Post Cessation Expenses
A solicitor ceased trading 3 years ago but since that time has incurred the following costs:
1. A number of claims have been made against him where he has had to pay the insurance excesses. This has amounted to tens of thousands.
Can this be claimed as post-cessation expenses on the basis that this is 'remedying defective work done' and does this have to be claimed in the year the payment is made?
2. The solicitor received significant sums to do with miners claims during the time he traded. However, the claims for costs by solicitors were judged to be excessive. This judgement was made after the solicitor ceased trading.
Can this be classified as 'bad debts' and claimed at any time up to 7 years after cessation?
Thanks for any feedback.
- Small hotel - food for personal use 128 2
- Late RTI submissions on change of accountants 85 2
- Xero Pain Points 185 11
- VAT - How hard is it? 297 15
- Tax Return for arrivals into the UK 129 4
- New starter - tax code 94 3
- Tax Filer - Transfering figures from partnership to personal returns 92 4
- Copies of every transaction can't be OK!! 546 9
- ACCOUNTING TREATMENT FOR DISBURSEMENTS 219 3
- Childcare 256 4
- Bookkeeping - Relevant Qualifications? 210 2
- The importance of Grammar 784 21
- Overdrawn directors loan account. 790 19
- New .accountant domain name extension 98 1
- VAT REGISTATIONS 200 4
- SA302 list of lenders accepting alternative 1,457 18
- Can I force IRIS to produce an amended tax return ? 206 5
- Fees for successfully defending a COP9 enquiry 411 12
- Why does Aweb always take the nuclear option … 2,535 53
- Is this dodgy? 776 17
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 357
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 293
- HMRC RTI Filing Problem 278
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 276
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 268
- Electric Car 219
- S222 Charge 199
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 192
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 188
- Company Structure 168