Net or Gross Pay?
Client worked for limited company and was paid £2k per month 2004/05 to 2007/08. He included this in his self-employed income.
Following a wages inspection, the Inspector refused the "employer" company any offset of the D1 tax paid by our client against the employer company's PAYE liability. (In other words, the Inspector's applying Demibourne treatment). That leaves our client eligible to reclaim D1 tax and class 4 NI paid on that income, given that the company are now liable.
Last time I had a similar case I remember treating the (say) £2k as net pay. But I'm receiving general hints by the (DPA-bound) Inspector's staff that I should treat it as gross pay. Can anyone please tell me which? I've been scanning through the Income Tax (PAYE) (Amendment) Regs 2008 - the legislation laid to overcome Demibourne - to look for any changes that might dictate that pay deemed to be employment income should nowadays be treated as gross (even though the Inspector has found a reason not to apply a Demibourne-like direction in this particular case).
£2k per month net or gross?
- Directors/owners taking too much cash... 916 14
- Spanish Tax Return 97 5
- Accounts/CT600 Filing HMRC & Companies House 9 1
- Missing accountant! 629 4
- Property Development 338 8
- PAYE Refund Farce At HMRC 444 6
- Invoicing clients System? 280 6
- VAT on land sale 200 7
- Loss on cessation of sole trade 199 5
- Free Agent - Payments on Account 405 11
- MAAT vs ACCA 2,088 39
- Director self assessment 251 15
- Directors and unemployment benefit 199 10
- Which address 193 8
- Sale of overseas home on return to UK 105 2
- Donaldson v HMRC - result?? 454 6
- Supply to Irish State Body 241 3
- Have I made a mistake... 581 4
- Wear & Tear Allowances 352 8
- Tax relief for Director incurring business expenses on his credit card 255 3
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 409
- CTA study material 365
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 274
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 253
- new capital structure ltd with investors 207
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 204
- Pre incorp expenses 203
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 185
- Slight twist on employment related securities 175
- Accommodation provided to employees for short term contract away from home 159