Policy change for coding out?????
Having submitted quite a few 2008 tax returns (which wasn't without its problems thanks to our software having numerous 'issues') I have received the updated statement for one of my clients which not only has the July 2008 POA coded out but all of 2009's. The liability was £2,942.71.
It would appear that there is a new question on the 2007/08 tax return, on page 6 - If you owe tax for 2007/08 & have a PAYE tax code, we will try to collect tax due (up to £2,000) through your tax code for 2009-10, unless you put an 'x' in the box. This INCLUDES any outstanding POA's. So my clients July POA has been coded into 2010. This crazy move means that the 'tax outstanding' is effectively nil (We all know that isnt the case) & HMRC have cancelled her 2008/09 POA's!!!!!!
If you map this forward to 2012. It means that instead of paying £1,600 every 6 months, she will pay around £4,500 every 2 years, until her source of PAYE ceases, then coding out must stop & if she is still in the same position will owe nearly £10k in 'catch-up' payments.
Having spoken to a tax specialist & HMRC they have confirmed that this year the policy has changed, but once everyone starts querying their bizarre statements & PAYE codes, how long will it be before they reverse their decision - moving us into even more complications? I can’t see that everyone at HMRC will understand the change, our software providers definitely don’t & we are faced with having to manually adjust all of our client accounts.
- Husband Wife let property 325 9
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 473 12
- Output tax for retailer 297 8
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 237 3
- 13-14 Payroll return needs to be filed 94 2
- Payroll Software & Auto Enrolement 86 1
- CT600 Advice 29 1
- Goodie bag 1,408 51
- Fair Value Accounting 45 1
- Client incurring expenses on company car 73 4
- can I approach clients ? 319 8
- Companies House Penalties 53 2
- Apostille documents 80 2
- Budget 2015 predictions 516 13
- AE - employees making different contributions 58 1
- Transfer of properties to a limited company stamp duty 318 14
- Classic cars investment 551 15
- Why .... 805 9
- Awkward shareholder (sister) 521 5
- BrightPay 900 26
- Possible Partnership? 633
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 512
- New Fangled Penalties 440
- Fuming! 365
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 315
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 253
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 232
- Outsource Data Entry 229
- Moving away from CCH software 221
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 172