Partners incorporating individually
The members of an LLP are thinking of incorporating fully, but not as one limited company. Instead, each will transfer his share of the business to his own personal company, leaving a partnership comprising entirely of corporate partners - a 'CT partnership'.
They will not claim any deferral in respect of the disposal of their shares of the business and will pay the 10% CGT, thereby generating a loan account. That's the idea, anyway.
On the face of it, the figures look pretty good for a business at this level of profit, as each corporate partner draws a modest dividend to use up the basic rate band and draws the rest of his income needs as a loan repayment. Even after the loan accounts are gone, there is still a modest tax saving to be had year on year.
The use of corporate patners creates a number of (hopefully!) unconnected companies, all of which are small for corporation tax purposes - incorporation of the whole business would create a company liable for the full rate of CT.
I am aware that this structure will reduce flexibility as far as a future sale of the business to a third party is concerned. Other than that, is anyone aware of any restrictions or pitfalls to the proposed structure?
Many thanks in advance for any comments.
- Welcome to the Saturday Club 1,368 62
- calculate mortgage interest 91 1
- Auto enrolment 1,640 27
- AIA 199 5
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 581 27
- Depreciation 150 1
- Help needed- Unable to fill CT600 form using HMRC software- service issue 128 3
- Non-SA client with large capital gain 322 11
- Loan repayments (personal) and profits 217 6
- Window Comb Binder Cover 173 3
- client can't/won't pay 442 13
- Help - Capital Allowance 200 6
- Splitting income from property rental or not? 255 6
- Is it possible to offset part Class 4 losses for year from one business against part profits of second business 265 9
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,190 18
- 5% penalty on late payment 270 3
- Sole trade and vehicle leasing 210 5
- HMRC SA software error? 179 2
- Plant & Machinery for commercial property 176 2
- Tax deduction for Partners for items outside of accounts 272 14
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 789
- Copy Wanted 503
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 459
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 455
- Latest phishing scam 292
- Entrepreneurs' relief 279
- Limited Company Garden Office - Minor Personal Use - BIK 273
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 254
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 242
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 238