Is this normal for HMRC?
As an agent we rang HMRC and after passing the identity checks the conversation went:
HMRC: How can we help you?
Agent: Do you want the NINO or the UTR?
HMRC: What are you calling about first?
Agent: Surely you need the NINO or UTR first?
HMRC: No, we need to know the purpose of your call.
Agent: The purpose of the call is to ask about progress with our letter dated 16 January.
HMRC: Thank you. What is the UTR?
Agent: The UTR is xxxxxx xxxxxx so now you have asked for what we offered at the begininng of this conversation.
HMRC: That's how we work.
Is this normal or have we missed something?
- Travel and Subsistence expenses while abroad 267 4
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 78 5
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 88 2
- Goodwill omitted from first years accounts 170 11
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 516 5
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 432 8
- Limited company buying a car 99 3
- ACCA practice certificates 478 5
- Limited company buying director's car 269 10
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 57 1
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 58 1
- WC's and capital allowances 164 3
- Entrepeneurs relief 291 13
- Dress code 1,532 36
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 473 13
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 245 6
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 366 4
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 466 23
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 163 4
- Loan Repayment on Invoice 96 3
- CTA study material 765
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 475
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 387
- Employment related securities question 306
- AIM Stocks and IHT 278
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 256
- Expat pension contributions? 255
- Trust for Employee 233
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 166
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 146