Nullifying possible benefits in kind liability
Question from somebody running a small company, but who is not an accountant...
If an employee has a liability to additional income tax arising from the provision of fringe benefits by the company to the employee (e.g. something like the cost of membership of a local health club for example, or private medical insurance), can the employee nullify that liability by repaying the cost of the benefit to the company in full out of their normal taxed income (in the same tax year as the potential liability arises)?
Logic would seem to dictate that if the employee has paid back to the company what it (the Company) paid for the fringe benefit, then the employee has had no benefit, therefore no benefit-in-kind tax for the employee or additional NI liability on the company would arise. Would you agree?
By extension, therefore, there would be nothing for the company to have to declare on a P11D for the employee at the end of the tax year? (PS - the employee is otherwise paid at a basic salary below the rate of £8,500 per annum).
Also, what about VAT? If the cost of the fringe benefit purchased by the company carried VAT, and this has already been claimed back by the company, is what the employee has to pay back to the company to nullify the benefit being a benefit-in-kind taxable liability the cost to the company with or without the VAT it paid and has claimed back?
I would be very pleased if somebody out there could throw some light onto this little conumdrum...
- CIS 23 1
- Would Director's dividends on non-voting C shares risk being classed as "earnings" for NIC purposes? 313 4
- Why Shoebuy Coupon Shopping Made Easy With These Expert Tips? 100 5
- Accountancy packages for FRS 102 128 4
- Penalties for non-filing of EC Sales List 116 2
- where has the honest passion to help gone..??? 1,074 21
- PAYE 50 1
- Any Scottish members out there? 9,662 352
- Lexis Nexis 3 Month Cancellation Notice 69 2
- Mutual trading organisation paying tax for the first time 75 3
- VAT on Pub Kitchen Franchise 93 2
- Sportman claiming for training kit 260 7
- Can anyone recommend a good document scanner? 503 10
- How to cancel a partnership registration for self assessment 91 2
- Complicated freehold purchase and CA 101 1
- Declined for business bank account 788 10
- UTR reallocated by HMRC 263 3
- Vat on Royalites 139 2
- Accounting for share for share 126 6
- About to buy a block of fees. Any advice? 1,420 6
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,201
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 415
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 318
- National Insurance 316
- FRS 102 and loans from a director 269
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 263
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 241
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 237
- Non Resident 231
- Franchise income and costs 214