On 05/02/01 I asked a question about a new client that often travels large distances to do his job and sleeps in his vehicle 4-6 times a month. In previous accounts there are large sums for travel & subsistence, which I queried with the client as there was no expenditure records. I received the reply that he "booked nights out like a lorry driver and slept in the cab". He has records to establish when he was away overnight.
My query was, is there an accepted amount that could be claimed in a Sch D case.
The relevant ref seems to be Tax Bulletin 8 that clarified the position with regard to long distance self-employed lorry drivers, and then went on to state "We have been asked whether this treament can be extended to such drivers who spend the night in their cabs rather than take overnight accommodation. We have confirmed that it can."
It then goes on to state: "It should be emphasised that it is only 'reasonable' expenses which may be allowed and the expenses claimed must be supported by adequate contemporaneous records"
The Inspector's Manual is no clearer on the issue as it merely reiterates the Tax Bulletin.
This raises the following questions:
1. what constitutes reasonable.
2. what is meant by contemporaneous - is this receipts for actual expenditure or evidence that the person was away that night.
So is it possible to just claim for a reasonable amount (irrespective of what is actually paid, as they may have taken a supply of sandwiches) or is actual expenditure necessary and then the test of reasonableness applied (ie: greasy spoon - reasonable, Savoy Grill - unreasonable)
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 740 19
- Delayed option to tax 123 2
- Cloud backups – know what you are getting … 373 7
- Redundancy Pay 248 4
- question about merging two companies... 168 1
- Latest repayment email =interesting paragraph 393 3
- CG on Spanish property disposal 207 7
- Entertaining - am I missing something or is my client taking the mickey 332 5
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 61 1
- VAT charged on non-VAT Invoice 259 6
- VAT on services to EC customer 125 2
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 454 11
- Do I need to see receipts ? 547 8
- Share disclosure re- Power of Attorney 60 1
- Stand alone practice management software 1,217 20
- Submit P11D for 2014 2015 with no Paye Scheme in place 183 3
- Summarise excel cashbook by month 253 5
- SA1 forms 304 11
- Are accountants facing a doomsday scenario? 1,041 25
- ACCOUNTING FOR VAT ON EU DISPATCHES AND EXPORTS 149 2
- Sainsbury's mangement 805
- Avanti Accounts 670
- Have I done the right thing? 631
- Continuity Agreement 624
- Calling franchise accountants 624
- Consolidated accounting software (or cloud based) 480
- Sage One Reports - do they add up? 355
- Scammers 311
- Advice please! 220
- Becoming a subcontractor to Accountancy Practices 198