PPR capital gains &letting relief
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
In Aug. '07 I sold a small terrace house I'd owned for 4 years 10 months, which I had rented-out and then lived in.
The house was bought with the intention that it would be my own home. However, at the time of purchase, due to medical reasons, I was unable to work, so bought the house on a buy-to-let mortgage and rented it out, whilst I lived with my parents. This situation continued for approx. 4 years 6 months: house rented out, and me living without employment with parents.
After this time I began living at the property (still with btl mortgage) with the hope of staying indefinitely. Due to continued difficulties, however, I decided it would be best to sell the house (not wishing to rent it out again), and return to living with my parents. I put the house on the market, therefore, and it sold very quickly.
Between the tenants leaving and completion of the sale, I lived at the house for 4 1/2 months. After costs the capital gain was @£60k. My only income for the 07/08 tax year is @ £2,500 from bank interest.
1) Is there likely to be any problem establishing PPR? I have utilities bills, a land-line phone bill and council tax bills addressed to me there, as well as letters from my estate agent and solicitor concerning the house sale. (Although apart from these, I'm not sure what else I could show).
2) Assuming PPR is established, am I eligible for letting relief? If I am, would it be equal to the relief for the 4 1/2 months I lived there, or to the 36 months total PPR I would get.
- Self Help Accountancy Book for Client 152 3
- VAT registration on digital services supplied outside UK within EU 95 6
- Late RTI filing re SMP 94 2
- Additional information attached to accounts 182 2
- CIS Software 113 1
- Company assets 361 16
- Can anyone recommend a fax send/receive service which I can use via email? 220 6
- MoneySoft 166 2
- Best way to advise a limited company client 71 1
- How to convert a pdf file to.. 661 10
- Payroll cessation and missing overtime 144 2
- Self assessment 149 1
- Claiming VAT 127 2
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 1,120 15
- VAT on Acquisitions and Exempt Supplier 176 4
- Corporation tax on gains from one company to another 274 10
- HMRC website & Adobe Reader 270 5
- Basis period (2nd yr) for a partnership, please any suggestions would be really helpful 155 1
- Auto-enrolment - fact or fiction? 511 9
- Director resignation 741 21
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 503
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 478
- Is there anything wrong with this? 279
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 266
- Uncommercial property business 241
- Apple Employees - RSU vesting and tax witheld 204
- Registering online CWF1 183
- Zoho software in small accounting and bookkeeping practice 180
- Accrued income scheme 179
- VAT - registration needed? 179