Penalty determination but only after I changed the accounting period date.....
I'm about to appeal a penalty determination received today, but wanted to check that I was actually on the right footing....
A client had the corporation tax period as the 13th of April 2009 to 12th April 2010. I prepared two sets of accounts - one to the 30th April 2009 which was dormant, and then 12 months after that. The original required submission date of the corporation tax return and the accounts was the 12th of January, which was the day I submitted both returns online.
Today I have received a penalty notice for £200 for the client for the period 13th April 2009 to 30th April 2009, with the date of CT return due as the 30th August 2010. But HMRC did not send a request for this period and with this deadline.
Am I correct in that I have grounds to appeal?
- Xerocon 2016 1,011 24
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,188 41
- buying asset and settling vendor's debt 222 6
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 233 7
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 588 12
- Personal Tax 487 11
- USA Tax Query 162 1
- Disengagement Help! 1,660 25
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 944 6
- Expenses paid by director (the comapny owner) 282 2
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 600 18
- Corrupt Excel File 674 10
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 349 4
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,975 43
- Locked Out of HMRC Online Account - HMRC Not Responding 290 2
- Re-Training costs - tax reief 407 7
- Capital Gain on Share Disposal with Held Over Gains 171 1
- 64-8's amazingly quick 325 4
- last minute request 511 5
- VAT - Check on clients business 1,254 46