Net or Gross Pay?
Client worked for limited company and was paid £2k per month 2004/05 to 2007/08. He included this in his self-employed income.
Following a wages inspection, the Inspector refused the "employer" company any offset of the D1 tax paid by our client against the employer company's PAYE liability. (In other words, the Inspector's applying Demibourne treatment). That leaves our client eligible to reclaim D1 tax and class 4 NI paid on that income, given that the company are now liable.
Last time I had a similar case I remember treating the (say) £2k as net pay. But I'm receiving general hints by the (DPA-bound) Inspector's staff that I should treat it as gross pay. Can anyone please tell me which? I've been scanning through the Income Tax (PAYE) (Amendment) Regs 2008 - the legislation laid to overcome Demibourne - to look for any changes that might dictate that pay deemed to be employment income should nowadays be treated as gross (even though the Inspector has found a reason not to apply a Demibourne-like direction in this particular case).
£2k per month net or gross?
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,608 70
- Do I need a smartphone? 649 22
- Incorporated when they should not have 192 7
- Help with HMRC investigation 67 2
- IHT 205 partnership and business interests 70 2
- Tax position re this lease? 345 8
- Reasonable excuse for not filing returns....Death? 312 5
- AWeb - download file 109 2
- pension paid by company? 315 8
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 728 17
- Late annual return 106 1
- Charity work 207 10
- Company Director In Prison 367 8
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 222 12
- HMRC Agents Line 124 2
- Managing Employee Expenses 174 6
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,684 60
- inheritance tax 565 14
- donations to school via self employed business (registered charity) 164 5
- Is compensation for surrender of a lease subject to VAT 74 1
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 672
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 498
- Cancelled 424
- Cancelled 363
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 361
- Probiz 333
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 322
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 242
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 214
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 197