PPR capital gains &letting relief
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
In Aug. '07 I sold a small terrace house I'd owned for 4 years 10 months, which I had rented-out and then lived in.
The house was bought with the intention that it would be my own home. However, at the time of purchase, due to medical reasons, I was unable to work, so bought the house on a buy-to-let mortgage and rented it out, whilst I lived with my parents. This situation continued for approx. 4 years 6 months: house rented out, and me living without employment with parents.
After this time I began living at the property (still with btl mortgage) with the hope of staying indefinitely. Due to continued difficulties, however, I decided it would be best to sell the house (not wishing to rent it out again), and return to living with my parents. I put the house on the market, therefore, and it sold very quickly.
Between the tenants leaving and completion of the sale, I lived at the house for 4 1/2 months. After costs the capital gain was @£60k. My only income for the 07/08 tax year is @ £2,500 from bank interest.
1) Is there likely to be any problem establishing PPR? I have utilities bills, a land-line phone bill and council tax bills addressed to me there, as well as letters from my estate agent and solicitor concerning the house sale. (Although apart from these, I'm not sure what else I could show).
2) Assuming PPR is established, am I eligible for letting relief? If I am, would it be equal to the relief for the 4 1/2 months I lived there, or to the 36 months total PPR I would get.
- Two clients (married to each other) disappeared from client list 191 5
- Holding companies 117 5
- Money transfers between companies owned by one person 70 1
- Offsetting CIS tax suffered against CT 73 2
- another ir35!!!! 955 5
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 125 3
- I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes 510 6
- Soil Survey Required Mortgage 195 6
- What does it mean?? 165 2
- PayPal Transaction Analysis 72 2
- Donations/grants by a CIC 167 1
- VAT Registration 389 18
- Gifting shares 226 4
- Is our client doing anything wrong? 641 5
- Childminding & Wear & Tear Allowance 83 1
- Notes to statutory accounts 186 9
- VAT on motor expenses 847 30
- A question about share structure 173 2
- VAT & Landlords 112 2
- Client died family to pay redundancy 213 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,525
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 838
- International interest certificate 456
- NOVA 314
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 202
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 200
- Bonus Bonds 198
- Management expenses for investment company 189
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 175
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 165