I have been using Moneysoft payroll manager for several years. I find it very easy to use, has a great help desk for the odd time you need it and is good value for money. I have recommended it to many clients and associates.
However I believe there is a fundemental problem with the software that the help desk will not acknowledge. There are instances when you can overwrite locked and paid periods without even knowing.
For instance I did the payroll for the month of October, inputting sick pay to the 31 October as per sick line. I made payment for October and then locked the period. When doing Novembers pay the employee bring in sick note for November. I enter this in the system then pay and Lock Novembers. By chance I notice that Octobers pay statement has been changed adding in the sick pay for 1 to 5 November and adjusting tax and NI. So I paid the wrong amount in October to the employee and paid the wrong amount of PAYE to HMRC.
Do other payroll packages have the same problem?
I dont believe it should be possible to overwrite a LOCKED month or at least a warning should be given stating that if you proceed this will result in overwritting locked periods. The help desk dont seem to think this is possible and dont seem to think this is a problem.
Has anyone else experienced this problem and how do they avoid it?
I believe this will hapen to others and the first they will be aware of a problem is at the year end when HMRC send an under or over payment notice, and you may have no idea why there is a difference.
- BrightPay 661 22
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 389 1
- 3 Days Grace for late FPS's? 216 3
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 414 8
- Abolish the penalty regime 155 4
- Gift or Capital Gain? 363 11
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 363 8
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 345 8
- SDLT on leases 124 1
- Is practising Certificate needed 370 7
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 935 26
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 296 4
- IHT Query 173 3
- Statutary sick pay 209 1
- How much?? (ACCA rules on practice insurance) 302 4
- Director Salary 363 2
- Does anyone know how to deal with crowd funding income 303 7
- Capital Gain? 436 11
- Reversing out RTI 230 5
- When should i raise VAT invoice after pro-forma payment received? 314 9
- Possible Partnership? 449
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 427
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 417
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 220
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 216
- Clubs and Taxable Income 210
- Income tax on foreign dividends 198
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 197
- New Fangled Penalties 187
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 162