Out of date cheques
A client recently contacted me to tell me that their bank had cashed a cheque that was over 2 years old. On questioning this they were told that the bank no longer applies the 6 month cut off on cheques.
We checked the legislation that states that cheques are actually valid for 6 years, although banking practice has been to refuse them after 6 months.
We have always written off old cheques for clients when doing their accounts, but it would now seem that we should be keeping them in the accounts for 6 years.
This could have implications for our audits particularly, as theoretically could we be overstating bank balances and should look back over 6 years to identify any written off amounts?
Also, at what point should we reallocate these amounts to creditors rather then outstanding cheques?
Any help or advice would be appreciated.
- Business only use of company car 227 6
- Dividend Tax Petition 314 4
- Buying a business premises in a pension 188 3
- Unilateral Relief - How to calculate UK tax paid 175 2
- Tax efficient vehicle 474 9
- Going through security 260 5
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 463 17
- Sage VAT return reports difference post reconciliation 227 1
- Bank reconciliation 267 8
- Practice software 663 14
- Financial Forecasting software recommendations please 337 3
- Sage Accounts in a mess 278 5
- Buy to let investors and the budget changes. 166 2
- As I was saying, Its VAT question day 250 7
- Goodwill on incorporation 506 17
- Paying PAYE by Direct Debit 356 10
- Mortgage Interest - Tax Deductible 211 2
- Retail business software/accounting system 139 2
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 206 9
- Certificate of Tax Deposit and APN's 117 1
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 244
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 225
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 212
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 200
- Web site and client access area advice 183
- Expenses Software 180
- VAT FRS percentage for sales person? 170
- Any thoughts on Capium? 165
- CTA Material 163
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 161