I received a call today from a person who has 14 days to appeal against a commissioners ruling. He attended the hearing unrepresented. He departed the UK on 17/04/01 and returned on 05/04/03. During this period he returned to the UK for a total of 80 days. HMRC checked for proof of absence and accepted these dates.
He thought he had won. However he had three different jobs whilst overseas, there was a three day gap between one and a two week gap between the other employments. HMRC argued that because he was unemployed in between he did not qualify for non residence.
He went to see a solicitor for advice on if he should appeal. The solicitor refered him to me.
Unfortunately I dont feel qualified to help, and am snowed under with tax returns.
Is there a simple answer to this for example HMRC are correct and dont appeal, or HMRC are incorrect because of________. Or does someone wish to take this case on? Or can someone advise a specialist in this area.
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 730 36
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 4,086 15
- CGT on spouse's death 254 11
- Tax relief for networking day out? 455 12
- VAT on non-denominated postage 54 2
- Starting Again 255 11
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 619 19
- CT101 Completion 127 1
- P&L Treatment of property assets 50 1
- Non resident pension withdrawal 144 2
- Mortgage Adviser's request 269 6
- P11D Software 774 9
- PAYE Dashboard inconsistency 201 4
- Why can't I paste into AccountingWeb? 267 5
- Can shareholders lend to their company at interest? 392 10
- Payroll software 188 4
- Company UTR numbers 306 6
- Summer house for business only 151 1
- Transfer of property to Limited Company 126 1
- New starter not showing on RTI FPS submission (MoneySoft payroll) 164 3
- Construction CIS LLP Company 596
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 581
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 381
- Pensions Regulator 347
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 284
- Using the correct forms 262
- SA penalty proposals 251
- RTI - duplicate employee record 240
- Accelerated payment notices 229
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 216