PAYE online payment ref problem
I have a client for whom I manage a small payroll. Each month they pay their PAYE liability online, on time. I don't believe they have ever missed a due date. However their online banking software doesn't permit the entry of a new reference for an already established payee. The choice is to either establish a whole new payment instruction for each monthly payment (and delete old ones to save clutter in the payee list) or use a generic reference for the established payment instruction. They do the latter i.e. use reference xxxPKxxxxxxxx0000 instead of the period reference in the last 4 digits.
For the last few months we have had a phone call from HMRC Collections stating that my client has not made their payment. I have to check payment details with the client and call back to tell them when the payment was made, they then seem happy.
We even had a letter last year saying that no payments had been made for the entire year and threatening legal action yet when I phoned them they readily stated that there was a £15k overpaid balance on the previous year account made up of a number of payments from the current year ! In the words of Homer Simpson DOH
Am I expecting too much of them to allocate a payment made on 18 October with a 0000 reference to be allocated to month 6 where no previous unpaid months remain ?
Does anyone else have this problem and has successfully resolved it ?
I am reluctant to tell my client they must set up a new payment each time.
- VAT flat rate scheme 177 3
- Tax relief for backdated pension contributions 252 8
- Client cash balances, on or off-balance sheet for full service brokerage firm 234 4
- Client information from previous accountant 77 1
- Closing down - who should buy whom? 95 2
- How long do legal aid take to pay? 80 1
- Two questions re client meetings and TR Fees 364 5
- Personal Pension Withdrawal 218 2
- Liability account to deal with loans from owner 136 5
- Failure to operate PAYE 1,659 31
- PAYE NI 115 2
- quote for winding down two companies and file accounts 121 1
- SA302s - Lenders to accept non hmrc copies 822 14
- How much to charge? 702 10
- break even point 1,007 30
- Trustee in Bankruptcy 180 5
- Accomodation and travel 206 1
- Unpaid Fee's 357 6
- Issue with a software supplier 242 4
- Is there a requirement to clearly state the amount of a bill? 318 5
- Possible Partnership? 514
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 497
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 469
- New Fangled Penalties 310
- Clubs and Taxable Income 261
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 258
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 251
- Loans to other companies 193
- Tasbook email configuration 186
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 170