PAYE online payment ref problem
I have a client for whom I manage a small payroll. Each month they pay their PAYE liability online, on time. I don't believe they have ever missed a due date. However their online banking software doesn't permit the entry of a new reference for an already established payee. The choice is to either establish a whole new payment instruction for each monthly payment (and delete old ones to save clutter in the payee list) or use a generic reference for the established payment instruction. They do the latter i.e. use reference xxxPKxxxxxxxx0000 instead of the period reference in the last 4 digits.
For the last few months we have had a phone call from HMRC Collections stating that my client has not made their payment. I have to check payment details with the client and call back to tell them when the payment was made, they then seem happy.
We even had a letter last year saying that no payments had been made for the entire year and threatening legal action yet when I phoned them they readily stated that there was a £15k overpaid balance on the previous year account made up of a number of payments from the current year ! In the words of Homer Simpson DOH
Am I expecting too much of them to allocate a payment made on 18 October with a 0000 reference to be allocated to month 6 where no previous unpaid months remain ?
Does anyone else have this problem and has successfully resolved it ?
I am reluctant to tell my client they must set up a new payment each time.
- Does anyone have an old version of Sage for sale? 38 2
- flat rate scheme 2,276 43
- Deferring dividends on paper 99 5
- VAT Query on new build 50 1
- Restriction of trading loss and overlap relief 115 1
- CIC Abbreviated Accounts 133 4
- Family Partnership 215 5
- How to format Co-operative Accounts 47 1
- P11D Car Value 238 6
- Signed accounts for bank 603 12
- NOVA declaration 93 1
- Business valuation advice 701 18
- Auto enrolment: What’s your plan? 1,483 16
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 1,218 23
- Can anybody recommend any software 271 2
- Stand alone practice management software 2,093 26
- 2011 Self Assessment Tax return form 158 1
- dividend date - whose income is it? 379 5
- What route into accountancy would you recommend? 797 11
- HMRC Postal Delays 442 10