I have been using Moneysoft payroll manager for several years. I find it very easy to use, has a great help desk for the odd time you need it and is good value for money. I have recommended it to many clients and associates.
However I believe there is a fundemental problem with the software that the help desk will not acknowledge. There are instances when you can overwrite locked and paid periods without even knowing.
For instance I did the payroll for the month of October, inputting sick pay to the 31 October as per sick line. I made payment for October and then locked the period. When doing Novembers pay the employee bring in sick note for November. I enter this in the system then pay and Lock Novembers. By chance I notice that Octobers pay statement has been changed adding in the sick pay for 1 to 5 November and adjusting tax and NI. So I paid the wrong amount in October to the employee and paid the wrong amount of PAYE to HMRC.
Do other payroll packages have the same problem?
I dont believe it should be possible to overwrite a LOCKED month or at least a warning should be given stating that if you proceed this will result in overwritting locked periods. The help desk dont seem to think this is possible and dont seem to think this is a problem.
Has anyone else experienced this problem and how do they avoid it?
I believe this will hapen to others and the first they will be aware of a problem is at the year end when HMRC send an under or over payment notice, and you may have no idea why there is a difference.
- Tax treatment on the sale of a business 299 15
- VAT on “Reimbursement” from third parties 41 1
- Money laundering POCA 178 4
- Company incorrectly marked 'dormant' by HMRC 40 1
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 66 1
- Auto-Enrolment 2,953 157
- Pricing 121 2
- P11d mistake 90 1
- Place of Supply or these two contracts walk into a German Bar 169 2
- Accountants who provide tech/IT advice 454 1
- CLG exempt under s60 122 2
- Improvement expenses allowable against rental income 137 4
- Alternative to CIS 410 9
- Can I become a self employed bookkeeper?? 357 4
- Supplier 1,262 13
- How to account for VAT on a newbuild that has been let 143 2
- No Tax Returns submitted for last 16 years 958 22
- Incorrect penalty warning letters sent 1,013 7
- Mutual trading organisation 127 2
- Companies house dissolved my company. What do I do now? 523 9
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 498
- Skandia using wrong address 442
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 266
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 239
- Employee rewards 232
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 208
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 203
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 183
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 181
- Etax Australian 149