Net or Gross Pay?
Client worked for limited company and was paid £2k per month 2004/05 to 2007/08. He included this in his self-employed income.
Following a wages inspection, the Inspector refused the "employer" company any offset of the D1 tax paid by our client against the employer company's PAYE liability. (In other words, the Inspector's applying Demibourne treatment). That leaves our client eligible to reclaim D1 tax and class 4 NI paid on that income, given that the company are now liable.
Last time I had a similar case I remember treating the (say) £2k as net pay. But I'm receiving general hints by the (DPA-bound) Inspector's staff that I should treat it as gross pay. Can anyone please tell me which? I've been scanning through the Income Tax (PAYE) (Amendment) Regs 2008 - the legislation laid to overcome Demibourne - to look for any changes that might dictate that pay deemed to be employment income should nowadays be treated as gross (even though the Inspector has found a reason not to apply a Demibourne-like direction in this particular case).
£2k per month net or gross?
- Time to ditch Sage? 131 2
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 245 8
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 131 2
- Non VAT invoices 120 2
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 263 8
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,357 32
- Fees 143 1
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 238 5
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 186 2
- Form 17 Download 102 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 537 28
- Small hotel - food for personal use 370 4
- HMRC Information notice 985 24
- Recommendations for online payroll software 268 3
- Accountant Specialization. 373 5
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,751 42
- Sage Line 50 171 3
- Off topic slightly - any football fans out there? 180 1
- Can my company contibute more than 40000 to my pension in a tax year? 448 6
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 394 7
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 753
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 412
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 363
- Electric Car 298
- S222 Charge 244
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 203
- IP trans to holding company 193
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 181
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 177
- AIA 176