. . . Or are you just pleased to see me?
Mae West might have raised an eyebrow had she been approached by 68 year old property salesmen John Maurice on his way to board a ferry at Dover. But he wouldn't be just pleased to see her; he had 63,000 euros stuffed down his underpants.
One of Revenue & Customs' trained sniffer dogs did show an interest in the well endowed pensioner and he was stopped and questioned.
The fat lady sang for Mr Maurice at Canterbury Crown Court when he pleaded guilty to laundering more than his underwear (not just once - the prosecution identified £3.8 million exchanged into euros and taken to Europe in 179 separate trips) and he was jailed for four years.
(Other money laundering news in the Accounting Evidence Ltd NewsAlert).
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 17 1
- is this fraud? 518 11
- first year company tax return for a limited company 1,193 27
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 736 14
- Not a good start no broadband 316 7
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 377 8
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 595 10
- Property initial recognition 123 2
- P11D Dispensation 195 3
- Question regarding gym training 214 3
- CPD 76 1
- Dissolving company to avoid CCJ 401 7
- new software IXBRL and Accounts production? 133 1
- Mortgage to buy property in limited company 167 4
- Directors Subsistence 376 3
- Gong round in Circles with CT600 204 2
- How long are 64-8s taking these days? 426 9
- R&D tax credit claim 168 4
- New company - form a group? 108 1
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 137 3
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 565
- Cancelled 339
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 322
- Cancelled 278
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 241
- Probiz 223
- CIS Deductions 184
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 170
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 167
- Car leasing scheme 158