Net or Gross Pay?
Client worked for limited company and was paid £2k per month 2004/05 to 2007/08. He included this in his self-employed income.
Following a wages inspection, the Inspector refused the "employer" company any offset of the D1 tax paid by our client against the employer company's PAYE liability. (In other words, the Inspector's applying Demibourne treatment). That leaves our client eligible to reclaim D1 tax and class 4 NI paid on that income, given that the company are now liable.
Last time I had a similar case I remember treating the (say) £2k as net pay. But I'm receiving general hints by the (DPA-bound) Inspector's staff that I should treat it as gross pay. Can anyone please tell me which? I've been scanning through the Income Tax (PAYE) (Amendment) Regs 2008 - the legislation laid to overcome Demibourne - to look for any changes that might dictate that pay deemed to be employment income should nowadays be treated as gross (even though the Inspector has found a reason not to apply a Demibourne-like direction in this particular case).
£2k per month net or gross?
- buying asset and settling vendor's debt 64 3
- USA Tax Query 83 1
- Disengagement Help! 1,631 25
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 517 11
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 921 6
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 146 6
- Expenses paid by director (the comapny owner) 192 2
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 575 18
- Corrupt Excel File 666 10
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 335 4
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,954 43
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,166 39
- Locked Out of HMRC Online Account - HMRC Not Responding 280 2
- Re-Training costs - tax reief 369 7
- Personal Tax 413 10
- Xerocon 2016 931 18
- Capital Gain on Share Disposal with Held Over Gains 129 1
- 64-8's amazingly quick 232 4
- last minute request 455 5
- VAT - Check on clients business 1,239 46