PPR capital gains &letting relief
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
In Aug. '07 I sold a small terrace house I'd owned for 4 years 10 months, which I had rented-out and then lived in.
The house was bought with the intention that it would be my own home. However, at the time of purchase, due to medical reasons, I was unable to work, so bought the house on a buy-to-let mortgage and rented it out, whilst I lived with my parents. This situation continued for approx. 4 years 6 months: house rented out, and me living without employment with parents.
After this time I began living at the property (still with btl mortgage) with the hope of staying indefinitely. Due to continued difficulties, however, I decided it would be best to sell the house (not wishing to rent it out again), and return to living with my parents. I put the house on the market, therefore, and it sold very quickly.
Between the tenants leaving and completion of the sale, I lived at the house for 4 1/2 months. After costs the capital gain was @£60k. My only income for the 07/08 tax year is @ £2,500 from bank interest.
1) Is there likely to be any problem establishing PPR? I have utilities bills, a land-line phone bill and council tax bills addressed to me there, as well as letters from my estate agent and solicitor concerning the house sale. (Although apart from these, I'm not sure what else I could show).
2) Assuming PPR is established, am I eligible for letting relief? If I am, would it be equal to the relief for the 4 1/2 months I lived there, or to the 36 months total PPR I would get.
- Do I walk away from these accounts? 800 16
- Cloud accounting package 119 1
- Incorporation after the start of trading 993 39
- Setting up offshore to avoid paying VAT 484 15
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 257 6
- Offshore company (Guernsey / Isle of Man) 153 3
- PAYE – Directors NI 239 6
- Next Move 333 12
- Ltd Co and 'grant' income 394 7
- when to file SA return if closed SA in the middle of the year 184 4
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 234 3
- Large PAYE tax refund to Employee 336 3
- Personal Tax Accounts. Are we all doomed. 700 10
- Accounts treatment of assets at cessation date 282 10
- Seeking advice: Vehicle usage 164 3
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,236 34
- Casual Driver 255 4
- Self Assessment Software 632 20
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 345 7
- How does HMRC give tax relief to Muslims for borrowing costs? 1,264 10
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 630
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 394
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 394
- Property letting & CAs 377
- 2015 tax year end 372
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 372
- FCA regulated company in a small group 335
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 231
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 224
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 219