Partners incorporating individually
The members of an LLP are thinking of incorporating fully, but not as one limited company. Instead, each will transfer his share of the business to his own personal company, leaving a partnership comprising entirely of corporate partners - a 'CT partnership'.
They will not claim any deferral in respect of the disposal of their shares of the business and will pay the 10% CGT, thereby generating a loan account. That's the idea, anyway.
On the face of it, the figures look pretty good for a business at this level of profit, as each corporate partner draws a modest dividend to use up the basic rate band and draws the rest of his income needs as a loan repayment. Even after the loan accounts are gone, there is still a modest tax saving to be had year on year.
The use of corporate patners creates a number of (hopefully!) unconnected companies, all of which are small for corporation tax purposes - incorporation of the whole business would create a company liable for the full rate of CT.
I am aware that this structure will reduce flexibility as far as a future sale of the business to a third party is concerned. Other than that, is anyone aware of any restrictions or pitfalls to the proposed structure?
Many thanks in advance for any comments.
- Should replies on AWEB show details of the qualifications 121 4
- Personal allowance 634 14
- New Fangled Penalties 1,099 1
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 118 1
- Does Members voluntary liquidation require change of year end 88 1
- What do you all do in your spare time? 712 30
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 800 9
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 268 3
- New client has not reported director's pay by RTI 372 10
- VAT on employee loan 289 5
- Taking over from an on-line accounting firm. Any ideas? 948 18
- Charging VAT on a company loan ?. 136 2
- Accountants website 383 5
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 168 5
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 468 8
- Threshold company limited by guarantee. 100 1
- Retrospective VAT Claim 116 1
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,411 20
- SAGE 50 PAYROLL YEAR END 224 5
- Can software startup claim VAT refund during development? 176 6
- Moving away from CCH software 939
- QROP pension input amounts 431
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 375
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 346
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 313
- fraud 272
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 243
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 215
- Construction CIS LLP Company 195
- EPS and CIS deductions 188