overpayment of tax rebate
Hello, please can someone assist me? I am a sole trader, registered for VAT in my own name. In June this year, I received a letter from HM Revenue & Customs saying I have not paid the VAT for the first and second quarters of 2009.
I had paid both payments (total £2847.04) - I had to get copies of the cheques from my bank which I sent them, with copies of the bank statement showing the money going out.
They have now told me that when they received my cheques they mistakenly paid the amounts into my Self-assessment account.
I subsequently received a tax rebate which I had no reason to believe I was not entitled to.
They have not commented on why it took them over a year to notice the money had not been credited to my VAT account.
They are now wanting instant repayment of what they are calling non-payment of VAT.
I have done nothing wrong here. I paid the VAT on time, the VAT number was clear on the reverse of the cheque, they must have processed the VAT return form to know how much the payment was! I had no correspondence to tell me they had not received my payment of VAT.
I received a tax rebate which I have spent.
I do not agree this is non-payment of VAT. To me, it is an over-payment of tax rebate, and it seems to come under something called "Official Error".
Could anyone please tell lme wher I stand here? I do not have £2800. I have done absolutely nothing wrong. There is a catalogue of errors on the part of HMRC. Apparently, they should not even have sent me the tax rebate without prior investigation as to why it was due - they didn't even do that!
I would be grateful if anyone can assist. Thank you.
- Warning! Cannot pay SA tax at Post Office 801 22
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 52 2
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 1,370 51
- Virus Alert - VERY realistic aimed at acountants 289 4
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 221 9
- Company dividends 772 27
- White van man 962 28
- Client forgot to sign paper return and has gone on holidays 422 13
- Watch out self-assessment scam e-mail 73 3
- Charities and VAT 55 3
- How to value a business asset? 201 5
- FHL Expenses 77 2
- Has anyone experience of BPRA? 91 2
- how much to charge 152 4
- Do I pay VAT back to employer for my training?? 214 5
- FYAs on second-hand vans 135 5
- VAT Margin Schemes 100 1
- Anybody received an Employer Payment Booklet for 2015-2016? 145 4
- Investment from Friend 302 11
- VAT registration transfer 92 2
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 896
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 591
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 562
- Latest phishing scam 507
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 365
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 335
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 267
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 186
- Capital allowances in first basis period 169
- Sabbatical payments 166