. . . Or are you just pleased to see me?
Mae West might have raised an eyebrow had she been approached by 68 year old property salesmen John Maurice on his way to board a ferry at Dover. But he wouldn't be just pleased to see her; he had 63,000 euros stuffed down his underpants.
One of Revenue & Customs' trained sniffer dogs did show an interest in the well endowed pensioner and he was stopped and questioned.
The fat lady sang for Mr Maurice at Canterbury Crown Court when he pleaded guilty to laundering more than his underwear (not just once - the prosecution identified £3.8 million exchanged into euros and taken to Europe in 179 separate trips) and he was jailed for four years.
(Other money laundering news in the Accounting Evidence Ltd NewsAlert).
- PPR relief - deemed residence? 217 6
- Hello 192 1
- flat rate scheme 1,457 33
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,730 51
- Inputting previous months data into PAYE tools 168 4
- Unpaid share capital 65 1
- 64-8 problems 104 2
- Employer reference not recognised? 111 2
- Business trips - director and family 214 2
- Non-UK resident - where to pay income tax? 427 10
- Allocation of income from property 446 12
- Networking 686 6
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 782 10
- VAT refund for DIY house builders 121 1
- Unqualified accountants filing SATR, VAT returns etc for clients 1,073 22
- bookkeeping system 362 5
- Outstanding Loans 125 1
- HELP...historic SSP query! 221 5
- Company van paid by director 220 2
- Private company division 213 2