On 05/02/01 I asked a question about a new client that often travels large distances to do his job and sleeps in his vehicle 4-6 times a month. In previous accounts there are large sums for travel & subsistence, which I queried with the client as there was no expenditure records. I received the reply that he "booked nights out like a lorry driver and slept in the cab". He has records to establish when he was away overnight.
My query was, is there an accepted amount that could be claimed in a Sch D case.
The relevant ref seems to be Tax Bulletin 8 that clarified the position with regard to long distance self-employed lorry drivers, and then went on to state "We have been asked whether this treament can be extended to such drivers who spend the night in their cabs rather than take overnight accommodation. We have confirmed that it can."
It then goes on to state: "It should be emphasised that it is only 'reasonable' expenses which may be allowed and the expenses claimed must be supported by adequate contemporaneous records"
The Inspector's Manual is no clearer on the issue as it merely reiterates the Tax Bulletin.
This raises the following questions:
1. what constitutes reasonable.
2. what is meant by contemporaneous - is this receipts for actual expenditure or evidence that the person was away that night.
So is it possible to just claim for a reasonable amount (irrespective of what is actually paid, as they may have taken a supply of sandwiches) or is actual expenditure necessary and then the test of reasonableness applied (ie: greasy spoon - reasonable, Savoy Grill - unreasonable)
- Accountant Error 144 4
- Deferral relief 75 2
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,177 18
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 138 3
- Accountants' Error 303 7
- Subscriptions not on HMRC list of approved bodies 314 3
- Builder Gifted Deposit and capital gains 660 26
- Inventory valuation of precious metals? 111 2
- Entrepreneur's relief and LLPs 77 2
- Companies House Abbreviated Accounts 402 5
- Wear and tear allowance 370 5
- HMRC Enquiry 509 3
- Daily Penalties 2012/13 224 2
- Share swap 109 1
- Cashback 343 2
- another ir35!!!! 233 2
- Settlement, or any other issues? 95 1
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 108 3
- Buying blocks of fees 400 2
- Practical Query: Entrepreneurs and PPR Reliefs 281 3
- Skandia using wrong address 1,433
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 737
- Any views 679
- HMRC Employers Diary 506
- International interest certificate 414
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 377
- Sale of business 333
- NOVA 241
- Advertising services? 231
- IRIS Open Books problem 225