. . . Or are you just pleased to see me?
Mae West might have raised an eyebrow had she been approached by 68 year old property salesmen John Maurice on his way to board a ferry at Dover. But he wouldn't be just pleased to see her; he had 63,000 euros stuffed down his underpants.
One of Revenue & Customs' trained sniffer dogs did show an interest in the well endowed pensioner and he was stopped and questioned.
The fat lady sang for Mr Maurice at Canterbury Crown Court when he pleaded guilty to laundering more than his underwear (not just once - the prosecution identified £3.8 million exchanged into euros and taken to Europe in 179 separate trips) and he was jailed for four years.
(Other money laundering news in the Accounting Evidence Ltd NewsAlert).
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 2,389 21
- Expenses Apps 253 5
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 2,669 25
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 524 10
- Errors in prior year accounts 862 23
- What is going on with VAT applications?? 1,990 39
- VAT & capitalising 140 3
- Final year's accounts 172 1
- Do I Need A Balance Sheet? 330 5
- Self Assessment Tax Return Penalties 315 5
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 319 7
- Filing FPS early with moneysoft 269 15
- Have we a distribution when we reduced our capital but it hadn't been registered? & tax implications in winding up 156 2
- What are options for non CA firm 1,990 36
- Invoice Help 262 7
- Summer evenings and ponderings of capital allowances 195 3
- Employee overpaid who has left 263 4
- Limited Company keeping receipts 251 3
- Sorry ignore me 923 24
- Donaldson v HMRC case being heard tomorrow! 602 5
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 626
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 534
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 298
- Cancelled 285
- Cancelled 246
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 195
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 192
- Probiz 180
- Married woman dies owning marital home 171
- What's the market like for temps? 168