PAYE online payment ref problem
I have a client for whom I manage a small payroll. Each month they pay their PAYE liability online, on time. I don't believe they have ever missed a due date. However their online banking software doesn't permit the entry of a new reference for an already established payee. The choice is to either establish a whole new payment instruction for each monthly payment (and delete old ones to save clutter in the payee list) or use a generic reference for the established payment instruction. They do the latter i.e. use reference xxxPKxxxxxxxx0000 instead of the period reference in the last 4 digits.
For the last few months we have had a phone call from HMRC Collections stating that my client has not made their payment. I have to check payment details with the client and call back to tell them when the payment was made, they then seem happy.
We even had a letter last year saying that no payments had been made for the entire year and threatening legal action yet when I phoned them they readily stated that there was a £15k overpaid balance on the previous year account made up of a number of payments from the current year ! In the words of Homer Simpson DOH
Am I expecting too much of them to allocate a payment made on 18 October with a 0000 reference to be allocated to month 6 where no previous unpaid months remain ?
Does anyone else have this problem and has successfully resolved it ?
I am reluctant to tell my client they must set up a new payment each time.
- Solar Panel Income - Taxable? 180 2
- Value pricing 2,160 95
- Accountancy software for an imac 167 4
- Treatment of deferment duty in the correct accounting period 101 2
- CVA guidance 79 1
- LLP members share of profits 363 20
- SDLT on land 103 4
- Payroll Charging too much Tax? 219 2
- Can UK ACCA Practice prepare accounts for Indian company? 133 2
- why prior period posting will be single entry transaction and it wont have any balance transaction 219 3
- HMRC request for Sage Back Up 1,990 20
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 572 15
- VAT Box 7 and supplies from unregistered traders 413 13
- PAYE Coding Notices 457 7
- March RTI Submission 139 1
- VT accounts licence key 547 9
- SDLT implications on an informal lease 85 1
- Renewable Heat Incentive Income - Taxable? 113 1
- VAT Option to tax 250 1
- From Ireland. Self-Employed or Foreign Income? 109 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 880
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 614
- Free Tax Legislation? 362
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 356
- Director Loan account operation 353
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 312
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 299
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 284
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 272
- Paye procedures for CVA 203