I received a call today from a person who has 14 days to appeal against a commissioners ruling. He attended the hearing unrepresented. He departed the UK on 17/04/01 and returned on 05/04/03. During this period he returned to the UK for a total of 80 days. HMRC checked for proof of absence and accepted these dates.
He thought he had won. However he had three different jobs whilst overseas, there was a three day gap between one and a two week gap between the other employments. HMRC argued that because he was unemployed in between he did not qualify for non residence.
He went to see a solicitor for advice on if he should appeal. The solicitor refered him to me.
Unfortunately I dont feel qualified to help, and am snowed under with tax returns.
Is there a simple answer to this for example HMRC are correct and dont appeal, or HMRC are incorrect because of________. Or does someone wish to take this case on? Or can someone advise a specialist in this area.
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 997 14
- VAT Tax Point - Overseas Purchase 92 3
- Invoice dispute 530 5
- Should I move back home away from my office? 164 3
- Entrepreneurs Relief 650 31
- DAILY PENALTIES / APPEALS 224 2
- Construction Industry Allowable expenses 395 9
- Property inheritance by overseas resident 78 1
- 2013-14 Tax Return-Transparent Benchmarks? 77 1
- Relevance of UK Residency 59 1
- More AE! 584 12
- IHT dilemma 1,310 20
- Ceasing in membership of ATT 414 4
- Recourse to Accountant for incorrect accounts 1,988 18
- SA -2012_13 return - worth changing? 205 3
- Seting up a Direct Debit for PAYE 153 1
- How to filter to show only rows with 'Total' in description? 202 4
- Micro Entity Accounts 314 3
- Aweb tracking ... 270 3
- PAYE 1,450 16
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,132
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 789
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 473
- Digita Hosted Software 312
- Credit where credit's due....... 252
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 217
- Director phone costs 206
- General rule: Evidence that the customer is in business 179
- Warning for freeagent accountants using payroll import 154
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 141