Potential New Client - Limited Company struck off without submitting accounts and still being used by client
An Australian national came to the UK in August 2008 and signed up with an accountant specialising in antipodean clients. The accountant formed a VAT registered limited company for the client who has been using it for CIS work ever since.
The client says he has only ever had sporadic communication with the accountant and has now discovered the accountant himself has gone back to New Zealand with no ongoing contact details. From looking at Companies House website, the company was struck off in March 2010 - presumably by Co. House themselves after no annual return was submitted.
The registered office address is still showing that of the accountants and the client has not been forwarded anything from HMRC in respect of CT. The client thought his accountant was taking care of what needed doing and has no idea what's happened in respect of PAYE/CIS operation or end of year submissions. He is, however, in correspondence with the VAT office about late returns/arrears so they obviously have his correct details on file.
To complicate matters further, the client had no idea the company was struck off and has been happily issuing invoices for work done and recieving money into the limited company bank account as recently as last week!
The client is keen to put his affairs in order and do whatever needs to be done but it's an odd scenario so it would be helpful to get some background as to what would be involved before I decide to take the client on, specifically in terms of:
- How to account to HMRC for the income/profits earned now that the company is struck off
- Dealing with the VAT debt in this situation
- Obligations in respect of P35 returns
- The legal status regarding the company bank account
- flat rate scheme 654 19
- How to reward a long standing employee 132 1
- Office 365 vs. Google apps 233 5
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,504 43
- Unqualified accountants filing SATR, VAT returns etc for clients 164 3
- New intermediaries reporting requirements 184 2
- Windows 7 to 8 should I go Excel or Office 365 180 3
- Special dividends & CGT 277 2
- Attachment of Orders 115 1
- Sage instant account codes 263 2
- Allocation of income from property 250 7
- Protocol to be followed for professional clearance 179 2
- Turnover on a tax return 713 13
- UK tax exposure 391 7
- Companies House Presenter Account 182 3
- regulated mortgage work? 230 3
- Employer Making Employee Calculate own Holiday Pay 195 1
- Non-UK resident - where to pay income tax? 299 8
- What do young accountants know that you don't? 2,305 11
- How much would you charge for an interim audit? 571 8