Partners incorporating individually
The members of an LLP are thinking of incorporating fully, but not as one limited company. Instead, each will transfer his share of the business to his own personal company, leaving a partnership comprising entirely of corporate partners - a 'CT partnership'.
They will not claim any deferral in respect of the disposal of their shares of the business and will pay the 10% CGT, thereby generating a loan account. That's the idea, anyway.
On the face of it, the figures look pretty good for a business at this level of profit, as each corporate partner draws a modest dividend to use up the basic rate band and draws the rest of his income needs as a loan repayment. Even after the loan accounts are gone, there is still a modest tax saving to be had year on year.
The use of corporate patners creates a number of (hopefully!) unconnected companies, all of which are small for corporation tax purposes - incorporation of the whole business would create a company liable for the full rate of CT.
I am aware that this structure will reduce flexibility as far as a future sale of the business to a third party is concerned. Other than that, is anyone aware of any restrictions or pitfalls to the proposed structure?
Many thanks in advance for any comments.
- Tax residence 90 2
- Enquiry charge out rates - benchmarking 115 1
- Which software for practice books? 308 7
- Company Car Purchased in Name of Director 131 2
- Concerned about RTI 2014 1,634 33
- Accountant software 293 7
- Accountant Pays Clients Tax 451 7
- HMRC SPAM AGAIN 97 1
- No Prrof of Posting of Tax Return sent by Post 424 13
- Can pre-registration vat be reclaimed? 231 4
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 1,885 22
- Mileage and Corportation Tax 89 1
- Renting property to yourself 324 8
- Definition of "Ultimate Controlling Party" FRS 8 387 16
- Consolidation and subsidiaries with different period ends 105 4
- register as self employed? 134 2
- Who owns SAGE Data? 162 1
- VAT enquiry 105 1
- Write off of former director's loan 242 4
- A previous partnership, a dispute and their conduct now 265 4
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 647
- CIS to 5/10/13 and HMRC Computer issue 485
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 451
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 276
- How to format a stock book 235
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 196
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 187
- Tax efficient holding company structure 176
- Investment property company accounts template 165
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 161