PAYE online payment ref problem
I have a client for whom I manage a small payroll. Each month they pay their PAYE liability online, on time. I don't believe they have ever missed a due date. However their online banking software doesn't permit the entry of a new reference for an already established payee. The choice is to either establish a whole new payment instruction for each monthly payment (and delete old ones to save clutter in the payee list) or use a generic reference for the established payment instruction. They do the latter i.e. use reference xxxPKxxxxxxxx0000 instead of the period reference in the last 4 digits.
For the last few months we have had a phone call from HMRC Collections stating that my client has not made their payment. I have to check payment details with the client and call back to tell them when the payment was made, they then seem happy.
We even had a letter last year saying that no payments had been made for the entire year and threatening legal action yet when I phoned them they readily stated that there was a £15k overpaid balance on the previous year account made up of a number of payments from the current year ! In the words of Homer Simpson DOH
Am I expecting too much of them to allocate a payment made on 18 October with a 0000 reference to be allocated to month 6 where no previous unpaid months remain ?
Does anyone else have this problem and has successfully resolved it ?
I am reluctant to tell my client they must set up a new payment each time.
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 282 9
- Sage 50 re-key - VAT problem 195 4
- State pension 266 3
- Using profits from Ltd company as start up funds for new venture 212 6
- 27,000 Really? 963 28
- Accountancy Career 65 1
- CIC Company 647 13
- pension paid by company? 48 1
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,803 22
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,245 66
- Deduction from Salary 628 15
- inheritance tax 366 11
- Bank account of a different company being used for transactions. 418 5
- Group Audit Thresholds 349 10
- One off meeting new client 1,677 16
- Legal title not in the company name 752 22
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 284 3
- Awkward insolvency practitioner 531 4
- NALS Accountants Report 350 5
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,235 44
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 639
- Cancelled 392
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 353
- Cancelled 333
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 306
- Probiz 300
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 277
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 256
- How not to compose an email 225
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 221