I received a call today from a person who has 14 days to appeal against a commissioners ruling. He attended the hearing unrepresented. He departed the UK on 17/04/01 and returned on 05/04/03. During this period he returned to the UK for a total of 80 days. HMRC checked for proof of absence and accepted these dates.
He thought he had won. However he had three different jobs whilst overseas, there was a three day gap between one and a two week gap between the other employments. HMRC argued that because he was unemployed in between he did not qualify for non residence.
He went to see a solicitor for advice on if he should appeal. The solicitor refered him to me.
Unfortunately I dont feel qualified to help, and am snowed under with tax returns.
Is there a simple answer to this for example HMRC are correct and dont appeal, or HMRC are incorrect because of________. Or does someone wish to take this case on? Or can someone advise a specialist in this area.
- Method for filing 2013/14 payroll? 207 3
- Is alcohol allowed within the £150 staff entertaining exemption? 896 8
- Companies house dissolved my company. What do I do now? 758 10
- Lorry Drivers 243 4
- Finally a winner from HMRC!!! 408 4
- Resubmit Corporation tax Return 55 1
- Undeclared rental income 984 10
- Income recognition - release of product from a factory 203 10
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 192 4
- Money laundering POCA 354 7
- Ltd Company Buying Own Shares and Transferring Assets 74 1
- Offering Cash Prizes to University Students 141 3
- client threatening legal action 1,989 29
- Incorporation Relief 173 3
- Auto-Enrolment 4,022 187
- Can I claim mileage? 327 6
- limited company for IR35 170 1
- Ir35 test 150 2
- payroll software 286 2
- Mexican student in UK 192 4
- Skandia using wrong address 520
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 285
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 283
- Employee rewards 271
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 242
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 231
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 229
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 216
- Etax Australian 176
- LLP in Construction Industry 131