PPR capital gains &letting relief
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
In Aug. '07 I sold a small terrace house I'd owned for 4 years 10 months, which I had rented-out and then lived in.
The house was bought with the intention that it would be my own home. However, at the time of purchase, due to medical reasons, I was unable to work, so bought the house on a buy-to-let mortgage and rented it out, whilst I lived with my parents. This situation continued for approx. 4 years 6 months: house rented out, and me living without employment with parents.
After this time I began living at the property (still with btl mortgage) with the hope of staying indefinitely. Due to continued difficulties, however, I decided it would be best to sell the house (not wishing to rent it out again), and return to living with my parents. I put the house on the market, therefore, and it sold very quickly.
Between the tenants leaving and completion of the sale, I lived at the house for 4 1/2 months. After costs the capital gain was @£60k. My only income for the 07/08 tax year is @ £2,500 from bank interest.
1) Is there likely to be any problem establishing PPR? I have utilities bills, a land-line phone bill and council tax bills addressed to me there, as well as letters from my estate agent and solicitor concerning the house sale. (Although apart from these, I'm not sure what else I could show).
2) Assuming PPR is established, am I eligible for letting relief? If I am, would it be equal to the relief for the 4 1/2 months I lived there, or to the 36 months total PPR I would get.
- Tax - Paying Yearly 151 7
- Entrepreneur's Relief Query 118 1
- When is commencing trading not commening trading 161 3
- Income tax: Interaction between new marriage allowance and new nil band on savings interest 176 1
- charities 206 3
- Anyone using PracticePA? 222 3
- How do I correct a previous accountants major mistake on PAYE/SA? 424 4
- How to find difference in Sage bank rec 273 6
- Auto enrollment. What's the basis for contribution ? 97 1
- Seeking advice: CGT after divorce when house sold and neither party was resident 173 2
- New company uses old Bank Account 213 2
- converting garage to use as office 277 2
- recommended auto-enrolment pension scheme providers 647 13
- HOW is anyone obtaining an EORI number prior to shipment? 124 2
- Sage Drive Queue.dta file lock out 328 7
- How best to split income on a Buy To Let - married. How do you decide beneficial ownership 1,182 11
- Strike off 434 9
- Contracting, Subcontracting and Agency Worker Regs 144 2
- auto enrolment 284 1
- Shortening an Accounting Reference Date 331 6
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 375
- Any thoughts on Capium? 331
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 293
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 267
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 252
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 228
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 176
- French ConnectionUK 164
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 158
- APN's 157