Is this normal for HMRC?
As an agent we rang HMRC and after passing the identity checks the conversation went:
HMRC: How can we help you?
Agent: Do you want the NINO or the UTR?
HMRC: What are you calling about first?
Agent: Surely you need the NINO or UTR first?
HMRC: No, we need to know the purpose of your call.
Agent: The purpose of the call is to ask about progress with our letter dated 16 January.
HMRC: Thank you. What is the UTR?
Agent: The UTR is xxxxxx xxxxxx so now you have asked for what we offered at the begininng of this conversation.
HMRC: That's how we work.
Is this normal or have we missed something?
- Interprise software 74 1
- TAX, VAT and non-UK residence 498 19
- Charity accounting 262 6
- Outsourcing Payroll 88 1
- sage 109 3
- Separate Pay runs for salary and commission 152 4
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 1,052 13
- ATT Exam tips and study help 208 4
- NO SUCH THING AS UNQUALIED ACCOUNTANT 138 1
- FBI2 201 3
- Double entry 170 4
- Companies House 148 3
- Small house in garden 149 1
- THE PUBLIC SECTOR SUCKS 151 2
- Clients 924 18
- can a dormant company make an employer pension contribution? 290 12
- Manually amending PAYE Code Number in HMRC Basic PAYE Tools 151 5
- Accountants not providing all required information 282 4
- Director's personal expenses paid by the Company 312 5
- Sage 50 - How do I find the column headings when I export to CSV 131 5
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 539
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 470
- EPS and CIS deductions 328
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 311
- Construction CIS LLP Company 302
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 296
- Tax Investigation - Employee Travel 264
- Overdrawn director account 219
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 205
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 200