Potential New Client - Limited Company struck off without submitting accounts and still being used by client
An Australian national came to the UK in August 2008 and signed up with an accountant specialising in antipodean clients. The accountant formed a VAT registered limited company for the client who has been using it for CIS work ever since.
The client says he has only ever had sporadic communication with the accountant and has now discovered the accountant himself has gone back to New Zealand with no ongoing contact details. From looking at Companies House website, the company was struck off in March 2010 - presumably by Co. House themselves after no annual return was submitted.
The registered office address is still showing that of the accountants and the client has not been forwarded anything from HMRC in respect of CT. The client thought his accountant was taking care of what needed doing and has no idea what's happened in respect of PAYE/CIS operation or end of year submissions. He is, however, in correspondence with the VAT office about late returns/arrears so they obviously have his correct details on file.
To complicate matters further, the client had no idea the company was struck off and has been happily issuing invoices for work done and recieving money into the limited company bank account as recently as last week!
The client is keen to put his affairs in order and do whatever needs to be done but it's an odd scenario so it would be helpful to get some background as to what would be involved before I decide to take the client on, specifically in terms of:
- How to account to HMRC for the income/profits earned now that the company is struck off
- Dealing with the VAT debt in this situation
- Obligations in respect of P35 returns
- The legal status regarding the company bank account
- Guaranteed rents - which is the turnover? 110 2
- flat rate scheme 1,913 38
- Time to react ? ? ? 257 2
- which accounts package for busy hairdressers? 119 1
- How much would you charge for an interim audit? 630 9
- Anyone else experiencing issues with sage 50 payroll 127 3
- Company Share Buy Back 125 2
- Charitable Payment 206 4
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 927 15
- Unpaid share capital 256 3
- Company car in the LLP 185 2
- Physiotherapy 340 4
- New build property to be rented 180 4
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,885 52
- Hello 361 2
- Sage 200 question 120 1
- Spanish Assets taxation - UK Residence 115 2
- Ltd Co and Fully Paid Shares 190 5
- RTI and Advances to Employees 191 3
- Sorry - another PPR question 223 4