PAYE online payment ref problem
I have a client for whom I manage a small payroll. Each month they pay their PAYE liability online, on time. I don't believe they have ever missed a due date. However their online banking software doesn't permit the entry of a new reference for an already established payee. The choice is to either establish a whole new payment instruction for each monthly payment (and delete old ones to save clutter in the payee list) or use a generic reference for the established payment instruction. They do the latter i.e. use reference xxxPKxxxxxxxx0000 instead of the period reference in the last 4 digits.
For the last few months we have had a phone call from HMRC Collections stating that my client has not made their payment. I have to check payment details with the client and call back to tell them when the payment was made, they then seem happy.
We even had a letter last year saying that no payments had been made for the entire year and threatening legal action yet when I phoned them they readily stated that there was a £15k overpaid balance on the previous year account made up of a number of payments from the current year ! In the words of Homer Simpson DOH
Am I expecting too much of them to allocate a payment made on 18 October with a 0000 reference to be allocated to month 6 where no previous unpaid months remain ?
Does anyone else have this problem and has successfully resolved it ?
I am reluctant to tell my client they must set up a new payment each time.
- Microsoft One Drive 242 8
- Capital Allowances for cars/hackney carriages 83 2
- Travel expenses for director - flight 375 4
- Invoices 112 1
- Not a question but made my day 610 14
- Accounts Package 261 8
- Question about VAT Group Registration 115 1
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 647 18
- Does reputation of a tax agent affect likelihood of a HMRC audit 248 3
- Reclaim VAT charged by US company 265 3
- Repayment of Share Capital 402 8
- VAT on property 129 1
- To make a claim against my PI insurer 285 4
- PPR ELECTION 315 9
- Late night meals self employed 370 2
- Auto enrolment pension scheme set up 424 9
- EBT Self Assessment Return 272 1
- Is there a way around new dividend tax changes? 2,888 18
- Vat Exemption moving to a partnership 134 1
- Is it okay to make full time drivers self employed? 1,887 25
- NHS finance professionals 572
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 378
- Foreign Pension Contribution 348
- Fines for late submission of the RDR 330
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 311
- vat gross profit percentage margins 308
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 287
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 252
- Thinning income 233
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 204