Out of date cheques
A client recently contacted me to tell me that their bank had cashed a cheque that was over 2 years old. On questioning this they were told that the bank no longer applies the 6 month cut off on cheques.
We checked the legislation that states that cheques are actually valid for 6 years, although banking practice has been to refuse them after 6 months.
We have always written off old cheques for clients when doing their accounts, but it would now seem that we should be keeping them in the accounts for 6 years.
This could have implications for our audits particularly, as theoretically could we be overstating bank balances and should look back over 6 years to identify any written off amounts?
Also, at what point should we reallocate these amounts to creditors rather then outstanding cheques?
Any help or advice would be appreciated.
- Bookkeeping - Relevant Qualifications? 386 5
- Scissors 709 23
- Mobile phone costs during maternity leave for OMB 230 8
- working from home 1,646 29
- DIRECTOR LOAN ACCOUNT AND BALANCE 83 2
- Car leasing 176 3
- VAT underpayments and financial reporting 150 2
- VAT & Offshore Companies 152 7
- Childcare 310 5
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,049 30
- tax saving on card points 121 2
- Post Budget Disincorporations 1,719 12
- HMRC site down ? 341 6
- Rent A Room 295 8
- Xero Pain Points 435 16
- "cycle to work" and self-employment benefit? 218 7
- VAT - How hard is it? 539 16
- 2014/15 Tax calculation spread sheet 737 9
- RBS advising client they don't want his business 1,814 11
- Tax treatment of gift of expensive watch 368 9
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 365
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 311
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 295
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 287
- Electric Car 239
- S222 Charge 214
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 206
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 197
- Company Structure 186
- VAT and customer entertaining 170