PAYE online payment ref problem
I have a client for whom I manage a small payroll. Each month they pay their PAYE liability online, on time. I don't believe they have ever missed a due date. However their online banking software doesn't permit the entry of a new reference for an already established payee. The choice is to either establish a whole new payment instruction for each monthly payment (and delete old ones to save clutter in the payee list) or use a generic reference for the established payment instruction. They do the latter i.e. use reference xxxPKxxxxxxxx0000 instead of the period reference in the last 4 digits.
For the last few months we have had a phone call from HMRC Collections stating that my client has not made their payment. I have to check payment details with the client and call back to tell them when the payment was made, they then seem happy.
We even had a letter last year saying that no payments had been made for the entire year and threatening legal action yet when I phoned them they readily stated that there was a £15k overpaid balance on the previous year account made up of a number of payments from the current year ! In the words of Homer Simpson DOH
Am I expecting too much of them to allocate a payment made on 18 October with a 0000 reference to be allocated to month 6 where no previous unpaid months remain ?
Does anyone else have this problem and has successfully resolved it ?
I am reluctant to tell my client they must set up a new payment each time.
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 561 9
- Payment on account penalties 143 4
- How much did you pay for your website 1,700 29
- any implications of this type of transaction 73 2
- Mem & Arts - Multiple Share Classes & Rights 56 1
- Does IR35 apply? 94 1
- Capital allowances or revenue is capital? 114 1
- Sage 50 cost centre limitations 105 3
- What font do you prefer to use for correspondence? 295 11
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 1,036 13
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 269 7
- Sage data 110 1
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 424 9
- Limited company buying a car 365 6
- Funding Circle experience 165 3
- Excel query 131 2
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,303 13
- Tax on free shares 156 5
- Flat Rate Vat 14.5% and 5% reduced rate VAT 212 3
- Capital allowances on sale and puchase of business assets 132 1
- CTA study material 809
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 499
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 462
- Employment related securities question 326
- AIM Stocks and IHT 313
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 285
- Expat pension contributions? 284
- Trust for Employee 258
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 240
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 162