On 05/02/01 I asked a question about a new client that often travels large distances to do his job and sleeps in his vehicle 4-6 times a month. In previous accounts there are large sums for travel & subsistence, which I queried with the client as there was no expenditure records. I received the reply that he "booked nights out like a lorry driver and slept in the cab". He has records to establish when he was away overnight.
My query was, is there an accepted amount that could be claimed in a Sch D case.
The relevant ref seems to be Tax Bulletin 8 that clarified the position with regard to long distance self-employed lorry drivers, and then went on to state "We have been asked whether this treament can be extended to such drivers who spend the night in their cabs rather than take overnight accommodation. We have confirmed that it can."
It then goes on to state: "It should be emphasised that it is only 'reasonable' expenses which may be allowed and the expenses claimed must be supported by adequate contemporaneous records"
The Inspector's Manual is no clearer on the issue as it merely reiterates the Tax Bulletin.
This raises the following questions:
1. what constitutes reasonable.
2. what is meant by contemporaneous - is this receipts for actual expenditure or evidence that the person was away that night.
So is it possible to just claim for a reasonable amount (irrespective of what is actually paid, as they may have taken a supply of sandwiches) or is actual expenditure necessary and then the test of reasonableness applied (ie: greasy spoon - reasonable, Savoy Grill - unreasonable)
- Cash in Hand 18 1
- Buy to let and capitak gain 120 4
- Busines software 105 5
- Goods Purchased for Rental 171 6
- Converting a barn for business use 178 2
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 298 4
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 301 12
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 460 10
- are receipts needed? 595 16
- Going to need a tax, insolvency and legal specialist I think 272 3
- Bookkeping software 709 7
- Clogged Losses 277 5
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 256 9
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 649 10
- Charge for use of credit card - permitted 308 7
- New Built in oven - allowable as repair? 258 4
- Accounting for Bank Loyalty Rewards? 119 1
- General tax book with planning 256 5
- Anybody heard of Geniac, the new De Lorean? 194 3
- tax on apprenticeship income 200 1
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 906
- International interest certificate 519
- NOVA 369
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 317
- Management expenses for investment company 272
- Bonus Bonds 264
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 180
- P11D benefit received by widow 158
- EXACT ONLINE 153
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 150