Is this normal for HMRC?
As an agent we rang HMRC and after passing the identity checks the conversation went:
HMRC: How can we help you?
Agent: Do you want the NINO or the UTR?
HMRC: What are you calling about first?
Agent: Surely you need the NINO or UTR first?
HMRC: No, we need to know the purpose of your call.
Agent: The purpose of the call is to ask about progress with our letter dated 16 January.
HMRC: Thank you. What is the UTR?
Agent: The UTR is xxxxxx xxxxxx so now you have asked for what we offered at the begininng of this conversation.
HMRC: That's how we work.
Is this normal or have we missed something?
- Enquiry into tax return - how co-operative would you be? 353 8
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,414 47
- Interest on HMRC contract settlement 167 3
- Goodwill gesture for providing work 438 12
- Share premium or Directors Loan 736 30
- VAT reconciliation and VAT return on Sage 114 3
- What would you do in this situation? 153 5
- Filing a P87 (professional fees) before year end. 138 2
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 607 13
- More HMRC on gov.uk 640 11
- Rollover relief - when does gain crystallise in this situation? 93 1
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 344 14
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 245 4
- Research and development - repayment timescale 220 5
- Sole trader hid directorships. 397 6
- NOVA 556 1
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 276 10
- Regional Development Grant 126 4
- Problem ex client...again.. 2,429 21
- Company car without a salary 238 2
- Bonus Bonds 391
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 378
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 289
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 259
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 188
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 179
- Finance Lease 157
- Company Car Lease 155
- Form 42 149
- Demerger Reserve 132