Is this normal for HMRC?
As an agent we rang HMRC and after passing the identity checks the conversation went:
HMRC: How can we help you?
Agent: Do you want the NINO or the UTR?
HMRC: What are you calling about first?
Agent: Surely you need the NINO or UTR first?
HMRC: No, we need to know the purpose of your call.
Agent: The purpose of the call is to ask about progress with our letter dated 16 January.
HMRC: Thank you. What is the UTR?
Agent: The UTR is xxxxxx xxxxxx so now you have asked for what we offered at the begininng of this conversation.
HMRC: That's how we work.
Is this normal or have we missed something?
- Test purchases in VAT enquiries 174 3
- Recommendation for a good website on exchange rate forecast 81 3
- Comments on this scenario 41 1
- Related Parties Note 404 9
- Annual Investment Allowance (AIA) 49 1
- Where can I get Quickbooks help 112 4
- Have i messed up? 575 9
- loss on carbon credits 91 2
- New HMRC phone answering method ... 541 9
- SAGE con 169 3
- Dazed & confused 140 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 228 2
- Overpayment relief claim 115 4
- How to prepare and Finalize Vat company accounts 223 9
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,529 63
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 508 28
- Charity reserves 114 2
- Aggressive HMRC 1,508 16
- Aweb Fantasy Practice 1,253 19
- do I have to pay NI? 272 4
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,001
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 541
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 359
- Tax efficient holding company structure 286
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 271
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 209
- Charge out rates in London? 205
- Pension contributions higher rate extension? 180
- Personal consumption by landlord 178
- Interest on Loan to a Company 170