. . . Or are you just pleased to see me?
Mae West might have raised an eyebrow had she been approached by 68 year old property salesmen John Maurice on his way to board a ferry at Dover. But he wouldn't be just pleased to see her; he had 63,000 euros stuffed down his underpants.
One of Revenue & Customs' trained sniffer dogs did show an interest in the well endowed pensioner and he was stopped and questioned.
The fat lady sang for Mr Maurice at Canterbury Crown Court when he pleaded guilty to laundering more than his underwear (not just once - the prosecution identified £3.8 million exchanged into euros and taken to Europe in 179 separate trips) and he was jailed for four years.
(Other money laundering news in the Accounting Evidence Ltd NewsAlert).
- Commission on holiday accrual 60 1
- error on companies house accounts 107 4
- Newly Started Practice 173 5
- Practice Company Secretarial Software recommendations please 155 2
- Sole trader startup losses and PAYE income in same year 181 4
- HMRC computer behind the times 187 3
- problems getting through to the ACCA technical helpline 82 2
- Benefit in kind calc, s.160 ITEPA 92 1
- Who's going to the next Tick & Bash? 346 6
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 225 6
- Overtime etc for PT employees 167 2
- Generic Notification Notices 123 1
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 445 5
- Anti- Money Laundering - CIMA Practising Certification Application 113 1
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 435 5
- RTI lost some data on laptop packing up!! 91 1
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 243 4
- Does This Company Need To File A Tax Return 144 1
- fraud 416 1
- Optimum salary for directors appointed part way through the year 240 3
- QROP pension input amounts 475
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 439
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 416
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 266
- EPS and CIS deductions 260
- Construction CIS LLP Company 246
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 213
- SAGE winforecast 179
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 173
- Managing deliberate defaulters hmrc 166