. . . Or are you just pleased to see me?
Mae West might have raised an eyebrow had she been approached by 68 year old property salesmen John Maurice on his way to board a ferry at Dover. But he wouldn't be just pleased to see her; he had 63,000 euros stuffed down his underpants.
One of Revenue & Customs' trained sniffer dogs did show an interest in the well endowed pensioner and he was stopped and questioned.
The fat lady sang for Mr Maurice at Canterbury Crown Court when he pleaded guilty to laundering more than his underwear (not just once - the prosecution identified £3.8 million exchanged into euros and taken to Europe in 179 separate trips) and he was jailed for four years.
(Other money laundering news in the Accounting Evidence Ltd NewsAlert).
- Auto Enrolment - Help each other by sharing known problems 396 4
- Rental holiday in lieu of repairs 313 4
- CisVerification as an agent 169 2
- Deduction for Flat Rate Scheme VAT 256 2
- Bookkeeping question for Finance Lease payments 353 6
- Mixture of online and offline SA returns 318 6
- Viewing folder contens en masse 394 9
- Transmission of ISA 251 3
- Is the CT61 return dead? 408 5
- backpack 400 4
- CIS 360 9
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 696 16
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,333 18
- Vat on construction of residential property 1,187 14
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 491 6
- VAT - Medical Staff 186 2
- Really?! 920 10
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,419 26
- VAT 701/49 query 251 2
- Sage Line 50 Data conversion 227 3
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 713
- 2015 tax year end 445
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 422
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 361
- Costly Accounting Software contract 324
- Directors' advances and credits 264
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 257
- DTA tie-breaker issue 239
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 226
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 204