I received a call today from a person who has 14 days to appeal against a commissioners ruling. He attended the hearing unrepresented. He departed the UK on 17/04/01 and returned on 05/04/03. During this period he returned to the UK for a total of 80 days. HMRC checked for proof of absence and accepted these dates.
He thought he had won. However he had three different jobs whilst overseas, there was a three day gap between one and a two week gap between the other employments. HMRC argued that because he was unemployed in between he did not qualify for non residence.
He went to see a solicitor for advice on if he should appeal. The solicitor refered him to me.
Unfortunately I dont feel qualified to help, and am snowed under with tax returns.
Is there a simple answer to this for example HMRC are correct and dont appeal, or HMRC are incorrect because of________. Or does someone wish to take this case on? Or can someone advise a specialist in this area.
- I have done a terrible thing 222 7
- Client being taken to court and really do not know what to do 124 3
- AIA 175 16
- Company car but paying for insurance personally - reduces benefit in kind? 258 20
- HMRC property income enquiry 30 2
- partnership tax return 83 5
- Client has already received 13/14 tax refund 53 2
- How to deal with CGT relief on Directors Loan following company sale 37 2
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 268 6
- two business from one premises 37 1
- Gov.UK - can we have HMRC.gov.uk back? 1,133 27
- Anyone else still working this week? 156 4
- s455 tax 88 3
- Van Benefit in Kind Query 55 1
- LLp Profits 75 3
- Am I getting Soft?? 519 12
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 191 3
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,483 44
- Taxation of the sale Record rights 91 1
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 355 18
- Hive up 530
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 489
- corporate hierarchy 462
- Advice - 310
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 258
- WWOOFers 250
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 229
- The booking.com con 220
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 211
- Cocaine anyone? 199