Partners incorporating individually
The members of an LLP are thinking of incorporating fully, but not as one limited company. Instead, each will transfer his share of the business to his own personal company, leaving a partnership comprising entirely of corporate partners - a 'CT partnership'.
They will not claim any deferral in respect of the disposal of their shares of the business and will pay the 10% CGT, thereby generating a loan account. That's the idea, anyway.
On the face of it, the figures look pretty good for a business at this level of profit, as each corporate partner draws a modest dividend to use up the basic rate band and draws the rest of his income needs as a loan repayment. Even after the loan accounts are gone, there is still a modest tax saving to be had year on year.
The use of corporate patners creates a number of (hopefully!) unconnected companies, all of which are small for corporation tax purposes - incorporation of the whole business would create a company liable for the full rate of CT.
I am aware that this structure will reduce flexibility as far as a future sale of the business to a third party is concerned. Other than that, is anyone aware of any restrictions or pitfalls to the proposed structure?
Many thanks in advance for any comments.
- Opening Balances with very little info... 134 3
- Settlements Legislation - Adult Children as shareholders 159 2
- How to account for investment in JV? 184 1
- When to register or not for PAYE 327 5
- Strike off after accounts submitted 88 1
- Assets requested back from supplier ? 305 4
- What is your favourite font? 397 11
- CGT on Let Property 370 7
- Strike off 249 7
- Franchise affiliations 140 1
- Company investment 175 4
- Disclosure of 2014 corporation tax refund in 2015 accounts 118 1
- Gift to son by parents 361 3
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 1,210 35
- How to find difference in Sage bank rec 182 4
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 469 7
- New CASC rules 179 2
- Autoenrolment and variable earnings 279 2
- CIS subcontractor's invoice on QuickFile 157 4
- Treatment of private ambulances on introduction to business 263 6
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 343
- Any thoughts on Capium? 299
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 275
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 255
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 242
- auto enrolment 218
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 198
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 196
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 169
- French ConnectionUK 149