I have been using Moneysoft payroll manager for several years. I find it very easy to use, has a great help desk for the odd time you need it and is good value for money. I have recommended it to many clients and associates.
However I believe there is a fundemental problem with the software that the help desk will not acknowledge. There are instances when you can overwrite locked and paid periods without even knowing.
For instance I did the payroll for the month of October, inputting sick pay to the 31 October as per sick line. I made payment for October and then locked the period. When doing Novembers pay the employee bring in sick note for November. I enter this in the system then pay and Lock Novembers. By chance I notice that Octobers pay statement has been changed adding in the sick pay for 1 to 5 November and adjusting tax and NI. So I paid the wrong amount in October to the employee and paid the wrong amount of PAYE to HMRC.
Do other payroll packages have the same problem?
I dont believe it should be possible to overwrite a LOCKED month or at least a warning should be given stating that if you proceed this will result in overwritting locked periods. The help desk dont seem to think this is possible and dont seem to think this is a problem.
Has anyone else experienced this problem and how do they avoid it?
I believe this will hapen to others and the first they will be aware of a problem is at the year end when HMRC send an under or over payment notice, and you may have no idea why there is a difference.
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,021 33
- vat return 245 3
- Flat rate vat 77 1
- Payroo Employer allowance query 167 5
- Value pricing 713 26
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 147 4
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 176 4
- Private residence relief with entrepreneur relief mix 284 4
- Reregister for VAT 131 2
- Producing graphical KPI's etc 197 6
- Weely paid employees 243 3
- Would this save hours of your time? 472 11
- Director's tax return 279 6
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 214 6
- Wrong career 477 18
- MONEYSOFT - EARLIER YEAR UPDATE 288 7
- Laptop purchase 1,393 20
- PTP software disaster 280 2
- CIS repayment shambles finally over? 232 2
- Treatment of EU Purchases on Sage 103 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 798
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 550
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 416
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 294
- Free Tax Legislation? 266
- Director Loan account operation 245
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 240
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 238
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 230
- Paye procedures for CVA 159