Net or Gross Pay?
Client worked for limited company and was paid £2k per month 2004/05 to 2007/08. He included this in his self-employed income.
Following a wages inspection, the Inspector refused the "employer" company any offset of the D1 tax paid by our client against the employer company's PAYE liability. (In other words, the Inspector's applying Demibourne treatment). That leaves our client eligible to reclaim D1 tax and class 4 NI paid on that income, given that the company are now liable.
Last time I had a similar case I remember treating the (say) £2k as net pay. But I'm receiving general hints by the (DPA-bound) Inspector's staff that I should treat it as gross pay. Can anyone please tell me which? I've been scanning through the Income Tax (PAYE) (Amendment) Regs 2008 - the legislation laid to overcome Demibourne - to look for any changes that might dictate that pay deemed to be employment income should nowadays be treated as gross (even though the Inspector has found a reason not to apply a Demibourne-like direction in this particular case).
£2k per month net or gross?
- Illegal dividends and prior year accounts errors 123 3
- A previous partnership, a dispute and their conduct now 274 6
- Which software for practice books? 328 11
- Consolidation and subsidiaries with different period ends 109 5
- Enquiry charge out rates - benchmarking 126 2
- Inheritance tax 231 12
- Tax residence 92 2
- Company Car Purchased in Name of Director 133 2
- Concerned about RTI 2014 1,651 33
- Accountant software 295 7
- Accountant Pays Clients Tax 456 7
- HMRC SPAM AGAIN 118 1
- No Prrof of Posting of Tax Return sent by Post 429 13
- Can pre-registration vat be reclaimed? 231 4
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 1,892 22
- Mileage and Corportation Tax 104 1
- Renting property to yourself 330 8
- Definition of "Ultimate Controlling Party" FRS 8 387 16
- register as self employed? 145 2
- Who owns SAGE Data? 170 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 650
- CIS to 5/10/13 and HMRC Computer issue 486
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 451
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 278
- How to format a stock book 236
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 196
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 188
- Tax efficient holding company structure 179
- Investment property company accounts template 165
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 163