Partners incorporating individually
The members of an LLP are thinking of incorporating fully, but not as one limited company. Instead, each will transfer his share of the business to his own personal company, leaving a partnership comprising entirely of corporate partners - a 'CT partnership'.
They will not claim any deferral in respect of the disposal of their shares of the business and will pay the 10% CGT, thereby generating a loan account. That's the idea, anyway.
On the face of it, the figures look pretty good for a business at this level of profit, as each corporate partner draws a modest dividend to use up the basic rate band and draws the rest of his income needs as a loan repayment. Even after the loan accounts are gone, there is still a modest tax saving to be had year on year.
The use of corporate patners creates a number of (hopefully!) unconnected companies, all of which are small for corporation tax purposes - incorporation of the whole business would create a company liable for the full rate of CT.
I am aware that this structure will reduce flexibility as far as a future sale of the business to a third party is concerned. Other than that, is anyone aware of any restrictions or pitfalls to the proposed structure?
Many thanks in advance for any comments.
- Non resident income. 445 20
- What sectors to target? 604 30
- FYAs on second-hand vans 250 7
- Rent a room scheme query. 176 3
- client can't/won't pay 1,929 41
- Self assesment online 984 11
- UKBA financial requirements for spouse visa 257 21
- Why do I do this every year 402 9
- Watch out self-assessment scam e-mail 298 5
- closing limited company 168 2
- VAT when selling on Amazon 87 1
- HMRC filing meltdown? 511 14
- Childcare voucher schemes 250 9
- IHT and US resident 59 1
- Limited Companies Merger 208 6
- Incidental costs of Acquisition for inherited property/shares 136 1
- Practice management 381 7
- IHT and cash gifts 245 5
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 561 13
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 1,609 42
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 926
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 645
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 597
- Latest phishing scam 578
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 413
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 311
- Scratch Head 239
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 230
- Sabbatical payments 195
- Negligible Value Claim 173