Partners incorporating individually
The members of an LLP are thinking of incorporating fully, but not as one limited company. Instead, each will transfer his share of the business to his own personal company, leaving a partnership comprising entirely of corporate partners - a 'CT partnership'.
They will not claim any deferral in respect of the disposal of their shares of the business and will pay the 10% CGT, thereby generating a loan account. That's the idea, anyway.
On the face of it, the figures look pretty good for a business at this level of profit, as each corporate partner draws a modest dividend to use up the basic rate band and draws the rest of his income needs as a loan repayment. Even after the loan accounts are gone, there is still a modest tax saving to be had year on year.
The use of corporate patners creates a number of (hopefully!) unconnected companies, all of which are small for corporation tax purposes - incorporation of the whole business would create a company liable for the full rate of CT.
I am aware that this structure will reduce flexibility as far as a future sale of the business to a third party is concerned. Other than that, is anyone aware of any restrictions or pitfalls to the proposed structure?
Many thanks in advance for any comments.
- New starter - tax code 162 6
- The importance of Grammar 871 23
- Treatment of private car expenses put through limited company 66 2
- Why does Aweb always take the nuclear option … 2,665 60
- PI cover 62 2
- Bookkeeping - Relevant Qualifications? 246 3
- Capital loss on cessation for a sole trader 103 2
- HMRC site down ? 136 4
- Tax Filer - Transfering figures from partnership to personal returns 130 6
- Small hotel - food for personal use 190 3
- Xero Pain Points 248 12
- Models, agency rules and intermediary reporting 92 1
- Samsung Galaxy - Tablet War 101 1
- Late RTI submissions on change of accountants 151 2
- VAT - How hard is it? 366 15
- Tax Return for arrivals into the UK 145 4
- Copies of every transaction can't be OK!! 582 9
- ACCOUNTING TREATMENT FOR DISBURSEMENTS 231 3
- Childcare 269 4
- Overdrawn directors loan account. 812 19
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 360
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 299
- HMRC RTI Filing Problem 284
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 280
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 271
- Electric Car 220
- S222 Charge 200
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 194
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 189
- Company Structure 170