overpayment of tax rebate
Hello, please can someone assist me? I am a sole trader, registered for VAT in my own name. In June this year, I received a letter from HM Revenue & Customs saying I have not paid the VAT for the first and second quarters of 2009.
I had paid both payments (total £2847.04) - I had to get copies of the cheques from my bank which I sent them, with copies of the bank statement showing the money going out.
They have now told me that when they received my cheques they mistakenly paid the amounts into my Self-assessment account.
I subsequently received a tax rebate which I had no reason to believe I was not entitled to.
They have not commented on why it took them over a year to notice the money had not been credited to my VAT account.
They are now wanting instant repayment of what they are calling non-payment of VAT.
I have done nothing wrong here. I paid the VAT on time, the VAT number was clear on the reverse of the cheque, they must have processed the VAT return form to know how much the payment was! I had no correspondence to tell me they had not received my payment of VAT.
I received a tax rebate which I have spent.
I do not agree this is non-payment of VAT. To me, it is an over-payment of tax rebate, and it seems to come under something called "Official Error".
Could anyone please tell lme wher I stand here? I do not have £2800. I have done absolutely nothing wrong. There is a catalogue of errors on the part of HMRC. Apparently, they should not even have sent me the tax rebate without prior investigation as to why it was due - they didn't even do that!
I would be grateful if anyone can assist. Thank you.
- Share premium or Directors Loan 746 31
- Enquiry into tax return - how co-operative would you be? 370 8
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,427 47
- Interest on HMRC contract settlement 170 3
- Goodwill gesture for providing work 445 12
- VAT reconciliation and VAT return on Sage 117 3
- What would you do in this situation? 180 5
- Filing a P87 (professional fees) before year end. 142 2
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 616 13
- More HMRC on gov.uk 647 11
- Rollover relief - when does gain crystallise in this situation? 94 1
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 346 14
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 249 4
- Research and development - repayment timescale 220 5
- Sole trader hid directorships. 401 6
- NOVA 558 1
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 278 10
- Regional Development Grant 127 4
- Problem ex client...again.. 2,447 21
- Company car without a salary 244 2
- Bonus Bonds 391
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 381
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 293
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 261
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 188
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 182
- Finance Lease 158
- Company Car Lease 157
- Form 42 149
- Demerger Reserve 132