NIT and tax treatment for non UK employees employed by UK company
We act for a UK resident company . This company took on an employee on 1 January 2007 who is NOT and WILL NOT be resident/ordinarily resident or domiciled in the UK. This employee is a FRENCH national whose place of residence and domicile is in FRANCE. NONE of his duties of employment will be performed in UK.
We have tried unsuccessfully to speak and obtain advice from :-
End of Year Employers helpline
By post by sending a letter with P46 form explaining the above.
In the end we have been told to contact the centre for non residents, but the number is engaged or we are told to call again. And the email address is useless
We need to know what tax code (we believe the NT code should be applied) to use and obtain confirmation that no NI contributions are payable either. This employee does not have a UK NI number, but we have obtained his French Social Security Number.
It would be helpful if there was some notes and guidance on the web-site or on employers CD rom. While this situation is unusual it is not unique and we should like someone to get back to us ASAP. How does HMRC expect taxpayers/employers to follow the rules if they are not clear or easy to find.
Just managed to get through CNR and guess what they have referred me back to the employers' section (but with new telephone number) and no one is picking up.... plus the NI section for non residents.
Why do they have to make it so complicated????
Any help from members would be greatly appreciated.
- More Auto enrolment (sorry) 53 1
- Is this acceptable advice for limited co 1,070 29
- paid or unpaid - who knows! 439 8
- Does anyone know how to deal with crowd funding income 223 6
- VAT silly question 2,266 51
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 173 6
- Classic cars investment 157 4
- Ceasing to trade when legal action being taken.. 256 3
- Cater Allen Commission 136 3
- How do I complain about an FCCA accountant 252 4
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 729 20
- Fees for dealing with auto-enrolment 131 1
- VAT on 'educational' services - UK and overseas 82 1
- Vat reclaim on invoice payable over 4 years 129 1
- Sage 2010 data corruption 140 5
- online book keeping systems - what happens after you stop paying? 506 13
- Sage at it again? 374 5
- BrightPay 516 13
- Is this a scam? 1,609 27
- S455 463 21
- Benchmarking 474
- Possible Partnership? 420
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 403
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 391
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 335
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 198
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 183
- Income tax on foreign dividends 175
- Late reply from HMRC 175
- Clubs and Taxable Income 173