Net or Gross Pay?
Client worked for limited company and was paid £2k per month 2004/05 to 2007/08. He included this in his self-employed income.
Following a wages inspection, the Inspector refused the "employer" company any offset of the D1 tax paid by our client against the employer company's PAYE liability. (In other words, the Inspector's applying Demibourne treatment). That leaves our client eligible to reclaim D1 tax and class 4 NI paid on that income, given that the company are now liable.
Last time I had a similar case I remember treating the (say) £2k as net pay. But I'm receiving general hints by the (DPA-bound) Inspector's staff that I should treat it as gross pay. Can anyone please tell me which? I've been scanning through the Income Tax (PAYE) (Amendment) Regs 2008 - the legislation laid to overcome Demibourne - to look for any changes that might dictate that pay deemed to be employment income should nowadays be treated as gross (even though the Inspector has found a reason not to apply a Demibourne-like direction in this particular case).
£2k per month net or gross?
- Gave wrong info to client about tax due 308 11
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,290 40
- Penalty for late PAYE registration? 201 3
- AIA or IFA 397 7
- Surely not? 362 10
- Batch input of data to Xero - is there an app? 607 9
- Start up allowance? 299 10
- Running two businesses from the same premises 327 3
- Working out private usage for a Taxi Driver? 336 7
- Late Registration for VAT 337 11
- Old CGT loss 152 2
- When do consolidated/group accounts needs preparing? 245 5
- NLedger 290 10
- Share structures 122 5
- It’s our staff Christmas party this week, what did you do for your firm? 2,121 19
- Meal Allowance - Limited Company 323 5
- Business rates consultancy 208 3
- Capitalisation - Scanning Files 169 4
- Are HMRC staff on early 531 7
- Tax on income from discretionary trust in SATR 213 9
- TheTax Donut 1,045
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 686
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 627
- Follower cases 492
- Limited company purchase of property 433
- Hive up 426
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 395
- corporate hierarchy 388
- LIVE chat, starting now 346
- Advice - 194