Partners incorporating individually
The members of an LLP are thinking of incorporating fully, but not as one limited company. Instead, each will transfer his share of the business to his own personal company, leaving a partnership comprising entirely of corporate partners - a 'CT partnership'.
They will not claim any deferral in respect of the disposal of their shares of the business and will pay the 10% CGT, thereby generating a loan account. That's the idea, anyway.
On the face of it, the figures look pretty good for a business at this level of profit, as each corporate partner draws a modest dividend to use up the basic rate band and draws the rest of his income needs as a loan repayment. Even after the loan accounts are gone, there is still a modest tax saving to be had year on year.
The use of corporate patners creates a number of (hopefully!) unconnected companies, all of which are small for corporation tax purposes - incorporation of the whole business would create a company liable for the full rate of CT.
I am aware that this structure will reduce flexibility as far as a future sale of the business to a third party is concerned. Other than that, is anyone aware of any restrictions or pitfalls to the proposed structure?
Many thanks in advance for any comments.
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,135 45
- dividend 107 10
- Error on SA Tax Return 79 2
- Purchase of shares in a Limited Company 80 5
- Repairs or Improvement? 238 5
- Credit Card Payment - What are we required to do? 143 3
- Irish Taxation 132 4
- Now the phishers have baited their hooks with SAGE 284 2
- Self assessment tax arrears 505 6
- Drector renting room to company 74 1
- Off site storage 137 5
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 582 6
- Anyone know about Cloud-Based Practice Management Software? 237 7
- Industrial & Provident Societies 346 1
- Advertising with Hibu nee Yell (Yellow Pages) 223 3
- Auto-enrolment - Fees 317 4
- Self assesment losses 312 8
- RTI and s18 ITEPA 170 3
- Garden studio - tax and VAT deductible? 177 1
- CT treatment of staff entertainment for overseas staff 117 2
- Xtuple 563
- Qtac payroll for bureau 385
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 340
- Domain name sale and limited company 230
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 211
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 207
- Investment 204
- Tax on damages received 178
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 177
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 145