I have been using Moneysoft payroll manager for several years. I find it very easy to use, has a great help desk for the odd time you need it and is good value for money. I have recommended it to many clients and associates.
However I believe there is a fundemental problem with the software that the help desk will not acknowledge. There are instances when you can overwrite locked and paid periods without even knowing.
For instance I did the payroll for the month of October, inputting sick pay to the 31 October as per sick line. I made payment for October and then locked the period. When doing Novembers pay the employee bring in sick note for November. I enter this in the system then pay and Lock Novembers. By chance I notice that Octobers pay statement has been changed adding in the sick pay for 1 to 5 November and adjusting tax and NI. So I paid the wrong amount in October to the employee and paid the wrong amount of PAYE to HMRC.
Do other payroll packages have the same problem?
I dont believe it should be possible to overwrite a LOCKED month or at least a warning should be given stating that if you proceed this will result in overwritting locked periods. The help desk dont seem to think this is possible and dont seem to think this is a problem.
Has anyone else experienced this problem and how do they avoid it?
I believe this will hapen to others and the first they will be aware of a problem is at the year end when HMRC send an under or over payment notice, and you may have no idea why there is a difference.
- inheritance tax 35 1
- Using profits from Ltd company as start up funds for new venture 40 1
- Capital payments offshore trust 62 1
- Pay in Lieu of notice 82 2
- Gift with reservation, IHT & CGT 91 1
- Splitting hairs with a national firm 1,122 9
- Sage 50 re-key - VAT problem 78 2
- Unreimbursed employee expenses 172 1
- Deduction from Salary 459 11
- Doctor and Locum Work 146 2
- State pension 130 1
- NALS Accountants Report 289 4
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 259 6
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,126 40
- CIC Company 617 11
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 275 6
- This is getting boring 475 10
- 27,000 Really? 744 24
- VAT on printing when being a third party 106 2
- ACCA Cert/Dip in IFRS 205 3
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 632
- Cancelled 376
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 348
- Cancelled 322
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 298
- Probiz 287
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 256
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 246
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 214
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 190