I received a call today from a person who has 14 days to appeal against a commissioners ruling. He attended the hearing unrepresented. He departed the UK on 17/04/01 and returned on 05/04/03. During this period he returned to the UK for a total of 80 days. HMRC checked for proof of absence and accepted these dates.
He thought he had won. However he had three different jobs whilst overseas, there was a three day gap between one and a two week gap between the other employments. HMRC argued that because he was unemployed in between he did not qualify for non residence.
He went to see a solicitor for advice on if he should appeal. The solicitor refered him to me.
Unfortunately I dont feel qualified to help, and am snowed under with tax returns.
Is there a simple answer to this for example HMRC are correct and dont appeal, or HMRC are incorrect because of________. Or does someone wish to take this case on? Or can someone advise a specialist in this area.
- Payroll experience for beginning AAT student 106 1
- Providing registered office address to clients 83 1
- Share premium or Directors Loan 758 31
- Enquiry into tax return - how co-operative would you be? 392 8
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,445 47
- Interest on HMRC contract settlement 181 3
- Goodwill gesture for providing work 466 12
- VAT reconciliation and VAT return on Sage 134 3
- What would you do in this situation? 205 5
- Filing a P87 (professional fees) before year end. 154 2
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 623 13
- More HMRC on gov.uk 654 11
- Rollover relief - when does gain crystallise in this situation? 112 1
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 355 14
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 254 4
- Research and development - repayment timescale 225 5
- Sole trader hid directorships. 424 6
- NOVA 559 1
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 288 10
- Regional Development Grant 137 4
- Bonus Bonds 396
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 386
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 299
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 263
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 196
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 191
- Company Car Lease 166
- Finance Lease 161
- Form 42 154
- Demerger Reserve 134