I received a call today from a person who has 14 days to appeal against a commissioners ruling. He attended the hearing unrepresented. He departed the UK on 17/04/01 and returned on 05/04/03. During this period he returned to the UK for a total of 80 days. HMRC checked for proof of absence and accepted these dates.
He thought he had won. However he had three different jobs whilst overseas, there was a three day gap between one and a two week gap between the other employments. HMRC argued that because he was unemployed in between he did not qualify for non residence.
He went to see a solicitor for advice on if he should appeal. The solicitor refered him to me.
Unfortunately I dont feel qualified to help, and am snowed under with tax returns.
Is there a simple answer to this for example HMRC are correct and dont appeal, or HMRC are incorrect because of________. Or does someone wish to take this case on? Or can someone advise a specialist in this area.
- NALS Accountants Report 85 1
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,455 35
- Legal title not in the company name 250 10
- Dividend dates 549 10
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 110 3
- Sole properietor 151 4
- transitioning payroll 223 8
- dividend proposals 87 2
- How to reclaim VAT that was missed off previous invoices? 219 2
- Deduction from Salary 282 8
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 177 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,709 60
- Child Tax Credits - date of cessation of qualifying young person 80 2
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 431 10
- ACCA Cert/Dip in IFRS 156 2
- 12 Pay Problems 247 3
- VAT online filing exemptions 246 3
- Mutual trading organisation has chargeable gain 86 1
- Redudancy 91 1
- Redundancy pay for directors? 482 13
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 621
- Cancelled 362
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 342
- Cancelled 310
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 282
- Probiz 271
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 230
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 227
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 202
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 175