I received a call today from a person who has 14 days to appeal against a commissioners ruling. He attended the hearing unrepresented. He departed the UK on 17/04/01 and returned on 05/04/03. During this period he returned to the UK for a total of 80 days. HMRC checked for proof of absence and accepted these dates.
He thought he had won. However he had three different jobs whilst overseas, there was a three day gap between one and a two week gap between the other employments. HMRC argued that because he was unemployed in between he did not qualify for non residence.
He went to see a solicitor for advice on if he should appeal. The solicitor refered him to me.
Unfortunately I dont feel qualified to help, and am snowed under with tax returns.
Is there a simple answer to this for example HMRC are correct and dont appeal, or HMRC are incorrect because of________. Or does someone wish to take this case on? Or can someone advise a specialist in this area.
- Starting up in practice - safety net 42 1
- How to avoid PAYE Registeration 171 4
- Director's current account - fuel costs and expenses 273 9
- Rental property company 91 1
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 257 7
- Payroo Employer allowance query 245 8
- Enforcing A CCJ 375 7
- RTI 'Late Filing' & paying employees in arrears 137 1
- Reporting no P11d due when PAYE scheme closed by HMRC 5Apr2013 180 2
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 308 5
- Comapny valuation qualifications 143 2
- Ex Client from over 3 years ago 474 5
- Director's tax return 388 8
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 177 3
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,126 34
- Flat rate vat 228 2
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 192 5
- Coming in from the cold 377 3
- Splitting the tax year 186 2
- P11d & Medical Ins 223 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 813
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 564
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 433
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 313
- Free Tax Legislation? 287
- Director Loan account operation 266
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 254
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 254
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 234
- Paye procedures for CVA 173