I have been using Moneysoft payroll manager for several years. I find it very easy to use, has a great help desk for the odd time you need it and is good value for money. I have recommended it to many clients and associates.
However I believe there is a fundemental problem with the software that the help desk will not acknowledge. There are instances when you can overwrite locked and paid periods without even knowing.
For instance I did the payroll for the month of October, inputting sick pay to the 31 October as per sick line. I made payment for October and then locked the period. When doing Novembers pay the employee bring in sick note for November. I enter this in the system then pay and Lock Novembers. By chance I notice that Octobers pay statement has been changed adding in the sick pay for 1 to 5 November and adjusting tax and NI. So I paid the wrong amount in October to the employee and paid the wrong amount of PAYE to HMRC.
Do other payroll packages have the same problem?
I dont believe it should be possible to overwrite a LOCKED month or at least a warning should be given stating that if you proceed this will result in overwritting locked periods. The help desk dont seem to think this is possible and dont seem to think this is a problem.
Has anyone else experienced this problem and how do they avoid it?
I believe this will hapen to others and the first they will be aware of a problem is at the year end when HMRC send an under or over payment notice, and you may have no idea why there is a difference.
- Investment from Friend 48 5
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 763 29
- client can't/won't pay 1,572 29
- Capital Gains Relief 97 4
- Identity check problem 1,229 13
- A Director of a Ltd Company let a general Manager run the company, and if anything goes wrong the general manager is responsible? 147 3
- Business Set up cost 90 1
- Advice on letting a client go ? 639 12
- Aged Debtor 54 1
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 946 34
- Loss carry back in Taxfiler 70 3
- blank - ignore 491 8
- Part disposal of shareholding with CGT loss attached 80 2
- calculate mortgage interest 349 5
- Do we have to register for VAT? 444 9
- Companies House praise 225 1
- Tax Penalty overreaction 2,065 14
- Most cr*p bank account ever? 165 1
- Directors NIC's 183 5
- VAT field when booking bills for organisations on VAT FRS 74 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 875
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 572
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 535
- Latest phishing scam 469
- Entrepreneurs' relief 412
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 339
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 317
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 240
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 231
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 163