Net or Gross Pay?
Client worked for limited company and was paid £2k per month 2004/05 to 2007/08. He included this in his self-employed income.
Following a wages inspection, the Inspector refused the "employer" company any offset of the D1 tax paid by our client against the employer company's PAYE liability. (In other words, the Inspector's applying Demibourne treatment). That leaves our client eligible to reclaim D1 tax and class 4 NI paid on that income, given that the company are now liable.
Last time I had a similar case I remember treating the (say) £2k as net pay. But I'm receiving general hints by the (DPA-bound) Inspector's staff that I should treat it as gross pay. Can anyone please tell me which? I've been scanning through the Income Tax (PAYE) (Amendment) Regs 2008 - the legislation laid to overcome Demibourne - to look for any changes that might dictate that pay deemed to be employment income should nowadays be treated as gross (even though the Inspector has found a reason not to apply a Demibourne-like direction in this particular case).
£2k per month net or gross?
- When is golf coaching a vatable supply? 133 2
- Comany ceasing to trade 119 2
- French resident, split year & UK close company dividends 105 1
- Closing a limited company 104 5
- Rental Income for Child Benefit Charge 88 2
- Obtaining old payslips & correcting historic tax overpayment 98 3
- Software 256 6
- Window Comb Binder Cover 348 6
- Capital Gains on Residential Property 407 23
- Broadband costs 194 2
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 408 14
- Allocation of internal division of work - manger level 293 11
- Use of home deduction 440 14
- Non resident income. 209 11
- Help needed- Unable to fill CT600 form using HMRC software- service issue 313 5
- Director payroll - prorated NI? 195 5
- SA800 Returns 222 4
- state pension statement 738 9
- VAT on EU supplies 69 1
- VAT on purchse from EU supplier but goods were sent outside of EU from supplier 102 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 848
- Copy Wanted 589
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 530
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 505
- Latest phishing scam 391
- Entrepreneurs' relief 366
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 322
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 307
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 295
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 206