Net or Gross Pay?
Client worked for limited company and was paid £2k per month 2004/05 to 2007/08. He included this in his self-employed income.
Following a wages inspection, the Inspector refused the "employer" company any offset of the D1 tax paid by our client against the employer company's PAYE liability. (In other words, the Inspector's applying Demibourne treatment). That leaves our client eligible to reclaim D1 tax and class 4 NI paid on that income, given that the company are now liable.
Last time I had a similar case I remember treating the (say) £2k as net pay. But I'm receiving general hints by the (DPA-bound) Inspector's staff that I should treat it as gross pay. Can anyone please tell me which? I've been scanning through the Income Tax (PAYE) (Amendment) Regs 2008 - the legislation laid to overcome Demibourne - to look for any changes that might dictate that pay deemed to be employment income should nowadays be treated as gross (even though the Inspector has found a reason not to apply a Demibourne-like direction in this particular case).
£2k per month net or gross?
- Preference shares redeemed at less than par 235 12
- Client Death 210 2
- Coding notices post P11d 1,843 12
- Tax position re this lease? 188 3
- Fixed Assets 285 5
- Normal trading company or property management company for CT600? 140 1
- What are options for non CA firm 1,686 26
- Do I need to pay Capital Gain Tax 572 24
- Real names 1,177 35
- Hive up - accounting and notes to financial statements 86 1
- What do "Former Contracted Out" rebates mean 157 2
- Director salary from company limited by guarantee 262 8
- Dividends with an annual profit but retained losses 188 1
- Anyone come across this shower before? 1,943 35
- What are the tax implications of employer paying my tuition fees? 223 1
- Company Secretarial Software 1,391 30
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 719 9
- Proceeds of Overseas Property Sale - Any Tax Implications 253 7
- FRS to standard - check my understanding 155 2
- Tick & Bash Bristol 334 5
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 585
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 456
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 355
- IFA incorporation 340
- Sorry ignore me 328
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 282
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 277
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 265
- Cancelled 209
- property ownership between husband wife three taxpayers 179