overpayment of tax rebate
Hello, please can someone assist me? I am a sole trader, registered for VAT in my own name. In June this year, I received a letter from HM Revenue & Customs saying I have not paid the VAT for the first and second quarters of 2009.
I had paid both payments (total £2847.04) - I had to get copies of the cheques from my bank which I sent them, with copies of the bank statement showing the money going out.
They have now told me that when they received my cheques they mistakenly paid the amounts into my Self-assessment account.
I subsequently received a tax rebate which I had no reason to believe I was not entitled to.
They have not commented on why it took them over a year to notice the money had not been credited to my VAT account.
They are now wanting instant repayment of what they are calling non-payment of VAT.
I have done nothing wrong here. I paid the VAT on time, the VAT number was clear on the reverse of the cheque, they must have processed the VAT return form to know how much the payment was! I had no correspondence to tell me they had not received my payment of VAT.
I received a tax rebate which I have spent.
I do not agree this is non-payment of VAT. To me, it is an over-payment of tax rebate, and it seems to come under something called "Official Error".
Could anyone please tell lme wher I stand here? I do not have £2800. I have done absolutely nothing wrong. There is a catalogue of errors on the part of HMRC. Apparently, they should not even have sent me the tax rebate without prior investigation as to why it was due - they didn't even do that!
I would be grateful if anyone can assist. Thank you.
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 1,090 20
- What do your junior staff do? 104 3
- PPR Relief, 3 years for 'any reason' 305 1
- Property Purchase in Daughters Name 245 8
- Where has Portia gone? 926 40
- Practice management software 909 16
- Spousal transfer and PPR 455 14
- Career advice for ex HMRC Inspector 1,714 32
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,575 72
- Rogue Accountant 2,888 46
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 5,316 19
- HMRC Scam 297 2
- Departments in Sage 50 106 1
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 278 2
- HMRC, YouTube, ITTOIA... 323 4
- Capital Gains? 270 2
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 109 1
- Partial Exemption relating to a multi academy trust 81 1
- Is it possible to have an excel link to a different dated excel file 467 9
- Taxation of serviced offices 138 2
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 775
- RTI - duplicate employee record 515
- Pensions Regulator 441
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 397
- Sage Vat return box 2 298
- Sanzar 297
- Digital marketing focus group 279
- How do you do it 266
- Report old income 231
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 230