PPR capital gains &letting relief
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
In Aug. '07 I sold a small terrace house I'd owned for 4 years 10 months, which I had rented-out and then lived in.
The house was bought with the intention that it would be my own home. However, at the time of purchase, due to medical reasons, I was unable to work, so bought the house on a buy-to-let mortgage and rented it out, whilst I lived with my parents. This situation continued for approx. 4 years 6 months: house rented out, and me living without employment with parents.
After this time I began living at the property (still with btl mortgage) with the hope of staying indefinitely. Due to continued difficulties, however, I decided it would be best to sell the house (not wishing to rent it out again), and return to living with my parents. I put the house on the market, therefore, and it sold very quickly.
Between the tenants leaving and completion of the sale, I lived at the house for 4 1/2 months. After costs the capital gain was @£60k. My only income for the 07/08 tax year is @ £2,500 from bank interest.
1) Is there likely to be any problem establishing PPR? I have utilities bills, a land-line phone bill and council tax bills addressed to me there, as well as letters from my estate agent and solicitor concerning the house sale. (Although apart from these, I'm not sure what else I could show).
2) Assuming PPR is established, am I eligible for letting relief? If I am, would it be equal to the relief for the 4 1/2 months I lived there, or to the 36 months total PPR I would get.
- Undeclared Self Employment 1,553 12
- Audit Required 102 3
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 2,755 25
- Value pricing 220 8
- company secretarial software 140 2
- Tax repayment for 2013-14 140 3
- Elective DeductionsModel 62 1
- Papilio UK Equity Release Mortgages Ltd 187 1
- Rental Income 299 6
- Payroll 2012/13 102 1
- I have a pain 692 6
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 82 1
- convert directors loan account to share capital 173 5
- Anyone else seen incorrect tax code notices - rather worring! 734 17
- Belated VAT Exception Application 121 3
- Cash flow 147 2
- New use of home - simplified method 247 4
- CGT and PPR and Lettings Relief? 267 5
- 2 year rule? Self employed. 396 13
- How long is filing an FPS meant to take ? 1,955 32
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 731
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 500
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 344
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 342
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 263
- VAT on Gaming Machines 211
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 199
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 184
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 176
- Director Loan account operation 147