On 05/02/01 I asked a question about a new client that often travels large distances to do his job and sleeps in his vehicle 4-6 times a month. In previous accounts there are large sums for travel & subsistence, which I queried with the client as there was no expenditure records. I received the reply that he "booked nights out like a lorry driver and slept in the cab". He has records to establish when he was away overnight.
My query was, is there an accepted amount that could be claimed in a Sch D case.
The relevant ref seems to be Tax Bulletin 8 that clarified the position with regard to long distance self-employed lorry drivers, and then went on to state "We have been asked whether this treament can be extended to such drivers who spend the night in their cabs rather than take overnight accommodation. We have confirmed that it can."
It then goes on to state: "It should be emphasised that it is only 'reasonable' expenses which may be allowed and the expenses claimed must be supported by adequate contemporaneous records"
The Inspector's Manual is no clearer on the issue as it merely reiterates the Tax Bulletin.
This raises the following questions:
1. what constitutes reasonable.
2. what is meant by contemporaneous - is this receipts for actual expenditure or evidence that the person was away that night.
So is it possible to just claim for a reasonable amount (irrespective of what is actually paid, as they may have taken a supply of sandwiches) or is actual expenditure necessary and then the test of reasonableness applied (ie: greasy spoon - reasonable, Savoy Grill - unreasonable)
- The stupidity continues 143 3
- Offsetting CT losses against another company 45 3
- Pension contributions 333 10
- Do you use sign up lists on your website 130 1
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 440 9
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 441 10
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 245 6
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 239 8
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 191 1
- Share transfer question 316 16
- If you've had any issues posting: Please read this 545 10
- New Employers Helpline 146 3
- Overlap relief 732 19
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,320 17
- Budget 2015 - take two 204 3
- CIS Contractor has not issued tax deduction certificate to client 197 4
- VAT Query 201 2
- Sacked my first client 687 14
- Accounts note disclosure - Directors 269 4
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,276 24
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 430
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 423
- WIP Software 288
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 284
- No payroll scheme in place 220
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 219
- Software recommendations 205
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 199
- Is there anything wrong with this? 191
- Small Part Disposal of Property 172