I received a call today from a person who has 14 days to appeal against a commissioners ruling. He attended the hearing unrepresented. He departed the UK on 17/04/01 and returned on 05/04/03. During this period he returned to the UK for a total of 80 days. HMRC checked for proof of absence and accepted these dates.
He thought he had won. However he had three different jobs whilst overseas, there was a three day gap between one and a two week gap between the other employments. HMRC argued that because he was unemployed in between he did not qualify for non residence.
He went to see a solicitor for advice on if he should appeal. The solicitor refered him to me.
Unfortunately I dont feel qualified to help, and am snowed under with tax returns.
Is there a simple answer to this for example HMRC are correct and dont appeal, or HMRC are incorrect because of________. Or does someone wish to take this case on? Or can someone advise a specialist in this area.
- Sub-contractor provided with a vehicle 132 5
- Partner with an IVA 39 3
- Anyone having problems with IRIS OpenSpace? 11 1
- Your fondest calculator memories 128 6
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 341 10
- Can Directors be removed without consequence? 213 4
- Can't understand my own electricity / gas bills 152 3
- Growing pains 313 6
- Owner/Director consultant plus employment elsewhere 175 6
- Does Freeholder have to be director of our RTM Company? 134 7
- Free Agent - Payments on Account 503 13
- Breach of employment contract 151 3
- Benefit of my ACCA membership to my Non Qualified Employer 398 7
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 771 31
- Offset Self-Employed Losses against PAYE 101 3
- Legal Advice Needed Bank Account Blocked 837 13
- Residents Association Corp Tax 151 4
- ATT Annual Return Problems 74 1
- Dealing with VAT on invoices received after VAT return submitted 77 1
- Unfurnished properties allowable replacement expenditure 134 3
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 440
- CTA study material 401
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 296
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 270
- Pre incorp expenses 259
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 232
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 225
- Slight twist on employment related securities 202
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 168
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 162