overpayment of tax rebate
Hello, please can someone assist me? I am a sole trader, registered for VAT in my own name. In June this year, I received a letter from HM Revenue & Customs saying I have not paid the VAT for the first and second quarters of 2009.
I had paid both payments (total £2847.04) - I had to get copies of the cheques from my bank which I sent them, with copies of the bank statement showing the money going out.
They have now told me that when they received my cheques they mistakenly paid the amounts into my Self-assessment account.
I subsequently received a tax rebate which I had no reason to believe I was not entitled to.
They have not commented on why it took them over a year to notice the money had not been credited to my VAT account.
They are now wanting instant repayment of what they are calling non-payment of VAT.
I have done nothing wrong here. I paid the VAT on time, the VAT number was clear on the reverse of the cheque, they must have processed the VAT return form to know how much the payment was! I had no correspondence to tell me they had not received my payment of VAT.
I received a tax rebate which I have spent.
I do not agree this is non-payment of VAT. To me, it is an over-payment of tax rebate, and it seems to come under something called "Official Error".
Could anyone please tell lme wher I stand here? I do not have £2800. I have done absolutely nothing wrong. There is a catalogue of errors on the part of HMRC. Apparently, they should not even have sent me the tax rebate without prior investigation as to why it was due - they didn't even do that!
I would be grateful if anyone can assist. Thank you.
- Why does Aweb always take the nuclear option … 2,236 51
- is photo id necessary to set up a direct debit? 200 10
- How to claim CIS refund for limited company that 187 4
- Moneysoft - technical query 264 7
- VAT position on EU supplies/commission 119 3
- VAT Reverse Charge Accounting 36 2
- System selection 34 1
- New Client - incorrect accounts filed 65 2
- Exasperated by HMRC 2,215 20
- Non Resident Landlord Tax 87 2
- Copies of every transaction can't be OK!! 160 4
- Manufacturing A/c - Acc. depn 57 2
- VAT REGISTATIONS 148 3
- New Company Director PAYE Question 817 22
- Class 4 Losses 155 3
- Taking drawings in a partnership 78 1
- Issue shares to shareholders 75 3
- Education - Pre made assembly! 115 1
- Remove Extinguished Charge 124 1
- HMRC arbitrarily amending tax returns for higher rate child benefit charge 381 1
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 345
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 282
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 255
- HMRC RTI Filing Problem 254
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 243
- Electric Car 199
- S222 Charge 189
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 178
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 176
- Freelance Accounting link 165