I have been using Moneysoft payroll manager for several years. I find it very easy to use, has a great help desk for the odd time you need it and is good value for money. I have recommended it to many clients and associates.
However I believe there is a fundemental problem with the software that the help desk will not acknowledge. There are instances when you can overwrite locked and paid periods without even knowing.
For instance I did the payroll for the month of October, inputting sick pay to the 31 October as per sick line. I made payment for October and then locked the period. When doing Novembers pay the employee bring in sick note for November. I enter this in the system then pay and Lock Novembers. By chance I notice that Octobers pay statement has been changed adding in the sick pay for 1 to 5 November and adjusting tax and NI. So I paid the wrong amount in October to the employee and paid the wrong amount of PAYE to HMRC.
Do other payroll packages have the same problem?
I dont believe it should be possible to overwrite a LOCKED month or at least a warning should be given stating that if you proceed this will result in overwritting locked periods. The help desk dont seem to think this is possible and dont seem to think this is a problem.
Has anyone else experienced this problem and how do they avoid it?
I believe this will hapen to others and the first they will be aware of a problem is at the year end when HMRC send an under or over payment notice, and you may have no idea why there is a difference.
- Sage Priority Support 138 3
- incorrect old p60 247 5
- US company hiring UK citizens in UK 123 2
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 797 24
- Micro-entity accounts 80 1
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 969 26
- Related party disclosure 142 3
- Inflation and fees 1,294 23
- Company reconstruction 72 1
- Missing tax return 251 3
- Rolled up interest and late interest rules 209 6
- US LLC - anomaly in UK and US treatment 104 3
- Basic Tools and PAYE succession 137 1
- Advice please! 385 2
- VAT on new builds 154 3
- CGT query on investment property sale 117 1
- Summarise excel cashbook by month 349 6
- Are accountants facing a doomsday scenario? 1,942 28
- Redundancy Pay 446 6
- Entertaining - am I missing something or is my client taking the mickey 736 6