I have been using Moneysoft payroll manager for several years. I find it very easy to use, has a great help desk for the odd time you need it and is good value for money. I have recommended it to many clients and associates.
However I believe there is a fundemental problem with the software that the help desk will not acknowledge. There are instances when you can overwrite locked and paid periods without even knowing.
For instance I did the payroll for the month of October, inputting sick pay to the 31 October as per sick line. I made payment for October and then locked the period. When doing Novembers pay the employee bring in sick note for November. I enter this in the system then pay and Lock Novembers. By chance I notice that Octobers pay statement has been changed adding in the sick pay for 1 to 5 November and adjusting tax and NI. So I paid the wrong amount in October to the employee and paid the wrong amount of PAYE to HMRC.
Do other payroll packages have the same problem?
I dont believe it should be possible to overwrite a LOCKED month or at least a warning should be given stating that if you proceed this will result in overwritting locked periods. The help desk dont seem to think this is possible and dont seem to think this is a problem.
Has anyone else experienced this problem and how do they avoid it?
I believe this will hapen to others and the first they will be aware of a problem is at the year end when HMRC send an under or over payment notice, and you may have no idea why there is a difference.
- Bereavment payment 99 3
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 485 18
- Double tax treaty Italy and UK 101 1
- Anyone Heard of This Outfit? 1,112 7
- Can anyone advise on the best VAT Scheme to change to? 273 4
- Apologies for reposting this but first post was on Friday afternoon! 347 2
- CT600 Computations - Company Tax Return help 1,295 14
- Sage Bank Reconciliation 151 2
- Companies House incorporation service 350 12
- Factors affecting tax charge FRS 19 (marginal rate) 79 1
- P35 and Service Company questions 152 3
- VAT chargeable to conference attendees 194 6
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 208 1
- Long period of account for Corporation Tax 270 7
- Flat Rate VAT and EU sales (Non VAT) 144 3
- NIC £2000 Allowance - Care Support Worker 154 3
- VAT, vans, sole traders and business use. 1,599 12
- Share Capital 136 2
- Trading income or not? 200 1
- Charge HMRC 429 3
- Xtuple 549
- Qtac payroll for bureau 376
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 320
- Industrial & Provident Societies 314
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 294
- CIS schemes 224
- Domain name sale and limited company 205
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 188
- Investment 187
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 179