Policy change for coding out?????
Having submitted quite a few 2008 tax returns (which wasn't without its problems thanks to our software having numerous 'issues') I have received the updated statement for one of my clients which not only has the July 2008 POA coded out but all of 2009's. The liability was £2,942.71.
It would appear that there is a new question on the 2007/08 tax return, on page 6 - If you owe tax for 2007/08 & have a PAYE tax code, we will try to collect tax due (up to £2,000) through your tax code for 2009-10, unless you put an 'x' in the box. This INCLUDES any outstanding POA's. So my clients July POA has been coded into 2010. This crazy move means that the 'tax outstanding' is effectively nil (We all know that isnt the case) & HMRC have cancelled her 2008/09 POA's!!!!!!
If you map this forward to 2012. It means that instead of paying £1,600 every 6 months, she will pay around £4,500 every 2 years, until her source of PAYE ceases, then coding out must stop & if she is still in the same position will owe nearly £10k in 'catch-up' payments.
Having spoken to a tax specialist & HMRC they have confirmed that this year the policy has changed, but once everyone starts querying their bizarre statements & PAYE codes, how long will it be before they reverse their decision - moving us into even more complications? I can’t see that everyone at HMRC will understand the change, our software providers definitely don’t & we are faced with having to manually adjust all of our client accounts.
- New starter - tax code 165 6
- The importance of Grammar 873 23
- Treatment of private car expenses put through limited company 73 2
- Why does Aweb always take the nuclear option … 2,667 60
- PI cover 67 2
- Bookkeeping - Relevant Qualifications? 247 3
- Capital loss on cessation for a sole trader 105 2
- HMRC site down ? 142 4
- Tax Filer - Transfering figures from partnership to personal returns 131 6
- Small hotel - food for personal use 191 3
- Xero Pain Points 249 12
- Models, agency rules and intermediary reporting 92 1
- Samsung Galaxy - Tablet War 104 1
- Late RTI submissions on change of accountants 153 2
- VAT - How hard is it? 368 15
- Tax Return for arrivals into the UK 145 4
- Copies of every transaction can't be OK!! 583 9
- ACCOUNTING TREATMENT FOR DISBURSEMENTS 231 3
- Childcare 269 4
- Overdrawn directors loan account. 812 19
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 360
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 299
- HMRC RTI Filing Problem 284
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 280
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 271
- Electric Car 220
- S222 Charge 200
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 194
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 189
- Company Structure 170