Net or Gross Pay?
Client worked for limited company and was paid £2k per month 2004/05 to 2007/08. He included this in his self-employed income.
Following a wages inspection, the Inspector refused the "employer" company any offset of the D1 tax paid by our client against the employer company's PAYE liability. (In other words, the Inspector's applying Demibourne treatment). That leaves our client eligible to reclaim D1 tax and class 4 NI paid on that income, given that the company are now liable.
Last time I had a similar case I remember treating the (say) £2k as net pay. But I'm receiving general hints by the (DPA-bound) Inspector's staff that I should treat it as gross pay. Can anyone please tell me which? I've been scanning through the Income Tax (PAYE) (Amendment) Regs 2008 - the legislation laid to overcome Demibourne - to look for any changes that might dictate that pay deemed to be employment income should nowadays be treated as gross (even though the Inspector has found a reason not to apply a Demibourne-like direction in this particular case).
£2k per month net or gross?
- Two clients (married to each other) disappeared from client list 191 5
- Holding companies 117 5
- Money transfers between companies owned by one person 70 1
- Offsetting CIS tax suffered against CT 73 2
- another ir35!!!! 955 5
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 125 3
- I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes 510 6
- Soil Survey Required Mortgage 195 6
- What does it mean?? 165 2
- PayPal Transaction Analysis 72 2
- Donations/grants by a CIC 167 1
- VAT Registration 389 18
- Gifting shares 226 4
- Is our client doing anything wrong? 641 5
- Notes to statutory accounts 186 9
- Childminding & Wear & Tear Allowance 83 1
- VAT on motor expenses 847 30
- A question about share structure 173 2
- VAT & Landlords 112 2
- Client died family to pay redundancy 213 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,525
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 838
- International interest certificate 456
- NOVA 314
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 202
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 200
- Bonus Bonds 198
- Management expenses for investment company 189
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 175
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 165