overpayment of tax rebate
Hello, please can someone assist me? I am a sole trader, registered for VAT in my own name. In June this year, I received a letter from HM Revenue & Customs saying I have not paid the VAT for the first and second quarters of 2009.
I had paid both payments (total £2847.04) - I had to get copies of the cheques from my bank which I sent them, with copies of the bank statement showing the money going out.
They have now told me that when they received my cheques they mistakenly paid the amounts into my Self-assessment account.
I subsequently received a tax rebate which I had no reason to believe I was not entitled to.
They have not commented on why it took them over a year to notice the money had not been credited to my VAT account.
They are now wanting instant repayment of what they are calling non-payment of VAT.
I have done nothing wrong here. I paid the VAT on time, the VAT number was clear on the reverse of the cheque, they must have processed the VAT return form to know how much the payment was! I had no correspondence to tell me they had not received my payment of VAT.
I received a tax rebate which I have spent.
I do not agree this is non-payment of VAT. To me, it is an over-payment of tax rebate, and it seems to come under something called "Official Error".
Could anyone please tell lme wher I stand here? I do not have £2800. I have done absolutely nothing wrong. There is a catalogue of errors on the part of HMRC. Apparently, they should not even have sent me the tax rebate without prior investigation as to why it was due - they didn't even do that!
I would be grateful if anyone can assist. Thank you.
- UK company being asked for VAT number from French supplier 159 4
- Being sued due to monthly fees 888 19
- Reducing payments on account 92 4
- Property Rental Partnership? 31 1
- HMRC SPAM AGAIN 678 18
- Employed General Practitioner moves to Practice 209 3
- Disclosure of dividends 283 11
- Self employed v Employed 148 1
- Non sequitur 1,354 14
- Helping client to buy business with property opted to tax. 243 7
- Why are HMRC SA statements so useless? 72 1
- Trust accounts - deficit on income account 394 15
- Do you have to claim PPR? 129 3
- Incorrect Generic non-filing notice 1,161 15
- equipment rental 557 27
- UK tax regime 'attractive' to investors, says KPMG 200 1
- Potential client 182 2
- File naming best practice 364 12
- Vat Receipts 175 4
- Selling / Buying a limited company - impact on shares 79 1
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 508
- Alphabet shares 340
- confusion about 209
- Membership of SPA 193
- Sole trader renting property from self and co owner 182
- Hmrc agent 171
- Maximum AIA Claimable 166
- Alternate 161
- Raising money for charitable purposes 140
- hp versus contract hire versus lease purchase with balloon 131