overpayment of tax rebate
Hello, please can someone assist me? I am a sole trader, registered for VAT in my own name. In June this year, I received a letter from HM Revenue & Customs saying I have not paid the VAT for the first and second quarters of 2009.
I had paid both payments (total £2847.04) - I had to get copies of the cheques from my bank which I sent them, with copies of the bank statement showing the money going out.
They have now told me that when they received my cheques they mistakenly paid the amounts into my Self-assessment account.
I subsequently received a tax rebate which I had no reason to believe I was not entitled to.
They have not commented on why it took them over a year to notice the money had not been credited to my VAT account.
They are now wanting instant repayment of what they are calling non-payment of VAT.
I have done nothing wrong here. I paid the VAT on time, the VAT number was clear on the reverse of the cheque, they must have processed the VAT return form to know how much the payment was! I had no correspondence to tell me they had not received my payment of VAT.
I received a tax rebate which I have spent.
I do not agree this is non-payment of VAT. To me, it is an over-payment of tax rebate, and it seems to come under something called "Official Error".
Could anyone please tell lme wher I stand here? I do not have £2800. I have done absolutely nothing wrong. There is a catalogue of errors on the part of HMRC. Apparently, they should not even have sent me the tax rebate without prior investigation as to why it was due - they didn't even do that!
I would be grateful if anyone can assist. Thank you.
- rates of pay query 171 2
- Recommendation for a good website on exchange rate forecast 103 7
- Year end 330 4
- Test purchases in VAT enquiries 181 3
- Comments on this scenario 54 1
- Related Parties Note 406 9
- Annual Investment Allowance (AIA) 67 1
- Where can I get Quickbooks help 114 4
- Have i messed up? 591 9
- loss on carbon credits 95 2
- New HMRC phone answering method ... 551 9
- SAGE con 172 3
- Dazed & confused 154 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 230 2
- Overpayment relief claim 121 4
- How to prepare and Finalize Vat company accounts 225 9
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,533 63
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 509 28
- Charity reserves 116 2
- Aggressive HMRC 1,525 16
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,002
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 543
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 359
- Tax efficient holding company structure 286
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 271
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 209
- Charge out rates in London? 206
- Pension contributions higher rate extension? 180
- Personal consumption by landlord 178
- Interest on Loan to a Company 172