Nullifying possible benefits in kind liability
Question from somebody running a small company, but who is not an accountant...
If an employee has a liability to additional income tax arising from the provision of fringe benefits by the company to the employee (e.g. something like the cost of membership of a local health club for example, or private medical insurance), can the employee nullify that liability by repaying the cost of the benefit to the company in full out of their normal taxed income (in the same tax year as the potential liability arises)?
Logic would seem to dictate that if the employee has paid back to the company what it (the Company) paid for the fringe benefit, then the employee has had no benefit, therefore no benefit-in-kind tax for the employee or additional NI liability on the company would arise. Would you agree?
By extension, therefore, there would be nothing for the company to have to declare on a P11D for the employee at the end of the tax year? (PS - the employee is otherwise paid at a basic salary below the rate of £8,500 per annum).
Also, what about VAT? If the cost of the fringe benefit purchased by the company carried VAT, and this has already been claimed back by the company, is what the employee has to pay back to the company to nullify the benefit being a benefit-in-kind taxable liability the cost to the company with or without the VAT it paid and has claimed back?
I would be very pleased if somebody out there could throw some light onto this little conumdrum...
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 719 28
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 90 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 376 10
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 292 8
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 191 9
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 92 6
- Help with tax codes on Sage 217 1
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 127 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 231 4
- Accounting for a finance lease 119 4
- SA302's anyone?? 494 16
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,589 41
- Renting for military reasons 142 2
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 1,516 18
- Moneysoft Payroll Windows 8.1 Woes - Help! 1,036 18
- Deed of variation on a will & effect on tax returns 107 2
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 123 1
- do i pay vat when buying a business 502 25
- Auto enrolment for one or two director companies 1,982 30
- Tax status of prizes 319 17
- Skandia using wrong address 1,614
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 894
- International interest certificate 505
- NOVA 366
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 280
- Management expenses for investment company 257
- Bonus Bonds 257
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 169
- tax on apprenticeship income 164
- P11D benefit received by widow 147