Is this normal for HMRC?
As an agent we rang HMRC and after passing the identity checks the conversation went:
HMRC: How can we help you?
Agent: Do you want the NINO or the UTR?
HMRC: What are you calling about first?
Agent: Surely you need the NINO or UTR first?
HMRC: No, we need to know the purpose of your call.
Agent: The purpose of the call is to ask about progress with our letter dated 16 January.
HMRC: Thank you. What is the UTR?
Agent: The UTR is xxxxxx xxxxxx so now you have asked for what we offered at the begininng of this conversation.
HMRC: That's how we work.
Is this normal or have we missed something?
- letter of reference 217 4
- Staff 211 4
- Software for Accounts layout 397 8
- Income prior to company formation 369 10
- rental property, pre letting costs 173 4
- VAT on farm machinery sold 369 7
- Non-resident company director 117 2
- are we that stupid 975 21
- Looking to move my email from PC to cloud 172 5
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 747 13
- Can this be done? 204 1
- Capital Allowance & AIA 138 1
- Foster Care 142 1
- Spread Betting and Forex Trading 356 5
- Flexible report structure in cloud accounting 111 1
- Self Assessment penalties again 316 3
- Flat Management Company 222 1
- Share structure questions - close company 199 2
- Roll old capital gain into current one or declare separately? 185 4
- Inexpensive CRM for small accountancy practice? 353 5
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 331
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 287
- French ConnectionUK 268
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 252
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 218
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 218
- CentreCRM - anybody using it? 163
- Tax surcharge appeal - where to send ? 156
- E-mailing customer invoices in VT Transaction+ 155
- Agricultural Flat Rate Scheme 149