Policy change for coding out?????
Having submitted quite a few 2008 tax returns (which wasn't without its problems thanks to our software having numerous 'issues') I have received the updated statement for one of my clients which not only has the July 2008 POA coded out but all of 2009's. The liability was £2,942.71.
It would appear that there is a new question on the 2007/08 tax return, on page 6 - If you owe tax for 2007/08 & have a PAYE tax code, we will try to collect tax due (up to £2,000) through your tax code for 2009-10, unless you put an 'x' in the box. This INCLUDES any outstanding POA's. So my clients July POA has been coded into 2010. This crazy move means that the 'tax outstanding' is effectively nil (We all know that isnt the case) & HMRC have cancelled her 2008/09 POA's!!!!!!
If you map this forward to 2012. It means that instead of paying £1,600 every 6 months, she will pay around £4,500 every 2 years, until her source of PAYE ceases, then coding out must stop & if she is still in the same position will owe nearly £10k in 'catch-up' payments.
Having spoken to a tax specialist & HMRC they have confirmed that this year the policy has changed, but once everyone starts querying their bizarre statements & PAYE codes, how long will it be before they reverse their decision - moving us into even more complications? I can’t see that everyone at HMRC will understand the change, our software providers definitely don’t & we are faced with having to manually adjust all of our client accounts.
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 177 5
- 27,000 Really? 1,159 38
- What are options for non CA firm 2,841 60
- Legal title not in the company name 798 23
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 348 4
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 315 8
- Opening Balances 209 2
- Awkward insolvency practitioner 592 7
- Tax Credits for Self Employed 125 1
- FRS12 Redundancy and notice period provision 96 1
- This is getting boring 625 12
- Using profits from Ltd company as start up funds for new venture 269 7
- pension paid by company? 126 3
- inheritance tax 431 12
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 352 9
- Sage 50 re-key - VAT problem 231 4
- State pension 304 3
- Accountancy Career 150 1
- CIC Company 659 13
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,823 22
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 642
- Cancelled 396
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 355
- Cancelled 338
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 310
- Probiz 306
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 280
- How not to compose an email 269
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 259
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 224