Nullifying possible benefits in kind liability
Question from somebody running a small company, but who is not an accountant...
If an employee has a liability to additional income tax arising from the provision of fringe benefits by the company to the employee (e.g. something like the cost of membership of a local health club for example, or private medical insurance), can the employee nullify that liability by repaying the cost of the benefit to the company in full out of their normal taxed income (in the same tax year as the potential liability arises)?
Logic would seem to dictate that if the employee has paid back to the company what it (the Company) paid for the fringe benefit, then the employee has had no benefit, therefore no benefit-in-kind tax for the employee or additional NI liability on the company would arise. Would you agree?
By extension, therefore, there would be nothing for the company to have to declare on a P11D for the employee at the end of the tax year? (PS - the employee is otherwise paid at a basic salary below the rate of £8,500 per annum).
Also, what about VAT? If the cost of the fringe benefit purchased by the company carried VAT, and this has already been claimed back by the company, is what the employee has to pay back to the company to nullify the benefit being a benefit-in-kind taxable liability the cost to the company with or without the VAT it paid and has claimed back?
I would be very pleased if somebody out there could throw some light onto this little conumdrum...
- Builder using cash labour 93 1
- Easy way to not pay tax 76 2
- VAT on Microsoft Office Accounting Professional 2009 184 1
- Surcharges on very late VAT 210 3
- Should I pass on my HMRC login 428 11
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 267 10
- Using a Business broker to sell a clients Company.....??? 124 2
- Was I rude 809 20
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 311 9
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 217 8
- IRIS Open Books problem 293 1
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 297 7
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 205 6
- Non-compete agreement 186 1
- Expenses claim for non employee 202 1
- Any views 741 1
- IRIS Practice Management 153 2
- Non Registered trader selling to Malta 114 2
- Pre- trading Expenses 109 1
- Dividend payments and shareholdings 183 3
- Skandia using wrong address 1,487
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 825
- International interest certificate 448
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 423
- Sale of business 396
- NOVA 298
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 209
- Bonus Bonds 180
- Management expenses for investment company 177
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 169