. . . Or are you just pleased to see me?
Mae West might have raised an eyebrow had she been approached by 68 year old property salesmen John Maurice on his way to board a ferry at Dover. But he wouldn't be just pleased to see her; he had 63,000 euros stuffed down his underpants.
One of Revenue & Customs' trained sniffer dogs did show an interest in the well endowed pensioner and he was stopped and questioned.
The fat lady sang for Mr Maurice at Canterbury Crown Court when he pleaded guilty to laundering more than his underwear (not just once - the prosecution identified £3.8 million exchanged into euros and taken to Europe in 179 separate trips) and he was jailed for four years.
(Other money laundering news in the Accounting Evidence Ltd NewsAlert).
- Dividends out of profit where P&L bfwd is in deficit 67 4
- SA316s 243 4
- Director with lots of personal expenses 55 2
- Taxi Plate & Car 168 4
- Does a UK LTD pay Corporation Tax before sending dividend to Holding Company? 89 2
- LEL and PAYE registration 125 2
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 957 46
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 592 13
- Filing amended tax return 119 1
- Tier One Tribunal 209 11
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 828 26
- Prompt Payment Discount (PPD) Vat 2015 - CREDIT PRIOR INVOICE 122 1
- Pooled cars legislation unfairly punitive 127 2
- New starter not showing on RTI FPS submission (MoneySoft payroll) 259 5
- Working in Iraq, how to treat the income 161 2
- Another transfer of property 153 2
- VAT on non-denominated postage 226 7
- Employmnet Allowance 2015/2016 205 2
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 201 1
- Tax relief for networking day out? 567 14
- Construction CIS LLP Company 613
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 598
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 389
- Pensions Regulator 358
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 296
- Using the correct forms 271
- RTI - duplicate employee record 266
- SA penalty proposals 259
- Accelerated payment notices 240
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 236