I have been using Moneysoft payroll manager for several years. I find it very easy to use, has a great help desk for the odd time you need it and is good value for money. I have recommended it to many clients and associates.
However I believe there is a fundemental problem with the software that the help desk will not acknowledge. There are instances when you can overwrite locked and paid periods without even knowing.
For instance I did the payroll for the month of October, inputting sick pay to the 31 October as per sick line. I made payment for October and then locked the period. When doing Novembers pay the employee bring in sick note for November. I enter this in the system then pay and Lock Novembers. By chance I notice that Octobers pay statement has been changed adding in the sick pay for 1 to 5 November and adjusting tax and NI. So I paid the wrong amount in October to the employee and paid the wrong amount of PAYE to HMRC.
Do other payroll packages have the same problem?
I dont believe it should be possible to overwrite a LOCKED month or at least a warning should be given stating that if you proceed this will result in overwritting locked periods. The help desk dont seem to think this is possible and dont seem to think this is a problem.
Has anyone else experienced this problem and how do they avoid it?
I believe this will hapen to others and the first they will be aware of a problem is at the year end when HMRC send an under or over payment notice, and you may have no idea why there is a difference.
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 1,051 29
- directors loan 261 8
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 378 14
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 820 27
- Director registration for SA question 268 11
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 220 3
- New Company reviews please 461 12
- Business only use of company car 606 23
- Holiday pay calculator for client use? 339 4
- CIS not deducted 309 5
- Car Capital Contribution 183 2
- cgt quoted shares losses 208 1
- LLP and corporate members - timing differences impact on corp tax 92 2
- VAT FRS percentage for sales person? 209 3
- Money Laundering Manual 257 10
- As I was saying, Its VAT question day 356 8
- VAT with Russia 136 1
- Penalties for late PAYE scheme 215 2
- Worst corporate entertaining events? 1,158 9
- CGT on Let Property 241 4
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 284
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 236
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 235
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 210
- Any thoughts on Capium? 202
- Expenses Software 189
- auto enrolment 178
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 168
- How to account for investment in JV? 147
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 146