Out of date cheques
A client recently contacted me to tell me that their bank had cashed a cheque that was over 2 years old. On questioning this they were told that the bank no longer applies the 6 month cut off on cheques.
We checked the legislation that states that cheques are actually valid for 6 years, although banking practice has been to refuse them after 6 months.
We have always written off old cheques for clients when doing their accounts, but it would now seem that we should be keeping them in the accounts for 6 years.
This could have implications for our audits particularly, as theoretically could we be overstating bank balances and should look back over 6 years to identify any written off amounts?
Also, at what point should we reallocate these amounts to creditors rather then outstanding cheques?
Any help or advice would be appreciated.
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 106 6
- Managing Employee Expenses 112 5
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 591 11
- Credit card receipts vs VAT receipts 2,058 26
- Charity work 116 6
- Company Director In Prison 195 5
- Companies Made Simple Dashboard? 266 3
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 727 22
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 645 21
- MAAT vs ACCA 339 6
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,531 70
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,536 55
- VAT registration? 136 1
- ec sales lists 151 1
- VAT registration to supply services in EU 135 1
- Vat Retrospective Reclaim 146 1
- donations to school via self employed business (registered charity) 104 4
- Small company audit 747 12
- Reasonable excuse for not filing returns....Death? 200 2
- Estate agents - shared commission 128 3
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 662
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 471
- Cancelled 418
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 358
- Cancelled 357
- Probiz 327
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 311
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 240
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 212
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 182