Is this normal for HMRC?
As an agent we rang HMRC and after passing the identity checks the conversation went:
HMRC: How can we help you?
Agent: Do you want the NINO or the UTR?
HMRC: What are you calling about first?
Agent: Surely you need the NINO or UTR first?
HMRC: No, we need to know the purpose of your call.
Agent: The purpose of the call is to ask about progress with our letter dated 16 January.
HMRC: Thank you. What is the UTR?
Agent: The UTR is xxxxxx xxxxxx so now you have asked for what we offered at the begininng of this conversation.
HMRC: That's how we work.
Is this normal or have we missed something?
- Sage instant bank rec - is it possible to clear past transactions and reconcile from a given month? 258 6
- BrightPay 592 18
- Classic cars investment 225 7
- Reversing out RTI 30 2
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 185 3
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 307 7
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 289 7
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 257 9
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 804 21
- Fees for dealing with auto-enrolment 230 2
- H&W company 193 3
- VAT on sale of Vehicle 161 3
- tax teatment of index linked mortgage repayment 163 2
- Gift or Capital Gain? 268 7
- How much?? (ACCA rules on practice insurance) 119 1
- Does anyone use a cloud based payroll software 796 32
- VAT silly question 2,388 56
- Are sheepdog winnings taxable? 1,082 10
- Federation Accounts 362 10
- SA302s - Lenders to accept non hmrc copies 545 8
- Benchmarking 489
- Possible Partnership? 430
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 409
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 409
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 348
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 207
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 204
- Clubs and Taxable Income 190
- Income tax on foreign dividends 189
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 184