Nullifying possible benefits in kind liability
Question from somebody running a small company, but who is not an accountant...
If an employee has a liability to additional income tax arising from the provision of fringe benefits by the company to the employee (e.g. something like the cost of membership of a local health club for example, or private medical insurance), can the employee nullify that liability by repaying the cost of the benefit to the company in full out of their normal taxed income (in the same tax year as the potential liability arises)?
Logic would seem to dictate that if the employee has paid back to the company what it (the Company) paid for the fringe benefit, then the employee has had no benefit, therefore no benefit-in-kind tax for the employee or additional NI liability on the company would arise. Would you agree?
By extension, therefore, there would be nothing for the company to have to declare on a P11D for the employee at the end of the tax year? (PS - the employee is otherwise paid at a basic salary below the rate of £8,500 per annum).
Also, what about VAT? If the cost of the fringe benefit purchased by the company carried VAT, and this has already been claimed back by the company, is what the employee has to pay back to the company to nullify the benefit being a benefit-in-kind taxable liability the cost to the company with or without the VAT it paid and has claimed back?
I would be very pleased if somebody out there could throw some light onto this little conumdrum...
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 467 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 193 13
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 141 2
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 132 2
- You know its over 260 3
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 183 3
- Cocaine anyone? 470 8
- Late Registration for VAT 474 13
- EIS/SEIS 132 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 263 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 404 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 406 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 689 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 542 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 570 4
- Personal pension 395 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 219 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,207 11
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 909 27
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 153 3
- Hive up 487
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 451
- corporate hierarchy 431
- Advice - 268
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 220
- WWOOFers 214
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 204
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 192
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 171
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 171