Net or Gross Pay?
Client worked for limited company and was paid £2k per month 2004/05 to 2007/08. He included this in his self-employed income.
Following a wages inspection, the Inspector refused the "employer" company any offset of the D1 tax paid by our client against the employer company's PAYE liability. (In other words, the Inspector's applying Demibourne treatment). That leaves our client eligible to reclaim D1 tax and class 4 NI paid on that income, given that the company are now liable.
Last time I had a similar case I remember treating the (say) £2k as net pay. But I'm receiving general hints by the (DPA-bound) Inspector's staff that I should treat it as gross pay. Can anyone please tell me which? I've been scanning through the Income Tax (PAYE) (Amendment) Regs 2008 - the legislation laid to overcome Demibourne - to look for any changes that might dictate that pay deemed to be employment income should nowadays be treated as gross (even though the Inspector has found a reason not to apply a Demibourne-like direction in this particular case).
£2k per month net or gross?
- Auto-Enrolment 3,225 159
- How to consolidate an LLP? 209 7
- VAT on “Reimbursement” from third parties 110 4
- How to account for VAT on a newbuild that has been let 176 4
- Accounting for a VAT Group 52 1
- Accountants who provide tech/IT advice 516 2
- Research expenses for authors 194 3
- Tax question about small group and how to set up 73 2
- Late VAT registration penalty 120 3
- HMRC website 102 1
- VAT 66 1
- Tax treatment on the sale of a business 373 18
- Company incorrectly marked 'dormant' by HMRC 121 1
- Pricing 236 8
- Sage error message 70 1
- VAT on converted property having opted to tax 211 8
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 240 3
- Money laundering POCA 227 4
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 114 1
- P11d mistake 136 1
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 502
- Skandia using wrong address 451
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 266
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 242
- Employee rewards 238
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 209
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 203
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 187
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 183
- Etax Australian 153