overpayment of tax rebate
Hello, please can someone assist me? I am a sole trader, registered for VAT in my own name. In June this year, I received a letter from HM Revenue & Customs saying I have not paid the VAT for the first and second quarters of 2009.
I had paid both payments (total £2847.04) - I had to get copies of the cheques from my bank which I sent them, with copies of the bank statement showing the money going out.
They have now told me that when they received my cheques they mistakenly paid the amounts into my Self-assessment account.
I subsequently received a tax rebate which I had no reason to believe I was not entitled to.
They have not commented on why it took them over a year to notice the money had not been credited to my VAT account.
They are now wanting instant repayment of what they are calling non-payment of VAT.
I have done nothing wrong here. I paid the VAT on time, the VAT number was clear on the reverse of the cheque, they must have processed the VAT return form to know how much the payment was! I had no correspondence to tell me they had not received my payment of VAT.
I received a tax rebate which I have spent.
I do not agree this is non-payment of VAT. To me, it is an over-payment of tax rebate, and it seems to come under something called "Official Error".
Could anyone please tell lme wher I stand here? I do not have £2800. I have done absolutely nothing wrong. There is a catalogue of errors on the part of HMRC. Apparently, they should not even have sent me the tax rebate without prior investigation as to why it was due - they didn't even do that!
I would be grateful if anyone can assist. Thank you.
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 776 8
- Personal Pension Relief in the Tax Code 330 5
- Paying Son 763 19
- CGT on lost shares/scam 396 5
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 687 18
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 279 10
- Love is in the air 631 7
- Auto enrolment confusion 2,061 47
- Setting up a practice 573 5
- Very large share capital by mistake 567 7
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 513 4
- 24 month rule and expenses 433 1
- Stamp Duty 306 4
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 243 4
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,833 21
- Incorporation of gp practise 415 1
- Client Paperwork Retention? 595 13
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 593 7
- Tax Overlap Reporting 424 4
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 404 9
- DTA tie-breaker issue 306
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 296
- CGT for NOn UK residents 282
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 281
- Foreign domicile status 279
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 258
- Apprenticeship Levy 244
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 242
- Discretionary payment to sick employee 231
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 226