On 05/02/01 I asked a question about a new client that often travels large distances to do his job and sleeps in his vehicle 4-6 times a month. In previous accounts there are large sums for travel & subsistence, which I queried with the client as there was no expenditure records. I received the reply that he "booked nights out like a lorry driver and slept in the cab". He has records to establish when he was away overnight.
My query was, is there an accepted amount that could be claimed in a Sch D case.
The relevant ref seems to be Tax Bulletin 8 that clarified the position with regard to long distance self-employed lorry drivers, and then went on to state "We have been asked whether this treament can be extended to such drivers who spend the night in their cabs rather than take overnight accommodation. We have confirmed that it can."
It then goes on to state: "It should be emphasised that it is only 'reasonable' expenses which may be allowed and the expenses claimed must be supported by adequate contemporaneous records"
The Inspector's Manual is no clearer on the issue as it merely reiterates the Tax Bulletin.
This raises the following questions:
1. what constitutes reasonable.
2. what is meant by contemporaneous - is this receipts for actual expenditure or evidence that the person was away that night.
So is it possible to just claim for a reasonable amount (irrespective of what is actually paid, as they may have taken a supply of sandwiches) or is actual expenditure necessary and then the test of reasonableness applied (ie: greasy spoon - reasonable, Savoy Grill - unreasonable)
- Company formation and bank account 176 6
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,512 44
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 470 9
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 383 8
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 162 2
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 389 8
- OneNote is fantastic 449 11
- VAT Direct Debit 348 7
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 433 8
- Self Assessment Software 676 21
- Share capital - death of a shareholder 429 13
- Self-assessment statistics 2,347 55
- Director started half way through the year no previous income. Pro rate NI 229 11
- Owning overseas property 219 1
- Fees to charge for Auto enrolment Pension for small Employers 325 3
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 279 1
- Expedia say that they can't give me a VAT invoice 685 13
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,143 21
- PPR on a development? 236 4
- PAYE – Directors NI 424 7
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 648
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 398
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 396
- Property letting & CAs 386
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 379
- 2015 tax year end 379
- FCA regulated company in a small group 338
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 248
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 235
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 229