overpayment of tax rebate
Hello, please can someone assist me? I am a sole trader, registered for VAT in my own name. In June this year, I received a letter from HM Revenue & Customs saying I have not paid the VAT for the first and second quarters of 2009.
I had paid both payments (total £2847.04) - I had to get copies of the cheques from my bank which I sent them, with copies of the bank statement showing the money going out.
They have now told me that when they received my cheques they mistakenly paid the amounts into my Self-assessment account.
I subsequently received a tax rebate which I had no reason to believe I was not entitled to.
They have not commented on why it took them over a year to notice the money had not been credited to my VAT account.
They are now wanting instant repayment of what they are calling non-payment of VAT.
I have done nothing wrong here. I paid the VAT on time, the VAT number was clear on the reverse of the cheque, they must have processed the VAT return form to know how much the payment was! I had no correspondence to tell me they had not received my payment of VAT.
I received a tax rebate which I have spent.
I do not agree this is non-payment of VAT. To me, it is an over-payment of tax rebate, and it seems to come under something called "Official Error".
Could anyone please tell lme wher I stand here? I do not have £2800. I have done absolutely nothing wrong. There is a catalogue of errors on the part of HMRC. Apparently, they should not even have sent me the tax rebate without prior investigation as to why it was due - they didn't even do that!
I would be grateful if anyone can assist. Thank you.
- Personal Tax 68 1
- VAT 281 1
- Gift aid procedure please? 113 4
- What counts as income for the £100k 'salary' cap for free childcare from 2017? 35 1
- last minute request 157 3
- Entrepreneurs relief after enhancement 97 2
- US tax form 1099 (misc?) 74 1
- Cash gift from India 476 13
- GP ACCOUNTS 61 1
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 391 16
- Stamp Duty based on Exchange or Completion Date 69 2
- Re-Training costs - tax reief 221 6
- VAT - Check on clients business 1,129 44
- Maternity and claining expenses 642 6
- Overseas workday relief 141 5
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 286 3
- Is self-employment "another job" for PAYE 660 13
- Taxation of sinking fund contributions 108 1
- MVL 254 4
- Disengagement Help! 1,502 22