PAYE online payment ref problem
I have a client for whom I manage a small payroll. Each month they pay their PAYE liability online, on time. I don't believe they have ever missed a due date. However their online banking software doesn't permit the entry of a new reference for an already established payee. The choice is to either establish a whole new payment instruction for each monthly payment (and delete old ones to save clutter in the payee list) or use a generic reference for the established payment instruction. They do the latter i.e. use reference xxxPKxxxxxxxx0000 instead of the period reference in the last 4 digits.
For the last few months we have had a phone call from HMRC Collections stating that my client has not made their payment. I have to check payment details with the client and call back to tell them when the payment was made, they then seem happy.
We even had a letter last year saying that no payments had been made for the entire year and threatening legal action yet when I phoned them they readily stated that there was a £15k overpaid balance on the previous year account made up of a number of payments from the current year ! In the words of Homer Simpson DOH
Am I expecting too much of them to allocate a payment made on 18 October with a 0000 reference to be allocated to month 6 where no previous unpaid months remain ?
Does anyone else have this problem and has successfully resolved it ?
I am reluctant to tell my client they must set up a new payment each time.
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 203 6
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 134 7
- Moneysoft Payroll Windows 8.1 Woes - Help! 1,009 18
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 17 1
- SA302's anyone?? 438 15
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 1,424 17
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 667 23
- Deed of variation on a will & effect on tax returns 81 2
- Renting for military reasons 72 1
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 88 1
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 206 3
- do i pay vat when buying a business 473 25
- Auto enrolment for one or two director companies 1,965 30
- Tax status of prizes 299 17
- Accounting for a finance lease 69 2
- Clogged Losses 238 4
- Import Sales Invoices into Sage Instant 297 5
- Are Sage finally getting it's act together? 238 2
- Receiving dividends from a pension fund? 102 5
- Partnership to LLP - Capital Contribution 165 3
- Skandia using wrong address 1,610
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 892
- International interest certificate 502
- NOVA 365
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 274
- Bonus Bonds 256
- Management expenses for investment company 255
- Help with tax codes on Sage 203
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 167
- tax on apprenticeship income 158