Partners incorporating individually
The members of an LLP are thinking of incorporating fully, but not as one limited company. Instead, each will transfer his share of the business to his own personal company, leaving a partnership comprising entirely of corporate partners - a 'CT partnership'.
They will not claim any deferral in respect of the disposal of their shares of the business and will pay the 10% CGT, thereby generating a loan account. That's the idea, anyway.
On the face of it, the figures look pretty good for a business at this level of profit, as each corporate partner draws a modest dividend to use up the basic rate band and draws the rest of his income needs as a loan repayment. Even after the loan accounts are gone, there is still a modest tax saving to be had year on year.
The use of corporate patners creates a number of (hopefully!) unconnected companies, all of which are small for corporation tax purposes - incorporation of the whole business would create a company liable for the full rate of CT.
I am aware that this structure will reduce flexibility as far as a future sale of the business to a third party is concerned. Other than that, is anyone aware of any restrictions or pitfalls to the proposed structure?
Many thanks in advance for any comments.
- Company valuation for IHT purposes 130 4
- Yorkshire Day 527 35
- Do I need a smartphone? 1,776 65
- Principal Private Residence relief on two semis knocked together 120 4
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 351 16
- Entrepreneurs relief sale of business to two different buyers?? 103 3
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 584 1
- SMP reclaimable by employer 263 7
- Agent help line - long queues? 216 4
- the umbrella scheme for PAYE 91 1
- inflation rate year on year 79 2
- Deleted question? 651 15
- Self Assessment Tax Return Required ???? 283 8
- Company no longer showing on Companies House web site 345 8
- EU VAT Registration Thresholds 143 6
- E-Magazines and pdfs 143 3
- Late annual return 199 2
- Flat rate VAT 370 8
- corporation tax 479 5
- Credit card receipts vs VAT receipts 2,140 29
- Cancelled 457
- Cancelled 380
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 372
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 350
- Probiz 350
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 254
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 231
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 224
- More spam 180
- Does anyone have SCI unit contact details? 155