I have been using Moneysoft payroll manager for several years. I find it very easy to use, has a great help desk for the odd time you need it and is good value for money. I have recommended it to many clients and associates.
However I believe there is a fundemental problem with the software that the help desk will not acknowledge. There are instances when you can overwrite locked and paid periods without even knowing.
For instance I did the payroll for the month of October, inputting sick pay to the 31 October as per sick line. I made payment for October and then locked the period. When doing Novembers pay the employee bring in sick note for November. I enter this in the system then pay and Lock Novembers. By chance I notice that Octobers pay statement has been changed adding in the sick pay for 1 to 5 November and adjusting tax and NI. So I paid the wrong amount in October to the employee and paid the wrong amount of PAYE to HMRC.
Do other payroll packages have the same problem?
I dont believe it should be possible to overwrite a LOCKED month or at least a warning should be given stating that if you proceed this will result in overwritting locked periods. The help desk dont seem to think this is possible and dont seem to think this is a problem.
Has anyone else experienced this problem and how do they avoid it?
I believe this will hapen to others and the first they will be aware of a problem is at the year end when HMRC send an under or over payment notice, and you may have no idea why there is a difference.
- Just another average day trying to deal with HMRC 1,690 21
- Capital gains tax and PPR 128 2
- Badges of trade 61 1
- online accounts and timesheets 57 2
- P11D & tax return 313 11
- Member meet up 1 October in London 363 9
- Seeking advice: Director's claim to money 236 7
- Identify cost savings 236 6
- Companies Made Simple - I guess they don't want our business any more 473 7
- HMRC AND BAD ORGANIZATION 170 2
- Jobs after completing ACCA 167 2
- First director's salary payment 3 months after ltd company formation 609 11
- are these allowable deductions? 168 1
- Laptop help needed I bought the wrong operating system 582 12
- Option To Tax - VAT on residential sales? 100 1
- SEIS: is it ok for co to spend money before the shares are issued? 148 3
- Can Guernsey company have same name as mine 429 7
- Schedule A losses 159 1
- Only pref shares. Does it matter 219 5
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 843 1
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 439
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 394
- Electric Car 337
- S222 Charge 273
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 242
- AIA 217
- IP trans to holding company 210
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 210
- Car used both in a partnership and sole trader business - how to claim capital allowances? 172
- Payroll Manager - tax code for starter declaration 'C' 165