NIT and tax treatment for non UK employees employed by UK company
We act for a UK resident company . This company took on an employee on 1 January 2007 who is NOT and WILL NOT be resident/ordinarily resident or domiciled in the UK. This employee is a FRENCH national whose place of residence and domicile is in FRANCE. NONE of his duties of employment will be performed in UK.
We have tried unsuccessfully to speak and obtain advice from :-
End of Year Employers helpline
By post by sending a letter with P46 form explaining the above.
In the end we have been told to contact the centre for non residents, but the number is engaged or we are told to call again. And the email address is useless
We need to know what tax code (we believe the NT code should be applied) to use and obtain confirmation that no NI contributions are payable either. This employee does not have a UK NI number, but we have obtained his French Social Security Number.
It would be helpful if there was some notes and guidance on the web-site or on employers CD rom. While this situation is unusual it is not unique and we should like someone to get back to us ASAP. How does HMRC expect taxpayers/employers to follow the rules if they are not clear or easy to find.
Just managed to get through CNR and guess what they have referred me back to the employers' section (but with new telephone number) and no one is picking up.... plus the NI section for non residents.
Why do they have to make it so complicated????
Any help from members would be greatly appreciated.
- How much did you pay for your website 1,671 28
- Sage 50 cost centre limitations 92 3
- What font do you prefer to use for correspondence? 264 11
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 1,025 13
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 258 7
- Sage data 97 1
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 416 9
- Limited company buying a car 355 6
- Funding Circle experience 140 3
- Excel query 103 2
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,283 13
- Payment on account penalties 112 3
- Tax on free shares 130 5
- Flat Rate Vat 14.5% and 5% reduced rate VAT 205 3
- Capital allowances on sale and puchase of business assets 124 1
- Audit 486 14
- PPR relief and half hectare rule 125 3
- Buying a horse?? 428 12
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 192 2
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 775 21
- CTA study material 802
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 494
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 459
- Employment related securities question 321
- AIM Stocks and IHT 308
- Expat pension contributions? 280
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 277
- Trust for Employee 256
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 229
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 160