Net or Gross Pay?
Client worked for limited company and was paid £2k per month 2004/05 to 2007/08. He included this in his self-employed income.
Following a wages inspection, the Inspector refused the "employer" company any offset of the D1 tax paid by our client against the employer company's PAYE liability. (In other words, the Inspector's applying Demibourne treatment). That leaves our client eligible to reclaim D1 tax and class 4 NI paid on that income, given that the company are now liable.
Last time I had a similar case I remember treating the (say) £2k as net pay. But I'm receiving general hints by the (DPA-bound) Inspector's staff that I should treat it as gross pay. Can anyone please tell me which? I've been scanning through the Income Tax (PAYE) (Amendment) Regs 2008 - the legislation laid to overcome Demibourne - to look for any changes that might dictate that pay deemed to be employment income should nowadays be treated as gross (even though the Inspector has found a reason not to apply a Demibourne-like direction in this particular case).
£2k per month net or gross?
- Hosted email exchange 57 2
- Why will HMRC not code out my client's £1,730 underpayment for 12/13 326 11
- Scottish independence - what happens to HMRC? 719 45
- Bringing money to Uk 173 3
- How can I tell what returns are outstanding on HMRC online? 53 1
- G P life time allowance 64 2
- Accounting for investment club gains 90 2
- Audit rules 98 2
- New Business Registration 162 3
- Moving from Sage payroll to Iris Payroll 165 5
- Incorporation Fee - What's Non-deductible? 537 11
- SA302 92 2
- Can customer claim VAT on contractor cash purchases. 127 1
- Can anyone advise on the best VAT Scheme to change to? 90 2
- VAT REGISTRATION TRANSFER 55 2
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 173 6
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,267 38
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 63 1
- Capital allowances for estates in administration 101 1
- Hotel accommodation tax deductible? 273 3
- Xtuple 487
- Qtac payroll for bureau 328
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 273
- Industrial & Provident Societies 267
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 211
- Mehjoo 209
- New strategic report 165
- Domain name sale and limited company 148
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 145
- South African Government Pension 144