PAYE online payment ref problem
I have a client for whom I manage a small payroll. Each month they pay their PAYE liability online, on time. I don't believe they have ever missed a due date. However their online banking software doesn't permit the entry of a new reference for an already established payee. The choice is to either establish a whole new payment instruction for each monthly payment (and delete old ones to save clutter in the payee list) or use a generic reference for the established payment instruction. They do the latter i.e. use reference xxxPKxxxxxxxx0000 instead of the period reference in the last 4 digits.
For the last few months we have had a phone call from HMRC Collections stating that my client has not made their payment. I have to check payment details with the client and call back to tell them when the payment was made, they then seem happy.
We even had a letter last year saying that no payments had been made for the entire year and threatening legal action yet when I phoned them they readily stated that there was a £15k overpaid balance on the previous year account made up of a number of payments from the current year ! In the words of Homer Simpson DOH
Am I expecting too much of them to allocate a payment made on 18 October with a 0000 reference to be allocated to month 6 where no previous unpaid months remain ?
Does anyone else have this problem and has successfully resolved it ?
I am reluctant to tell my client they must set up a new payment each time.
- No Tax Returns submitted for last 16 years 1,012 24
- Pricing 305 10
- Late VAT registration penalty 227 5
- Partially exempt? 216 7
- Mexican student in UK 87 1
- Dividend in specie 174 3
- VAT on imports and the Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 138 7
- Lorry Drivers 91 1
- VAT 110 2
- QuickBooks, Xero, FreeAgent and ClearBooks 830 18
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 599 7
- Rental Income Tax Planning 198 3
- Vat 75 2
- Auto-Enrolment 3,814 184
- Method for filing 2013/14 payroll? 118 2
- Incorporation Relief 121 2
- First VAT Visit for client 136 2
- Accounting Practice acting as an employment agency 249 11
- capital gains on PPR 1,441 21
- cost of moving out for a few weeks 326 9
- Skandia using wrong address 470
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 272
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 266
- Employee rewards 256
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 216
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 212
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 209
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 196
- Etax Australian 165
- Annual Management Charge Rebates and Self Assessment Tax Return 155