Partners incorporating individually
The members of an LLP are thinking of incorporating fully, but not as one limited company. Instead, each will transfer his share of the business to his own personal company, leaving a partnership comprising entirely of corporate partners - a 'CT partnership'.
They will not claim any deferral in respect of the disposal of their shares of the business and will pay the 10% CGT, thereby generating a loan account. That's the idea, anyway.
On the face of it, the figures look pretty good for a business at this level of profit, as each corporate partner draws a modest dividend to use up the basic rate band and draws the rest of his income needs as a loan repayment. Even after the loan accounts are gone, there is still a modest tax saving to be had year on year.
The use of corporate patners creates a number of (hopefully!) unconnected companies, all of which are small for corporation tax purposes - incorporation of the whole business would create a company liable for the full rate of CT.
I am aware that this structure will reduce flexibility as far as a future sale of the business to a third party is concerned. Other than that, is anyone aware of any restrictions or pitfalls to the proposed structure?
Many thanks in advance for any comments.
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 719 23
- Proposal to strike off...... 493 10
- SA316s 107 2
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 508 10
- Can I recharge Car loan interest 362 11
- Start-up cost recognition 89 1
- Lunches 171 3
- Mortgage Adviser's request 374 8
- VAT on non-denominated postage 123 3
- Generic notification message 251 6
- Property Expenses 215 7
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 811 39
- Auto Enrolment (sorry) 114 1
- Tax relief for networking day out? 500 13
- Swiching tax 500 14
- Accrued salary unpaid 255 4
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 4,193 18
- Basis periods 96 1
- P&L Treatment of property assets 112 2
- CGT on spouse's death 309 11
- Construction CIS LLP Company 599
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 589
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 385
- Pensions Regulator 350
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 289
- Using the correct forms 264
- SA penalty proposals 255
- RTI - duplicate employee record 251
- Accelerated payment notices 235
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 225