PAYE online payment ref problem
I have a client for whom I manage a small payroll. Each month they pay their PAYE liability online, on time. I don't believe they have ever missed a due date. However their online banking software doesn't permit the entry of a new reference for an already established payee. The choice is to either establish a whole new payment instruction for each monthly payment (and delete old ones to save clutter in the payee list) or use a generic reference for the established payment instruction. They do the latter i.e. use reference xxxPKxxxxxxxx0000 instead of the period reference in the last 4 digits.
For the last few months we have had a phone call from HMRC Collections stating that my client has not made their payment. I have to check payment details with the client and call back to tell them when the payment was made, they then seem happy.
We even had a letter last year saying that no payments had been made for the entire year and threatening legal action yet when I phoned them they readily stated that there was a £15k overpaid balance on the previous year account made up of a number of payments from the current year ! In the words of Homer Simpson DOH
Am I expecting too much of them to allocate a payment made on 18 October with a 0000 reference to be allocated to month 6 where no previous unpaid months remain ?
Does anyone else have this problem and has successfully resolved it ?
I am reluctant to tell my client they must set up a new payment each time.
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 1,191 17
- Clothing 525 14
- Anybody still doing returns? 745 31
- Change to PAYE TAX CODE 153 5
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 171 7
- Parent and subsidiary... 93 2
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 349 16
- Designated sole Residence 149 2
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 723 15
- Anyone know what this is? 252 6
- HMRC filing meltdown? 900 27
- 'My colleague fills in his own Self Assessment" and he/she claims,x,y and z" 523 7
- Selling Capital Allowences from Self Employed to Ltd Buisness 269 9
- no utr 296 8
- client can't/won't pay 2,128 49
- Director drawings 609 32
- Tax Returns for non residents 296 2
- Investment properties/freehold land 91 1
- Capital Loss 136 3
- LLP formed in 2013 107 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 954
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 677
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 623
- Latest phishing scam 598
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 437
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 326
- Scratch Head 265
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 256
- Sabbatical payments 218
- Negligible Value Claim 197