Out of date cheques
A client recently contacted me to tell me that their bank had cashed a cheque that was over 2 years old. On questioning this they were told that the bank no longer applies the 6 month cut off on cheques.
We checked the legislation that states that cheques are actually valid for 6 years, although banking practice has been to refuse them after 6 months.
We have always written off old cheques for clients when doing their accounts, but it would now seem that we should be keeping them in the accounts for 6 years.
This could have implications for our audits particularly, as theoretically could we be overstating bank balances and should look back over 6 years to identify any written off amounts?
Also, at what point should we reallocate these amounts to creditors rather then outstanding cheques?
Any help or advice would be appreciated.
- ACCA practice certificates 44 1
- Accounts submitted to a the charities comission 181 3
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 1,080 32
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 158 2
- What would you do in this situation? 680 14
- Dress code 502 13
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 517 16
- Project being run jointly 212 3
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 318 4
- Companies House 615 9
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 373 11
- Where to start to get any of jobs in Finance and Accounting Industry 738 9
- How much did you pay for your website 1,451 25
- Help Required 431 10
- directors control and tax problems 321 5
- Fastest Software 812 13
- What's in a name ? 413 5
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 328 4
- Bulk Invoicing 198 6
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 196 3
- CTA study material 717
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 441
- Employment related securities question 276
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax consultancy 2014 264
- AIM Stocks and IHT 254
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 234
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 219
- Expat pension contributions? 206
- Trust for Employee 205
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 185