PAYE online payment ref problem
I have a client for whom I manage a small payroll. Each month they pay their PAYE liability online, on time. I don't believe they have ever missed a due date. However their online banking software doesn't permit the entry of a new reference for an already established payee. The choice is to either establish a whole new payment instruction for each monthly payment (and delete old ones to save clutter in the payee list) or use a generic reference for the established payment instruction. They do the latter i.e. use reference xxxPKxxxxxxxx0000 instead of the period reference in the last 4 digits.
For the last few months we have had a phone call from HMRC Collections stating that my client has not made their payment. I have to check payment details with the client and call back to tell them when the payment was made, they then seem happy.
We even had a letter last year saying that no payments had been made for the entire year and threatening legal action yet when I phoned them they readily stated that there was a £15k overpaid balance on the previous year account made up of a number of payments from the current year ! In the words of Homer Simpson DOH
Am I expecting too much of them to allocate a payment made on 18 October with a 0000 reference to be allocated to month 6 where no previous unpaid months remain ?
Does anyone else have this problem and has successfully resolved it ?
I am reluctant to tell my client they must set up a new payment each time.
- Abbreviated accounts Companies House 29 1
- Do accountants work at home? 55 1
- Sage 50 accounts 55 2
- Keeping disastrous accounts 502 6
- Where has Portia gone? 5,612 117
- What do people do with signed accounts/engagement letters/tax returns? 453 12
- Help 411 13
- Can a trust benefit from PPR 670 5
- Is a new PAYE scheme needed for incorporated business? 89 3
- P11D Expenses Claims 92 1
- Lost "thanks" 160 2
- Moneysoft or Sage payroll with auto enrolment? 366 7
- OMG HMRC !!!! Employ some ppl!! 832 14
- VAT Exemptions for Dance Education 173 3
- Stock of photos to capatilise 445 18
- Anyone used the firm 'More Clients 4 U? 265 6
- Practice management software 1,173 22
- What is the correct Vat treatment and rate to use to record a business stay in a hotel in the EU? 200 2
- On the high seas 202 3
- US Company charging VAT. How to account 118 1
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 861
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 452
- Sanzar 353
- How do you do it 343
- Digital marketing focus group 316
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 300
- Bed & Breakfast trade via Limited Company 215
- Fit for purpose 204
- new investor structure 203
- VAT Registration 184