Net or Gross Pay?
Client worked for limited company and was paid £2k per month 2004/05 to 2007/08. He included this in his self-employed income.
Following a wages inspection, the Inspector refused the "employer" company any offset of the D1 tax paid by our client against the employer company's PAYE liability. (In other words, the Inspector's applying Demibourne treatment). That leaves our client eligible to reclaim D1 tax and class 4 NI paid on that income, given that the company are now liable.
Last time I had a similar case I remember treating the (say) £2k as net pay. But I'm receiving general hints by the (DPA-bound) Inspector's staff that I should treat it as gross pay. Can anyone please tell me which? I've been scanning through the Income Tax (PAYE) (Amendment) Regs 2008 - the legislation laid to overcome Demibourne - to look for any changes that might dictate that pay deemed to be employment income should nowadays be treated as gross (even though the Inspector has found a reason not to apply a Demibourne-like direction in this particular case).
£2k per month net or gross?
- client can't/won't pay 1,554 28
- Investment from Friend 31 3
- Identity check problem 1,224 13
- A Director of a Ltd Company let a general Manager run the company, and if anything goes wrong the general manager is responsible? 141 3
- Business Set up cost 88 1
- Advice on letting a client go ? 632 12
- Aged Debtor 49 1
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 945 34
- Loss carry back in Taxfiler 69 3
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 758 28
- blank - ignore 488 8
- Part disposal of shareholding with CGT loss attached 80 2
- calculate mortgage interest 348 5
- Do we have to register for VAT? 439 9
- Capital Gains Relief 93 3
- Companies House praise 223 1
- Tax Penalty overreaction 2,061 14
- Most cr*p bank account ever? 158 1
- Directors NIC's 179 5
- VAT field when booking bills for organisations on VAT FRS 73 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 875
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 571
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 534
- Latest phishing scam 469
- Entrepreneurs' relief 412
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 338
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 317
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 240
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 228
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 163