Net or Gross Pay?
Client worked for limited company and was paid £2k per month 2004/05 to 2007/08. He included this in his self-employed income.
Following a wages inspection, the Inspector refused the "employer" company any offset of the D1 tax paid by our client against the employer company's PAYE liability. (In other words, the Inspector's applying Demibourne treatment). That leaves our client eligible to reclaim D1 tax and class 4 NI paid on that income, given that the company are now liable.
Last time I had a similar case I remember treating the (say) £2k as net pay. But I'm receiving general hints by the (DPA-bound) Inspector's staff that I should treat it as gross pay. Can anyone please tell me which? I've been scanning through the Income Tax (PAYE) (Amendment) Regs 2008 - the legislation laid to overcome Demibourne - to look for any changes that might dictate that pay deemed to be employment income should nowadays be treated as gross (even though the Inspector has found a reason not to apply a Demibourne-like direction in this particular case).
£2k per month net or gross?
- Market Value/Connected Persons 197 8
- Google contacts sharing within our domain 77 1
- Limited Companies, Directors Employer Registration P11D 144 4
- SAGE - Filtering Inactive Suppliers/Customers 124 2
- Personal allowance 420 10
- Workshops centred around Xero 459 12
- Scams are not always obvious 694 19
- RTI, no payroll but BIK 128 1
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 134 2
- VAT on long lease in comercial property thathas opted to Tax 96 3
- Related party disclosures 174 3
- Input vat on my fees after deregistration 183 2
- Charity Buildings and Zero-rated Vat 87 1
- Auto Enrolment, Payroll, Small Client Advice and what to charge? 617 17
- 100% FYA, do I have to cliam all of it in 1 year? 245 4
- Vat query - EU customer requesting invoice without charging vat 255 8
- Is this legal? 626 9
- Saying NO to a time wasters 1,998 23
- Cells from many sheets 127 2
- Taxation of rental income 221 4
- New Fangled Penalties 1,043
- Moving away from CCH software 905
- Recruitment agencies 529
- QROP pension input amounts 411
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 363
- Deemed Employment Payment 346
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 308
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 300
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 221
- fraud 218