Policy change for coding out?????
Having submitted quite a few 2008 tax returns (which wasn't without its problems thanks to our software having numerous 'issues') I have received the updated statement for one of my clients which not only has the July 2008 POA coded out but all of 2009's. The liability was £2,942.71.
It would appear that there is a new question on the 2007/08 tax return, on page 6 - If you owe tax for 2007/08 & have a PAYE tax code, we will try to collect tax due (up to £2,000) through your tax code for 2009-10, unless you put an 'x' in the box. This INCLUDES any outstanding POA's. So my clients July POA has been coded into 2010. This crazy move means that the 'tax outstanding' is effectively nil (We all know that isnt the case) & HMRC have cancelled her 2008/09 POA's!!!!!!
If you map this forward to 2012. It means that instead of paying £1,600 every 6 months, she will pay around £4,500 every 2 years, until her source of PAYE ceases, then coding out must stop & if she is still in the same position will owe nearly £10k in 'catch-up' payments.
Having spoken to a tax specialist & HMRC they have confirmed that this year the policy has changed, but once everyone starts querying their bizarre statements & PAYE codes, how long will it be before they reverse their decision - moving us into even more complications? I can’t see that everyone at HMRC will understand the change, our software providers definitely don’t & we are faced with having to manually adjust all of our client accounts.
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 743 15
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 1,149 22
- Spousal transfer and PPR 700 31
- Overseas business trip - accompanied by family 69 1
- unmarried couple, two houses, one rental - CGT? 255 8
- recompense capital input 198 11
- Exports/Dispatches - non VAT registered 106 2
- Capital allowances on taxis 229 2
- CT losses carry back 101 1
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 547 17
- help guys! self employed or still company income? 167 2
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 770 19
- Deferred Tax Asset & Liability 420 12
- Where has Portia gone? 2,279 68
- Financial Advisor / Mortgage brokering 150 1
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 184 3
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 231 5
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 993 22
- What shall I reduce payments on account to? 219 3
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 262 5
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 798
- RTI - duplicate employee record 565
- Pensions Regulator 455
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 414
- Portia ... Where art thou 335
- Sanzar 317
- How do you do it 304
- Digital marketing focus group 300
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 274
- new investor structure 185