On 05/02/01 I asked a question about a new client that often travels large distances to do his job and sleeps in his vehicle 4-6 times a month. In previous accounts there are large sums for travel & subsistence, which I queried with the client as there was no expenditure records. I received the reply that he "booked nights out like a lorry driver and slept in the cab". He has records to establish when he was away overnight.
My query was, is there an accepted amount that could be claimed in a Sch D case.
The relevant ref seems to be Tax Bulletin 8 that clarified the position with regard to long distance self-employed lorry drivers, and then went on to state "We have been asked whether this treament can be extended to such drivers who spend the night in their cabs rather than take overnight accommodation. We have confirmed that it can."
It then goes on to state: "It should be emphasised that it is only 'reasonable' expenses which may be allowed and the expenses claimed must be supported by adequate contemporaneous records"
The Inspector's Manual is no clearer on the issue as it merely reiterates the Tax Bulletin.
This raises the following questions:
1. what constitutes reasonable.
2. what is meant by contemporaneous - is this receipts for actual expenditure or evidence that the person was away that night.
So is it possible to just claim for a reasonable amount (irrespective of what is actually paid, as they may have taken a supply of sandwiches) or is actual expenditure necessary and then the test of reasonableness applied (ie: greasy spoon - reasonable, Savoy Grill - unreasonable)
- FPS responses ... 327 12
- How far back can a direct debit be claimed back by client? 423 4
- DLA Write Off Tax Implications 413 8
- Nominal Codes 135 6
- Do I need to revise VAT returns 65 1
- Option to Tax 50 1
- Ouch. Those penalties sting 1,110 23
- Tax credits and Concentrix 77 1
- HMRC repayment has gone to wrong bank account - quickest way to resolve? 231 4
- Car fuel benefit - changing basis 109 1
- CGT on transfer of shares to Holding company 193 7
- Tax relief on loan interest paid by a property investment company 127 4
- Deductible or not ? Working out of hotels /coffee shops 199 3
- Filling in my self assessment 860 16
- Missing PAYE codes 178 3
- Capital gains on tax return - attachments 142 4
- Main residence relief - husband and wife scanarios 257 3
- proposed dividends 474 19
- How does one compete? 561 7
- Help with small charity CT600 please!! 389 4
- Sanzar 476
- Digital marketing focus group 391
- Sage troubleshooting for employee who has previously claimed SMP 368
- Are commercial mortgage cashbacks subject to Corporation Tax ? 311
- Continuity Agreement 310
- Sainsbury's mangement 309
- Avanti Accounts 306
- Buyback 279
- Entrepreneurs' relief (ER) for EMI shares 226
- Iris and Miicrosoft 365 198