Penalty determination but only after I changed the accounting period date.....
I'm about to appeal a penalty determination received today, but wanted to check that I was actually on the right footing....
A client had the corporation tax period as the 13th of April 2009 to 12th April 2010. I prepared two sets of accounts - one to the 30th April 2009 which was dormant, and then 12 months after that. The original required submission date of the corporation tax return and the accounts was the 12th of January, which was the day I submitted both returns online.
Today I have received a penalty notice for £200 for the client for the period 13th April 2009 to 30th April 2009, with the date of CT return due as the 30th August 2010. But HMRC did not send a request for this period and with this deadline.
Am I correct in that I have grounds to appeal?
- Do I walk away from these accounts? 800 16
- Cloud accounting package 119 1
- Incorporation after the start of trading 993 39
- Setting up offshore to avoid paying VAT 484 15
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 258 6
- Offshore company (Guernsey / Isle of Man) 153 3
- PAYE – Directors NI 239 6
- Next Move 333 12
- Ltd Co and 'grant' income 394 7
- when to file SA return if closed SA in the middle of the year 184 4
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 234 3
- Large PAYE tax refund to Employee 337 3
- Personal Tax Accounts. Are we all doomed. 700 10
- Accounts treatment of assets at cessation date 282 10
- Seeking advice: Vehicle usage 164 3
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,237 34
- Casual Driver 255 4
- Self Assessment Software 632 20
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 345 7
- How does HMRC give tax relief to Muslims for borrowing costs? 1,264 10
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 630
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 394
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 394
- Property letting & CAs 377
- 2015 tax year end 372
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 372
- FCA regulated company in a small group 335
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 231
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 224
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 219