Nullifying possible benefits in kind liability
Question from somebody running a small company, but who is not an accountant...
If an employee has a liability to additional income tax arising from the provision of fringe benefits by the company to the employee (e.g. something like the cost of membership of a local health club for example, or private medical insurance), can the employee nullify that liability by repaying the cost of the benefit to the company in full out of their normal taxed income (in the same tax year as the potential liability arises)?
Logic would seem to dictate that if the employee has paid back to the company what it (the Company) paid for the fringe benefit, then the employee has had no benefit, therefore no benefit-in-kind tax for the employee or additional NI liability on the company would arise. Would you agree?
By extension, therefore, there would be nothing for the company to have to declare on a P11D for the employee at the end of the tax year? (PS - the employee is otherwise paid at a basic salary below the rate of £8,500 per annum).
Also, what about VAT? If the cost of the fringe benefit purchased by the company carried VAT, and this has already been claimed back by the company, is what the employee has to pay back to the company to nullify the benefit being a benefit-in-kind taxable liability the cost to the company with or without the VAT it paid and has claimed back?
I would be very pleased if somebody out there could throw some light onto this little conumdrum...
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 854 32
- Use of home deduction 500 15
- Copy Wanted 668 3
- Tax Relief on Bridging Loan 35 1
- Non resident income. 239 12
- Company dividends 393 12
- Self Assessment University Superannuation Scheme 62 1
- 11pm and having a blonde moment 91 2
- Losses B/F and Class 4 NIC 181 2
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 532 21
- Software 333 8
- Tax return filed on time but payment late 401 6
- SA late payment penalty 184 3
- Death of taxpayer - personal allowance 297 8
- No codes in Sage 50 Nominal List? 112 1
- Might income tax be payable on these gifts? 111 2
- How Long does it take to get an Agent ID 122 2
- Private Residence Relief after gift 131 3
- Companies House late filing penalties 2,420 81
- Buy to let property : Is parking bay tax deductible ? 268 5
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 855
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 548
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 514
- Latest phishing scam 406
- Entrepreneurs' relief 375
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 336
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 319
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 302
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 214
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 190