PAYE online payment ref problem
I have a client for whom I manage a small payroll. Each month they pay their PAYE liability online, on time. I don't believe they have ever missed a due date. However their online banking software doesn't permit the entry of a new reference for an already established payee. The choice is to either establish a whole new payment instruction for each monthly payment (and delete old ones to save clutter in the payee list) or use a generic reference for the established payment instruction. They do the latter i.e. use reference xxxPKxxxxxxxx0000 instead of the period reference in the last 4 digits.
For the last few months we have had a phone call from HMRC Collections stating that my client has not made their payment. I have to check payment details with the client and call back to tell them when the payment was made, they then seem happy.
We even had a letter last year saying that no payments had been made for the entire year and threatening legal action yet when I phoned them they readily stated that there was a £15k overpaid balance on the previous year account made up of a number of payments from the current year ! In the words of Homer Simpson DOH
Am I expecting too much of them to allocate a payment made on 18 October with a 0000 reference to be allocated to month 6 where no previous unpaid months remain ?
Does anyone else have this problem and has successfully resolved it ?
I am reluctant to tell my client they must set up a new payment each time.
- When to top-up pensions? 214 3
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,832 41
- Coming off flat rate VAT 156 1
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 201 6
- Auto Enrolment - Help each other by sharing known problems 732 14
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 813 1
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 484 10
- Real time 209 2
- Withdrawal of a quote 448 7
- Opt To Tax Refund 264 3
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 264 2
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 242 5
- New (non resident) client not filed in 20 years 618 15
- Support / ticketing software 341 11
- Are Tax Agents designed out of online systems? 339 3
- Imported goods and VAT 161 1
- Annual Return for company for whom director/shareholder has died 448 15
- Divorcing husband, both 50% owners of a Ltd business 603 11
- Stamp Duty 211 3
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,880 22
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 474
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 291
- DTA tie-breaker issue 282
- CGT for NOn UK residents 246
- Apprenticeship Levy 221
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 221
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 214
- Just checking re PSA 199
- Capital Gains personal representatives 197
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 184