. . . Or are you just pleased to see me?
Mae West might have raised an eyebrow had she been approached by 68 year old property salesmen John Maurice on his way to board a ferry at Dover. But he wouldn't be just pleased to see her; he had 63,000 euros stuffed down his underpants.
One of Revenue & Customs' trained sniffer dogs did show an interest in the well endowed pensioner and he was stopped and questioned.
The fat lady sang for Mr Maurice at Canterbury Crown Court when he pleaded guilty to laundering more than his underwear (not just once - the prosecution identified £3.8 million exchanged into euros and taken to Europe in 179 separate trips) and he was jailed for four years.
(Other money laundering news in the Accounting Evidence Ltd NewsAlert).
- Audit Required 1,159 22
- HMRC to sell our tax data to private companies 275 9
- Residential Management Companies 45 2
- Value pricing 2,827 37
- Problems with CT600 filing 372 5
- Flat rate scheme - which rate to use? 357 11
- Can you declare dividends and not withdraw them 818 34
- Payroll software for Mac 105 1
- Online / Cloud Data Back Up 82 2
- Excel problem - pivot tables and multiple data sources 207 5
- CIS and Close Company 190 6
- LLP members share of profits 621 32
- Late P800 demand shows later year? 419 20
- Electronically supplied services - B2B 130 4
- Employment support allowance and self employed 85 1
- Registered Office 82 2
- Winding up a beneficiary will trust 102 1
- Brain freeze - loss on disposal of company car 286 7
- VAT Box 7 and supplies from unregistered traders 534 17
- 64-8 on paper or online? 103 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 932
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 658
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 385
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 329
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 253
- Paye procedures for CVA 242
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 238
- Expenses Re-imbursed on the VAT Flat Rate Scheme 185
- Compliance Checks - Time limits 181
- Pension Fixed Protection 179