. . . Or are you just pleased to see me?
Mae West might have raised an eyebrow had she been approached by 68 year old property salesmen John Maurice on his way to board a ferry at Dover. But he wouldn't be just pleased to see her; he had 63,000 euros stuffed down his underpants.
One of Revenue & Customs' trained sniffer dogs did show an interest in the well endowed pensioner and he was stopped and questioned.
The fat lady sang for Mr Maurice at Canterbury Crown Court when he pleaded guilty to laundering more than his underwear (not just once - the prosecution identified £3.8 million exchanged into euros and taken to Europe in 179 separate trips) and he was jailed for four years.
(Other money laundering news in the Accounting Evidence Ltd NewsAlert).
- Clients have been told I'm working from home 299 8
- Signed accounts for a lender 271 14
- FreeAgent question 284 8
- Mortgage interest 45 1
- How many associated companies 68 1
- Corporation Tax Software 239 6
- New Agency rules - who's responsible? 55 1
- Goodie bag 2,448 68
- Practising options 459 6
- Self-employed or Ltd Company or seek employment 411 10
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 543 5
- Software recommendations? 379 5
- can I approach clients ? 689 10
- Latest scam e-mails 145 1
- BrightPay 951 27
- Budget 2015 predictions 607 14
- Regular Director bonus 197 3
- Have the new quarterly employer returns been finalised and where do you get them? 204 1
- accounting in estate agents 106 1
- Network marketing client - how does it work? 362 7
- Possible Partnership? 670
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 528
- New Fangled Penalties 460
- Fuming! 447
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 327
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 266
- Outsource Data Entry 247
- Moving away from CCH software 246
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 243
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 190