overpayment of tax rebate
Hello, please can someone assist me? I am a sole trader, registered for VAT in my own name. In June this year, I received a letter from HM Revenue & Customs saying I have not paid the VAT for the first and second quarters of 2009.
I had paid both payments (total £2847.04) - I had to get copies of the cheques from my bank which I sent them, with copies of the bank statement showing the money going out.
They have now told me that when they received my cheques they mistakenly paid the amounts into my Self-assessment account.
I subsequently received a tax rebate which I had no reason to believe I was not entitled to.
They have not commented on why it took them over a year to notice the money had not been credited to my VAT account.
They are now wanting instant repayment of what they are calling non-payment of VAT.
I have done nothing wrong here. I paid the VAT on time, the VAT number was clear on the reverse of the cheque, they must have processed the VAT return form to know how much the payment was! I had no correspondence to tell me they had not received my payment of VAT.
I received a tax rebate which I have spent.
I do not agree this is non-payment of VAT. To me, it is an over-payment of tax rebate, and it seems to come under something called "Official Error".
Could anyone please tell lme wher I stand here? I do not have £2800. I have done absolutely nothing wrong. There is a catalogue of errors on the part of HMRC. Apparently, they should not even have sent me the tax rebate without prior investigation as to why it was due - they didn't even do that!
I would be grateful if anyone can assist. Thank you.
- Finding a Company UTR for a newly formed company 116 1
- Recomendations for a purchase order management book please? 117 1
- Instant CPD offer 279 4
- Cash basis 514 13
- Income from rent charged to business 120 2
- payroll software 365 3
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 435 5
- Statutory sick pay 307 4
- Dividend in specie 368 9
- Complicated Company car purchase 220 2
- Ltd Company Buying Own Shares and Transferring Assets 175 3
- Retail vat schemes for a restaurant 145 1
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 271 1
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 294 1
- Ownership of land - declaration of trust 166 3
- Fee base v staff ratio 382 6
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,855 27
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 333 3
- Unincorporated organistion ceasing to exist 257 2
- Gift in kind to charity by company: services 107 1
- Skandia using wrong address 573
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 306
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 304
- Employee rewards 288
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 252
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 228
- Etax Australian 186
- LLP in Construction Industry 154
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 132
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 130