Net or Gross Pay?
Client worked for limited company and was paid £2k per month 2004/05 to 2007/08. He included this in his self-employed income.
Following a wages inspection, the Inspector refused the "employer" company any offset of the D1 tax paid by our client against the employer company's PAYE liability. (In other words, the Inspector's applying Demibourne treatment). That leaves our client eligible to reclaim D1 tax and class 4 NI paid on that income, given that the company are now liable.
Last time I had a similar case I remember treating the (say) £2k as net pay. But I'm receiving general hints by the (DPA-bound) Inspector's staff that I should treat it as gross pay. Can anyone please tell me which? I've been scanning through the Income Tax (PAYE) (Amendment) Regs 2008 - the legislation laid to overcome Demibourne - to look for any changes that might dictate that pay deemed to be employment income should nowadays be treated as gross (even though the Inspector has found a reason not to apply a Demibourne-like direction in this particular case).
£2k per month net or gross?
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 2,635 54
- Personal Allowance for non residents 365 9
- Vat 84 3
- PAYE 100 3
- xerocon 71 1
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,098 10
- Unemployed Accounting Graduate - Need Advice - Small Firms 156 1
- VAT: option to tax 113 2
- IHT dilemma 300 11
- Share Valuation 66 2
- Dormant company or not? 318 13
- VAT - Land Related Services 96 1
- Best form of debt recovery 169 3
- Backdating VAT claim 54 1
- WIP recognition for builders 377 8
- Do I need to keep subscribing to CIMA post qualification? 311 15
- BTL property solely in wife's name - can she split rental income with husband? 194 5
- Prior Year Adjustments 122 2
- Share Issue 220 1
- Payment of Capital from and LLP and Corporate member 152 11
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 656
- Property let at a reduced rate - losses brought forward 521
- Auto enrolment excuses 502
- Removed post 371
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 348
- Social investment tax relief 162
- Call Centre Data Costs 156
- Patent Box and worldwide patents 155
- Digita Hosted Software 140
- option to tax 127