One man service company and share transfer
I have a successful one man band IT company client. The sole director would have been even more profitable last year if he had not had to spend so much time on administration. He has therefore persuaded his partner to resign from her employment and work for him.
He would like to pay her a small bonus of, say, £6,000, and recompense her for the balance in dividends. He is therefore considering transferring half his shares with a nominal value of £500 to her (he is the sole shareholder).
I am concerned the settlements legislation will mean that all the dividends would be taxed on him. I am, of course, thinking of the Arctic Systems case here. The only solution seems to me that she should pay half the value of the company. If the current year net profits are £100,000, I assume that the value of the transferred shares would be in the region of £50,000 which not only could she not afford to pay, but would involve a CGT liability on him.
If we authorised and issued a different class of share, say, "A" shares to her, would this get round the above problem, or would it involve other problems?
Is there any way round?
- Victor Meldrew morning 993 17
- EC VAT codes in Sage 50 75 1
- LLP - Member leaving 173 6
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 715 21
- Year end 214 3
- tax credits 179 7
- Foreign income for self employed 156 2
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 280 9
- what time is it ? 164 2
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 290 9
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,105 14
- Tax Return Deadlines 233 4
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 592 21
- How would you account for warranty? 170 4
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 409 22
- Sweet Tooth 219 6
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 192 2
- trading or dormant 132 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 149 1
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 580 11
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 891
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 520
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 332
- How to format a stock book 314
- Tax efficient holding company structure 249
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 244
- Investment property company accounts template 227
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 193
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 172
- Charge out rates in London? 153