. . . Or are you just pleased to see me?
Mae West might have raised an eyebrow had she been approached by 68 year old property salesmen John Maurice on his way to board a ferry at Dover. But he wouldn't be just pleased to see her; he had 63,000 euros stuffed down his underpants.
One of Revenue & Customs' trained sniffer dogs did show an interest in the well endowed pensioner and he was stopped and questioned.
The fat lady sang for Mr Maurice at Canterbury Crown Court when he pleaded guilty to laundering more than his underwear (not just once - the prosecution identified £3.8 million exchanged into euros and taken to Europe in 179 separate trips) and he was jailed for four years.
(Other money laundering news in the Accounting Evidence Ltd NewsAlert).
- Mileage claim 94 1
- VAT on converted property having opted to tax 218 9
- Property expense - legal fees 118 3
- Research expenses for authors 260 6
- Difference of Sales Invoices and Bank receipts for Sales 307 7
- Auto-Enrolment 3,508 169
- Proof of Delivery 140 2
- Investor exit 70 1
- Partially exempt? 64 1
- Tax question about small group and how to set up 120 3
- Place of Supply or these two contracts walk into a German Bar 238 4
- OBK 218 5
- Accounting for a VAT Group 115 3
- Xero (another cloud system) and your year end accounts file 117 2
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,693 25
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 385 4
- Any Scottish members out there? 15,743 588
- Rental Income Tax Planning 112 2
- What type of Trust? 95 1
- Dormant Company 134 2
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 507
- Skandia using wrong address 457
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 266
- Employee rewards 245
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 245
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 212
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 203
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 196
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 186
- Etax Australian 156