Potential New Client - Limited Company struck off without submitting accounts and still being used by client
An Australian national came to the UK in August 2008 and signed up with an accountant specialising in antipodean clients. The accountant formed a VAT registered limited company for the client who has been using it for CIS work ever since.
The client says he has only ever had sporadic communication with the accountant and has now discovered the accountant himself has gone back to New Zealand with no ongoing contact details. From looking at Companies House website, the company was struck off in March 2010 - presumably by Co. House themselves after no annual return was submitted.
The registered office address is still showing that of the accountants and the client has not been forwarded anything from HMRC in respect of CT. The client thought his accountant was taking care of what needed doing and has no idea what's happened in respect of PAYE/CIS operation or end of year submissions. He is, however, in correspondence with the VAT office about late returns/arrears so they obviously have his correct details on file.
To complicate matters further, the client had no idea the company was struck off and has been happily issuing invoices for work done and recieving money into the limited company bank account as recently as last week!
The client is keen to put his affairs in order and do whatever needs to be done but it's an odd scenario so it would be helpful to get some background as to what would be involved before I decide to take the client on, specifically in terms of:
- How to account to HMRC for the income/profits earned now that the company is struck off
- Dealing with the VAT debt in this situation
- Obligations in respect of P35 returns
- The legal status regarding the company bank account
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,081 20
- QBO VAT box 2 and 4 120 1
- VAT - Check on clients business 597 25
- Transfer of a trade WITHOUT assets? 113 1
- Amend a 2010/11 return 113 1
- Advanced SMP, but employee returns to work early 165 1
- How to deal with prior year error 161 2
- Repaying Directors Loans within 9 months 531 19
- Bookkeeping Rate of Pay 2,340 33
- What's the Barmiest Reason A Client gave you for going? 2,050 20
- Tax Calculations 657 10
- Tax Fines - HMRC 409 4
- Exemption from CGT 239 2
- VAT Registration 249 3
- Digita Users - Can you please confirm? 467 14
- Autumn statement predictions 440 8
- ACCA Practising Certificate Holder 344 4
- How to claim relief under a Double Taxation Agreement 193 3
- Moneysoft error 436 7
- Repaying Directors loan by transferring an asset 649 26