Partners incorporating individually
The members of an LLP are thinking of incorporating fully, but not as one limited company. Instead, each will transfer his share of the business to his own personal company, leaving a partnership comprising entirely of corporate partners - a 'CT partnership'.
They will not claim any deferral in respect of the disposal of their shares of the business and will pay the 10% CGT, thereby generating a loan account. That's the idea, anyway.
On the face of it, the figures look pretty good for a business at this level of profit, as each corporate partner draws a modest dividend to use up the basic rate band and draws the rest of his income needs as a loan repayment. Even after the loan accounts are gone, there is still a modest tax saving to be had year on year.
The use of corporate patners creates a number of (hopefully!) unconnected companies, all of which are small for corporation tax purposes - incorporation of the whole business would create a company liable for the full rate of CT.
I am aware that this structure will reduce flexibility as far as a future sale of the business to a third party is concerned. Other than that, is anyone aware of any restrictions or pitfalls to the proposed structure?
Many thanks in advance for any comments.
- PAYE 265 8
- Do you send out reminders to clients re due dates? 226 7
- Personal Allowance for non residents 397 9
- Is appointing liquidators necessary when closing down a company with large reserve balances 265 5
- BTL property solely in wife's name - can she split rental income with husband? 240 6
- Employment Allowance 202 2
- Capital Allowances and Building Improvements 212 6
- Is overpayment subject to VAT 893 14
- Unemployed Accounting Graduate - Need Advice - Small Firms 247 5
- xerocon 166 4
- Backdating VAT claim 106 2
- Terminal Losses - Online filing 135 3
- RTI submission different to HMRC 1,441 23
- Flat rate vat on sales commissions 173 3
- Starting Self Employment while Employed in Practice 2,528 40
- Property let at a reduced rate - losses brought forward 550 1
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,157 11
- Online Backup 117 2
- repairs and/or improvements 160 2
- Recourse to Accountant for incorrect accounts 254 1
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 663
- Auto enrolment excuses 535
- Removed post 378
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 352
- Social investment tax relief 166
- Call Centre Data Costs 165
- Patent Box and worldwide patents 159
- Digita Hosted Software 153
- Auto renewed contract, is this legal/enforceable?? 144
- option to tax 130