrous accounts 410 5
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 533 10
- VAT Exemptions for Dance Education 128 1
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,940 74
- In pratice using part time accountants 346 3
- On the high seas 112 1
- Entrepreneurs Relief Shares Received as Part of Divorce Settlement 145 2
- Spousal transfer and PPR 857 34
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 852
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 444
- Sanzar 340
- How do you do it 336
- Digital marketing focus group 311
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 295
- Bed & Breakfast trade via Limited Company 209
- Fit for purpose 202
- new investor structure 198
- VAT Registration 180