Post Cessation Expenses
A solicitor ceased trading 3 years ago but since that time has incurred the following costs:
1. A number of claims have been made against him where he has had to pay the insurance excesses. This has amounted to tens of thousands.
Can this be claimed as post-cessation expenses on the basis that this is 'remedying defective work done' and does this have to be claimed in the year the payment is made?
2. The solicitor received significant sums to do with miners claims during the time he traded. However, the claims for costs by solicitors were judged to be excessive. This judgement was made after the solicitor ceased trading.
Can this be classified as 'bad debts' and claimed at any time up to 7 years after cessation?
Thanks for any feedback.
- 31 Jan Procrastination Question: Computer Monitors 278 9
- Practice management 147 2
- Flat Conversion Allowance 59 1
- Watch out self-assessment scam e-mail 212 4
- Conversion from UK GAAP to IFRS 82 1
- IHT and cash gifts 65 1
- Childcare voucher schemes 135 7
- Clothing 167 4
- VAT registration transfer 152 3
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 579 30
- Sponsorship & VAT 89 1
- CT/CO'S HOUSE DATES ALLIGNMENT 106 2
- Director drawings 396 31
- IRIS opentax login problems?! 323 3
- Online Payroll with Auto Enrolment 99 1
- HMRC SA302s 205 3
- What does the "K" signify 434 7
- Director or self-employed 158 1
- The Copyright Licensing Agency 129 3
- Reporting foreign income in Self-Assessment Tax Return 142 3
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 907
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 611
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 579
- Latest phishing scam 532
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 379
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 348
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 281
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 200
- Capital allowances in first basis period 189
- Sabbatical payments 177