Is this normal for HMRC?
As an agent we rang HMRC and after passing the identity checks the conversation went:
HMRC: How can we help you?
Agent: Do you want the NINO or the UTR?
HMRC: What are you calling about first?
Agent: Surely you need the NINO or UTR first?
HMRC: No, we need to know the purpose of your call.
Agent: The purpose of the call is to ask about progress with our letter dated 16 January.
HMRC: Thank you. What is the UTR?
Agent: The UTR is xxxxxx xxxxxx so now you have asked for what we offered at the begininng of this conversation.
HMRC: That's how we work.
Is this normal or have we missed something?
- are receipts needed? 506 14
- Anybody heard of Geniac, the new De Lorean? 97 1
- Gift of property & improvements 134 3
- General tax book with planning 187 3
- VAT Invoice 185 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 274 5
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 229 9
- Error in past Corporate tax return 372 6
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,252 69
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 303 11
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 812 32
- IHT and Swiss Property 139 1
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 245 3
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 169 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 472 10
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 394 8
- Help with tax codes on Sage 265 1
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 212 6
- Accounting for a finance lease 179 4
- SA302's anyone?? 550 16
- Skandia using wrong address 1,621
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 902
- International interest certificate 513
- NOVA 369
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 301
- Management expenses for investment company 268
- Bonus Bonds 262
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 176
- tax on apprenticeship income 175
- P11D benefit received by widow 153