PPR capital gains &letting relief
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
In Aug. '07 I sold a small terrace house I'd owned for 4 years 10 months, which I had rented-out and then lived in.
The house was bought with the intention that it would be my own home. However, at the time of purchase, due to medical reasons, I was unable to work, so bought the house on a buy-to-let mortgage and rented it out, whilst I lived with my parents. This situation continued for approx. 4 years 6 months: house rented out, and me living without employment with parents.
After this time I began living at the property (still with btl mortgage) with the hope of staying indefinitely. Due to continued difficulties, however, I decided it would be best to sell the house (not wishing to rent it out again), and return to living with my parents. I put the house on the market, therefore, and it sold very quickly.
Between the tenants leaving and completion of the sale, I lived at the house for 4 1/2 months. After costs the capital gain was @£60k. My only income for the 07/08 tax year is @ £2,500 from bank interest.
1) Is there likely to be any problem establishing PPR? I have utilities bills, a land-line phone bill and council tax bills addressed to me there, as well as letters from my estate agent and solicitor concerning the house sale. (Although apart from these, I'm not sure what else I could show).
2) Assuming PPR is established, am I eligible for letting relief? If I am, would it be equal to the relief for the 4 1/2 months I lived there, or to the 36 months total PPR I would get.
- first year company tax return for a limited company 128 5
- Real names 1,231 37
- Dissolve a Ltd Company - How much do you charge? 388 7
- reliable alternative to registered ofice required 87 1
- Expenses Apps 148 2
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 159 4
- Quick Easy Quote 234 4
- What are options for non CA firm 1,782 29
- Solicitor accounts 42 1
- Unallocated client money 223 7
- Donaldson v HMRC case being heard tomorrow! 182 2
- change of office address 112 4
- Hive up - accounting and notes to financial statements 218 3
- Incorporation Relief 116 4
- Letting income or partnership income? 93 2
- Legal Advice Needed Bank Account Blocked 354 4
- Furniture Rental Business 96 2
- Client Death 548 9
- Accounts formation/ speculative advertising 196 4
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 354 2
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 602
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 476
- Sorry ignore me 378
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 366
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 278
- Cancelled 241
- Cancelled 212
- Bartercard 172
- C79 Discrepancy 166
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 159