Net or Gross Pay?
Client worked for limited company and was paid £2k per month 2004/05 to 2007/08. He included this in his self-employed income.
Following a wages inspection, the Inspector refused the "employer" company any offset of the D1 tax paid by our client against the employer company's PAYE liability. (In other words, the Inspector's applying Demibourne treatment). That leaves our client eligible to reclaim D1 tax and class 4 NI paid on that income, given that the company are now liable.
Last time I had a similar case I remember treating the (say) £2k as net pay. But I'm receiving general hints by the (DPA-bound) Inspector's staff that I should treat it as gross pay. Can anyone please tell me which? I've been scanning through the Income Tax (PAYE) (Amendment) Regs 2008 - the legislation laid to overcome Demibourne - to look for any changes that might dictate that pay deemed to be employment income should nowadays be treated as gross (even though the Inspector has found a reason not to apply a Demibourne-like direction in this particular case).
£2k per month net or gross?
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 229 5
- See you all on the other side 438 6
- 12Pay 185 2
- dividends 221 2
- R&D 176 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,028 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 317 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 224 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 165 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 409 5
- Seeking a tax case 423 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 295 4
- Companies house strike off 246 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 208 2
- Moving to the cloud 652 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 172 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 783 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 163 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,009 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 364 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 527
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 399
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 356
- IRIS and FRS 102 332
- Capitalising Finance Lease 294
- USA help 292
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 254
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 251
- Capital gains on rental property 233
- Sage Coretime 219