NIT and tax treatment for non UK employees employed by UK company
We act for a UK resident company . This company took on an employee on 1 January 2007 who is NOT and WILL NOT be resident/ordinarily resident or domiciled in the UK. This employee is a FRENCH national whose place of residence and domicile is in FRANCE. NONE of his duties of employment will be performed in UK.
We have tried unsuccessfully to speak and obtain advice from :-
End of Year Employers helpline
By post by sending a letter with P46 form explaining the above.
In the end we have been told to contact the centre for non residents, but the number is engaged or we are told to call again. And the email address is useless
We need to know what tax code (we believe the NT code should be applied) to use and obtain confirmation that no NI contributions are payable either. This employee does not have a UK NI number, but we have obtained his French Social Security Number.
It would be helpful if there was some notes and guidance on the web-site or on employers CD rom. While this situation is unusual it is not unique and we should like someone to get back to us ASAP. How does HMRC expect taxpayers/employers to follow the rules if they are not clear or easy to find.
Just managed to get through CNR and guess what they have referred me back to the employers' section (but with new telephone number) and no one is picking up.... plus the NI section for non residents.
Why do they have to make it so complicated????
Any help from members would be greatly appreciated.
- No Tax Returns submitted for last 16 years 1,015 24
- Pricing 307 10
- Late VAT registration penalty 228 5
- Partially exempt? 216 7
- Mexican student in UK 88 1
- Dividend in specie 176 3
- VAT on imports and the Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 138 7
- Lorry Drivers 98 1
- VAT 110 2
- QuickBooks, Xero, FreeAgent and ClearBooks 832 18
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 603 7
- Rental Income Tax Planning 199 3
- Vat 78 2
- Auto-Enrolment 3,814 184
- Method for filing 2013/14 payroll? 121 2
- Incorporation Relief 122 2
- First VAT Visit for client 139 2
- Accounting Practice acting as an employment agency 251 11
- capital gains on PPR 1,442 21
- cost of moving out for a few weeks 328 9
- Skandia using wrong address 470
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 272
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 266
- Employee rewards 256
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 216
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 212
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 209
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 196
- Etax Australian 165
- Annual Management Charge Rebates and Self Assessment Tax Return 155