I have been using Moneysoft payroll manager for several years. I find it very easy to use, has a great help desk for the odd time you need it and is good value for money. I have recommended it to many clients and associates.
However I believe there is a fundemental problem with the software that the help desk will not acknowledge. There are instances when you can overwrite locked and paid periods without even knowing.
For instance I did the payroll for the month of October, inputting sick pay to the 31 October as per sick line. I made payment for October and then locked the period. When doing Novembers pay the employee bring in sick note for November. I enter this in the system then pay and Lock Novembers. By chance I notice that Octobers pay statement has been changed adding in the sick pay for 1 to 5 November and adjusting tax and NI. So I paid the wrong amount in October to the employee and paid the wrong amount of PAYE to HMRC.
Do other payroll packages have the same problem?
I dont believe it should be possible to overwrite a LOCKED month or at least a warning should be given stating that if you proceed this will result in overwritting locked periods. The help desk dont seem to think this is possible and dont seem to think this is a problem.
Has anyone else experienced this problem and how do they avoid it?
I believe this will hapen to others and the first they will be aware of a problem is at the year end when HMRC send an under or over payment notice, and you may have no idea why there is a difference.
- What can my client claim r & d on? 319 6
- R&D tax claim 102 1
- How much to charge for Ltd company accounts ? 582 13
- Vat threshold issues 118 2
- Growing pains 361 7
- Does Freeholder have to be director of our RTM Company? 237 14
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 77 1
- Consequential loss claim 121 3
- Residents Association Corp Tax 190 5
- ATT Annual Return Problems 120 2
- what is classed as investment under other fixed assets? 107 1
- Is a Mercedes Vito a van for tax purposes? 339 5
- private to company car? 204 4
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 957 34
- Wages paid into another persons bank account 588 10
- Buy to let allowable interest 154 2
- We accountants are not the only ones!! 239 1
- Partner with an IVA 175 5
- Your fondest calculator memories 601 26
- Goodwill Valuation Prior to April 2002, with the intention of selling on due to personal changes 426 11
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 458
- CTA study material 418
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 304
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 287
- Pre incorp expenses 279
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 246
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 235
- Slight twist on employment related securities 210
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 185
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 178