Net or Gross Pay?
Client worked for limited company and was paid £2k per month 2004/05 to 2007/08. He included this in his self-employed income.
Following a wages inspection, the Inspector refused the "employer" company any offset of the D1 tax paid by our client against the employer company's PAYE liability. (In other words, the Inspector's applying Demibourne treatment). That leaves our client eligible to reclaim D1 tax and class 4 NI paid on that income, given that the company are now liable.
Last time I had a similar case I remember treating the (say) £2k as net pay. But I'm receiving general hints by the (DPA-bound) Inspector's staff that I should treat it as gross pay. Can anyone please tell me which? I've been scanning through the Income Tax (PAYE) (Amendment) Regs 2008 - the legislation laid to overcome Demibourne - to look for any changes that might dictate that pay deemed to be employment income should nowadays be treated as gross (even though the Inspector has found a reason not to apply a Demibourne-like direction in this particular case).
£2k per month net or gross?
- Is there a way around new dividend tax changes? 2,308 16
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 524 12
- Unable to access Co House website 48 1
- Late night meals self employed 215 1
- PPR ELECTION 155 5
- Winning clients from retiring accountant - ethics/morals 537 10
- VAN Benefit in Kind - Tax Code 117 1
- Builing a gin palace but wants to rent out for a year first 441 3
- PAYE variance 166 1
- Partnership VAT reg - also applies to partner's INDIVIDUAL income? 193 4
- Mother and son property ownership 462 1
- Resigning as a director 291 8
- Is it okay to make full time drivers self employed? 1,769 22
- Paper partnership return 150 2
- Repayment of Share Capital 303 4
- Asignment of lease and premium paid 197 3
- Over VAT threshold but now ceased trading 331 2
- Reclaim VAT charged by US company 231 2
- Entrepreneurs' Relief - we're too late, aren't we ? 638 6
- Sole Director Limited Company and Childcare..hat is most tax efficient way to do it? 512 6
- NHS finance professionals 557
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 371
- Foreign Pension Contribution 335
- Fines for late submission of the RDR 317
- vat gross profit percentage margins 297
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 297
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 273
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 244
- EBT Self Assessment Return 230
- Thinning income 211