On 05/02/01 I asked a question about a new client that often travels large distances to do his job and sleeps in his vehicle 4-6 times a month. In previous accounts there are large sums for travel & subsistence, which I queried with the client as there was no expenditure records. I received the reply that he "booked nights out like a lorry driver and slept in the cab". He has records to establish when he was away overnight.
My query was, is there an accepted amount that could be claimed in a Sch D case.
The relevant ref seems to be Tax Bulletin 8 that clarified the position with regard to long distance self-employed lorry drivers, and then went on to state "We have been asked whether this treament can be extended to such drivers who spend the night in their cabs rather than take overnight accommodation. We have confirmed that it can."
It then goes on to state: "It should be emphasised that it is only 'reasonable' expenses which may be allowed and the expenses claimed must be supported by adequate contemporaneous records"
The Inspector's Manual is no clearer on the issue as it merely reiterates the Tax Bulletin.
This raises the following questions:
1. what constitutes reasonable.
2. what is meant by contemporaneous - is this receipts for actual expenditure or evidence that the person was away that night.
So is it possible to just claim for a reasonable amount (irrespective of what is actually paid, as they may have taken a supply of sandwiches) or is actual expenditure necessary and then the test of reasonableness applied (ie: greasy spoon - reasonable, Savoy Grill - unreasonable)
- Agent Registration - How Long? 171 1
- Expense management software 655 13
- Is this acceptable advice for limited co 1,004 28
- Cater Allen Commission 28 1
- Unregistered tax driver 191 5
- Does anyone use a cloud based payroll software 749 30
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 582 16
- S455 431 20
- Does anyone know how to deal with crowd funding income 93 2
- EIS Relief 143 1
- Splitting rental income on jointly owned property 153 1
- Gift or Capital Gain? 165 4
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 64 1
- Is practising Certificate needed 201 6
- online book keeping systems - what happens after you stop paying? 408 8
- Which PayPal transactions can I ignore? 245 3
- Is this a scam? 1,411 25
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 226 5
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 163 4
- Wednesday rant 336 1
- Benchmarking 462
- Possible Partnership? 408
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 399
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 380
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 319
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 191
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 175
- Income tax on foreign dividends 166
- Clubs and Taxable Income 163
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 159