overpayment of tax rebate
Hello, please can someone assist me? I am a sole trader, registered for VAT in my own name. In June this year, I received a letter from HM Revenue & Customs saying I have not paid the VAT for the first and second quarters of 2009.
I had paid both payments (total £2847.04) - I had to get copies of the cheques from my bank which I sent them, with copies of the bank statement showing the money going out.
They have now told me that when they received my cheques they mistakenly paid the amounts into my Self-assessment account.
I subsequently received a tax rebate which I had no reason to believe I was not entitled to.
They have not commented on why it took them over a year to notice the money had not been credited to my VAT account.
They are now wanting instant repayment of what they are calling non-payment of VAT.
I have done nothing wrong here. I paid the VAT on time, the VAT number was clear on the reverse of the cheque, they must have processed the VAT return form to know how much the payment was! I had no correspondence to tell me they had not received my payment of VAT.
I received a tax rebate which I have spent.
I do not agree this is non-payment of VAT. To me, it is an over-payment of tax rebate, and it seems to come under something called "Official Error".
Could anyone please tell lme wher I stand here? I do not have £2800. I have done absolutely nothing wrong. There is a catalogue of errors on the part of HMRC. Apparently, they should not even have sent me the tax rebate without prior investigation as to why it was due - they didn't even do that!
I would be grateful if anyone can assist. Thank you.
- AWeb - download file 43 1
- Reasonable excuse for not filing returns....Death? 275 4
- Incorporated when they should not have 110 5
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 705 17
- pension paid by company? 281 7
- Late annual return 75 1
- Charity work 187 10
- Company Director In Prison 329 8
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 204 12
- HMRC Agents Line 73 2
- Tax position re this lease? 311 5
- Managing Employee Expenses 164 6
- IHT 205 partnership and business interests 44 1
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,667 60
- inheritance tax 553 14
- donations to school via self employed business (registered charity) 149 5
- Is compensation for surrender of a lease subject to VAT 53 1
- Do I need a smartphone? 609 21
- SA Agent's Priority Line 147 5
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 773 24
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 671
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 492
- Cancelled 423
- Cancelled 360
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 359
- Probiz 332
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 320
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 241
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 212
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 195