I received a call today from a person who has 14 days to appeal against a commissioners ruling. He attended the hearing unrepresented. He departed the UK on 17/04/01 and returned on 05/04/03. During this period he returned to the UK for a total of 80 days. HMRC checked for proof of absence and accepted these dates.
He thought he had won. However he had three different jobs whilst overseas, there was a three day gap between one and a two week gap between the other employments. HMRC argued that because he was unemployed in between he did not qualify for non residence.
He went to see a solicitor for advice on if he should appeal. The solicitor refered him to me.
Unfortunately I dont feel qualified to help, and am snowed under with tax returns.
Is there a simple answer to this for example HMRC are correct and dont appeal, or HMRC are incorrect because of________. Or does someone wish to take this case on? Or can someone advise a specialist in this area.
- Scottish independence - what happens to HMRC? 900 52
- Go Cardless 234 8
- business entertaining deductibility 86 1
- Disengaging a client who uses our office as a registered office address 752 17
- Self assessment tax arrears 84 2
- R & D 92 3
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 209 1
- Shareholder/Directors termination payments 60 1
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 96 2
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 124 3
- Payroll software with annual pay period? 111 1
- New Business Registration 202 5
- Audit rules 131 3
- Hosted email exchange 117 4
- Excel formula for UK corporation tax including losses 131 1
- G P life time allowance 100 3
- Why will HMRC not code out my client's £1,730 underpayment for 12/13 364 11
- Bringing money to Uk 205 3
- How can I tell what returns are outstanding on HMRC online? 115 1
- Accounting for investment club gains 106 2
- Xtuple 497
- Qtac payroll for bureau 332
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 276
- Industrial & Provident Societies 273
- Mehjoo 216
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 214
- New strategic report 168
- Domain name sale and limited company 154
- South African Government Pension 148
- CIS schemes 143