On 05/02/01 I asked a question about a new client that often travels large distances to do his job and sleeps in his vehicle 4-6 times a month. In previous accounts there are large sums for travel & subsistence, which I queried with the client as there was no expenditure records. I received the reply that he "booked nights out like a lorry driver and slept in the cab". He has records to establish when he was away overnight.
My query was, is there an accepted amount that could be claimed in a Sch D case.
The relevant ref seems to be Tax Bulletin 8 that clarified the position with regard to long distance self-employed lorry drivers, and then went on to state "We have been asked whether this treament can be extended to such drivers who spend the night in their cabs rather than take overnight accommodation. We have confirmed that it can."
It then goes on to state: "It should be emphasised that it is only 'reasonable' expenses which may be allowed and the expenses claimed must be supported by adequate contemporaneous records"
The Inspector's Manual is no clearer on the issue as it merely reiterates the Tax Bulletin.
This raises the following questions:
1. what constitutes reasonable.
2. what is meant by contemporaneous - is this receipts for actual expenditure or evidence that the person was away that night.
So is it possible to just claim for a reasonable amount (irrespective of what is actually paid, as they may have taken a supply of sandwiches) or is actual expenditure necessary and then the test of reasonableness applied (ie: greasy spoon - reasonable, Savoy Grill - unreasonable)
- Deleted question? 717 19
- Accounts Question 80 4
- What are options for non CA firm 3,157 67
- Do I need a smartphone? 1,924 69
- MAAT vs ACCA 688 13
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 1,383 24
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,912 46
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 639 3
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 427 4
- VAT Return Errors 162 2
- Adjustment to previous self assessments 112 5
- inflation rate year on year 138 3
- Yorkshire Day 591 38
- Company valuation for IHT purposes 177 4
- Principal Private Residence relief on two semis knocked together 175 4
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 378 16
- Entrepreneurs relief sale of business to two different buyers?? 142 3
- SMP reclaimable by employer 290 7
- Agent help line - long queues? 235 4
- the umbrella scheme for PAYE 149 1
- Cancelled 468
- Cancelled 385
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 375
- Probiz 356
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 260
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 235
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 229
- More spam 183
- Does anyone have SCI unit contact details? 161
- Employee Benefit Trust 151