Nullifying possible benefits in kind liability
Question from somebody running a small company, but who is not an accountant...
If an employee has a liability to additional income tax arising from the provision of fringe benefits by the company to the employee (e.g. something like the cost of membership of a local health club for example, or private medical insurance), can the employee nullify that liability by repaying the cost of the benefit to the company in full out of their normal taxed income (in the same tax year as the potential liability arises)?
Logic would seem to dictate that if the employee has paid back to the company what it (the Company) paid for the fringe benefit, then the employee has had no benefit, therefore no benefit-in-kind tax for the employee or additional NI liability on the company would arise. Would you agree?
By extension, therefore, there would be nothing for the company to have to declare on a P11D for the employee at the end of the tax year? (PS - the employee is otherwise paid at a basic salary below the rate of £8,500 per annum).
Also, what about VAT? If the cost of the fringe benefit purchased by the company carried VAT, and this has already been claimed back by the company, is what the employee has to pay back to the company to nullify the benefit being a benefit-in-kind taxable liability the cost to the company with or without the VAT it paid and has claimed back?
I would be very pleased if somebody out there could throw some light onto this little conumdrum...
- Legal Advice Needed Bank Account Blocked 58 1
- Peer to Peer lending 47 4
- Clarification over - VAT Box 8 - Flat rate scheme 56 3
- Well well well 144 1
- Dividend payment date 1,812 32
- Use of aliases 682 19
- Any Benefit in Kind when obliged to attend a dinner? 102 1
- Capital Gains Tax 43 2
- Accounting Crew 850 20
- Real names 344 13
- What's the plural? 606 13
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 284 12
- Splitting hairs with a national firm 454 5
- What are options for non CA firm 1,350 17
- No VAT returns submitted since registration 73 1
- Capital allowances 196 4
- Who owns the data 107 1
- Builder - Roll over relief 366 16
- Studying accountant has hit a brick wall - help me! 2,109 19
- Director salary from company limited by guarantee 151 5
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 566
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 425
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 324
- IFA incorporation 299
- Mortgage interest claim on Buy to let hic up 291
- Can the receivers fees be allowed for tax? 280
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 246
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 232
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 220
- Sorry ignore me 203