Net or Gross Pay?
Client worked for limited company and was paid £2k per month 2004/05 to 2007/08. He included this in his self-employed income.
Following a wages inspection, the Inspector refused the "employer" company any offset of the D1 tax paid by our client against the employer company's PAYE liability. (In other words, the Inspector's applying Demibourne treatment). That leaves our client eligible to reclaim D1 tax and class 4 NI paid on that income, given that the company are now liable.
Last time I had a similar case I remember treating the (say) £2k as net pay. But I'm receiving general hints by the (DPA-bound) Inspector's staff that I should treat it as gross pay. Can anyone please tell me which? I've been scanning through the Income Tax (PAYE) (Amendment) Regs 2008 - the legislation laid to overcome Demibourne - to look for any changes that might dictate that pay deemed to be employment income should nowadays be treated as gross (even though the Inspector has found a reason not to apply a Demibourne-like direction in this particular case).
£2k per month net or gross?
- Which tax returns can I submit? 177 5
- Cocaine anyone? 898 15
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 260 5
- Vat on new builds 66 1
- Using home as clients registered address 242 5
- VAT MOSS registration 98 1
- Anyone else still working this week? 473 15
- How much does the company pay 824 35
- HMRC property income enquiry 459 10
- Proof of identification 140 2
- When to provide S419 tax in the accounts 167 4
- Sole Trader change of accounting date 126 1
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 312 5
- Childcare vouchers 375 8
- Is this a qualifying loan for interest deductions? 108 2
- New Enterprise Allowance 101 1
- VAT Notice 700/64 - claiming VAT on motor repairs 97 1
- two business from one premises 197 3
- VAT transfer on going concern on incorporation 77 1
- 10 Worst xmas presents for an accountant 381 4
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 516
- corporate hierarchy 480
- Advice - 333
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 281
- WWOOFers 270
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 261
- The booking.com con 258
- Cocaine anyone? 238
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 234
- UK State pension paid in NZ 182