Post Cessation Expenses
A solicitor ceased trading 3 years ago but since that time has incurred the following costs:
1. A number of claims have been made against him where he has had to pay the insurance excesses. This has amounted to tens of thousands.
Can this be claimed as post-cessation expenses on the basis that this is 'remedying defective work done' and does this have to be claimed in the year the payment is made?
2. The solicitor received significant sums to do with miners claims during the time he traded. However, the claims for costs by solicitors were judged to be excessive. This judgement was made after the solicitor ceased trading.
Can this be classified as 'bad debts' and claimed at any time up to 7 years after cessation?
Thanks for any feedback.
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 60 2
- Where has Portia gone? 1,724 65
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 239 7
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 367 4
- Performance measurement within accounting practice 271 5
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 243 6
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 900 21
- Can i reclaim tax if my fuel cost more than the AFR in a company car 191 3
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 122 1
- Sage line 50 payment before invoice date 192 11
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 398 10
- Property Purchase in Daughters Name 337 9
- Merging my businesses 155 2
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,728 73
- Spousal transfer and PPR 518 16
- VAT on commercial property 161 3
- Rogue Accountant 3,055 49
- deceased creditor 215 5
- Corporate member of LLP 283 1
- Investment company 276 6
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 782
- RTI - duplicate employee record 542
- Pensions Regulator 445
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 405
- Sage Vat return box 2 309
- Sanzar 306
- Digital marketing focus group 291
- How do you do it 280
- Portia ... Where art thou 277
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 260