I have been using Moneysoft payroll manager for several years. I find it very easy to use, has a great help desk for the odd time you need it and is good value for money. I have recommended it to many clients and associates.
However I believe there is a fundemental problem with the software that the help desk will not acknowledge. There are instances when you can overwrite locked and paid periods without even knowing.
For instance I did the payroll for the month of October, inputting sick pay to the 31 October as per sick line. I made payment for October and then locked the period. When doing Novembers pay the employee bring in sick note for November. I enter this in the system then pay and Lock Novembers. By chance I notice that Octobers pay statement has been changed adding in the sick pay for 1 to 5 November and adjusting tax and NI. So I paid the wrong amount in October to the employee and paid the wrong amount of PAYE to HMRC.
Do other payroll packages have the same problem?
I dont believe it should be possible to overwrite a LOCKED month or at least a warning should be given stating that if you proceed this will result in overwritting locked periods. The help desk dont seem to think this is possible and dont seem to think this is a problem.
Has anyone else experienced this problem and how do they avoid it?
I believe this will hapen to others and the first they will be aware of a problem is at the year end when HMRC send an under or over payment notice, and you may have no idea why there is a difference.
- SA316s 117 3
- Working in Iraq, how to treat the income 15 1
- Swiching tax 508 15
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 721 23
- Proposal to strike off...... 494 10
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 509 10
- Can I recharge Car loan interest 364 11
- Start-up cost recognition 90 1
- Lunches 180 3
- Mortgage Adviser's request 378 8
- VAT on non-denominated postage 124 3
- Generic notification message 251 6
- Property Expenses 215 7
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 814 39
- Auto Enrolment (sorry) 118 1
- Tax relief for networking day out? 500 13
- Accrued salary unpaid 256 4
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 4,195 18
- Basis periods 98 1
- P&L Treatment of property assets 114 2
- Construction CIS LLP Company 599
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 590
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 385
- Pensions Regulator 350
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 289
- Using the correct forms 264
- SA penalty proposals 255
- RTI - duplicate employee record 251
- Accelerated payment notices 235
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 225