overpayment of tax rebate
Hello, please can someone assist me? I am a sole trader, registered for VAT in my own name. In June this year, I received a letter from HM Revenue & Customs saying I have not paid the VAT for the first and second quarters of 2009.
I had paid both payments (total £2847.04) - I had to get copies of the cheques from my bank which I sent them, with copies of the bank statement showing the money going out.
They have now told me that when they received my cheques they mistakenly paid the amounts into my Self-assessment account.
I subsequently received a tax rebate which I had no reason to believe I was not entitled to.
They have not commented on why it took them over a year to notice the money had not been credited to my VAT account.
They are now wanting instant repayment of what they are calling non-payment of VAT.
I have done nothing wrong here. I paid the VAT on time, the VAT number was clear on the reverse of the cheque, they must have processed the VAT return form to know how much the payment was! I had no correspondence to tell me they had not received my payment of VAT.
I received a tax rebate which I have spent.
I do not agree this is non-payment of VAT. To me, it is an over-payment of tax rebate, and it seems to come under something called "Official Error".
Could anyone please tell lme wher I stand here? I do not have £2800. I have done absolutely nothing wrong. There is a catalogue of errors on the part of HMRC. Apparently, they should not even have sent me the tax rebate without prior investigation as to why it was due - they didn't even do that!
I would be grateful if anyone can assist. Thank you.
- On line petition re HMRC grabbing money from taxpayer bank accounts 887 20
- Gross Profit Percentage 278 6
- How to change credit note allocation in Sage 232 10
- Companies House 207 3
- Who would you nominate for a Practice Excellence Award? 155 1
- How to Value a Business 484 9
- can a CGT transfer be legally cancelled in the future if 155 5
- Simple Ltd company accounts service 563 13
- How much did you pay for your website 506 13
- HMRC repayment issued, how long till it hits account? 127 1
- Sage Payroll & NIC 389 7
- Company Pension Contributions 277 6
- Expenses allowable 194 3
- Let Property Campaign 394 6
- Is there anything I should know about Northern Irish companies? 146 1
- Self employment trap - pension 356 3
- Awkward IP 623 9
- ESC A19 140 2
- When does my Property business start 280 4
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 1,543 43
- CTA study material 604
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 598
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 369
- Employment related securities question 227
- Foreign Business setting up in UK 200
- ATED Penalties 197
- AIM Stocks and IHT 179
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 139
- Expat pension contributions? 130
- Trust for Employee 126