On 05/02/01 I asked a question about a new client that often travels large distances to do his job and sleeps in his vehicle 4-6 times a month. In previous accounts there are large sums for travel & subsistence, which I queried with the client as there was no expenditure records. I received the reply that he "booked nights out like a lorry driver and slept in the cab". He has records to establish when he was away overnight.
My query was, is there an accepted amount that could be claimed in a Sch D case.
The relevant ref seems to be Tax Bulletin 8 that clarified the position with regard to long distance self-employed lorry drivers, and then went on to state "We have been asked whether this treament can be extended to such drivers who spend the night in their cabs rather than take overnight accommodation. We have confirmed that it can."
It then goes on to state: "It should be emphasised that it is only 'reasonable' expenses which may be allowed and the expenses claimed must be supported by adequate contemporaneous records"
The Inspector's Manual is no clearer on the issue as it merely reiterates the Tax Bulletin.
This raises the following questions:
1. what constitutes reasonable.
2. what is meant by contemporaneous - is this receipts for actual expenditure or evidence that the person was away that night.
So is it possible to just claim for a reasonable amount (irrespective of what is actually paid, as they may have taken a supply of sandwiches) or is actual expenditure necessary and then the test of reasonableness applied (ie: greasy spoon - reasonable, Savoy Grill - unreasonable)
- Director registration for SA question 325 12
- How to revise RTI for Moneysoft 22 1
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 439 18
- Dormant company late with their CH submission 476 14
- Penalties for late PAYE scheme 269 4
- Issues with freelancer taking zero salary from limited company 119 4
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 896 29
- New Company reviews please 508 13
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 265 4
- Ethical Issues / Conflict of Interest 145 2
- VAT with Russia 179 2
- Business only use of company car 648 25
- valuation of vehicles 350 15
- VAT FRS percentage for sales person? 226 4
- Money Laundering Manual 288 11
- cgt quoted shares losses 230 2
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 1,086 29
- directors loan 316 8
- Holiday pay calculator for client use? 357 4
- CIS not deducted 342 5
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 287
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 237
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 236
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 212
- Any thoughts on Capium? 211
- Expenses Software 190
- auto enrolment 180
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 173
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 148
- How to account for investment in JV? 147