PPR capital gains &letting relief
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
In Aug. '07 I sold a small terrace house I'd owned for 4 years 10 months, which I had rented-out and then lived in.
The house was bought with the intention that it would be my own home. However, at the time of purchase, due to medical reasons, I was unable to work, so bought the house on a buy-to-let mortgage and rented it out, whilst I lived with my parents. This situation continued for approx. 4 years 6 months: house rented out, and me living without employment with parents.
After this time I began living at the property (still with btl mortgage) with the hope of staying indefinitely. Due to continued difficulties, however, I decided it would be best to sell the house (not wishing to rent it out again), and return to living with my parents. I put the house on the market, therefore, and it sold very quickly.
Between the tenants leaving and completion of the sale, I lived at the house for 4 1/2 months. After costs the capital gain was @£60k. My only income for the 07/08 tax year is @ £2,500 from bank interest.
1) Is there likely to be any problem establishing PPR? I have utilities bills, a land-line phone bill and council tax bills addressed to me there, as well as letters from my estate agent and solicitor concerning the house sale. (Although apart from these, I'm not sure what else I could show).
2) Assuming PPR is established, am I eligible for letting relief? If I am, would it be equal to the relief for the 4 1/2 months I lived there, or to the 36 months total PPR I would get.
- IR35 deemed payment and dividends - practical considerations 148 3
- VAT on Hire Purchase 168 2
- "Audit Report" 64 1
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 469 13
- Coding Notice 225 6
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 239 6
- New business - journal entries 408 22
- Is CGT roll over relief available for let property 221 3
- Payroll software 644 16
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 266 5
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 396 10
- 100% Annual investment allowance on luxury cars 731 18
- B2B vat in the EU 187 4
- Samadian effect on self employed student support workers 197 4
- Changes to class 2 NIC's 226 3
- Client RTI Shows payments not his 193 4
- LLP as member of LLP 135 1
- Why should I retain membership? 2,836 48
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 512 7
- Vat 306 7
- Auto enrolment excuses 866
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 721
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 409
- Social investment tax relief 219
- Digita Hosted Software 213
- Call Centre Data Costs 200
- accounting for this transaction 192
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 171
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 168
- Travel costs and contractors 167