Policy change for coding out?????
Having submitted quite a few 2008 tax returns (which wasn't without its problems thanks to our software having numerous 'issues') I have received the updated statement for one of my clients which not only has the July 2008 POA coded out but all of 2009's. The liability was £2,942.71.
It would appear that there is a new question on the 2007/08 tax return, on page 6 - If you owe tax for 2007/08 & have a PAYE tax code, we will try to collect tax due (up to £2,000) through your tax code for 2009-10, unless you put an 'x' in the box. This INCLUDES any outstanding POA's. So my clients July POA has been coded into 2010. This crazy move means that the 'tax outstanding' is effectively nil (We all know that isnt the case) & HMRC have cancelled her 2008/09 POA's!!!!!!
If you map this forward to 2012. It means that instead of paying £1,600 every 6 months, she will pay around £4,500 every 2 years, until her source of PAYE ceases, then coding out must stop & if she is still in the same position will owe nearly £10k in 'catch-up' payments.
Having spoken to a tax specialist & HMRC they have confirmed that this year the policy has changed, but once everyone starts querying their bizarre statements & PAYE codes, how long will it be before they reverse their decision - moving us into even more complications? I can’t see that everyone at HMRC will understand the change, our software providers definitely don’t & we are faced with having to manually adjust all of our client accounts.
- Treatment of private ambulances on introduction to business 48 2
- Voluntary Disclosure 354 8
- Gift to son by parents 60 1
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 1,044 32
- valuation of vehicles 479 19
- How to revise RTI for Moneysoft 267 4
- Director Salaries - Sole Director Limited Company who is also employed elsewhere 130 1
- Ethical Issues / Conflict of Interest 375 3
- Mortgage Interest - Tax Deductible 448 4
- BTC is slow 292 3
- Director registration for SA question 517 17
- Issues with freelancer taking zero salary from limited company 443 6
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 513 22
- Business only use of company car 725 26
- Dormant company late with their CH submission 524 14
- Penalties for late PAYE scheme 353 4
- New Company reviews please 581 13
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 345 4
- VAT with Russia 272 2
- VAT FRS percentage for sales person? 241 4
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 312
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 255
- Any thoughts on Capium? 251
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 247
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 226
- auto enrolment 199
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 185
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 167
- How to account for investment in JV? 164
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 152