Nullifying possible benefits in kind liability
Question from somebody running a small company, but who is not an accountant...
If an employee has a liability to additional income tax arising from the provision of fringe benefits by the company to the employee (e.g. something like the cost of membership of a local health club for example, or private medical insurance), can the employee nullify that liability by repaying the cost of the benefit to the company in full out of their normal taxed income (in the same tax year as the potential liability arises)?
Logic would seem to dictate that if the employee has paid back to the company what it (the Company) paid for the fringe benefit, then the employee has had no benefit, therefore no benefit-in-kind tax for the employee or additional NI liability on the company would arise. Would you agree?
By extension, therefore, there would be nothing for the company to have to declare on a P11D for the employee at the end of the tax year? (PS - the employee is otherwise paid at a basic salary below the rate of £8,500 per annum).
Also, what about VAT? If the cost of the fringe benefit purchased by the company carried VAT, and this has already been claimed back by the company, is what the employee has to pay back to the company to nullify the benefit being a benefit-in-kind taxable liability the cost to the company with or without the VAT it paid and has claimed back?
I would be very pleased if somebody out there could throw some light onto this little conumdrum...
- Need some help on importing procedures and VAT 62 1
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,435 21
- New ACCOUNTINGQUESTIONS website launching 74 1
- JUDGE FRAUD ALERT 79 2
- I have let a client go as it wasnt worth the hassle, 2,038 19
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 382 6
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 125 1
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 191 3
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 111 1
- FPS or EPS 133 2
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 260 3
- Continuity of Practice 189 2
- IRIS Professional Yearend 121 2
- Letting Agents - requirement for audit of clients accounts 311 10
- Scams are not always obvious 2,208 34
- Financial statements accounting policies 245 5
- Does Members voluntary liquidation require change of year end 161 3
- Market Value/Connected Persons 297 10
- Online Downtime 337 4
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 332 3
- Moving away from CCH software 948
- QROP pension input amounts 437
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 380
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 355
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 323
- fraud 283
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 252
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 223
- Construction CIS LLP Company 210
- EPS and CIS deductions 196