I received a call today from a person who has 14 days to appeal against a commissioners ruling. He attended the hearing unrepresented. He departed the UK on 17/04/01 and returned on 05/04/03. During this period he returned to the UK for a total of 80 days. HMRC checked for proof of absence and accepted these dates.
He thought he had won. However he had three different jobs whilst overseas, there was a three day gap between one and a two week gap between the other employments. HMRC argued that because he was unemployed in between he did not qualify for non residence.
He went to see a solicitor for advice on if he should appeal. The solicitor refered him to me.
Unfortunately I dont feel qualified to help, and am snowed under with tax returns.
Is there a simple answer to this for example HMRC are correct and dont appeal, or HMRC are incorrect because of________. Or does someone wish to take this case on? Or can someone advise a specialist in this area.
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 708 19
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 811 8
- Personal Pension Relief in the Tax Code 348 5
- Paying Son 773 19
- CGT on lost shares/scam 399 5
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 282 10
- Love is in the air 647 7
- Auto enrolment confusion 2,066 47
- Setting up a practice 593 5
- Very large share capital by mistake 578 7
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 524 4
- 24 month rule and expenses 449 1
- Stamp Duty 308 4
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 243 4
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,842 21
- Incorporation of gp practise 426 1
- Client Paperwork Retention? 602 13
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 594 7
- Tax Overlap Reporting 436 4
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 407 9
- DTA tie-breaker issue 306
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 297
- Foreign domicile status 287
- CGT for NOn UK residents 282
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 281
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 259
- Apprenticeship Levy 244
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 243
- Discretionary payment to sick employee 232
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 227