Partners incorporating individually
The members of an LLP are thinking of incorporating fully, but not as one limited company. Instead, each will transfer his share of the business to his own personal company, leaving a partnership comprising entirely of corporate partners - a 'CT partnership'.
They will not claim any deferral in respect of the disposal of their shares of the business and will pay the 10% CGT, thereby generating a loan account. That's the idea, anyway.
On the face of it, the figures look pretty good for a business at this level of profit, as each corporate partner draws a modest dividend to use up the basic rate band and draws the rest of his income needs as a loan repayment. Even after the loan accounts are gone, there is still a modest tax saving to be had year on year.
The use of corporate patners creates a number of (hopefully!) unconnected companies, all of which are small for corporation tax purposes - incorporation of the whole business would create a company liable for the full rate of CT.
I am aware that this structure will reduce flexibility as far as a future sale of the business to a third party is concerned. Other than that, is anyone aware of any restrictions or pitfalls to the proposed structure?
Many thanks in advance for any comments.
- How much does the company pay 759 33
- Proof of identification 33 1
- When to provide S419 tax in the accounts 56 2
- Which tax returns can I submit? 67 1
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 285 5
- Using home as clients registered address 179 4
- Childcare vouchers 361 8
- Is this a qualifying loan for interest deductions? 67 2
- New Enterprise Allowance 67 1
- VAT Notice 700/64 - claiming VAT on motor repairs 52 1
- two business from one premises 179 3
- VAT transfer on going concern on incorporation 41 1
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 239 4
- HMRC property income enquiry 411 9
- 10 Worst xmas presents for an accountant 344 4
- Merry Christmas 119 2
- THEATRE SHOW - HIRE - VAT PAYABLE ON TICKET SALES 81 3
- New Incorporations - ERTNAC hoax - anyone else seen this? 1,092 12
- Anyone else still working this week? 422 13
- LTD home office - would HMRC seek to disallow 1,432 9
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 507
- corporate hierarchy 470
- Advice - 325
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 275
- WWOOFers 265
- The booking.com con 248
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 244
- Cocaine anyone? 232
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 220
- UK State pension paid in NZ 177