On 05/02/01 I asked a question about a new client that often travels large distances to do his job and sleeps in his vehicle 4-6 times a month. In previous accounts there are large sums for travel & subsistence, which I queried with the client as there was no expenditure records. I received the reply that he "booked nights out like a lorry driver and slept in the cab". He has records to establish when he was away overnight.
My query was, is there an accepted amount that could be claimed in a Sch D case.
The relevant ref seems to be Tax Bulletin 8 that clarified the position with regard to long distance self-employed lorry drivers, and then went on to state "We have been asked whether this treament can be extended to such drivers who spend the night in their cabs rather than take overnight accommodation. We have confirmed that it can."
It then goes on to state: "It should be emphasised that it is only 'reasonable' expenses which may be allowed and the expenses claimed must be supported by adequate contemporaneous records"
The Inspector's Manual is no clearer on the issue as it merely reiterates the Tax Bulletin.
This raises the following questions:
1. what constitutes reasonable.
2. what is meant by contemporaneous - is this receipts for actual expenditure or evidence that the person was away that night.
So is it possible to just claim for a reasonable amount (irrespective of what is actually paid, as they may have taken a supply of sandwiches) or is actual expenditure necessary and then the test of reasonableness applied (ie: greasy spoon - reasonable, Savoy Grill - unreasonable)
- Director appointment not valid - any observations? 122 7
- Settlement discount 88 4
- Homing sandwiches 403 10
- CT600 70 2
- signature required 468 21
- Director Personal Bank Account in company's books 494 9
- How do I undo the work of a Macro in Excel 168 5
- A number of Clearbooks VAT return issues! 155 2
- VAT on hotel payments received in advance 104 2
- Pratice Management Software 80 1
- Norwegian p45, which UK Tax return does it go into 197 10
- Left UK in 2006 but did not declare rental income since 2009 117 1
- VAT rate charged by surveyor 181 2
- Related Party Transactions 106 2
- UK resident receiving USA pension 98 1
- EU eservices VAT change imminent 465 9
- Sage payroll alternatives 756 13
- More AE! 761 17
- Web sites 247 3
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 609 13
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,236
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 810
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 517
- Digita Hosted Software 334
- Credit where credit's due....... 309
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 235
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 189
- TheTax Donut 178
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 157
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 157