Out of date cheques
A client recently contacted me to tell me that their bank had cashed a cheque that was over 2 years old. On questioning this they were told that the bank no longer applies the 6 month cut off on cheques.
We checked the legislation that states that cheques are actually valid for 6 years, although banking practice has been to refuse them after 6 months.
We have always written off old cheques for clients when doing their accounts, but it would now seem that we should be keeping them in the accounts for 6 years.
This could have implications for our audits particularly, as theoretically could we be overstating bank balances and should look back over 6 years to identify any written off amounts?
Also, at what point should we reallocate these amounts to creditors rather then outstanding cheques?
Any help or advice would be appreciated.
- Buy to let and capitak gain 174 5
- are receipts needed? 627 17
- SA302's anyone?? 611 18
- Charge for use of credit card - permitted 329 8
- High value residential property - SDLT 15% 117 1
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 348 12
- Cash in Hand 134 2
- Busines software 158 5
- Goods Purchased for Rental 194 6
- Converting a barn for business use 185 2
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 310 4
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 315 12
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 482 10
- Going to need a tax, insolvency and legal specialist I think 316 3
- Bookkeping software 729 7
- Clogged Losses 282 5
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 274 9
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 658 10
- New Built in oven - allowable as repair? 274 4
- Accounting for Bank Loyalty Rewards? 129 1
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 910
- International interest certificate 522
- NOVA 372
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 324
- Management expenses for investment company 275
- Bonus Bonds 269
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 184
- P11D benefit received by widow 163
- EXACT ONLINE 158
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 158