Partners incorporating individually
The members of an LLP are thinking of incorporating fully, but not as one limited company. Instead, each will transfer his share of the business to his own personal company, leaving a partnership comprising entirely of corporate partners - a 'CT partnership'.
They will not claim any deferral in respect of the disposal of their shares of the business and will pay the 10% CGT, thereby generating a loan account. That's the idea, anyway.
On the face of it, the figures look pretty good for a business at this level of profit, as each corporate partner draws a modest dividend to use up the basic rate band and draws the rest of his income needs as a loan repayment. Even after the loan accounts are gone, there is still a modest tax saving to be had year on year.
The use of corporate patners creates a number of (hopefully!) unconnected companies, all of which are small for corporation tax purposes - incorporation of the whole business would create a company liable for the full rate of CT.
I am aware that this structure will reduce flexibility as far as a future sale of the business to a third party is concerned. Other than that, is anyone aware of any restrictions or pitfalls to the proposed structure?
Many thanks in advance for any comments.
- Partnership Tax Return Deadline 22 1
- Can I claim mileage? 97 1
- VAT on imports and the Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 176 9
- client threatening legal action 1,812 28
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 691 8
- Partially exempt? 243 9
- Reclaiming EU VAT on fuel and expenses 93 1
- First VAT Visit for client 241 4
- Dividend in specie 235 7
- Lorry Drivers 145 2
- Redundancy payment added to p45 127 1
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 110 1
- Mexican student in UK 121 2
- PI insurance for Auto Enrolment 201 3
- Accounting Practice acting as an employment agency 305 12
- payroll software 146 1
- No Tax Returns submitted for last 16 years 1,057 25
- Complicated Company car purchase 127 1
- Pricing 337 10
- Late VAT registration penalty 257 5
- Skandia using wrong address 491
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 279
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 274
- Employee rewards 258
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 228
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 218
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 218
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 215
- Etax Australian 172
- Annual Management Charge Rebates and Self Assessment Tax Return 161