Policy change for coding out?????
Having submitted quite a few 2008 tax returns (which wasn't without its problems thanks to our software having numerous 'issues') I have received the updated statement for one of my clients which not only has the July 2008 POA coded out but all of 2009's. The liability was £2,942.71.
It would appear that there is a new question on the 2007/08 tax return, on page 6 - If you owe tax for 2007/08 & have a PAYE tax code, we will try to collect tax due (up to £2,000) through your tax code for 2009-10, unless you put an 'x' in the box. This INCLUDES any outstanding POA's. So my clients July POA has been coded into 2010. This crazy move means that the 'tax outstanding' is effectively nil (We all know that isnt the case) & HMRC have cancelled her 2008/09 POA's!!!!!!
If you map this forward to 2012. It means that instead of paying £1,600 every 6 months, she will pay around £4,500 every 2 years, until her source of PAYE ceases, then coding out must stop & if she is still in the same position will owe nearly £10k in 'catch-up' payments.
Having spoken to a tax specialist & HMRC they have confirmed that this year the policy has changed, but once everyone starts querying their bizarre statements & PAYE codes, how long will it be before they reverse their decision - moving us into even more complications? I can’t see that everyone at HMRC will understand the change, our software providers definitely don’t & we are faced with having to manually adjust all of our client accounts.
- Cash basis 330 10
- Statutory sick pay 167 3
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 295 3
- Redundancy payment added to p45 302 2
- Overseas bank interest 179 5
- Contractor accommodation expenses 133 1
- Undeclared rental income 2,020 20
- Kasperskey - home pc 329 4
- Resubmit Corporation tax Return 180 2
- Rental Income Tax Planning 286 4
- Any Scottish members out there? 15,916 589
- Companies house dissolved my company. What do I do now? 1,317 12
- Lorry Drivers 379 5
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 251 2
- Is alcohol allowed within the £150 staff entertaining exemption? 1,687 9
- Unincorporated organistion ceasing to exist 154 1
- PRR 597 16
- TMA 1970 - fixed penalties appeals 222 2
- Partially exempt? 326 10
- Method for filing 2013/14 payroll? 274 3
- Skandia using wrong address 537
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 292
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 288
- Employee rewards 279
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 252
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 244
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 233
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 216
- Etax Australian 178
- LLP in Construction Industry 142