PAYE online payment ref problem
I have a client for whom I manage a small payroll. Each month they pay their PAYE liability online, on time. I don't believe they have ever missed a due date. However their online banking software doesn't permit the entry of a new reference for an already established payee. The choice is to either establish a whole new payment instruction for each monthly payment (and delete old ones to save clutter in the payee list) or use a generic reference for the established payment instruction. They do the latter i.e. use reference xxxPKxxxxxxxx0000 instead of the period reference in the last 4 digits.
For the last few months we have had a phone call from HMRC Collections stating that my client has not made their payment. I have to check payment details with the client and call back to tell them when the payment was made, they then seem happy.
We even had a letter last year saying that no payments had been made for the entire year and threatening legal action yet when I phoned them they readily stated that there was a £15k overpaid balance on the previous year account made up of a number of payments from the current year ! In the words of Homer Simpson DOH
Am I expecting too much of them to allocate a payment made on 18 October with a 0000 reference to be allocated to month 6 where no previous unpaid months remain ?
Does anyone else have this problem and has successfully resolved it ?
I am reluctant to tell my client they must set up a new payment each time.
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 183 13
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 132 2
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 120 2
- You know its over 233 3
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 164 3
- Cocaine anyone? 463 8
- Late Registration for VAT 472 13
- EIS/SEIS 132 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 260 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 401 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 399 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 670 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 534 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 561 4
- Personal pension 392 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 215 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,200 11
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 900 27
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 140 3
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,514 22
- Hive up 483
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 448
- corporate hierarchy 430
- Advice - 267
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 219
- WWOOFers 214
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 202
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 191
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 171
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 169