Post Cessation Expenses
A solicitor ceased trading 3 years ago but since that time has incurred the following costs:
1. A number of claims have been made against him where he has had to pay the insurance excesses. This has amounted to tens of thousands.
Can this be claimed as post-cessation expenses on the basis that this is 'remedying defective work done' and does this have to be claimed in the year the payment is made?
2. The solicitor received significant sums to do with miners claims during the time he traded. However, the claims for costs by solicitors were judged to be excessive. This judgement was made after the solicitor ceased trading.
Can this be classified as 'bad debts' and claimed at any time up to 7 years after cessation?
Thanks for any feedback.
- How much tax should I be payng? 752 33
- Register for self assessment again as LLP member? 165 4
- Technical reference 203 2
- EIS/SEIS 226 2
- Can S455 tax repaid 292 4
- Foreign pension tax credit relief 187 2
- Form EIS3 122 2
- Comprehensive herd adjustment guidance 152 1
- Does director/largest shareholder's unpaid share capital need to go on a CT600A? 134 5
- Tax return for 05/04/13 shows income for year to 31/01/14 139 2
- Bank loan incorrectly posted 165 3
- CORPORATION TAX ONLINE - BOX 131 241 7
- Box AC60 HMRC Micro-entities CT600 filing 138 2
- Are you a member of the Aweb LinkedIn group? 216 2
- is the new landlord entitled to the 3 month exemption from business rates for empty premises, 190 4
- Foreign Partner - SA109? 84 1
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 454 7
- 10 Worst xmas presents for an accountant 798 10
- CPD - any cheap online sources? 326 7
- P11D penalties 232 1
- The booking.com con 336
- WWOOFers 325
- Cocaine anyone? 319
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 303
- Trade and asset transfers – fair value adjustments 200
- Restriction on loss relief from 2013-14 192
- logical office 181
- Purpose of issuing Holding share capital for s135 share exchange 177
- Associated companies where SCI with only one company in group 173
- barclays UK vesus barclays US 164