I received a call today from a person who has 14 days to appeal against a commissioners ruling. He attended the hearing unrepresented. He departed the UK on 17/04/01 and returned on 05/04/03. During this period he returned to the UK for a total of 80 days. HMRC checked for proof of absence and accepted these dates.
He thought he had won. However he had three different jobs whilst overseas, there was a three day gap between one and a two week gap between the other employments. HMRC argued that because he was unemployed in between he did not qualify for non residence.
He went to see a solicitor for advice on if he should appeal. The solicitor refered him to me.
Unfortunately I dont feel qualified to help, and am snowed under with tax returns.
Is there a simple answer to this for example HMRC are correct and dont appeal, or HMRC are incorrect because of________. Or does someone wish to take this case on? Or can someone advise a specialist in this area.
- Is a tax return required - rental income? 354 4
- which software 349 3
- Self employed travel expenses 101 1
- Do I need to pay Capital Gain Tax 340 18
- Audit exempt subsidiary 29 1
- Accounting treatment of service charges incurred prior to occupation 134 1
- Best apps for clients 251 4
- Tax position re this lease? 81 1
- VAT on Training Courses 111 1
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 562 8
- sole trader employing his girlfriend 1,769 16
- HMRC list of tax avoidance schemes 263 2
- Corporation tax - group relief on 75% subsidiary 120 2
- Unpaid company directors and self employment 210 2
- Mortgage interest claim on Buy to let hic up 427 2
- Dissolution of a LLP with ongoing HMRC Inquiry 182 2
- Any point writing to HMRC to appeal against self assessment penalties ? 457 13
- Real names 1,030 32
- VAT charge needed on van sale? 301 7
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 1,786 10
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 575
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 446
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 350
- IFA incorporation 333
- Sorry ignore me 307
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 268
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 260
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 251
- Cancelled 195
- property ownership between husband wife three taxpayers 162