On 05/02/01 I asked a question about a new client that often travels large distances to do his job and sleeps in his vehicle 4-6 times a month. In previous accounts there are large sums for travel & subsistence, which I queried with the client as there was no expenditure records. I received the reply that he "booked nights out like a lorry driver and slept in the cab". He has records to establish when he was away overnight.
My query was, is there an accepted amount that could be claimed in a Sch D case.
The relevant ref seems to be Tax Bulletin 8 that clarified the position with regard to long distance self-employed lorry drivers, and then went on to state "We have been asked whether this treament can be extended to such drivers who spend the night in their cabs rather than take overnight accommodation. We have confirmed that it can."
It then goes on to state: "It should be emphasised that it is only 'reasonable' expenses which may be allowed and the expenses claimed must be supported by adequate contemporaneous records"
The Inspector's Manual is no clearer on the issue as it merely reiterates the Tax Bulletin.
This raises the following questions:
1. what constitutes reasonable.
2. what is meant by contemporaneous - is this receipts for actual expenditure or evidence that the person was away that night.
So is it possible to just claim for a reasonable amount (irrespective of what is actually paid, as they may have taken a supply of sandwiches) or is actual expenditure necessary and then the test of reasonableness applied (ie: greasy spoon - reasonable, Savoy Grill - unreasonable)
- 31 Jan Procrastination Question: Computer Monitors 399 14
- Self assesment online 210 4
- More NI or same 130 1
- Companies House late filing penalties 2,950 95
- Simplified use of home - contradiction 233 4
- Dissolved company with o/s corporation tax 194 5
- Teacher doing marking - tax deducted 436 5
- Repayment of maternity pay 53 1
- maternity allowance for self employed individual 155 1
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 97 6
- Refusing to complete a tax return 321 9
- Year end 88 1
- What sectors to target? 284 10
- Online Payroll with Auto Enrolment 154 2
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 901 31
- IHT and cash gifts 177 4
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 732 32
- Practice management 209 3
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 368 1
- Flat Conversion Allowance 84 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 911
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 623
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 584
- Latest phishing scam 550
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 384
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 287
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 208
- Capital allowances in first basis period 196
- Sabbatical payments 182
- Scratch Head 175