Post Cessation Expenses
A solicitor ceased trading 3 years ago but since that time has incurred the following costs:
1. A number of claims have been made against him where he has had to pay the insurance excesses. This has amounted to tens of thousands.
Can this be claimed as post-cessation expenses on the basis that this is 'remedying defective work done' and does this have to be claimed in the year the payment is made?
2. The solicitor received significant sums to do with miners claims during the time he traded. However, the claims for costs by solicitors were judged to be excessive. This judgement was made after the solicitor ceased trading.
Can this be classified as 'bad debts' and claimed at any time up to 7 years after cessation?
Thanks for any feedback.
- Reversal of Warranty Provision 193 7
- Transfer of stock 123 5
- Do you get your clients to sign their EOY EPS submission? 712 9
- Are these allowable capital expenditures for a jewellery retail shop? 366 12
- error on companies house accounts 587 16
- FBI2 109 2
- Any Answers changes - feedback required 3,585 116
- Statutory Residence Test - is HMRC Guidance wrong? 1,105 9
- Tolley UK sales number 41 1
- On line Remote Training 94 2
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 379 9
- PPR election time limit - change in the number of residences 69 1
- Virtually Impossible 364 6
- Personal allowance for non-resident 97 2
- Anti- Money Laundering - CIMA Practising Certification Application 151 2
- Brightpay 101 1
- SAGE 50 - Invoice Date 63 1
- Newly Started Practice 605 12
- SSP days and Holidays 156 2
- Are accountants keeping up with the pace of change? 573 6
- QROP pension input amounts 486
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 461
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 428
- EPS and CIS deductions 281
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 274
- Construction CIS LLP Company 264
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 226
- SAGE winforecast 189
- Managing deliberate defaulters hmrc 183
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 175