. . . Or are you just pleased to see me?
Mae West might have raised an eyebrow had she been approached by 68 year old property salesmen John Maurice on his way to board a ferry at Dover. But he wouldn't be just pleased to see her; he had 63,000 euros stuffed down his underpants.
One of Revenue & Customs' trained sniffer dogs did show an interest in the well endowed pensioner and he was stopped and questioned.
The fat lady sang for Mr Maurice at Canterbury Crown Court when he pleaded guilty to laundering more than his underwear (not just once - the prosecution identified £3.8 million exchanged into euros and taken to Europe in 179 separate trips) and he was jailed for four years.
(Other money laundering news in the Accounting Evidence Ltd NewsAlert).
- Director self assessment 83 6
- Donaldson v HMRC - result?? 380 6
- Supply to Irish State Body 231 3
- Have I made a mistake... 510 4
- Wear & Tear Allowances 336 8
- Which address 104 6
- Directors and unemployment benefit 120 9
- Tax relief for Director incurring business expenses on his credit card 241 3
- How to tell HMRC Limited Co. is active 283 6
- What should the partnership dissolution look like, and what is accounting treatment for goodwill? 54 3
- That old chestnut 446 8
- Loss on cessation of sole trade 155 2
- Free Agent - Payments on Account 362 8
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 238 5
- MAAT vs ACCA 2,003 36
- And they want HMRC to take money from bank accounts! 829 17
- Helping clients with bookkeeping but not a bookkeeper 780 19
- Letter from HMRC telling me client passed away 1,468 20
- PAYE Refund Farce At HMRC 364 3
- Non controlling shares - how to set up 262 9
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 408
- CTA study material 363
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 273
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 253
- new capital structure ltd with investors 205
- Pre incorp expenses 202
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 201
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 182
- Slight twist on employment related securities 174
- Accommodation provided to employees for short term contract away from home 159