NIT and tax treatment for non UK employees employed by UK company
We act for a UK resident company . This company took on an employee on 1 January 2007 who is NOT and WILL NOT be resident/ordinarily resident or domiciled in the UK. This employee is a FRENCH national whose place of residence and domicile is in FRANCE. NONE of his duties of employment will be performed in UK.
We have tried unsuccessfully to speak and obtain advice from :-
End of Year Employers helpline
By post by sending a letter with P46 form explaining the above.
In the end we have been told to contact the centre for non residents, but the number is engaged or we are told to call again. And the email address is useless
We need to know what tax code (we believe the NT code should be applied) to use and obtain confirmation that no NI contributions are payable either. This employee does not have a UK NI number, but we have obtained his French Social Security Number.
It would be helpful if there was some notes and guidance on the web-site or on employers CD rom. While this situation is unusual it is not unique and we should like someone to get back to us ASAP. How does HMRC expect taxpayers/employers to follow the rules if they are not clear or easy to find.
Just managed to get through CNR and guess what they have referred me back to the employers' section (but with new telephone number) and no one is picking up.... plus the NI section for non residents.
Why do they have to make it so complicated????
Any help from members would be greatly appreciated.
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 93 8
- Amortisation of Goodwill 235 1
- You know its over 73 2
- Cocaine anyone? 368 7
- TaxCalc Accounts production 372 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 369 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 613 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 495 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 512 4
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 33 1
- Personal pension 379 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 206 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,187 11
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 877 27
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 91 3
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,498 22
- Holding Company - Ltd or PLC? 302 4
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 274 1
- Tax return software for remote working 504 4
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 469 9
- Hive up 479
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 442
- corporate hierarchy 420
- Advice - 257
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 215
- WWOOFers 208
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 197
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 186
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 162
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 161