Nullifying possible benefits in kind liability
Question from somebody running a small company, but who is not an accountant...
If an employee has a liability to additional income tax arising from the provision of fringe benefits by the company to the employee (e.g. something like the cost of membership of a local health club for example, or private medical insurance), can the employee nullify that liability by repaying the cost of the benefit to the company in full out of their normal taxed income (in the same tax year as the potential liability arises)?
Logic would seem to dictate that if the employee has paid back to the company what it (the Company) paid for the fringe benefit, then the employee has had no benefit, therefore no benefit-in-kind tax for the employee or additional NI liability on the company would arise. Would you agree?
By extension, therefore, there would be nothing for the company to have to declare on a P11D for the employee at the end of the tax year? (PS - the employee is otherwise paid at a basic salary below the rate of £8,500 per annum).
Also, what about VAT? If the cost of the fringe benefit purchased by the company carried VAT, and this has already been claimed back by the company, is what the employee has to pay back to the company to nullify the benefit being a benefit-in-kind taxable liability the cost to the company with or without the VAT it paid and has claimed back?
I would be very pleased if somebody out there could throw some light onto this little conumdrum...
- Company paying out on guarantee 45 3
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 1,747 14
- P60 Plain Paper from Sage Payroll 256 11
- Payroll Software Recommendations 256 8
- indexation factors 94 3
- Drector renting room to company 225 5
- Warranties - Fixed Assets - depreciation 89 2
- Property Revaluation - Postings 101 2
- Moving from Moneysoft to another payroll product 418 10
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,771 58
- Incorporation and goodwill 248 4
- It gets worse ! 178 1
- R&D claim 80 3
- Fee protection 1,110 25
- Received a CIS invoice 283 9
- DLA interest query. 2,962 66
- VAT invoice 230 9
- claim fees with out without VAT? 163 3
- How to print invoice payment history Sage 50 Pro 58 2
- Accounting for software development costs 242 3
- Xtuple 581
- Qtac payroll for bureau 404
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 351
- Domain name sale and limited company 254
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 243
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 224
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 205
- Tax on damages received 204
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 164
- Accounts consolidation spreadsheet 163