Nullifying possible benefits in kind liability
Question from somebody running a small company, but who is not an accountant...
If an employee has a liability to additional income tax arising from the provision of fringe benefits by the company to the employee (e.g. something like the cost of membership of a local health club for example, or private medical insurance), can the employee nullify that liability by repaying the cost of the benefit to the company in full out of their normal taxed income (in the same tax year as the potential liability arises)?
Logic would seem to dictate that if the employee has paid back to the company what it (the Company) paid for the fringe benefit, then the employee has had no benefit, therefore no benefit-in-kind tax for the employee or additional NI liability on the company would arise. Would you agree?
By extension, therefore, there would be nothing for the company to have to declare on a P11D for the employee at the end of the tax year? (PS - the employee is otherwise paid at a basic salary below the rate of £8,500 per annum).
Also, what about VAT? If the cost of the fringe benefit purchased by the company carried VAT, and this has already been claimed back by the company, is what the employee has to pay back to the company to nullify the benefit being a benefit-in-kind taxable liability the cost to the company with or without the VAT it paid and has claimed back?
I would be very pleased if somebody out there could throw some light onto this little conumdrum...
- Self-assessment statistics 2,474 59
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 222 5
- Transmission of ISA 51 2
- Bench-marking software, any ideas? 191 2
- Next Move 715 20
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 190 2
- Not renewing AAT 677 9
- CGT of shares gifted 383 6
- New dividend taxation 508 3
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,799 51
- Co purchase printed materials from EU - VAT 166 1
- Company car v company allowance 293 1
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 437 9
- Company formation and bank account 443 9
- Owning overseas property 354 2
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 291 1
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 286 3
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 711 8
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 740 9
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 287 2
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 668
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 409
- Property letting & CAs 399
- 2015 tax year end 396
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 395
- FCA regulated company in a small group 347
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 322
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 241
- DTA tie-breaker issue 211
- Costly Accounting Software contract 210