PPR capital gains &letting relief
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
In Aug. '07 I sold a small terrace house I'd owned for 4 years 10 months, which I had rented-out and then lived in.
The house was bought with the intention that it would be my own home. However, at the time of purchase, due to medical reasons, I was unable to work, so bought the house on a buy-to-let mortgage and rented it out, whilst I lived with my parents. This situation continued for approx. 4 years 6 months: house rented out, and me living without employment with parents.
After this time I began living at the property (still with btl mortgage) with the hope of staying indefinitely. Due to continued difficulties, however, I decided it would be best to sell the house (not wishing to rent it out again), and return to living with my parents. I put the house on the market, therefore, and it sold very quickly.
Between the tenants leaving and completion of the sale, I lived at the house for 4 1/2 months. After costs the capital gain was @£60k. My only income for the 07/08 tax year is @ £2,500 from bank interest.
1) Is there likely to be any problem establishing PPR? I have utilities bills, a land-line phone bill and council tax bills addressed to me there, as well as letters from my estate agent and solicitor concerning the house sale. (Although apart from these, I'm not sure what else I could show).
2) Assuming PPR is established, am I eligible for letting relief? If I am, would it be equal to the relief for the 4 1/2 months I lived there, or to the 36 months total PPR I would get.
- General tax book with planning 140 2
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,194 69
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 275 11
- Gift of property & improvements 109 2
- Error in past Corporate tax return 337 5
- VAT Invoice 125 4
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 800 32
- IHT and Swiss Property 125 1
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 211 3
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 176 7
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 145 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 444 10
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 369 8
- Help with tax codes on Sage 252 1
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 180 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 258 4
- Accounting for a finance lease 160 4
- SA302's anyone?? 534 16
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,643 41
- Renting for military reasons 192 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,620
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 901
- International interest certificate 509
- NOVA 368
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 293
- Management expenses for investment company 263
- Bonus Bonds 261
- tax on apprenticeship income 172
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 172
- P11D benefit received by widow 149