On 05/02/01 I asked a question about a new client that often travels large distances to do his job and sleeps in his vehicle 4-6 times a month. In previous accounts there are large sums for travel & subsistence, which I queried with the client as there was no expenditure records. I received the reply that he "booked nights out like a lorry driver and slept in the cab". He has records to establish when he was away overnight.
My query was, is there an accepted amount that could be claimed in a Sch D case.
The relevant ref seems to be Tax Bulletin 8 that clarified the position with regard to long distance self-employed lorry drivers, and then went on to state "We have been asked whether this treament can be extended to such drivers who spend the night in their cabs rather than take overnight accommodation. We have confirmed that it can."
It then goes on to state: "It should be emphasised that it is only 'reasonable' expenses which may be allowed and the expenses claimed must be supported by adequate contemporaneous records"
The Inspector's Manual is no clearer on the issue as it merely reiterates the Tax Bulletin.
This raises the following questions:
1. what constitutes reasonable.
2. what is meant by contemporaneous - is this receipts for actual expenditure or evidence that the person was away that night.
So is it possible to just claim for a reasonable amount (irrespective of what is actually paid, as they may have taken a supply of sandwiches) or is actual expenditure necessary and then the test of reasonableness applied (ie: greasy spoon - reasonable, Savoy Grill - unreasonable)
- Flat Rate VAT and EU sales (Non VAT) 119 3
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 295 9
- P35 and Service Company questions 36 1
- VAT chargeable to conference attendees 166 5
- Long period of account for Corporation Tax 122 5
- NIC £2000 Allowance - Care Support Worker 95 3
- VAT, vans, sole traders and business use. 1,568 12
- Companies House incorporation service 267 11
- Share Capital 61 2
- Trading income or not? 130 1
- Charge HMRC 358 3
- FRS17 query 223 2
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,746 44
- If I repay my Directors loan, will I haveto pay tax on the profit ? 2,576 29
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 555 12
- Slipped out of the self assessment radar 273 2
- How to opt out? 405 6
- Sage Bank Reconciliation 94 1
- utr 180 4
- Moneysoft Payroll Manager 321 7
- Xtuple 541
- Qtac payroll for bureau 369
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 313
- Industrial & Provident Societies 308
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 281
- CIS schemes 215
- Domain name sale and limited company 202
- Investment 182
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 176
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 176