Net or Gross Pay?
Client worked for limited company and was paid £2k per month 2004/05 to 2007/08. He included this in his self-employed income.
Following a wages inspection, the Inspector refused the "employer" company any offset of the D1 tax paid by our client against the employer company's PAYE liability. (In other words, the Inspector's applying Demibourne treatment). That leaves our client eligible to reclaim D1 tax and class 4 NI paid on that income, given that the company are now liable.
Last time I had a similar case I remember treating the (say) £2k as net pay. But I'm receiving general hints by the (DPA-bound) Inspector's staff that I should treat it as gross pay. Can anyone please tell me which? I've been scanning through the Income Tax (PAYE) (Amendment) Regs 2008 - the legislation laid to overcome Demibourne - to look for any changes that might dictate that pay deemed to be employment income should nowadays be treated as gross (even though the Inspector has found a reason not to apply a Demibourne-like direction in this particular case).
£2k per month net or gross?
- Withdrawing company car 95 1
- The stupidity continues 1,395 71
- looking for a practice consultant 115 1
- AML report needed? 163 7
- Bank request To verify Accounts 203 6
- RE assets introduced and rent 72 1
- transactions after account have been closed 307 10
- VAT on work on residential premises (empty for 2 years prior) 64 1
- How to claim subsistence for working away from home 156 2
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 388 9
- Marketing and email surprises 449 9
- If you've had any issues posting: Please read this 764 26
- What is IRIS World like? 408 10
- Limited company director - other earnings in the tax year 322 5
- Mlom bollocks 252 4
- VT Transactions Stock Issues 106 2
- Non-Europe based but want to do UK taxes 158 1
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 590 11
- Can I claim Vat on solicitors invoices? 310 6
- Offsetting CT losses against another company 284 6
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 444
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 443
- WIP Software 308
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 293
- No payroll scheme in place 241
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 235
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 215
- Is there anything wrong with this? 210
- Small Part Disposal of Property 196
- Uncommercial property business 189