Nullifying possible benefits in kind liability
Question from somebody running a small company, but who is not an accountant...
If an employee has a liability to additional income tax arising from the provision of fringe benefits by the company to the employee (e.g. something like the cost of membership of a local health club for example, or private medical insurance), can the employee nullify that liability by repaying the cost of the benefit to the company in full out of their normal taxed income (in the same tax year as the potential liability arises)?
Logic would seem to dictate that if the employee has paid back to the company what it (the Company) paid for the fringe benefit, then the employee has had no benefit, therefore no benefit-in-kind tax for the employee or additional NI liability on the company would arise. Would you agree?
By extension, therefore, there would be nothing for the company to have to declare on a P11D for the employee at the end of the tax year? (PS - the employee is otherwise paid at a basic salary below the rate of £8,500 per annum).
Also, what about VAT? If the cost of the fringe benefit purchased by the company carried VAT, and this has already been claimed back by the company, is what the employee has to pay back to the company to nullify the benefit being a benefit-in-kind taxable liability the cost to the company with or without the VAT it paid and has claimed back?
I would be very pleased if somebody out there could throw some light onto this little conumdrum...
- Gift aid procedure please? 465 5
- Claiming annual pension allowance top up in SATR 182 2
- Leaving the VAT FRS Scheme or trying to stay as long as possible? 232 3
- Xerocon 2016 1,245 35
- Mortgage Reference 564 8
- Rounding errors on CT600 274 7
- Insovent companies 889 19
- New Build 226 1
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,301 48
- BrightPay quirks 256 2
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 819 20
- Website Content 199 1
- Personal Tax 635 12
- Starting band for savings - for 2014/2015 213 1
- USA Tax Query 324 2
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 443 5
- last minute request 664 6
- buying asset and settling vendor's debt 374 6
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 409 7
- Disengagement Help! 1,750 25