Net or Gross Pay?
Client worked for limited company and was paid £2k per month 2004/05 to 2007/08. He included this in his self-employed income.
Following a wages inspection, the Inspector refused the "employer" company any offset of the D1 tax paid by our client against the employer company's PAYE liability. (In other words, the Inspector's applying Demibourne treatment). That leaves our client eligible to reclaim D1 tax and class 4 NI paid on that income, given that the company are now liable.
Last time I had a similar case I remember treating the (say) £2k as net pay. But I'm receiving general hints by the (DPA-bound) Inspector's staff that I should treat it as gross pay. Can anyone please tell me which? I've been scanning through the Income Tax (PAYE) (Amendment) Regs 2008 - the legislation laid to overcome Demibourne - to look for any changes that might dictate that pay deemed to be employment income should nowadays be treated as gross (even though the Inspector has found a reason not to apply a Demibourne-like direction in this particular case).
£2k per month net or gross?
- Any Scottish members out there? 10,171 363
- What is the role of an accountant? 373 13
- A question for the payroll-only bureau's out there 241 1
- P11D Query 137 4
- 100% Xero practice 2,239 40
- Out of Date Returns, CIS and Determination 61 3
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,317 25
- Company Accounts 430 8
- QuickBooks - Separating expenses from purchases 82 2
- Lexis Nexis 3 Month Cancellation Notice 279 7
- EIS/SEIS capital gains exemption 189 4
- VAT on introducer fees 117 2
- Investor wants shares. How does that work? 75 2
- Pay-slip date & Pay-ment Date 194 12
- Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) 318 18
- Scottish but not UK 274 7
- Pension Contributions Relief 263 9
- VAT Fuel Scale Charge for Fuel on Private/Personal Car 283 5
- CIS 351 11
- Difference of Sales Invoices and Bank receipts for Sales 128 5
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,220
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 428
- National Insurance 327
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 320
- Non Resident 251
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 250
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 240
- Franchise income and costs 219
- Tax on interest received from insurance company 154
- Hands on experience of Digita 152