Is this normal for HMRC?
As an agent we rang HMRC and after passing the identity checks the conversation went:
HMRC: How can we help you?
Agent: Do you want the NINO or the UTR?
HMRC: What are you calling about first?
Agent: Surely you need the NINO or UTR first?
HMRC: No, we need to know the purpose of your call.
Agent: The purpose of the call is to ask about progress with our letter dated 16 January.
HMRC: Thank you. What is the UTR?
Agent: The UTR is xxxxxx xxxxxx so now you have asked for what we offered at the begininng of this conversation.
HMRC: That's how we work.
Is this normal or have we missed something?
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 2,638 54
- Personal Allowance for non residents 367 9
- Vat 86 3
- PAYE 101 3
- xerocon 71 1
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,098 10
- Unemployed Accounting Graduate - Need Advice - Small Firms 156 1
- VAT: option to tax 114 2
- IHT dilemma 301 11
- Share Valuation 68 2
- Dormant company or not? 320 13
- VAT - Land Related Services 97 1
- Best form of debt recovery 169 3
- Backdating VAT claim 54 1
- WIP recognition for builders 378 8
- Do I need to keep subscribing to CIMA post qualification? 314 15
- BTL property solely in wife's name - can she split rental income with husband? 197 5
- Prior Year Adjustments 124 2
- Share Issue 220 1
- Payment of Capital from and LLP and Corporate member 152 11
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 658
- Property let at a reduced rate - losses brought forward 523
- Auto enrolment excuses 505
- Removed post 372
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 350
- Social investment tax relief 162
- Patent Box and worldwide patents 156
- Call Centre Data Costs 156
- Digita Hosted Software 141
- option to tax 127