Post Cessation Expenses
A solicitor ceased trading 3 years ago but since that time has incurred the following costs:
1. A number of claims have been made against him where he has had to pay the insurance excesses. This has amounted to tens of thousands.
Can this be claimed as post-cessation expenses on the basis that this is 'remedying defective work done' and does this have to be claimed in the year the payment is made?
2. The solicitor received significant sums to do with miners claims during the time he traded. However, the claims for costs by solicitors were judged to be excessive. This judgement was made after the solicitor ceased trading.
Can this be classified as 'bad debts' and claimed at any time up to 7 years after cessation?
Thanks for any feedback.
- Love is in the air 577 7
- Personal Pension Relief in the Tax Code 174 2
- Auto enrolment confusion 2,048 47
- CGT on lost shares/scam 372 4
- Setting up a practice 417 5
- Very large share capital by mistake 524 7
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 486 4
- 24 month rule and expenses 306 1
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 659 17
- Stamp Duty 297 4
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 239 4
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,816 21
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 616 5
- Incorporation of gp practise 301 1
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 265 9
- Client Paperwork Retention? 583 13
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 589 7
- Tax Overlap Reporting 408 4
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 403 9
- Reimbursing director travel costs 462 6
- DTA tie-breaker issue 304
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 294
- CGT for NOn UK residents 281
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 278
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 256
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 241
- Apprenticeship Levy 240
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 225
- Discretionary payment to sick employee 222
- Capital Gains personal representatives 221