overpayment of tax rebate
Hello, please can someone assist me? I am a sole trader, registered for VAT in my own name. In June this year, I received a letter from HM Revenue & Customs saying I have not paid the VAT for the first and second quarters of 2009.
I had paid both payments (total £2847.04) - I had to get copies of the cheques from my bank which I sent them, with copies of the bank statement showing the money going out.
They have now told me that when they received my cheques they mistakenly paid the amounts into my Self-assessment account.
I subsequently received a tax rebate which I had no reason to believe I was not entitled to.
They have not commented on why it took them over a year to notice the money had not been credited to my VAT account.
They are now wanting instant repayment of what they are calling non-payment of VAT.
I have done nothing wrong here. I paid the VAT on time, the VAT number was clear on the reverse of the cheque, they must have processed the VAT return form to know how much the payment was! I had no correspondence to tell me they had not received my payment of VAT.
I received a tax rebate which I have spent.
I do not agree this is non-payment of VAT. To me, it is an over-payment of tax rebate, and it seems to come under something called "Official Error".
Could anyone please tell lme wher I stand here? I do not have £2800. I have done absolutely nothing wrong. There is a catalogue of errors on the part of HMRC. Apparently, they should not even have sent me the tax rebate without prior investigation as to why it was due - they didn't even do that!
I would be grateful if anyone can assist. Thank you.
- 100% Xero practice 2,118 35
- Vat treatment of charity business income 109 6
- where has the honest passion to help gone..??? 863 18
- Company Accounts 125 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 9,196 343
- Getting VAT right for a sole trader pilot 188 6
- Donations (to a school!) 432 11
- Vat on Royalites 83 1
- Umbrella Company 146 2
- Outsourcing iXBRL Tagging 432 24
- Payroll YTD info on Operaii 82 1
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 161 5
- Mortgage deposit Gift 433 18
- Profitable company wanting to buy an office 173 3
- property rental income split 258 3
- Shadow director or alternative? 468 4
- Does my client qualify for CGT Loss? 141 1
- EIS/SEIS capital gains exemption 101 2
- About to buy a block of fees. Any advice? 1,275 5
- Use of home for storage 337 6
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,189
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 405
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 316
- National Insurance 310
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 261
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 237
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 237
- Non Resident 222
- Franchise income and costs 205
- A question for the payroll-only bureau's out there 163