I have been using Moneysoft payroll manager for several years. I find it very easy to use, has a great help desk for the odd time you need it and is good value for money. I have recommended it to many clients and associates.
However I believe there is a fundemental problem with the software that the help desk will not acknowledge. There are instances when you can overwrite locked and paid periods without even knowing.
For instance I did the payroll for the month of October, inputting sick pay to the 31 October as per sick line. I made payment for October and then locked the period. When doing Novembers pay the employee bring in sick note for November. I enter this in the system then pay and Lock Novembers. By chance I notice that Octobers pay statement has been changed adding in the sick pay for 1 to 5 November and adjusting tax and NI. So I paid the wrong amount in October to the employee and paid the wrong amount of PAYE to HMRC.
Do other payroll packages have the same problem?
I dont believe it should be possible to overwrite a LOCKED month or at least a warning should be given stating that if you proceed this will result in overwritting locked periods. The help desk dont seem to think this is possible and dont seem to think this is a problem.
Has anyone else experienced this problem and how do they avoid it?
I believe this will hapen to others and the first they will be aware of a problem is at the year end when HMRC send an under or over payment notice, and you may have no idea why there is a difference.
- VAT Invoice 243 7
- VAT on sale of an Asset 102 1
- Cash in Hand 196 3
- Buy to let and capitak gain 201 5
- are receipts needed? 642 17
- SA302's anyone?? 629 18
- Charge for use of credit card - permitted 339 8
- High value residential property - SDLT 15% 159 1
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 360 12
- Busines software 194 5
- Goods Purchased for Rental 222 6
- Converting a barn for business use 192 2
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 324 4
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 332 12
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 499 10
- Going to need a tax, insolvency and legal specialist I think 347 3
- Bookkeping software 742 7
- Clogged Losses 293 5
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 288 9
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 673 10
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 911
- International interest certificate 525
- NOVA 375
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 337
- Management expenses for investment company 279
- Bonus Bonds 277
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 187
- EXACT ONLINE 172
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 172
- P11D benefit received by widow 168