Out of date cheques
A client recently contacted me to tell me that their bank had cashed a cheque that was over 2 years old. On questioning this they were told that the bank no longer applies the 6 month cut off on cheques.
We checked the legislation that states that cheques are actually valid for 6 years, although banking practice has been to refuse them after 6 months.
We have always written off old cheques for clients when doing their accounts, but it would now seem that we should be keeping them in the accounts for 6 years.
This could have implications for our audits particularly, as theoretically could we be overstating bank balances and should look back over 6 years to identify any written off amounts?
Also, at what point should we reallocate these amounts to creditors rather then outstanding cheques?
Any help or advice would be appreciated.
- Amending 13-14 sole trader return to reflect increased profit in 14-15 294 5
- Software Sales 62 1
- minority interest discount 120 1
- Has Microsoft taken a huge bite out of Apple 245 2
- Allowable for Corporation Tax? 317 8
- vat gross margins 118 1
- Winning clients from retiring accountant - ethics/morals 1,559 13
- A rant - Debt Management units vs PAYE office response times 140 1
- Seeking advice: Need some help with Company Accounts 531 8
- How do I know if I have to apply a reverse charge mechanism 181 4
- On to a loser here? 1,134 4
- Client right to working papers 1,349 9
- 2020 Annual Conference 140 1
- Microsoft One Drive 440 14
- Thinning income 378 4
- Bank Statement Scanning Software? 164 2
- Work to Rented Business Premises 208 1
- Not a question but made my day 1,192 23
- Directors, service companies and national minimum wage (NMW) - Profit extraction 400 11
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 1,168 24
- NHS finance professionals 599
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 391
- Foreign Pension Contribution 363
- vat gross profit percentage margins 336
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 327
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 307
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 275
- Quickbooks online filing of VAT 243
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 236
- IFA income recognition & reporting 201