PAYE online payment ref problem
I have a client for whom I manage a small payroll. Each month they pay their PAYE liability online, on time. I don't believe they have ever missed a due date. However their online banking software doesn't permit the entry of a new reference for an already established payee. The choice is to either establish a whole new payment instruction for each monthly payment (and delete old ones to save clutter in the payee list) or use a generic reference for the established payment instruction. They do the latter i.e. use reference xxxPKxxxxxxxx0000 instead of the period reference in the last 4 digits.
For the last few months we have had a phone call from HMRC Collections stating that my client has not made their payment. I have to check payment details with the client and call back to tell them when the payment was made, they then seem happy.
We even had a letter last year saying that no payments had been made for the entire year and threatening legal action yet when I phoned them they readily stated that there was a £15k overpaid balance on the previous year account made up of a number of payments from the current year ! In the words of Homer Simpson DOH
Am I expecting too much of them to allocate a payment made on 18 October with a 0000 reference to be allocated to month 6 where no previous unpaid months remain ?
Does anyone else have this problem and has successfully resolved it ?
I am reluctant to tell my client they must set up a new payment each time.
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 2,638 54
- Personal Allowance for non residents 367 9
- Vat 86 3
- PAYE 101 3
- xerocon 71 1
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,098 10
- Unemployed Accounting Graduate - Need Advice - Small Firms 156 1
- VAT: option to tax 114 2
- IHT dilemma 301 11
- Share Valuation 68 2
- Dormant company or not? 320 13
- VAT - Land Related Services 97 1
- Best form of debt recovery 171 3
- Backdating VAT claim 54 1
- WIP recognition for builders 378 8
- Do I need to keep subscribing to CIMA post qualification? 314 15
- BTL property solely in wife's name - can she split rental income with husband? 197 5
- Prior Year Adjustments 124 2
- Share Issue 220 1
- Payment of Capital from and LLP and Corporate member 152 11
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 658
- Property let at a reduced rate - losses brought forward 523
- Auto enrolment excuses 505
- Removed post 372
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 350
- Social investment tax relief 162
- Patent Box and worldwide patents 156
- Call Centre Data Costs 156
- Digita Hosted Software 141
- option to tax 127