PPR capital gains &letting relief
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
In Aug. '07 I sold a small terrace house I'd owned for 4 years 10 months, which I had rented-out and then lived in.
The house was bought with the intention that it would be my own home. However, at the time of purchase, due to medical reasons, I was unable to work, so bought the house on a buy-to-let mortgage and rented it out, whilst I lived with my parents. This situation continued for approx. 4 years 6 months: house rented out, and me living without employment with parents.
After this time I began living at the property (still with btl mortgage) with the hope of staying indefinitely. Due to continued difficulties, however, I decided it would be best to sell the house (not wishing to rent it out again), and return to living with my parents. I put the house on the market, therefore, and it sold very quickly.
Between the tenants leaving and completion of the sale, I lived at the house for 4 1/2 months. After costs the capital gain was @£60k. My only income for the 07/08 tax year is @ £2,500 from bank interest.
1) Is there likely to be any problem establishing PPR? I have utilities bills, a land-line phone bill and council tax bills addressed to me there, as well as letters from my estate agent and solicitor concerning the house sale. (Although apart from these, I'm not sure what else I could show).
2) Assuming PPR is established, am I eligible for letting relief? If I am, would it be equal to the relief for the 4 1/2 months I lived there, or to the 36 months total PPR I would get.
- Software recommendations? 285 4
- Goodie bag 118 2
- Budget 2015 predictions 188 5
- Husband Wife let property 138 2
- Lack of Quickbooks Online Coverage 440 8
- Career in Practice 122 2
- Relevant life plan 343 8
- Limited Company expenses 377 8
- Physiotherapy And Vat 195 6
- Telemarketing 162 4
- 6th March RTI deadline. Can FPS be submitted on 6th March? 157 1
- Awkward shareholder (sister) 143 1
- New tax codes for ex-employees 181 3
- how to value rental space 104 3
- Directors loan - no longer a director 330 4
- NHS PENSIONS XFER ABROAD 70 1
- We contribute a percentage of employees' salaries to a pension scheme set up by them - do we need to get involved in auto-enrolment? 464 5
- Output tax for retailer 265 6
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 451 11
- Failure to operate PAYE 1,938 32
- Possible Partnership? 603
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 501
- New Fangled Penalties 410
- Clubs and Taxable Income 332
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 299
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 255
- Loans to other companies 244
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 214
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 212
- Outsource Data Entry 211