Nullifying possible benefits in kind liability
Question from somebody running a small company, but who is not an accountant...
If an employee has a liability to additional income tax arising from the provision of fringe benefits by the company to the employee (e.g. something like the cost of membership of a local health club for example, or private medical insurance), can the employee nullify that liability by repaying the cost of the benefit to the company in full out of their normal taxed income (in the same tax year as the potential liability arises)?
Logic would seem to dictate that if the employee has paid back to the company what it (the Company) paid for the fringe benefit, then the employee has had no benefit, therefore no benefit-in-kind tax for the employee or additional NI liability on the company would arise. Would you agree?
By extension, therefore, there would be nothing for the company to have to declare on a P11D for the employee at the end of the tax year? (PS - the employee is otherwise paid at a basic salary below the rate of £8,500 per annum).
Also, what about VAT? If the cost of the fringe benefit purchased by the company carried VAT, and this has already been claimed back by the company, is what the employee has to pay back to the company to nullify the benefit being a benefit-in-kind taxable liability the cost to the company with or without the VAT it paid and has claimed back?
I would be very pleased if somebody out there could throw some light onto this little conumdrum...
- Engagement letter 77 1
- Abortive legal fees deductible on sale? 51 1
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 68 2
- Missing accountant! 1,334 6
- ACCA qualified but not enough 1,005 18
- Sage Import Data 139 3
- Australian dividend 67 1
- Wages paid into another persons bank account 456 9
- Private Healthcare Benefit In Kind 82 3
- Easiest and quickest way to reopen dissolved company, for the purposes of having access to funds in the bank account. 125 4
- Can a director pay for their childs tuition through the company 553 13
- updating shareholdings on companies house 62 1
- Spanish Tax Return 194 6
- Dividend Vouchers 206 3
- National Insurance. 245 2
- Signing Accounts for Mortgage Reference 120 1
- Directors and unemployment benefit 298 13
- Personal Contract Purchase 303 2
- Donaldson v HMRC - result?? 610 7
- new capital structure ltd with investors 262 3
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 417
- CTA study material 380
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 279
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 258
- Pre incorp expenses 232
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 210
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 202
- Slight twist on employment related securities 187
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 134
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 128