I received a call today from a person who has 14 days to appeal against a commissioners ruling. He attended the hearing unrepresented. He departed the UK on 17/04/01 and returned on 05/04/03. During this period he returned to the UK for a total of 80 days. HMRC checked for proof of absence and accepted these dates.
He thought he had won. However he had three different jobs whilst overseas, there was a three day gap between one and a two week gap between the other employments. HMRC argued that because he was unemployed in between he did not qualify for non residence.
He went to see a solicitor for advice on if he should appeal. The solicitor refered him to me.
Unfortunately I dont feel qualified to help, and am snowed under with tax returns.
Is there a simple answer to this for example HMRC are correct and dont appeal, or HMRC are incorrect because of________. Or does someone wish to take this case on? Or can someone advise a specialist in this area.
- Physiotherapy And Vat 142 3
- NHS PENSIONS XFER ABROAD 52 1
- We contribute a percentage of employees' salaries to a pension scheme set up by them - do we need to get involved in auto-enrolment? 441 5
- New tax codes for ex-employees 134 2
- how to value rental space 38 2
- Output tax for retailer 251 6
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 436 11
- Budget 2015 predictions 125 4
- Directors loan - no longer a director 286 3
- Failure to operate PAYE 1,912 32
- Telemarketing 110 3
- Pass-through costs - show gross or net under UK GAAP / IFRS? 90 1
- Non domicile swiss bank 119 2
- Husband Wife let property 92 1
- Tennants in Common - Changing % Share 84 1
- Gift between companies 115 2
- Vat reclaim on invoice payable over 4 years 452 6
- Why .... 708 8
- Does anyone know how to deal with crowd funding income 946 9
- NI Contributions in order to claim state pension 549 12
- Possible Partnership? 591
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 497
- New Fangled Penalties 403
- Clubs and Taxable Income 325
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 295
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 248
- Loans to other companies 242
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 209
- Outsource Data Entry 200
- Moving away from CCH software 196