I have been using Moneysoft payroll manager for several years. I find it very easy to use, has a great help desk for the odd time you need it and is good value for money. I have recommended it to many clients and associates.
However I believe there is a fundemental problem with the software that the help desk will not acknowledge. There are instances when you can overwrite locked and paid periods without even knowing.
For instance I did the payroll for the month of October, inputting sick pay to the 31 October as per sick line. I made payment for October and then locked the period. When doing Novembers pay the employee bring in sick note for November. I enter this in the system then pay and Lock Novembers. By chance I notice that Octobers pay statement has been changed adding in the sick pay for 1 to 5 November and adjusting tax and NI. So I paid the wrong amount in October to the employee and paid the wrong amount of PAYE to HMRC.
Do other payroll packages have the same problem?
I dont believe it should be possible to overwrite a LOCKED month or at least a warning should be given stating that if you proceed this will result in overwritting locked periods. The help desk dont seem to think this is possible and dont seem to think this is a problem.
Has anyone else experienced this problem and how do they avoid it?
I believe this will hapen to others and the first they will be aware of a problem is at the year end when HMRC send an under or over payment notice, and you may have no idea why there is a difference.
- Xmas party 153 2
- What is the best blog for practitioners to follow? 382 8
- Fixed asset registers 318 10
- Tech Champion of the Year 268 6
- Just because it's Friday 328 6
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 3,369 66
- Inheritance Tax - Simple Question 169 4
- Non-resident employer & employee 110 4
- Capital Allowances 169 4
- equipment rental 222 10
- Acquisition by company 139 5
- Non sequitur 546 7
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 1,515 23
- R&D on products not sold 101 3
- Distance between Postcodes in Excel 948 13
- Under Cash Accounting rules how do I account for a credit note issued outside the Corp Tax period? 202 4
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 652 9
- Transfer of land to family members 111 2
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 601 11
- The process of issuing dividend? 231 6
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,370
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 437
- Alphabet shares 243
- Agent fees to sell business 231
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 230
- Charge out rates in London 186
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 170
- which entity 151
- UK tax regime 'attractive' to investors, says KPMG 142
- confusion about 141