Policy change for coding out?????
Having submitted quite a few 2008 tax returns (which wasn't without its problems thanks to our software having numerous 'issues') I have received the updated statement for one of my clients which not only has the July 2008 POA coded out but all of 2009's. The liability was £2,942.71.
It would appear that there is a new question on the 2007/08 tax return, on page 6 - If you owe tax for 2007/08 & have a PAYE tax code, we will try to collect tax due (up to £2,000) through your tax code for 2009-10, unless you put an 'x' in the box. This INCLUDES any outstanding POA's. So my clients July POA has been coded into 2010. This crazy move means that the 'tax outstanding' is effectively nil (We all know that isnt the case) & HMRC have cancelled her 2008/09 POA's!!!!!!
If you map this forward to 2012. It means that instead of paying £1,600 every 6 months, she will pay around £4,500 every 2 years, until her source of PAYE ceases, then coding out must stop & if she is still in the same position will owe nearly £10k in 'catch-up' payments.
Having spoken to a tax specialist & HMRC they have confirmed that this year the policy has changed, but once everyone starts querying their bizarre statements & PAYE codes, how long will it be before they reverse their decision - moving us into even more complications? I can’t see that everyone at HMRC will understand the change, our software providers definitely don’t & we are faced with having to manually adjust all of our client accounts.
- New Client in dispute with old accountant 469 10
- Declined for business bank account 248 6
- Any Scottish members out there? 7,629 284
- Help with Mortgage Application? 483 7
- planning to be self employed bookkeeper what do i need to do before i start? 183 3
- Disclosure of pending convertible loan notes? 213 10
- Standard 'email' template system 883 14
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,029 14
- How to complete annual VAT return online? 219 4
- Irish VAT Deferred payment 96 1
- Circular shareholding 234 6
- Starting as sole trader from abroad 193 6
- business card address 313 8
- VAT relief eligibilty for charity buying minibus 214 2
- Loan to a related company 109 1
- Artificially reducing profits by bonus accrual 663 26
- Repairs after a rental business ends 339 10
- Can anyone recommend a good document scanner? 275 8
- property rental income split 136 1
- Expenses of overseas employment 139 2
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,116
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 368
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 300
- National Insurance 269
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 240
- Payments on account coded out?? 230
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 223
- Non Resident 188
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 184
- Franchise income and costs 178