Partners incorporating individually
The members of an LLP are thinking of incorporating fully, but not as one limited company. Instead, each will transfer his share of the business to his own personal company, leaving a partnership comprising entirely of corporate partners - a 'CT partnership'.
They will not claim any deferral in respect of the disposal of their shares of the business and will pay the 10% CGT, thereby generating a loan account. That's the idea, anyway.
On the face of it, the figures look pretty good for a business at this level of profit, as each corporate partner draws a modest dividend to use up the basic rate band and draws the rest of his income needs as a loan repayment. Even after the loan accounts are gone, there is still a modest tax saving to be had year on year.
The use of corporate patners creates a number of (hopefully!) unconnected companies, all of which are small for corporation tax purposes - incorporation of the whole business would create a company liable for the full rate of CT.
I am aware that this structure will reduce flexibility as far as a future sale of the business to a third party is concerned. Other than that, is anyone aware of any restrictions or pitfalls to the proposed structure?
Many thanks in advance for any comments.
- 27,000 Really? 892 26
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,198 65
- Deduction from Salary 615 15
- inheritance tax 343 11
- Bank account of a different company being used for transactions. 401 5
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 243 7
- Group Audit Thresholds 339 10
- One off meeting new client 1,662 16
- Legal title not in the company name 743 22
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 256 3
- Awkward insolvency practitioner 524 4
- Sage 50 re-key - VAT problem 185 3
- NALS Accountants Report 341 5
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,230 44
- Farm barn lettings 226 4
- Are Locum Optician Travel Costs Allowable? 295 4
- Using profits from Ltd company as start up funds for new venture 196 5
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 289 7
- Sole properietor 413 7
- Splitting hairs with a national firm 1,597 12
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 639
- Cancelled 392
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 352
- Cancelled 333
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 305
- Probiz 298
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 276
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 256
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 221
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 196