Online Filing problems - pdf tax returns
Question and partial answer - may be helpful to some readers.
I use HMRC's own online filing software (as agent), as I only file a handful of very simple Self Assessment tax returns.
I had problems because the page where you are supposed to be able to view, save and print a tax return would not generate a pdf file of the return, so I had nothing I could send my client. (The 'black and white' version is no good as it is far too complicated for my clients and doesn't look like a return.) The system would not let me view, print or save anything at all.
I rang the Online Filing helpline and they told me it is a problem with my Internet Explorer settings. To solve it they told me to:
1. In Internet Explorer, go to Tools...Internet Options... Advanced
2. Scroll down the list to the heading 'Security' and tick the box for 'Do not save encrypted pages to disk'. Click OK.
3. Close and re-open Internet Explorer
4. Log onto the online filing system again and you should now be able to view, print and save a pdf file of the return.
HOWEVER this pdf file of the return does not include the 32-digit unique reference that is required to identify the version of the return that you are submitting (it appears on the 'black and white' summary but not on the pdf return). Therefore even if my client signs a copy of the return, in principle I cannot tick the online declaration that will allow me to submit the return.
I rang the Self Assessment helpline to query this and they told me that at present there is no online solution to this. They said I should hand-write the version reference onto the pdf tax return and ask the client to initial next to it (as well as signing the return as normal) and return the form to me. Presumably if sendingn the pdf file by email I can ask them to copy the reference number onto the return themselves, and hope they get it right!
A further problem remains, in that the on-screen page from which the declaration is ticked and the return is submitted still shows the name of the agent ,not the taxpayer, at top right. The Self-Assessment helpline told me that this problem has not yet been solved. However since the return itself is clearly in the name of the taxpayer I suppose this is not really a problem.
So my online filing difficulties seem to be solved or worked around - for now at least!
- Employment Intermediaries 36 2
- How much do you charge for Accountant's Reference? 2,642 30
- Letter saying client is IR35 compliant 401 5
- CGT on selling company shares 217 9
- do i need an online accounting software 165 4
- transfer of invesments from company name to individual 149 3
- Moneysoft Payroll 666 16
- Companies House Search 366 4
- Property gift to sister 291 8
- VAT dergistration confirmation? 100 2
- Has Microsoft taken a huge bite out of Apple 1,684 28
- VAT Triangulation Service UK - UK - EC 166 3
- Who gets the CGT deduction 293 4
- Buying a company for £20,000 from owner how it works? 657 9
- VAT training 405 4
- Mixing up NI numbers under RTI 289 7
- 31st october deadline 410 6
- RTI Late Registration query 160 1
- Treatment of one-off payments to non-employees 276 2
- Payroll software 214 1
- NHS finance professionals 719
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 431
- Foreign Pension Contribution 407
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 390
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 388
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 346
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 308
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 292
- Incorporating doctors 234
- IFA income recognition & reporting 230