Out of date cheques
A client recently contacted me to tell me that their bank had cashed a cheque that was over 2 years old. On questioning this they were told that the bank no longer applies the 6 month cut off on cheques.
We checked the legislation that states that cheques are actually valid for 6 years, although banking practice has been to refuse them after 6 months.
We have always written off old cheques for clients when doing their accounts, but it would now seem that we should be keeping them in the accounts for 6 years.
This could have implications for our audits particularly, as theoretically could we be overstating bank balances and should look back over 6 years to identify any written off amounts?
Also, at what point should we reallocate these amounts to creditors rather then outstanding cheques?
Any help or advice would be appreciated.
- Director's current account - fuel costs and expenses 295 11
- Starting up in practice - safety net 90 3
- How to avoid PAYE Registeration 186 4
- Rental property company 97 1
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 274 7
- Payroo Employer allowance query 248 8
- Enforcing A CCJ 377 7
- RTI 'Late Filing' & paying employees in arrears 142 1
- Reporting no P11d due when PAYE scheme closed by HMRC 5Apr2013 184 2
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 310 5
- Comapny valuation qualifications 143 2
- Ex Client from over 3 years ago 480 5
- Director's tax return 394 8
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 180 3
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,126 34
- Flat rate vat 229 2
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 192 5
- Coming in from the cold 384 3
- Splitting the tax year 188 2
- P11d & Medical Ins 224 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 815
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 566
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 433
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 313
- Free Tax Legislation? 289
- Director Loan account operation 266
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 256
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 254
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 234
- Paye procedures for CVA 174