Policy change for coding out?????
Having submitted quite a few 2008 tax returns (which wasn't without its problems thanks to our software having numerous 'issues') I have received the updated statement for one of my clients which not only has the July 2008 POA coded out but all of 2009's. The liability was £2,942.71.
It would appear that there is a new question on the 2007/08 tax return, on page 6 - If you owe tax for 2007/08 & have a PAYE tax code, we will try to collect tax due (up to £2,000) through your tax code for 2009-10, unless you put an 'x' in the box. This INCLUDES any outstanding POA's. So my clients July POA has been coded into 2010. This crazy move means that the 'tax outstanding' is effectively nil (We all know that isnt the case) & HMRC have cancelled her 2008/09 POA's!!!!!!
If you map this forward to 2012. It means that instead of paying £1,600 every 6 months, she will pay around £4,500 every 2 years, until her source of PAYE ceases, then coding out must stop & if she is still in the same position will owe nearly £10k in 'catch-up' payments.
Having spoken to a tax specialist & HMRC they have confirmed that this year the policy has changed, but once everyone starts querying their bizarre statements & PAYE codes, how long will it be before they reverse their decision - moving us into even more complications? I can’t see that everyone at HMRC will understand the change, our software providers definitely don’t & we are faced with having to manually adjust all of our client accounts.
- Goodwill omitted from first years accounts 240 15
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 449 10
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 530 6
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 137 7
- Travel and Subsistence expenses while abroad 279 4
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 102 2
- Limited company buying a car 123 3
- ACCA practice certificates 489 5
- Limited company buying director's car 284 10
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 67 1
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 79 1
- WC's and capital allowances 171 3
- Entrepeneurs relief 299 13
- Dress code 1,539 36
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 474 13
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 253 6
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 373 4
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 468 23
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 177 4
- Loan Repayment on Invoice 104 3
- CTA study material 765
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 476
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 394
- Employment related securities question 307
- AIM Stocks and IHT 279
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 257
- Expat pension contributions? 255
- Trust for Employee 233
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 170
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 147