PPR capital gains &letting relief
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
In Aug. '07 I sold a small terrace house I'd owned for 4 years 10 months, which I had rented-out and then lived in.
The house was bought with the intention that it would be my own home. However, at the time of purchase, due to medical reasons, I was unable to work, so bought the house on a buy-to-let mortgage and rented it out, whilst I lived with my parents. This situation continued for approx. 4 years 6 months: house rented out, and me living without employment with parents.
After this time I began living at the property (still with btl mortgage) with the hope of staying indefinitely. Due to continued difficulties, however, I decided it would be best to sell the house (not wishing to rent it out again), and return to living with my parents. I put the house on the market, therefore, and it sold very quickly.
Between the tenants leaving and completion of the sale, I lived at the house for 4 1/2 months. After costs the capital gain was @£60k. My only income for the 07/08 tax year is @ £2,500 from bank interest.
1) Is there likely to be any problem establishing PPR? I have utilities bills, a land-line phone bill and council tax bills addressed to me there, as well as letters from my estate agent and solicitor concerning the house sale. (Although apart from these, I'm not sure what else I could show).
2) Assuming PPR is established, am I eligible for letting relief? If I am, would it be equal to the relief for the 4 1/2 months I lived there, or to the 36 months total PPR I would get.
- Thinning income 285 1
- Directors, service companies and national minimum wage (NMW) - Profit extraction 320 10
- I forgiven loan an Output? 83 1
- Vat Exemption moving to a partnership 177 2
- Allowable for Corporation Tax? 166 4
- Audacity 1,300 22
- Buying a company for £2000 from owner how it works? 190 4
- Seeking advice: Paying Funeral Costs 685 8
- partnership first tax return 123 1
- Payroll got out of synch 367 11
- Charitable incorporated organisation 86 1
- Claiming the expenses of Scooby 273 3
- tax credits 163 2
- Seeking advice: Freehold Pub Lease 292 9
- Legitimate Expectation 185 2
- What do do about VAT? 478 14
- Holding company - accounts and tax return 102 1
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 1,101 23
- Amending 13-14 sole trader return to reflect increased profit in 14-15 180 2
- Client right to working papers 1,265 8
- NHS finance professionals 591
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 387
- Foreign Pension Contribution 362
- vat gross profit percentage margins 333
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 323
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 303
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 269
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 221
- IFA income recognition & reporting 198
- Incorporating doctors 191