PPR capital gains &letting relief
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
In Aug. '07 I sold a small terrace house I'd owned for 4 years 10 months, which I had rented-out and then lived in.
The house was bought with the intention that it would be my own home. However, at the time of purchase, due to medical reasons, I was unable to work, so bought the house on a buy-to-let mortgage and rented it out, whilst I lived with my parents. This situation continued for approx. 4 years 6 months: house rented out, and me living without employment with parents.
After this time I began living at the property (still with btl mortgage) with the hope of staying indefinitely. Due to continued difficulties, however, I decided it would be best to sell the house (not wishing to rent it out again), and return to living with my parents. I put the house on the market, therefore, and it sold very quickly.
Between the tenants leaving and completion of the sale, I lived at the house for 4 1/2 months. After costs the capital gain was @£60k. My only income for the 07/08 tax year is @ £2,500 from bank interest.
1) Is there likely to be any problem establishing PPR? I have utilities bills, a land-line phone bill and council tax bills addressed to me there, as well as letters from my estate agent and solicitor concerning the house sale. (Although apart from these, I'm not sure what else I could show).
2) Assuming PPR is established, am I eligible for letting relief? If I am, would it be equal to the relief for the 4 1/2 months I lived there, or to the 36 months total PPR I would get.
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 134 2
- Merging my businesses 190 3
- Spousal transfer and PPR 554 19
- What shall I reduce payments on account to? 40 1
- Where has Portia gone? 1,938 66
- Deferred Tax Asset & Liability 354 8
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 453 8
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 327 9
- Sage Vat return box 2 324 1
- Holiday entitlement 576 11
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 188 4
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 464 12
- Performance measurement within accounting practice 317 7
- Capital allowances on taxis 134 1
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 142 2
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 924 21
- Can i reclaim tax if my fuel cost more than the AFR in a company car 224 3
- Sage line 50 payment before invoice date 208 11
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 424 10
- Property Purchase in Daughters Name 357 9
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 789
- RTI - duplicate employee record 553
- Pensions Regulator 449
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 409
- Sanzar 312
- Portia ... Where art thou 302
- Digital marketing focus group 296
- How do you do it 291
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 269
- Report old income 241