PAYE online payment ref problem
I have a client for whom I manage a small payroll. Each month they pay their PAYE liability online, on time. I don't believe they have ever missed a due date. However their online banking software doesn't permit the entry of a new reference for an already established payee. The choice is to either establish a whole new payment instruction for each monthly payment (and delete old ones to save clutter in the payee list) or use a generic reference for the established payment instruction. They do the latter i.e. use reference xxxPKxxxxxxxx0000 instead of the period reference in the last 4 digits.
For the last few months we have had a phone call from HMRC Collections stating that my client has not made their payment. I have to check payment details with the client and call back to tell them when the payment was made, they then seem happy.
We even had a letter last year saying that no payments had been made for the entire year and threatening legal action yet when I phoned them they readily stated that there was a £15k overpaid balance on the previous year account made up of a number of payments from the current year ! In the words of Homer Simpson DOH
Am I expecting too much of them to allocate a payment made on 18 October with a 0000 reference to be allocated to month 6 where no previous unpaid months remain ?
Does anyone else have this problem and has successfully resolved it ?
I am reluctant to tell my client they must set up a new payment each time.
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 232 8
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 105 2
- Non VAT invoices 104 2
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 240 8
- Time to ditch Sage? 92 1
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,347 32
- Fees 114 1
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 233 5
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 173 2
- Form 17 Download 92 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 533 28
- Small hotel - food for personal use 366 4
- HMRC Information notice 982 24
- Recommendations for online payroll software 264 3
- Accountant Specialization. 369 5
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,744 42
- Sage Line 50 168 3
- Off topic slightly - any football fans out there? 174 1
- Can my company contibute more than 40000 to my pension in a tax year? 443 6
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 388 7
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 751
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 410
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 362
- Electric Car 297
- S222 Charge 243
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 202
- IP trans to holding company 192
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 180
- AIA 175
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 173