Out of date cheques
A client recently contacted me to tell me that their bank had cashed a cheque that was over 2 years old. On questioning this they were told that the bank no longer applies the 6 month cut off on cheques.
We checked the legislation that states that cheques are actually valid for 6 years, although banking practice has been to refuse them after 6 months.
We have always written off old cheques for clients when doing their accounts, but it would now seem that we should be keeping them in the accounts for 6 years.
This could have implications for our audits particularly, as theoretically could we be overstating bank balances and should look back over 6 years to identify any written off amounts?
Also, at what point should we reallocate these amounts to creditors rather then outstanding cheques?
Any help or advice would be appreciated.
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,971 45
- Love is in the air 200 3
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,667 20
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 239 8
- Allegedly ICAS most of us at 50 should pack up - Interesting 367 8
- Reimbursing director travel costs 393 5
- Client Paperwork Retention? 492 11
- Sage 50 VAT Return 148 2
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 516 1
- Paying Son 641 18
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 342 7
- HMRC accounting 278 3
- Employers NI allowance 453 6
- Dividend taxation 278 3
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 188 1
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 184 2
- Tax Overlap Reporting 171 3
- Buy to Let Property! Shell I buy or not? 450 4
- iris update 11.9.2 453 7
- HMRC Discovery powers 286 3
- DTA tie-breaker issue 295
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 275
- CGT for NOn UK residents 273
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 262
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 245
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 234
- Apprenticeship Levy 231
- Capital Gains personal representatives 215
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 209
- Mandating Rental income or dividend income to a company 187