Nullifying possible benefits in kind liability
Question from somebody running a small company, but who is not an accountant...
If an employee has a liability to additional income tax arising from the provision of fringe benefits by the company to the employee (e.g. something like the cost of membership of a local health club for example, or private medical insurance), can the employee nullify that liability by repaying the cost of the benefit to the company in full out of their normal taxed income (in the same tax year as the potential liability arises)?
Logic would seem to dictate that if the employee has paid back to the company what it (the Company) paid for the fringe benefit, then the employee has had no benefit, therefore no benefit-in-kind tax for the employee or additional NI liability on the company would arise. Would you agree?
By extension, therefore, there would be nothing for the company to have to declare on a P11D for the employee at the end of the tax year? (PS - the employee is otherwise paid at a basic salary below the rate of £8,500 per annum).
Also, what about VAT? If the cost of the fringe benefit purchased by the company carried VAT, and this has already been claimed back by the company, is what the employee has to pay back to the company to nullify the benefit being a benefit-in-kind taxable liability the cost to the company with or without the VAT it paid and has claimed back?
I would be very pleased if somebody out there could throw some light onto this little conumdrum...
- Tax residence 90 2
- Enquiry charge out rates - benchmarking 115 1
- Which software for practice books? 307 7
- Company Car Purchased in Name of Director 131 2
- Concerned about RTI 2014 1,634 33
- Accountant software 293 7
- Accountant Pays Clients Tax 451 7
- HMRC SPAM AGAIN 96 1
- No Prrof of Posting of Tax Return sent by Post 424 13
- Can pre-registration vat be reclaimed? 231 4
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 1,884 22
- Mileage and Corportation Tax 89 1
- Renting property to yourself 324 8
- Definition of "Ultimate Controlling Party" FRS 8 386 16
- Consolidation and subsidiaries with different period ends 105 4
- register as self employed? 134 2
- Who owns SAGE Data? 162 1
- VAT enquiry 105 1
- Write off of former director's loan 242 4
- A previous partnership, a dispute and their conduct now 265 4
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 647
- CIS to 5/10/13 and HMRC Computer issue 485
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 451
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 276
- How to format a stock book 235
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 195
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 187
- Tax efficient holding company structure 176
- Investment property company accounts template 165
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 161