I received a call today from a person who has 14 days to appeal against a commissioners ruling. He attended the hearing unrepresented. He departed the UK on 17/04/01 and returned on 05/04/03. During this period he returned to the UK for a total of 80 days. HMRC checked for proof of absence and accepted these dates.
He thought he had won. However he had three different jobs whilst overseas, there was a three day gap between one and a two week gap between the other employments. HMRC argued that because he was unemployed in between he did not qualify for non residence.
He went to see a solicitor for advice on if he should appeal. The solicitor refered him to me.
Unfortunately I dont feel qualified to help, and am snowed under with tax returns.
Is there a simple answer to this for example HMRC are correct and dont appeal, or HMRC are incorrect because of________. Or does someone wish to take this case on? Or can someone advise a specialist in this area.
- Starting new accounting business 172 3
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 422 10
- Intermediaries reporting - who does it apply to? 94 2
- Does SMP and SPP go up if leave goes across 2 tax years? 332 14
- Are agent account managers any good? 112 2
- Is the annual Money Laundering Payment tax allowable 136 1
- Non Resident Landlord Scheme - Penalties 53 3
- Tolley UK sales number 190 6
- VAT registration - which address? 43 1
- Leaving the flat rate scheme 73 2
- Practice Company Secretarial Software recommendations please 222 4
- On line Remote Training 236 7
- Clients 593 11
- Group Relief 73 1
- Sage 200 vatable journal? 100 4
- Transfer of stock 247 12
- Can a Directors Pension be paid into a Ltd Company 147 1
- New client procedure 299 4
- Managing deliberate defaulters hmrc 242 2
- Enterprise relief 116 2
- QROP pension input amounts 488
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 468
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 435
- EPS and CIS deductions 290
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 281
- Construction CIS LLP Company 272
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 235
- SAGE winforecast 195
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 178
- Overdrawn director account 170