overpayment of tax rebate
Hello, please can someone assist me? I am a sole trader, registered for VAT in my own name. In June this year, I received a letter from HM Revenue & Customs saying I have not paid the VAT for the first and second quarters of 2009.
I had paid both payments (total £2847.04) - I had to get copies of the cheques from my bank which I sent them, with copies of the bank statement showing the money going out.
They have now told me that when they received my cheques they mistakenly paid the amounts into my Self-assessment account.
I subsequently received a tax rebate which I had no reason to believe I was not entitled to.
They have not commented on why it took them over a year to notice the money had not been credited to my VAT account.
They are now wanting instant repayment of what they are calling non-payment of VAT.
I have done nothing wrong here. I paid the VAT on time, the VAT number was clear on the reverse of the cheque, they must have processed the VAT return form to know how much the payment was! I had no correspondence to tell me they had not received my payment of VAT.
I received a tax rebate which I have spent.
I do not agree this is non-payment of VAT. To me, it is an over-payment of tax rebate, and it seems to come under something called "Official Error".
Could anyone please tell lme wher I stand here? I do not have £2800. I have done absolutely nothing wrong. There is a catalogue of errors on the part of HMRC. Apparently, they should not even have sent me the tax rebate without prior investigation as to why it was due - they didn't even do that!
I would be grateful if anyone can assist. Thank you.
- Buying a business premises in a pension 178 3
- Unilateral Relief - How to calculate UK tax paid 173 2
- Tax efficient vehicle 471 9
- Going through security 256 5
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 461 17
- Dividend Tax Petition 301 3
- Sage VAT return reports difference post reconciliation 226 1
- Bank reconciliation 262 8
- Practice software 659 14
- Financial Forecasting software recommendations please 334 3
- Sage Accounts in a mess 269 5
- Buy to let investors and the budget changes. 158 2
- Business only use of company car 212 5
- As I was saying, Its VAT question day 245 7
- Goodwill on incorporation 503 17
- Paying PAYE by Direct Debit 354 10
- Mortgage Interest - Tax Deductible 198 2
- Retail business software/accounting system 137 2
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 200 9
- Certificate of Tax Deposit and APN's 110 1
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 240
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 225
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 212
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 199
- Web site and client access area advice 182
- Expenses Software 179
- VAT FRS percentage for sales person? 169
- CTA Material 162
- Any thoughts on Capium? 161
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 160