Net or Gross Pay?
Client worked for limited company and was paid £2k per month 2004/05 to 2007/08. He included this in his self-employed income.
Following a wages inspection, the Inspector refused the "employer" company any offset of the D1 tax paid by our client against the employer company's PAYE liability. (In other words, the Inspector's applying Demibourne treatment). That leaves our client eligible to reclaim D1 tax and class 4 NI paid on that income, given that the company are now liable.
Last time I had a similar case I remember treating the (say) £2k as net pay. But I'm receiving general hints by the (DPA-bound) Inspector's staff that I should treat it as gross pay. Can anyone please tell me which? I've been scanning through the Income Tax (PAYE) (Amendment) Regs 2008 - the legislation laid to overcome Demibourne - to look for any changes that might dictate that pay deemed to be employment income should nowadays be treated as gross (even though the Inspector has found a reason not to apply a Demibourne-like direction in this particular case).
£2k per month net or gross?
- Are bankruptcy restrictions order becoming more common? 161 3
- Are contractor travel expenses 61 1
- Expat working back in UK 66 2
- Charge out rates in London? 97 1
- Who owns SAGE Data? 385 8
- Audit Exemption new rules 260 6
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 451 14
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 77 3
- change of paye software 500 13
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 266 5
- Which software for practice books? 457 19
- Several employments - large tax bill remaining 222 4
- CIS to 5/10/13 and HMRC Computer issue 525 2
- share capital calculation 246 14
- Dispensation pointless ? 188 3
- Renting property to yourself 451 12
- Concerned about RTI 2014 1,965 51
- RTI Student Loan Reconciliation 178 4
- Pension contributions limits 262 11
- pre letting expenses 129 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 725
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 473
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 286
- How to format a stock book 250
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 206
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 202
- Tax efficient holding company structure 190
- Investment property company accounts template 185
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 178
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 162