Potential New Client - Limited Company struck off without submitting accounts and still being used by client
An Australian national came to the UK in August 2008 and signed up with an accountant specialising in antipodean clients. The accountant formed a VAT registered limited company for the client who has been using it for CIS work ever since.
The client says he has only ever had sporadic communication with the accountant and has now discovered the accountant himself has gone back to New Zealand with no ongoing contact details. From looking at Companies House website, the company was struck off in March 2010 - presumably by Co. House themselves after no annual return was submitted.
The registered office address is still showing that of the accountants and the client has not been forwarded anything from HMRC in respect of CT. The client thought his accountant was taking care of what needed doing and has no idea what's happened in respect of PAYE/CIS operation or end of year submissions. He is, however, in correspondence with the VAT office about late returns/arrears so they obviously have his correct details on file.
To complicate matters further, the client had no idea the company was struck off and has been happily issuing invoices for work done and recieving money into the limited company bank account as recently as last week!
The client is keen to put his affairs in order and do whatever needs to be done but it's an odd scenario so it would be helpful to get some background as to what would be involved before I decide to take the client on, specifically in terms of:
- How to account to HMRC for the income/profits earned now that the company is struck off
- Dealing with the VAT debt in this situation
- Obligations in respect of P35 returns
- The legal status regarding the company bank account
- CGT and primary residence 109 1
- No PAYE Registration but need auto enrolment 409 10
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 721 19
- Marriage Allowance 199 3
- Private doctors - Ltd company vs partnership 1,089 12
- Leaving the VAT FRS Scheme or trying to stay as long as possible? 356 4
- S455 and February year ends 259 7
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 1,247 32
- HMRC having technical difficulties 820 18
- Closing down loss-making company 417 5
- S.455 Tax again 270 3
- New Build 328 2
- Taxation of sinking fund contributions 371 4
- Mortgage Reference 779 10
- RTI offline? 184 1
- Right To Manage Company 275 4
- Day allowance working in Qatar 167 1
- Giving shares away 335 6
- Entrepreneurs relief after enhancement 633 5
- Incorporate to utilise dividend allowance next year? 286 5