PAYE online payment ref problem
I have a client for whom I manage a small payroll. Each month they pay their PAYE liability online, on time. I don't believe they have ever missed a due date. However their online banking software doesn't permit the entry of a new reference for an already established payee. The choice is to either establish a whole new payment instruction for each monthly payment (and delete old ones to save clutter in the payee list) or use a generic reference for the established payment instruction. They do the latter i.e. use reference xxxPKxxxxxxxx0000 instead of the period reference in the last 4 digits.
For the last few months we have had a phone call from HMRC Collections stating that my client has not made their payment. I have to check payment details with the client and call back to tell them when the payment was made, they then seem happy.
We even had a letter last year saying that no payments had been made for the entire year and threatening legal action yet when I phoned them they readily stated that there was a £15k overpaid balance on the previous year account made up of a number of payments from the current year ! In the words of Homer Simpson DOH
Am I expecting too much of them to allocate a payment made on 18 October with a 0000 reference to be allocated to month 6 where no previous unpaid months remain ?
Does anyone else have this problem and has successfully resolved it ?
I am reluctant to tell my client they must set up a new payment each time.
- Concerned about RTI 2014 1,599 33
- Accountant software 271 7
- Accountant Pays Clients Tax 426 7
- HMRC SPAM AGAIN 49 1
- No Prrof of Posting of Tax Return sent by Post 405 13
- Can pre-registration vat be reclaimed? 217 4
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 1,859 22
- Mileage and Corportation Tax 46 1
- Company Car Purchased in Name of Director 92 1
- Renting property to yourself 294 8
- Definition of "Ultimate Controlling Party" FRS 8 380 16
- Consolidation and subsidiaries with different period ends 93 4
- register as self employed? 111 2
- Who owns SAGE Data? 126 1
- VAT enquiry 78 1
- Write off of former director's loan 216 4
- A previous partnership, a dispute and their conduct now 248 4
- Capital gain or not? 135 3
- EC VAT 159 5
- Forecasting Software 204 2
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 634
- CIS to 5/10/13 and HMRC Computer issue 483
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 450
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 275
- How to format a stock book 229
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 194
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 182
- Tax efficient holding company structure 169
- Investment property company accounts template 159
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 150