I received a call today from a person who has 14 days to appeal against a commissioners ruling. He attended the hearing unrepresented. He departed the UK on 17/04/01 and returned on 05/04/03. During this period he returned to the UK for a total of 80 days. HMRC checked for proof of absence and accepted these dates.
He thought he had won. However he had three different jobs whilst overseas, there was a three day gap between one and a two week gap between the other employments. HMRC argued that because he was unemployed in between he did not qualify for non residence.
He went to see a solicitor for advice on if he should appeal. The solicitor refered him to me.
Unfortunately I dont feel qualified to help, and am snowed under with tax returns.
Is there a simple answer to this for example HMRC are correct and dont appeal, or HMRC are incorrect because of________. Or does someone wish to take this case on? Or can someone advise a specialist in this area.
- Knuckle down one week to go! 1,111 22
- Advice on letting a client go ? 207 5
- Receipt bank 34 2
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 61 3
- Unbelievable!! 147 2
- Urgent question on company accounting period before it become dormant 66 2
- ITTOIA 2005 s629 81 4
- Do we have to register for VAT? 113 4
- Companies House late filing penalties 2,605 88
- Director remuneration £1000 only in year. paye registration required? 228 3
- Paying 31 January 2015 income tax by instalments 1,317 19
- Paperless practices - do you keep any paper records? 799 24
- Might income tax be payable on these gifts? 265 4
- Non resident income. 291 15
- Use of home deduction 647 21
- How to pay? 136 6
- Are you qualified and wanting to work flexible hours from home? 119 1
- Relevant earnings and losses 138 3
- White van man 734 25
- Car Allowance and Fuel Card for Business Mileage 125 2
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 861
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 553
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 521
- Latest phishing scam 417
- Entrepreneurs' relief 385
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 343
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 324
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 308
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 219
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 199