Nullifying possible benefits in kind liability
Question from somebody running a small company, but who is not an accountant...
If an employee has a liability to additional income tax arising from the provision of fringe benefits by the company to the employee (e.g. something like the cost of membership of a local health club for example, or private medical insurance), can the employee nullify that liability by repaying the cost of the benefit to the company in full out of their normal taxed income (in the same tax year as the potential liability arises)?
Logic would seem to dictate that if the employee has paid back to the company what it (the Company) paid for the fringe benefit, then the employee has had no benefit, therefore no benefit-in-kind tax for the employee or additional NI liability on the company would arise. Would you agree?
By extension, therefore, there would be nothing for the company to have to declare on a P11D for the employee at the end of the tax year? (PS - the employee is otherwise paid at a basic salary below the rate of £8,500 per annum).
Also, what about VAT? If the cost of the fringe benefit purchased by the company carried VAT, and this has already been claimed back by the company, is what the employee has to pay back to the company to nullify the benefit being a benefit-in-kind taxable liability the cost to the company with or without the VAT it paid and has claimed back?
I would be very pleased if somebody out there could throw some light onto this little conumdrum...
- How much to charge for payroll? 720 16
- When do we qualify for state pension? 136 2
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 111 4
- BTC vs Digita 969 29
- Seeking a tax case 242 8
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 270 4
- See you all on the other side 219 5
- VATABLE Income 276 3
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 200 2
- Different Filing Dates - Help! 262 7
- What are we calling cloud now? 398 6
- P11D software 90 1
- Write off of loans FROM participators 447 9
- VAT - business splitting 232 3
- Income tax or Capital gains tax? 586 16
- RTI - how to correct HMRC's error 409 7
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 955 16
- Jersey - VAT 123 2
- how to file Late annual Accounts for dormant company ? 298 5
- Flat rate Vat Scheme for a Welder 226 2
- HMRC Joint Filing 521
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 392
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 351
- IRIS and FRS 102 324
- USA help 281
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 244
- Capital gains on rental property 227
- Sage Coretime 214
- Capitalising Finance Lease 210
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 200