I have been using Moneysoft payroll manager for several years. I find it very easy to use, has a great help desk for the odd time you need it and is good value for money. I have recommended it to many clients and associates.
However I believe there is a fundemental problem with the software that the help desk will not acknowledge. There are instances when you can overwrite locked and paid periods without even knowing.
For instance I did the payroll for the month of October, inputting sick pay to the 31 October as per sick line. I made payment for October and then locked the period. When doing Novembers pay the employee bring in sick note for November. I enter this in the system then pay and Lock Novembers. By chance I notice that Octobers pay statement has been changed adding in the sick pay for 1 to 5 November and adjusting tax and NI. So I paid the wrong amount in October to the employee and paid the wrong amount of PAYE to HMRC.
Do other payroll packages have the same problem?
I dont believe it should be possible to overwrite a LOCKED month or at least a warning should be given stating that if you proceed this will result in overwritting locked periods. The help desk dont seem to think this is possible and dont seem to think this is a problem.
Has anyone else experienced this problem and how do they avoid it?
I believe this will hapen to others and the first they will be aware of a problem is at the year end when HMRC send an under or over payment notice, and you may have no idea why there is a difference.
- Claiming depreciation on a company vehicle 87 6
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 320 11
- What code do you put expenses under such as tea & coffee? 107 3
- Pension Contributions Relief 481 15
- capital gains on PPR 204 11
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 508 8
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,759 440
- 100% Xero practice 2,459 46
- Fees for Property Tax Return 213 6
- Can I calculate a total amount on my freelance tax relief? 134 1
- Separating business for VAT purposes 135 2
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 285 9
- PRR 359 13
- 40% rule for travel expenses 395 11
- Cash injection by shareholder 308 7
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,262 62
- Do I need a 13digit tax ref for a ct600 350 6
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 434 20
- How to pursue fraudulent trading 363 5
- Is it more beneficial to be a Ltd company? 253 3
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,314
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 476
- National Insurance 369
- Non Resident 296
- Franchise income and costs 260
- Hands on experience of Digita 214
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 191
- Employer's Helpline 165
- employment capital allowances 160
- CIS paid under reg 9 156