Partners incorporating individually
The members of an LLP are thinking of incorporating fully, but not as one limited company. Instead, each will transfer his share of the business to his own personal company, leaving a partnership comprising entirely of corporate partners - a 'CT partnership'.
They will not claim any deferral in respect of the disposal of their shares of the business and will pay the 10% CGT, thereby generating a loan account. That's the idea, anyway.
On the face of it, the figures look pretty good for a business at this level of profit, as each corporate partner draws a modest dividend to use up the basic rate band and draws the rest of his income needs as a loan repayment. Even after the loan accounts are gone, there is still a modest tax saving to be had year on year.
The use of corporate patners creates a number of (hopefully!) unconnected companies, all of which are small for corporation tax purposes - incorporation of the whole business would create a company liable for the full rate of CT.
I am aware that this structure will reduce flexibility as far as a future sale of the business to a third party is concerned. Other than that, is anyone aware of any restrictions or pitfalls to the proposed structure?
Many thanks in advance for any comments.
- Share transfer question 267 10
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 406 7
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 201 5
- New Employers Helpline 126 2
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 216 5
- Overlap relief 719 19
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,287 17
- Budget 2015 - take two 187 3
- CIS Contractor has not issued tax deduction certificate to client 191 4
- VAT Query 184 2
- Sacked my first client 648 14
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 415 9
- Accounts note disclosure - Directors 227 4
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,270 24
- Director needs to withdraw 45k lump sum from company 621 11
- Trades and deadlines 146 3
- How to pay national insurance 648 18
- New Website Look 1,078 29
- Accounting for buying off bank 277 11
- Indemnity question re IR35? 235 5
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 427
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 421
- WIP Software 288
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 284
- No payroll scheme in place 220
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 218
- Software recommendations 200
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 199
- Is there anything wrong with this? 189
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 187