NIT and tax treatment for non UK employees employed by UK company | AccountingWEB

NIT and tax treatment for non UK employees employed by UK company

We act for a UK resident company . This company took on an employee on 1 January 2007 who is NOT and WILL NOT be resident/ordinarily resident or domiciled in the UK. This employee is a FRENCH national whose place of residence and domicile is in FRANCE. NONE of his duties of employment will be performed in UK.

We have tried unsuccessfully to speak and obtain advice from :-

Employers’ helpline
End of Year Employers helpline
Call centre
By post by sending a letter with P46 form explaining the above.

In the end we have been told to contact the centre for non residents, but the number is engaged or we are told to call again. And the email address is useless

We need to know what tax code (we believe the NT code should be applied) to use and obtain confirmation that no NI contributions are payable either. This employee does not have a UK NI number, but we have obtained his French Social Security Number.

It would be helpful if there was some notes and guidance on the web-site or on employers CD rom. While this situation is unusual it is not unique and we should like someone to get back to us ASAP. How does HMRC expect taxpayers/employers to follow the rules if they are not clear or easy to find.

Just managed to get through CNR and guess what they have referred me back to the employers' section (but with new telephone number) and no one is picking up.... plus the NI section for non residents.

Why do they have to make it so complicated????

Any help from members would be greatly appreciated.


There is 1 comment. Login or register to view it.

Who is making it complicated ?

Euan MacLennan |
Euan MacLennan's picture