PAYE online payment ref problem
I have a client for whom I manage a small payroll. Each month they pay their PAYE liability online, on time. I don't believe they have ever missed a due date. However their online banking software doesn't permit the entry of a new reference for an already established payee. The choice is to either establish a whole new payment instruction for each monthly payment (and delete old ones to save clutter in the payee list) or use a generic reference for the established payment instruction. They do the latter i.e. use reference xxxPKxxxxxxxx0000 instead of the period reference in the last 4 digits.
For the last few months we have had a phone call from HMRC Collections stating that my client has not made their payment. I have to check payment details with the client and call back to tell them when the payment was made, they then seem happy.
We even had a letter last year saying that no payments had been made for the entire year and threatening legal action yet when I phoned them they readily stated that there was a £15k overpaid balance on the previous year account made up of a number of payments from the current year ! In the words of Homer Simpson DOH
Am I expecting too much of them to allocate a payment made on 18 October with a 0000 reference to be allocated to month 6 where no previous unpaid months remain ?
Does anyone else have this problem and has successfully resolved it ?
I am reluctant to tell my client they must set up a new payment each time.
- Subsistence expenses for one man band contractor companies 81 2
- Working from home - time apportionment 283 3
- Recovering VAT on property purchase 202 2
- cross border vat 107 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 12,889 488
- What code do you put expenses under such as tea & coffee? 755 17
- How to prove to HMRC that you was not self employed? 248 12
- Can't read my handwriting 623 15
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,646 74
- Employing a carer 115 1
- Fees for Property Tax Return 527 16
- PRR 441 14
- Sage Line50 Journal Entry Help! 212 13
- Corp Tax Refund 166 2
- Email hacker for hire ... 386 8
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 275 8
- IFRS and UK GAAP Adjustment Jrnls 79 2
- Donaldson V HMRC 228 1
- Audit partner? 272 6
- Losses on FHL Property 116 1
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,371
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 516
- National Insurance 407
- Non Resident 317
- Hands on experience of Digita 244
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 220
- Employer's Helpline 186
- CIS paid under reg 9 181
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 149
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 144