PPR capital gains &letting relief
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
In Aug. '07 I sold a small terrace house I'd owned for 4 years 10 months, which I had rented-out and then lived in.
The house was bought with the intention that it would be my own home. However, at the time of purchase, due to medical reasons, I was unable to work, so bought the house on a buy-to-let mortgage and rented it out, whilst I lived with my parents. This situation continued for approx. 4 years 6 months: house rented out, and me living without employment with parents.
After this time I began living at the property (still with btl mortgage) with the hope of staying indefinitely. Due to continued difficulties, however, I decided it would be best to sell the house (not wishing to rent it out again), and return to living with my parents. I put the house on the market, therefore, and it sold very quickly.
Between the tenants leaving and completion of the sale, I lived at the house for 4 1/2 months. After costs the capital gain was @£60k. My only income for the 07/08 tax year is @ £2,500 from bank interest.
1) Is there likely to be any problem establishing PPR? I have utilities bills, a land-line phone bill and council tax bills addressed to me there, as well as letters from my estate agent and solicitor concerning the house sale. (Although apart from these, I'm not sure what else I could show).
2) Assuming PPR is established, am I eligible for letting relief? If I am, would it be equal to the relief for the 4 1/2 months I lived there, or to the 36 months total PPR I would get.
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 292 16
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 662 12
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 72 2
- Personal pension 430 9
- Business rates consultancy 255 4
- Wrong tax code 149 6
- Benefit in Kind 239 5
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 71 2
- Am I getting Soft?? 248 10
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 1,051 31
- Deferred Tax 466 8
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 203 1
- You know its over 479 6
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 241 1
- Foreign pension tax credit relief 142 1
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 227 3
- RTI and corrections to payroll 1,270 14
- Cocaine anyone? 619 10
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 145 2
- Dutch and Germany VAT 178 3
- Hive up 509
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 473
- corporate hierarchy 450
- Advice - 291
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 235
- WWOOFers 229
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 215
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 192
- The booking.com con 167
- UK State pension paid in NZ 163