Policy change for coding out?????
Having submitted quite a few 2008 tax returns (which wasn't without its problems thanks to our software having numerous 'issues') I have received the updated statement for one of my clients which not only has the July 2008 POA coded out but all of 2009's. The liability was £2,942.71.
It would appear that there is a new question on the 2007/08 tax return, on page 6 - If you owe tax for 2007/08 & have a PAYE tax code, we will try to collect tax due (up to £2,000) through your tax code for 2009-10, unless you put an 'x' in the box. This INCLUDES any outstanding POA's. So my clients July POA has been coded into 2010. This crazy move means that the 'tax outstanding' is effectively nil (We all know that isnt the case) & HMRC have cancelled her 2008/09 POA's!!!!!!
If you map this forward to 2012. It means that instead of paying £1,600 every 6 months, she will pay around £4,500 every 2 years, until her source of PAYE ceases, then coding out must stop & if she is still in the same position will owe nearly £10k in 'catch-up' payments.
Having spoken to a tax specialist & HMRC they have confirmed that this year the policy has changed, but once everyone starts querying their bizarre statements & PAYE codes, how long will it be before they reverse their decision - moving us into even more complications? I can’t see that everyone at HMRC will understand the change, our software providers definitely don’t & we are faced with having to manually adjust all of our client accounts.
- Project being run jointly 146 3
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 274 4
- Companies House 562 9
- Dress code 279 12
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 103 1
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 288 11
- Where to start to get any of jobs in Finance and Accounting Industry 707 9
- How much did you pay for your website 1,408 25
- What would you do in this situation? 574 13
- Help Required 360 10
- directors control and tax problems 203 5
- Fastest Software 777 13
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 944 28
- What's in a name ? 325 5
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 254 4
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 442 15
- Bulk Invoicing 181 6
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 162 3
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 252 2
- ATED Penalties 278 1
- CTA study material 707
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 430
- Employment related securities question 271
- AIM Stocks and IHT 248
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 204
- Trust for Employee 189
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 188
- Expat pension contributions? 188
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax consultancy 2014 169
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 161