PAYE online payment ref problem
I have a client for whom I manage a small payroll. Each month they pay their PAYE liability online, on time. I don't believe they have ever missed a due date. However their online banking software doesn't permit the entry of a new reference for an already established payee. The choice is to either establish a whole new payment instruction for each monthly payment (and delete old ones to save clutter in the payee list) or use a generic reference for the established payment instruction. They do the latter i.e. use reference xxxPKxxxxxxxx0000 instead of the period reference in the last 4 digits.
For the last few months we have had a phone call from HMRC Collections stating that my client has not made their payment. I have to check payment details with the client and call back to tell them when the payment was made, they then seem happy.
We even had a letter last year saying that no payments had been made for the entire year and threatening legal action yet when I phoned them they readily stated that there was a £15k overpaid balance on the previous year account made up of a number of payments from the current year ! In the words of Homer Simpson DOH
Am I expecting too much of them to allocate a payment made on 18 October with a 0000 reference to be allocated to month 6 where no previous unpaid months remain ?
Does anyone else have this problem and has successfully resolved it ?
I am reluctant to tell my client they must set up a new payment each time.
- VAT on goods never entered the UK 123 6
- How much did you pay for your website 1,337 22
- Help Required 86 1
- Is a dormant CT600 needed? 132 2
- Accountancy work for Farmers 432 15
- What would you do in this situation? 320 9
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 809 25
- Who would you nominate for a Practice Excellence Award? 543 6
- Project being run jointly 63 1
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 268 12
- Company Name - Number of Characters 223 6
- Lloyds bank ... 325 5
- Sole trader mix up 203 2
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 122 4
- Correct treatment when one company absorbs another 127 4
- Recharging VAT 171 6
- Rent a room when not living there 945 7
- Helping out a friend 251 7
- Dealing with VAT on invoices received after VAT return submitted 225 3
- Tax Allowance on University Course 1,888 10
- CTA study material 682
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 411
- Employment related securities question 258
- AIM Stocks and IHT 234
- ATED Penalties 234
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 189
- Trust for Employee 173
- Expat pension contributions? 167
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 136
- Reclaiming overpaid employer NI contributions 122