Net or Gross Pay?
Client worked for limited company and was paid £2k per month 2004/05 to 2007/08. He included this in his self-employed income.
Following a wages inspection, the Inspector refused the "employer" company any offset of the D1 tax paid by our client against the employer company's PAYE liability. (In other words, the Inspector's applying Demibourne treatment). That leaves our client eligible to reclaim D1 tax and class 4 NI paid on that income, given that the company are now liable.
Last time I had a similar case I remember treating the (say) £2k as net pay. But I'm receiving general hints by the (DPA-bound) Inspector's staff that I should treat it as gross pay. Can anyone please tell me which? I've been scanning through the Income Tax (PAYE) (Amendment) Regs 2008 - the legislation laid to overcome Demibourne - to look for any changes that might dictate that pay deemed to be employment income should nowadays be treated as gross (even though the Inspector has found a reason not to apply a Demibourne-like direction in this particular case).
£2k per month net or gross?
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,637 20
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 235 8
- Allegedly ICAS most of us at 50 should pack up - Interesting 326 8
- Reimbursing director travel costs 370 5
- Client Paperwork Retention? 482 11
- Sage 50 VAT Return 120 2
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 513 1
- Paying Son 616 18
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 336 7
- HMRC accounting 246 3
- Employers NI allowance 439 6
- Dividend taxation 251 3
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 156 1
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 177 2
- Tax Overlap Reporting 148 3
- Love is in the air 157 2
- Buy to Let Property! Shell I buy or not? 436 4
- iris update 11.9.2 445 7
- HMRC Discovery powers 271 3
- Where to follow court cases/rulings 682 8
- DTA tie-breaker issue 294
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 273
- CGT for NOn UK residents 269
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 256
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 242
- Apprenticeship Levy 231
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 228
- Capital Gains personal representatives 215
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 207
- Mandating Rental income or dividend income to a company 185