Out of date cheques
A client recently contacted me to tell me that their bank had cashed a cheque that was over 2 years old. On questioning this they were told that the bank no longer applies the 6 month cut off on cheques.
We checked the legislation that states that cheques are actually valid for 6 years, although banking practice has been to refuse them after 6 months.
We have always written off old cheques for clients when doing their accounts, but it would now seem that we should be keeping them in the accounts for 6 years.
This could have implications for our audits particularly, as theoretically could we be overstating bank balances and should look back over 6 years to identify any written off amounts?
Also, at what point should we reallocate these amounts to creditors rather then outstanding cheques?
Any help or advice would be appreciated.
- Taking over from an on-line accounting firm. Any ideas? 937 18
- Charging VAT on a company loan ?. 84 2
- Accountants website 359 5
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 214 2
- What do you all do in your spare time? 672 29
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 161 5
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 446 8
- VAT on employee loan 273 4
- Threshold company limited by guarantee. 77 1
- Retrospective VAT Claim 107 1
- New client has not reported director's pay by RTI 352 9
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,404 20
- SAGE 50 PAYROLL YEAR END 216 5
- Can software startup claim VAT refund during development? 166 6
- Tax implications on building an 'office' 215 2
- VT Final Accounts puts "Cost of Sales - Carriage" and "Cost of Sales - Other Costs" into "Other Costs". Is that compulsory? It seems mad. 197 3
- Auto Enrolment, Payroll, Small Client Advice and what to charge? 714 18
- Partial PPR relief to non-resident after 05 Apr 2015 149 1
- Accounting Package for Projects 91 2
- Purchased Goodwill 151 1
- New Fangled Penalties 1,080
- Moving away from CCH software 934
- QROP pension input amounts 426
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 371
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 343
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 310
- fraud 268
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 238
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 212
- Construction CIS LLP Company 190