Out of date cheques
A client recently contacted me to tell me that their bank had cashed a cheque that was over 2 years old. On questioning this they were told that the bank no longer applies the 6 month cut off on cheques.
We checked the legislation that states that cheques are actually valid for 6 years, although banking practice has been to refuse them after 6 months.
We have always written off old cheques for clients when doing their accounts, but it would now seem that we should be keeping them in the accounts for 6 years.
This could have implications for our audits particularly, as theoretically could we be overstating bank balances and should look back over 6 years to identify any written off amounts?
Also, at what point should we reallocate these amounts to creditors rather then outstanding cheques?
Any help or advice would be appreciated.
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 44 1
- Sole Trader business 139 1
- Transfer of sole trade to ltd co 140 1
- How will the taxation of non-residents landlord work? 136 1
- The Cotter Case 155 1
- Giving a seminar 673 36
- Tax position on lease extension 172 1
- Boffin of the Year 281 10
- deleting customers on Sage 50 213 8
- Using Director's bank account to receive payment from customer 230 4
- Sage Depreciation 71 1
- Non sequitur 239 2
- Am i Liable? 864 21
- Sale of business being paid by deferred payments by buyer 166 1
- tax relief for the cost of trade marks 153 1
- Interest on main residence mortgage then lent to a company 69 1
- Has anyone been told of the extra Sage Payroll fees for auto enrolment? 469 10
- HMRC Accounts Office - waiting an hour! 102 1
- Very Difficult to type on Aweb again 110 2
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 924 15
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,291
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 637
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 420
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 330
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 258
- Alphabet shares 218
- Agent fees to sell business 211
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 205
- Office recharges 168
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 145