Partners incorporating individually
The members of an LLP are thinking of incorporating fully, but not as one limited company. Instead, each will transfer his share of the business to his own personal company, leaving a partnership comprising entirely of corporate partners - a 'CT partnership'.
They will not claim any deferral in respect of the disposal of their shares of the business and will pay the 10% CGT, thereby generating a loan account. That's the idea, anyway.
On the face of it, the figures look pretty good for a business at this level of profit, as each corporate partner draws a modest dividend to use up the basic rate band and draws the rest of his income needs as a loan repayment. Even after the loan accounts are gone, there is still a modest tax saving to be had year on year.
The use of corporate patners creates a number of (hopefully!) unconnected companies, all of which are small for corporation tax purposes - incorporation of the whole business would create a company liable for the full rate of CT.
I am aware that this structure will reduce flexibility as far as a future sale of the business to a third party is concerned. Other than that, is anyone aware of any restrictions or pitfalls to the proposed structure?
Many thanks in advance for any comments.
- Am I the only one who finds this annoying 1,171 41
- Flat Rate VAT 244 8
- Sage Drive Queue.dta file lock out 705 15
- Practice software 1,183 17
- Starting your response in the subject line of the form 310 7
- When to register or not for PAYE 535 11
- Invoicing for monthly clients 491 8
- Seeking advice: With recruitment agencies for temporary placements, is VAT taken off the whole sum received from the client, or just what the company retains? 235 5
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 569 8
- Redundancy pay 323 9
- Final CT Return - liquidating company 235 2
- VAT on farm machinery sold 262 5
- Servicing AE fees 184 2
- VAT Receipts 275 8
- Changing pay dates on Moneysoft 166 2
- P800 problems again 121 1
- Company accounts for £350 992 27
- Directors Loan Account Question 443 12
- Setting up a Charity Trust?? 157 4
- Seeking advice: Osetting Directors Loan at Startup 238 5
- FRS 101 Software 338
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 308
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 299
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 274
- French ConnectionUK 241
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 216
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 204
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 202
- APN's 187
- Penalties for late filing of P11D forms 184