PAYE online payment ref problem
I have a client for whom I manage a small payroll. Each month they pay their PAYE liability online, on time. I don't believe they have ever missed a due date. However their online banking software doesn't permit the entry of a new reference for an already established payee. The choice is to either establish a whole new payment instruction for each monthly payment (and delete old ones to save clutter in the payee list) or use a generic reference for the established payment instruction. They do the latter i.e. use reference xxxPKxxxxxxxx0000 instead of the period reference in the last 4 digits.
For the last few months we have had a phone call from HMRC Collections stating that my client has not made their payment. I have to check payment details with the client and call back to tell them when the payment was made, they then seem happy.
We even had a letter last year saying that no payments had been made for the entire year and threatening legal action yet when I phoned them they readily stated that there was a £15k overpaid balance on the previous year account made up of a number of payments from the current year ! In the words of Homer Simpson DOH
Am I expecting too much of them to allocate a payment made on 18 October with a 0000 reference to be allocated to month 6 where no previous unpaid months remain ?
Does anyone else have this problem and has successfully resolved it ?
I am reluctant to tell my client they must set up a new payment each time.
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 642 10
- CGT allowable expenditure 29 2
- error on companies house accounts 811 19
- Can a company act like a charity, without being a registered charity? 29 1
- Amend this years FPS's - any HMRC penalties? 36 1
- Are these allowable capital expenditures for a jewellery retail shop? 438 13
- Working in Australia and using allowance in UK? 39 1
- Group Relief 163 4
- New shareholder 269 4
- Newly Started Practice 800 16
- Moneysoft update problem 101 1
- HMRC stupidity of the day 331 3
- Directors obligation to notify 239 2
- Bookkeeping software for cafe and VAT 243 4
- Clients 831 17
- Practice Company Secretarial Software recommendations please 272 5
- Lets hear it for HMRC! 392 3
- Don't HMRC collect CT anymore? 374 2
- Sage Payroll 201 4
- PAYROLL - SAGE v Microsoft Payroll Manager 199 3
- QROP pension input amounts 506
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 495
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 451
- EPS and CIS deductions 314
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 300
- Construction CIS LLP Company 292
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 262
- SAGE winforecast 210
- Tax Investigation - Employee Travel 199
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 196