Policy change for coding out?????
Having submitted quite a few 2008 tax returns (which wasn't without its problems thanks to our software having numerous 'issues') I have received the updated statement for one of my clients which not only has the July 2008 POA coded out but all of 2009's. The liability was £2,942.71.
It would appear that there is a new question on the 2007/08 tax return, on page 6 - If you owe tax for 2007/08 & have a PAYE tax code, we will try to collect tax due (up to £2,000) through your tax code for 2009-10, unless you put an 'x' in the box. This INCLUDES any outstanding POA's. So my clients July POA has been coded into 2010. This crazy move means that the 'tax outstanding' is effectively nil (We all know that isnt the case) & HMRC have cancelled her 2008/09 POA's!!!!!!
If you map this forward to 2012. It means that instead of paying £1,600 every 6 months, she will pay around £4,500 every 2 years, until her source of PAYE ceases, then coding out must stop & if she is still in the same position will owe nearly £10k in 'catch-up' payments.
Having spoken to a tax specialist & HMRC they have confirmed that this year the policy has changed, but once everyone starts querying their bizarre statements & PAYE codes, how long will it be before they reverse their decision - moving us into even more complications? I can’t see that everyone at HMRC will understand the change, our software providers definitely don’t & we are faced with having to manually adjust all of our client accounts.
- Undeclared Self Employment 1,553 12
- Audit Required 102 3
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 2,756 25
- Value pricing 220 8
- company secretarial software 140 2
- Tax repayment for 2013-14 140 3
- Elective DeductionsModel 62 1
- Papilio UK Equity Release Mortgages Ltd 187 1
- Rental Income 300 6
- Payroll 2012/13 102 1
- I have a pain 694 6
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 82 1
- convert directors loan account to share capital 173 5
- Anyone else seen incorrect tax code notices - rather worring! 734 17
- Belated VAT Exception Application 121 3
- Cash flow 147 2
- New use of home - simplified method 248 4
- CGT and PPR and Lettings Relief? 267 5
- 2 year rule? Self employed. 396 13
- How long is filing an FPS meant to take ? 1,955 32
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 731
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 500
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 344
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 342
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 263
- VAT on Gaming Machines 211
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 199
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 184
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 176
- Director Loan account operation 147