PPR capital gains &letting relief
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
In Aug. '07 I sold a small terrace house I'd owned for 4 years 10 months, which I had rented-out and then lived in.
The house was bought with the intention that it would be my own home. However, at the time of purchase, due to medical reasons, I was unable to work, so bought the house on a buy-to-let mortgage and rented it out, whilst I lived with my parents. This situation continued for approx. 4 years 6 months: house rented out, and me living without employment with parents.
After this time I began living at the property (still with btl mortgage) with the hope of staying indefinitely. Due to continued difficulties, however, I decided it would be best to sell the house (not wishing to rent it out again), and return to living with my parents. I put the house on the market, therefore, and it sold very quickly.
Between the tenants leaving and completion of the sale, I lived at the house for 4 1/2 months. After costs the capital gain was @£60k. My only income for the 07/08 tax year is @ £2,500 from bank interest.
1) Is there likely to be any problem establishing PPR? I have utilities bills, a land-line phone bill and council tax bills addressed to me there, as well as letters from my estate agent and solicitor concerning the house sale. (Although apart from these, I'm not sure what else I could show).
2) Assuming PPR is established, am I eligible for letting relief? If I am, would it be equal to the relief for the 4 1/2 months I lived there, or to the 36 months total PPR I would get.
- Income from rent charged to business 32 1
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 409 5
- Statutory sick pay 275 4
- Dividend in specie 350 9
- Complicated Company car purchase 201 2
- Ltd Company Buying Own Shares and Transferring Assets 163 3
- Cash basis 470 12
- Retail vat schemes for a restaurant 136 1
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 262 1
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 290 1
- Ownership of land - declaration of trust 155 3
- Fee base v staff ratio 337 6
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,844 27
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 322 3
- Unincorporated organistion ceasing to exist 232 2
- Gift in kind to charity by company: services 93 1
- Investor exit 191 3
- Partially exempt? 371 10
- Debtor/creditor set-off 160 1
- Redundancy payment added to p45 414 3
- Skandia using wrong address 561
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 305
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 302
- Employee rewards 285
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 241
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 223
- Etax Australian 182
- LLP in Construction Industry 147
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 129
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 129