On 05/02/01 I asked a question about a new client that often travels large distances to do his job and sleeps in his vehicle 4-6 times a month. In previous accounts there are large sums for travel & subsistence, which I queried with the client as there was no expenditure records. I received the reply that he "booked nights out like a lorry driver and slept in the cab". He has records to establish when he was away overnight.
My query was, is there an accepted amount that could be claimed in a Sch D case.
The relevant ref seems to be Tax Bulletin 8 that clarified the position with regard to long distance self-employed lorry drivers, and then went on to state "We have been asked whether this treament can be extended to such drivers who spend the night in their cabs rather than take overnight accommodation. We have confirmed that it can."
It then goes on to state: "It should be emphasised that it is only 'reasonable' expenses which may be allowed and the expenses claimed must be supported by adequate contemporaneous records"
The Inspector's Manual is no clearer on the issue as it merely reiterates the Tax Bulletin.
This raises the following questions:
1. what constitutes reasonable.
2. what is meant by contemporaneous - is this receipts for actual expenditure or evidence that the person was away that night.
So is it possible to just claim for a reasonable amount (irrespective of what is actually paid, as they may have taken a supply of sandwiches) or is actual expenditure necessary and then the test of reasonableness applied (ie: greasy spoon - reasonable, Savoy Grill - unreasonable)
- Director's current account - fuel costs and expenses 37 1
- Coming in from the cold 319 3
- Splitting the tax year 154 2
- P11d & Medical Ins 187 2
- Should design costs be capitalised? 166 4
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 147 2
- Submitting tax return 123 1
- Ex Client from over 3 years ago 216 3
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 258 8
- Director's tax return 333 7
- Reporting no P11d due when PAYE scheme closed by HMRC 5Apr2013 122 1
- Sage Payroll 316 11
- Payroo Employer allowance query 208 6
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,070 33
- vat return 262 3
- Flat rate vat 159 1
- Value pricing 732 26
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 166 4
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 243 4
- Private residence relief with entrepreneur relief mix 295 4
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 805
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 557
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 426
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 304
- Free Tax Legislation? 274
- Director Loan account operation 255
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 252
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 246
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 232
- Paye procedures for CVA 169