PAYE online payment ref problem
I have a client for whom I manage a small payroll. Each month they pay their PAYE liability online, on time. I don't believe they have ever missed a due date. However their online banking software doesn't permit the entry of a new reference for an already established payee. The choice is to either establish a whole new payment instruction for each monthly payment (and delete old ones to save clutter in the payee list) or use a generic reference for the established payment instruction. They do the latter i.e. use reference xxxPKxxxxxxxx0000 instead of the period reference in the last 4 digits.
For the last few months we have had a phone call from HMRC Collections stating that my client has not made their payment. I have to check payment details with the client and call back to tell them when the payment was made, they then seem happy.
We even had a letter last year saying that no payments had been made for the entire year and threatening legal action yet when I phoned them they readily stated that there was a £15k overpaid balance on the previous year account made up of a number of payments from the current year ! In the words of Homer Simpson DOH
Am I expecting too much of them to allocate a payment made on 18 October with a 0000 reference to be allocated to month 6 where no previous unpaid months remain ?
Does anyone else have this problem and has successfully resolved it ?
I am reluctant to tell my client they must set up a new payment each time.
- Accountants' Error 686 13
- ICPA taxwise fee protection 141 3
- Scoot 174 4
- Zero Rated VAT on New Building 146 2
- Tax code for Companies House fees 193 3
- G'day IPA-IFA 660 11
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,446 20
- VAT customer is registered in France, goods shipped to the UK 105 1
- Regaining my qualification 194 2
- Self-Assessment - NIC Exemption 234 2
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 222 2
- Auto enrolment 190 3
- Shareholder agreement 170 3
- Tax treatment of cashed in American Savings Plan 194 3
- Company Reorganisation 162 3
- Employee Loan 205 2
- IRIS - Personal Tax - 2013/14 - Page UKP2 464 15
- Statutory residence test - transit days 588 5
- CGT - Is a calculation required now? 145 1
- Wear and tear allowance 463 6
- Skandia using wrong address 1,449
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 760
- Any views 694
- HMRC Employers Diary 521
- International interest certificate 423
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 387
- Sale of business 353
- NOVA 259
- Advertising services? 252
- IRIS Open Books problem 242