. . . Or are you just pleased to see me?
Mae West might have raised an eyebrow had she been approached by 68 year old property salesmen John Maurice on his way to board a ferry at Dover. But he wouldn't be just pleased to see her; he had 63,000 euros stuffed down his underpants.
One of Revenue & Customs' trained sniffer dogs did show an interest in the well endowed pensioner and he was stopped and questioned.
The fat lady sang for Mr Maurice at Canterbury Crown Court when he pleaded guilty to laundering more than his underwear (not just once - the prosecution identified £3.8 million exchanged into euros and taken to Europe in 179 separate trips) and he was jailed for four years.
(Other money laundering news in the Accounting Evidence Ltd NewsAlert).
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 490 18
- Business only use of company car 290 11
- Web site and client access area advice 197 1
- Car or Van 370 9
- AIA for private hire cars, self-employed licensed private hire vehicle / driver 91 4
- Dividend Tax Petition 361 5
- Buying a business premises in a pension 215 3
- Unilateral Relief - How to calculate UK tax paid 185 2
- Tax efficient vehicle 485 9
- Going through security 284 5
- Sage VAT return reports difference post reconciliation 234 1
- Bank reconciliation 281 8
- Practice software 679 14
- Financial Forecasting software recommendations please 344 3
- Sage Accounts in a mess 303 5
- Buy to let investors and the budget changes. 197 2
- As I was saying, Its VAT question day 270 7
- Goodwill on incorporation 509 17
- Paying PAYE by Direct Debit 362 10
- Mortgage Interest - Tax Deductible 247 2
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 247
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 225
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 212
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 200
- Expenses Software 180
- VAT FRS percentage for sales person? 170
- Any thoughts on Capium? 169
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 164
- CTA Material 164
- Car Capital Contribution 146