PAYE online payment ref problem
I have a client for whom I manage a small payroll. Each month they pay their PAYE liability online, on time. I don't believe they have ever missed a due date. However their online banking software doesn't permit the entry of a new reference for an already established payee. The choice is to either establish a whole new payment instruction for each monthly payment (and delete old ones to save clutter in the payee list) or use a generic reference for the established payment instruction. They do the latter i.e. use reference xxxPKxxxxxxxx0000 instead of the period reference in the last 4 digits.
For the last few months we have had a phone call from HMRC Collections stating that my client has not made their payment. I have to check payment details with the client and call back to tell them when the payment was made, they then seem happy.
We even had a letter last year saying that no payments had been made for the entire year and threatening legal action yet when I phoned them they readily stated that there was a £15k overpaid balance on the previous year account made up of a number of payments from the current year ! In the words of Homer Simpson DOH
Am I expecting too much of them to allocate a payment made on 18 October with a 0000 reference to be allocated to month 6 where no previous unpaid months remain ?
Does anyone else have this problem and has successfully resolved it ?
I am reluctant to tell my client they must set up a new payment each time.
- Self assessment tax arrears 12 1
- Go Cardless 198 6
- R & D 86 3
- Scottish independence - what happens to HMRC? 838 50
- Disengaging a client who uses our office as a registered office address 724 16
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 188 1
- Shareholder/Directors termination payments 43 1
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 83 2
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 94 3
- Payroll software with annual pay period? 84 1
- New Business Registration 192 5
- Audit rules 126 3
- Hosted email exchange 107 4
- Excel formula for UK corporation tax including losses 117 1
- G P life time allowance 92 3
- Why will HMRC not code out my client's £1,730 underpayment for 12/13 351 11
- Bringing money to Uk 196 3
- How can I tell what returns are outstanding on HMRC online? 103 1
- Accounting for investment club gains 103 2
- Moving from Sage payroll to Iris Payroll 190 5
- Xtuple 492
- Qtac payroll for bureau 331
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 275
- Industrial & Provident Societies 271
- Mehjoo 213
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 213
- New strategic report 167
- Domain name sale and limited company 151
- South African Government Pension 147
- CIS schemes 141