I received a call today from a person who has 14 days to appeal against a commissioners ruling. He attended the hearing unrepresented. He departed the UK on 17/04/01 and returned on 05/04/03. During this period he returned to the UK for a total of 80 days. HMRC checked for proof of absence and accepted these dates.
He thought he had won. However he had three different jobs whilst overseas, there was a three day gap between one and a two week gap between the other employments. HMRC argued that because he was unemployed in between he did not qualify for non residence.
He went to see a solicitor for advice on if he should appeal. The solicitor refered him to me.
Unfortunately I dont feel qualified to help, and am snowed under with tax returns.
Is there a simple answer to this for example HMRC are correct and dont appeal, or HMRC are incorrect because of________. Or does someone wish to take this case on? Or can someone advise a specialist in this area.
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 119 6
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 544 11
- Can rental income ever be trading income? 240 3
- Benefit In Kind Accommodation 81 1
- Tax Return Deadlines 158 3
- Foreign income for self employed 99 1
- tax credits 51 4
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there....accountants need to help other accountants out :) 436 18
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 49 1
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 591 18
- Sage help...written off bad debt, done year end now bad payer wants to start to pay 38 2
- Who owns SAGE Data? 481 10
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 193 1
- EC VAT 222 10
- Land Opt to Tax - VAT scope 213 7
- Musician deductible expenses 88 1
- Invoice or journal for inter-company transactions 97 1
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 280 8
- Flat rate vat error 341 7
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 543 13
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 849
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 510
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 323
- How to format a stock book 294
- Tax efficient holding company structure 235
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 231
- Investment property company accounts template 220
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 215
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 182
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 151