Post Cessation Expenses
A solicitor ceased trading 3 years ago but since that time has incurred the following costs:
1. A number of claims have been made against him where he has had to pay the insurance excesses. This has amounted to tens of thousands.
Can this be claimed as post-cessation expenses on the basis that this is 'remedying defective work done' and does this have to be claimed in the year the payment is made?
2. The solicitor received significant sums to do with miners claims during the time he traded. However, the claims for costs by solicitors were judged to be excessive. This judgement was made after the solicitor ceased trading.
Can this be classified as 'bad debts' and claimed at any time up to 7 years after cessation?
Thanks for any feedback.
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 2,768 27
- Value pricing 237 9
- Undeclared Self Employment 1,561 12
- Audit Required 111 3
- company secretarial software 145 2
- Tax repayment for 2013-14 150 3
- Elective DeductionsModel 64 1
- Papilio UK Equity Release Mortgages Ltd 188 1
- Rental Income 301 6
- Payroll 2012/13 107 1
- I have a pain 697 6
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 87 1
- convert directors loan account to share capital 179 5
- Anyone else seen incorrect tax code notices - rather worring! 736 17
- Belated VAT Exception Application 124 3
- Cash flow 148 2
- New use of home - simplified method 253 4
- CGT and PPR and Lettings Relief? 270 5
- 2 year rule? Self employed. 401 13
- How long is filing an FPS meant to take ? 1,958 32
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 734
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 501
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 347
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 342
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 264
- VAT on Gaming Machines 213
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 200
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 187
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 179
- Director Loan account operation 150