Nullifying possible benefits in kind liability
Question from somebody running a small company, but who is not an accountant...
If an employee has a liability to additional income tax arising from the provision of fringe benefits by the company to the employee (e.g. something like the cost of membership of a local health club for example, or private medical insurance), can the employee nullify that liability by repaying the cost of the benefit to the company in full out of their normal taxed income (in the same tax year as the potential liability arises)?
Logic would seem to dictate that if the employee has paid back to the company what it (the Company) paid for the fringe benefit, then the employee has had no benefit, therefore no benefit-in-kind tax for the employee or additional NI liability on the company would arise. Would you agree?
By extension, therefore, there would be nothing for the company to have to declare on a P11D for the employee at the end of the tax year? (PS - the employee is otherwise paid at a basic salary below the rate of £8,500 per annum).
Also, what about VAT? If the cost of the fringe benefit purchased by the company carried VAT, and this has already been claimed back by the company, is what the employee has to pay back to the company to nullify the benefit being a benefit-in-kind taxable liability the cost to the company with or without the VAT it paid and has claimed back?
I would be very pleased if somebody out there could throw some light onto this little conumdrum...
- Capital gains on tax return - attachments 234 8
- Option to Tax 135 3
- Charging VAT to a Swedish Company 117 5
- Out of date tax returns 106 1
- PPR relief Separation and divorce 63 1
- Estate Agent - Advertising/WIP 142 2
- VAT within EC 148 3
- proposed dividends 561 21
- FPS responses ... 405 13
- Tax credits and Concentrix 159 4
- Iris and Miicrosoft 365 233 1
- HMRC repayment has gone to wrong bank account - quickest way to resolve? 346 5
- Valuing Famiy Shareholding 107 1
- Deductible or not ? Working out of hotels /coffee shops 286 4
- Missing PAYE codes 227 4
- New desktop accounting and payroll, help, please 692 14
- Nominal Codes 180 7
- How far back can a direct debit be claimed back by client? 577 4
- DLA Write Off Tax Implications 452 8
- Do I need to revise VAT returns 158 1
- Sanzar 482
- Digital marketing focus group 393
- Sage troubleshooting for employee who has previously claimed SMP 372
- Sainsbury's mangement 320
- Are commercial mortgage cashbacks subject to Corporation Tax ? 316
- Continuity Agreement 314
- Avanti Accounts 313
- Buyback 283
- Entrepreneurs' relief (ER) for EMI shares 228
- Aggresive sales from Iris 180