I have been using Moneysoft payroll manager for several years. I find it very easy to use, has a great help desk for the odd time you need it and is good value for money. I have recommended it to many clients and associates.
However I believe there is a fundemental problem with the software that the help desk will not acknowledge. There are instances when you can overwrite locked and paid periods without even knowing.
For instance I did the payroll for the month of October, inputting sick pay to the 31 October as per sick line. I made payment for October and then locked the period. When doing Novembers pay the employee bring in sick note for November. I enter this in the system then pay and Lock Novembers. By chance I notice that Octobers pay statement has been changed adding in the sick pay for 1 to 5 November and adjusting tax and NI. So I paid the wrong amount in October to the employee and paid the wrong amount of PAYE to HMRC.
Do other payroll packages have the same problem?
I dont believe it should be possible to overwrite a LOCKED month or at least a warning should be given stating that if you proceed this will result in overwritting locked periods. The help desk dont seem to think this is possible and dont seem to think this is a problem.
Has anyone else experienced this problem and how do they avoid it?
I believe this will hapen to others and the first they will be aware of a problem is at the year end when HMRC send an under or over payment notice, and you may have no idea why there is a difference.
- Should I move back home away from my office? 329 7
- Director Personal Bank Account in company's books 434 8
- Sage payroll alternatives 597 12
- More AE! 639 14
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 46 1
- IT advisory questions? 86 4
- Moneysoft and People's Pension 74 4
- Entrepreneurs Relief 746 41
- PAYE 1,559 17
- Ceasing in membership of ATT 472 6
- Scanners 74 1
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 1,087 16
- Relevance of UK Residency 108 2
- VAT Tax Point - Overseas Purchase 108 3
- Invoice dispute 583 5
- DAILY PENALTIES / APPEALS 257 2
- Construction Industry Allowable expenses 421 9
- Property inheritance by overseas resident 95 1
- 2013-14 Tax Return-Transparent Benchmarks? 128 1
- IHT dilemma 1,337 20
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,139
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 790
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 476
- Digita Hosted Software 313
- Credit where credit's due....... 253
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 219
- Director phone costs 217
- General rule: Evidence that the customer is in business 187
- Warning for freeagent accountants using payroll import 160
- What to say to Tom, Dick and Harry... 151