I received a call today from a person who has 14 days to appeal against a commissioners ruling. He attended the hearing unrepresented. He departed the UK on 17/04/01 and returned on 05/04/03. During this period he returned to the UK for a total of 80 days. HMRC checked for proof of absence and accepted these dates.
He thought he had won. However he had three different jobs whilst overseas, there was a three day gap between one and a two week gap between the other employments. HMRC argued that because he was unemployed in between he did not qualify for non residence.
He went to see a solicitor for advice on if he should appeal. The solicitor refered him to me.
Unfortunately I dont feel qualified to help, and am snowed under with tax returns.
Is there a simple answer to this for example HMRC are correct and dont appeal, or HMRC are incorrect because of________. Or does someone wish to take this case on? Or can someone advise a specialist in this area.
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 21 1
- WC's and capital allowances 146 3
- Entrepeneurs relief 272 13
- Limited company buying a car 26 1
- Dress code 1,519 36
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 459 13
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 226 6
- Limited company buying director's car 227 8
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 417 7
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 353 4
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 462 23
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 132 4
- Loan Repayment on Invoice 75 3
- SH01 filing deadline - late filing 177 4
- Trees and hedging - capital expenditure 154 2
- How to complain about HMRC 1,421 17
- Scottish Independance 764 23
- New laptop - any suggestions please 1,250 26
- Can I contribute to SIPP if I pay no salary/dividend from ltd company 208 3
- Employee to move to Isle of Man 174 1
- CTA study material 763
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 473
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 381
- Employment related securities question 303
- AIM Stocks and IHT 276
- Expat pension contributions? 252
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 248
- Trust for Employee 230
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 162
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 144