Nullifying possible benefits in kind liability
Question from somebody running a small company, but who is not an accountant...
If an employee has a liability to additional income tax arising from the provision of fringe benefits by the company to the employee (e.g. something like the cost of membership of a local health club for example, or private medical insurance), can the employee nullify that liability by repaying the cost of the benefit to the company in full out of their normal taxed income (in the same tax year as the potential liability arises)?
Logic would seem to dictate that if the employee has paid back to the company what it (the Company) paid for the fringe benefit, then the employee has had no benefit, therefore no benefit-in-kind tax for the employee or additional NI liability on the company would arise. Would you agree?
By extension, therefore, there would be nothing for the company to have to declare on a P11D for the employee at the end of the tax year? (PS - the employee is otherwise paid at a basic salary below the rate of £8,500 per annum).
Also, what about VAT? If the cost of the fringe benefit purchased by the company carried VAT, and this has already been claimed back by the company, is what the employee has to pay back to the company to nullify the benefit being a benefit-in-kind taxable liability the cost to the company with or without the VAT it paid and has claimed back?
I would be very pleased if somebody out there could throw some light onto this little conumdrum...
- Mixing up NI numbers under RTI 268 7
- Buying a company for £20,000 from owner how it works? 593 9
- 31st october deadline 364 6
- Property gift to sister 93 4
- RTI Late Registration query 140 1
- Treatment of one-off payments to non-employees 215 2
- Payroll software 138 1
- Who gets the CGT deduction 210 2
- Accounting for display stands 229 7
- Companies House Search 295 3
- VAT training 264 4
- Letter saying client is IR35 compliant 268 3
- Is it any of my business ? 1,512 15
- VAT Flat Rate Scheme 318 3
- A Friday Funny. 316 5
- Something for the weekend? 269 5
- Moneysoft Payroll 556 12
- Practicing without a Practicing Certificate 1,251 19
- How much do you charge for Accountant's Reference? 2,539 26
- Coming out of flat rate 156 1
- NHS finance professionals 708
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 429
- Foreign Pension Contribution 402
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 386
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 383
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 338
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 301
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 279
- IFA income recognition & reporting 224
- Incorporating doctors 218