Not for Profit Org - online filing
Please note I am a book-keeper trying to help and not a devious tax adviser!
A ltd company is a not for profit organisation and they are using online filing for the first time this year. They have been submitting accounts for 5 years and HMRC fully accept they are not a trading company.
Because of how the pages on the joint Companies House / Corp Tax system are set up they could not tick the Charity box (as they are not a registered charity) and so filed as a trading company. They have made a very small profit (well excess income over expenditure) - £10!) but the HMRC automated tax return says they owe tax on it - how do they complete the returns so that Companies House and HMRC know they are not liable for any tax? It was easy with the paper returns as they declared the income and then entered 0 in the Taxable profit section but online they don't sem to be able to do this.
Does anyone else have any experience of this? I saw the posts re the HMRC filing service automatically defaults to 28% tax rate and that all you can do is add a note on the accounts saying you are a small company - I emailed a lovely contributer to this site and he said I should do that also - is this the answer?
- SSAS Pension scheme 124 2
- Quick Income tax calculation question! 504 18
- Physiotherapy 201 3
- Inflation and fees 1,148 20
- Capital allowances not claimed 110 3
- Changing shareholding ratio 244 8
- CGT help please 96 1
- How much would you charge for an interim audit? 323 7
- Cashflow forecasting software 89 2
- What happens when a customer with PPD pays late? 139 2
- Becoming a subcontractor to Accountancy Practices 281 1
- Community Interest Company 125 3
- Redundancy Pay 414 5
- Advice please! 327 1
- Unusual marketing ideas for accountants 732 6
- Do we have to honour her notice? 624 5
- Stand alone practice management software 1,285 21
- Sage Cheque Printing - Still in the dark ages! 114 1
- HMRC interview re client authorisation 367 2
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 599 13