PPR capital gains &letting relief
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
In Aug. '07 I sold a small terrace house I'd owned for 4 years 10 months, which I had rented-out and then lived in.
The house was bought with the intention that it would be my own home. However, at the time of purchase, due to medical reasons, I was unable to work, so bought the house on a buy-to-let mortgage and rented it out, whilst I lived with my parents. This situation continued for approx. 4 years 6 months: house rented out, and me living without employment with parents.
After this time I began living at the property (still with btl mortgage) with the hope of staying indefinitely. Due to continued difficulties, however, I decided it would be best to sell the house (not wishing to rent it out again), and return to living with my parents. I put the house on the market, therefore, and it sold very quickly.
Between the tenants leaving and completion of the sale, I lived at the house for 4 1/2 months. After costs the capital gain was @£60k. My only income for the 07/08 tax year is @ £2,500 from bank interest.
1) Is there likely to be any problem establishing PPR? I have utilities bills, a land-line phone bill and council tax bills addressed to me there, as well as letters from my estate agent and solicitor concerning the house sale. (Although apart from these, I'm not sure what else I could show).
2) Assuming PPR is established, am I eligible for letting relief? If I am, would it be equal to the relief for the 4 1/2 months I lived there, or to the 36 months total PPR I would get.
- Vat payable on van 36 1
- Account and Taxable Profit 211 13
- Class 2 NIC 208 4
- Bookkeeping Rate of Pay 2,823 42
- Accounting for corporation tax 116 4
- Invoices raised after company dissolution 229 7
- Community Faux Pas 905 26
- Cash gift from India 67 1
- Is cloud accounting actually pretty pants? 2,295 40
- Windows10 141 4
- Taxi Drivers Cost of Sale 611 24
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,671 36
- Is self-employment "another job" for PAYE 316 6
- Digita Accounts Production Advanced - general perception 459 25
- A thursday afternoon muse 197 2
- Barrister "M25 Patch"? 374 6
- Probate services 406 8
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 863 5
- Unusual marketing methods for accountants 781 14
- An IT question 278 6
- ACCA Shenanigans subject of EDM 835
- Benchmark accounting software 691
- Members in Public Practice 515
- Sole trader registering for the first time 328
- Oplex Careers CPD 321
- What are HMRC implying? 295
- VAT 257
- My own & spouse's Irish returns & ROS 246
- Payroll manager and the cloud 215
- Is the APN valid 196