Policy change for coding out?????
Having submitted quite a few 2008 tax returns (which wasn't without its problems thanks to our software having numerous 'issues') I have received the updated statement for one of my clients which not only has the July 2008 POA coded out but all of 2009's. The liability was £2,942.71.
It would appear that there is a new question on the 2007/08 tax return, on page 6 - If you owe tax for 2007/08 & have a PAYE tax code, we will try to collect tax due (up to £2,000) through your tax code for 2009-10, unless you put an 'x' in the box. This INCLUDES any outstanding POA's. So my clients July POA has been coded into 2010. This crazy move means that the 'tax outstanding' is effectively nil (We all know that isnt the case) & HMRC have cancelled her 2008/09 POA's!!!!!!
If you map this forward to 2012. It means that instead of paying £1,600 every 6 months, she will pay around £4,500 every 2 years, until her source of PAYE ceases, then coding out must stop & if she is still in the same position will owe nearly £10k in 'catch-up' payments.
Having spoken to a tax specialist & HMRC they have confirmed that this year the policy has changed, but once everyone starts querying their bizarre statements & PAYE codes, how long will it be before they reverse their decision - moving us into even more complications? I can’t see that everyone at HMRC will understand the change, our software providers definitely don’t & we are faced with having to manually adjust all of our client accounts.
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 391 4
- Employment support allowance and self employed 126 3
- Company pays me the mileage rate of a company vehicle 86 1
- Registered Office 140 3
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 1,482 23
- recovery of S455 on informal winding 311 5
- Partnership Registration 104 2
- Can you declare dividends and not withdraw them 902 36
- Owners loan to business - is interest taxable 107 2
- Would this save hours of your time? 684 12
- Audit Required 1,185 22
- HMRC to sell our tax data to private companies 304 9
- Residential Management Companies 88 2
- Value pricing 2,852 37
- Problems with CT600 filing 396 5
- Flat rate scheme - which rate to use? 391 11
- Payroll software for Mac 119 1
- Online / Cloud Data Back Up 115 2
- Excel problem - pivot tables and multiple data sources 216 5
- CIS and Close Company 208 6
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 944
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 660
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 398
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 331
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 259
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 250
- Paye procedures for CVA 249
- Expenses Re-imbursed on the VAT Flat Rate Scheme 196
- Compliance Checks - Time limits 193
- Pension Fixed Protection 188