Is this normal for HMRC?
As an agent we rang HMRC and after passing the identity checks the conversation went:
HMRC: How can we help you?
Agent: Do you want the NINO or the UTR?
HMRC: What are you calling about first?
Agent: Surely you need the NINO or UTR first?
HMRC: No, we need to know the purpose of your call.
Agent: The purpose of the call is to ask about progress with our letter dated 16 January.
HMRC: Thank you. What is the UTR?
Agent: The UTR is xxxxxx xxxxxx so now you have asked for what we offered at the begininng of this conversation.
HMRC: That's how we work.
Is this normal or have we missed something?
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 418 16
- Can anyone advise on the best VAT Scheme to change to? 250 4
- Apologies for reposting this but first post was on Friday afternoon! 321 2
- CT600 Computations - Company Tax Return help 1,278 14
- Sage Bank Reconciliation 131 2
- Companies House incorporation service 317 12
- Factors affecting tax charge FRS 19 (marginal rate) 54 1
- P35 and Service Company questions 130 3
- VAT chargeable to conference attendees 187 6
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 161 1
- Long period of account for Corporation Tax 229 7
- Flat Rate VAT and EU sales (Non VAT) 131 3
- NIC £2000 Allowance - Care Support Worker 136 3
- VAT, vans, sole traders and business use. 1,588 12
- Share Capital 115 2
- Trading income or not? 174 1
- Charge HMRC 395 3
- FRS17 query 229 2
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,772 44
- If I repay my Directors loan, will I haveto pay tax on the profit ? 2,717 29
- Xtuple 545
- Qtac payroll for bureau 374
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 315
- Industrial & Provident Societies 310
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 288
- CIS schemes 220
- Domain name sale and limited company 204
- Investment 183
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 182
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 177