Post Cessation Expenses
A solicitor ceased trading 3 years ago but since that time has incurred the following costs:
1. A number of claims have been made against him where he has had to pay the insurance excesses. This has amounted to tens of thousands.
Can this be claimed as post-cessation expenses on the basis that this is 'remedying defective work done' and does this have to be claimed in the year the payment is made?
2. The solicitor received significant sums to do with miners claims during the time he traded. However, the claims for costs by solicitors were judged to be excessive. This judgement was made after the solicitor ceased trading.
Can this be classified as 'bad debts' and claimed at any time up to 7 years after cessation?
Thanks for any feedback.
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,324 14
- IR35 deemed payment and dividends - practical considerations 167 3
- VAT on Hire Purchase 183 2
- "Audit Report" 81 1
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 484 13
- Coding Notice 233 6
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 248 6
- New business - journal entries 416 22
- Is CGT roll over relief available for let property 226 3
- Payroll software 654 16
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 277 5
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 401 10
- 100% Annual investment allowance on luxury cars 736 18
- B2B vat in the EU 193 4
- Samadian effect on self employed student support workers 203 4
- Changes to class 2 NIC's 238 3
- Client RTI Shows payments not his 201 4
- LLP as member of LLP 142 1
- Why should I retain membership? 2,848 48
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 523 7
- Auto enrolment excuses 874
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 722
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 415
- Social investment tax relief 220
- Digita Hosted Software 215
- Call Centre Data Costs 204
- accounting for this transaction 197
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 174
- Travel costs and contractors 173
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 172