overpayment of tax rebate
Hello, please can someone assist me? I am a sole trader, registered for VAT in my own name. In June this year, I received a letter from HM Revenue & Customs saying I have not paid the VAT for the first and second quarters of 2009.
I had paid both payments (total £2847.04) - I had to get copies of the cheques from my bank which I sent them, with copies of the bank statement showing the money going out.
They have now told me that when they received my cheques they mistakenly paid the amounts into my Self-assessment account.
I subsequently received a tax rebate which I had no reason to believe I was not entitled to.
They have not commented on why it took them over a year to notice the money had not been credited to my VAT account.
They are now wanting instant repayment of what they are calling non-payment of VAT.
I have done nothing wrong here. I paid the VAT on time, the VAT number was clear on the reverse of the cheque, they must have processed the VAT return form to know how much the payment was! I had no correspondence to tell me they had not received my payment of VAT.
I received a tax rebate which I have spent.
I do not agree this is non-payment of VAT. To me, it is an over-payment of tax rebate, and it seems to come under something called "Official Error".
Could anyone please tell lme wher I stand here? I do not have £2800. I have done absolutely nothing wrong. There is a catalogue of errors on the part of HMRC. Apparently, they should not even have sent me the tax rebate without prior investigation as to why it was due - they didn't even do that!
I would be grateful if anyone can assist. Thank you.
- How much?? (ACCA rules on practice insurance) 229 3
- Gift or Capital Gain? 313 9
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 314 6
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 872 24
- Does anyone know how to deal with crowd funding income 286 7
- Capital Gain? 421 11
- IHT Query 97 2
- Reversing out RTI 150 5
- When should i raise VAT invoice after pro-forma payment received? 299 9
- Sage instant bank rec - is it possible to clear past transactions and reconcile from a given month? 277 6
- BrightPay 624 18
- Classic cars investment 247 7
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 245 3
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 327 7
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 360 7
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 276 9
- Fees for dealing with auto-enrolment 283 2
- H&W company 267 3
- VAT on sale of Vehicle 217 3
- tax teatment of index linked mortgage repayment 178 2
- Benchmarking 498
- Possible Partnership? 445
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 418
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 416
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 362
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 217
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 213
- Clubs and Taxable Income 205
- Income tax on foreign dividends 196
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 191