On 05/02/01 I asked a question about a new client that often travels large distances to do his job and sleeps in his vehicle 4-6 times a month. In previous accounts there are large sums for travel & subsistence, which I queried with the client as there was no expenditure records. I received the reply that he "booked nights out like a lorry driver and slept in the cab". He has records to establish when he was away overnight.
My query was, is there an accepted amount that could be claimed in a Sch D case.
The relevant ref seems to be Tax Bulletin 8 that clarified the position with regard to long distance self-employed lorry drivers, and then went on to state "We have been asked whether this treament can be extended to such drivers who spend the night in their cabs rather than take overnight accommodation. We have confirmed that it can."
It then goes on to state: "It should be emphasised that it is only 'reasonable' expenses which may be allowed and the expenses claimed must be supported by adequate contemporaneous records"
The Inspector's Manual is no clearer on the issue as it merely reiterates the Tax Bulletin.
This raises the following questions:
1. what constitutes reasonable.
2. what is meant by contemporaneous - is this receipts for actual expenditure or evidence that the person was away that night.
So is it possible to just claim for a reasonable amount (irrespective of what is actually paid, as they may have taken a supply of sandwiches) or is actual expenditure necessary and then the test of reasonableness applied (ie: greasy spoon - reasonable, Savoy Grill - unreasonable)
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 306 15
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 918 44
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,247 417
- Is this fraud? 497 12
- Likely interaction of new Onshore Employment Intermediaries Act with IR35 ? 37 1
- Furnished lettings criteria 257 4
- Sole trader - Normal Bank account used for business? 25 1
- VAT registration pre-incorporation- wait for TOGC or treat as sale? 152 4
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 143 1
- Naming new company 303 6
- Is it possible to retrospectively change the tax year that dividends were paid. 485 20
- Saying goodbye 529 14
- Opening start-up business bank accounts 130 1
- QuickBooks - Separating expenses from purchases 192 4
- Has HMRC got powers to do this? 646 5
- Pension Contributions Relief 395 12
- Revaluation of investment proeprty 90 1
- Excel: MATCH does not match two apparently identical cells 791 7
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,485 31
- Tax on private fuel for own car 222 5
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,281
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 457
- National Insurance 354
- Non Resident 273
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 265
- Franchise income and costs 243
- Hands on experience of Digita 205
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 151
- Employer's Helpline 151
- employment capital allowances 142