. . . Or are you just pleased to see me?
Mae West might have raised an eyebrow had she been approached by 68 year old property salesmen John Maurice on his way to board a ferry at Dover. But he wouldn't be just pleased to see her; he had 63,000 euros stuffed down his underpants.
One of Revenue & Customs' trained sniffer dogs did show an interest in the well endowed pensioner and he was stopped and questioned.
The fat lady sang for Mr Maurice at Canterbury Crown Court when he pleaded guilty to laundering more than his underwear (not just once - the prosecution identified £3.8 million exchanged into euros and taken to Europe in 179 separate trips) and he was jailed for four years.
(Other money laundering news in the Accounting Evidence Ltd NewsAlert).
- Error or mistake claims (as was) 88 1
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 797 17
- Partnership profit share - tax efficient for husband and wife 156 3
- Property scam victim 315 5
- Capital Gains on Inherited Property 255 9
- Has anyone been told of the extra Sage Payroll fees for auto enrolment? 239 6
- How to use importing procedure for Transfers between the bank accounts 51 1
- Have i messed up? 746 11
- VAT on garage rent 127 8
- Are HMRC getting it right? 423 8
- 10 year debentures and CT 52 1
- Is there a legal obligation for the Inspector to hand over minutes of a meeting 100 2
- Tasks for new trainees 147 3
- Obvious Question but if NOT registered for VAT EU refunds as under minimum amounts, what does an expense get recorded as for UK VAT return? 69 1
- COMPANY DIRECTOR 69 1
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 563 15
- Offshore insurance bonds 105 2
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,647 46
- Tax Returns, 2011-2012 259 6
- Aggressive HMRC 1,811 19
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,092
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 575
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 383
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 288
- Charge out rates in London? 242
- Interest on Loan to a Company 189
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 174
- Agent fees to sell business 163
- Alphabet shares 160
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 154