PPR capital gains &letting relief
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
In Aug. '07 I sold a small terrace house I'd owned for 4 years 10 months, which I had rented-out and then lived in.
The house was bought with the intention that it would be my own home. However, at the time of purchase, due to medical reasons, I was unable to work, so bought the house on a buy-to-let mortgage and rented it out, whilst I lived with my parents. This situation continued for approx. 4 years 6 months: house rented out, and me living without employment with parents.
After this time I began living at the property (still with btl mortgage) with the hope of staying indefinitely. Due to continued difficulties, however, I decided it would be best to sell the house (not wishing to rent it out again), and return to living with my parents. I put the house on the market, therefore, and it sold very quickly.
Between the tenants leaving and completion of the sale, I lived at the house for 4 1/2 months. After costs the capital gain was @£60k. My only income for the 07/08 tax year is @ £2,500 from bank interest.
1) Is there likely to be any problem establishing PPR? I have utilities bills, a land-line phone bill and council tax bills addressed to me there, as well as letters from my estate agent and solicitor concerning the house sale. (Although apart from these, I'm not sure what else I could show).
2) Assuming PPR is established, am I eligible for letting relief? If I am, would it be equal to the relief for the 4 1/2 months I lived there, or to the 36 months total PPR I would get.
- UKBA financial requirements for spouse visa 49 3
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 1,041 45
- Childcare voucher schemes 208 8
- What sectors to target? 501 25
- Rent a room scheme query. 80 2
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 364 12
- PAYE Control Visit 117 2
- Practice management 314 6
- Repayment of maternity pay 182 4
- Journals to Creditors Control 224 8
- eBay trading 160 3
- Capital allowances on Software 79 1
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 206 10
- Pension contribution 124 3
- Adding employers clients on LinkedIn 215 3
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 281 12
- duplicate 194 1
- Self assesment online 785 8
- Refusing to complete a tax return 710 13
- The Copyright Licensing Agency 216 7
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 916
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 635
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 592
- Latest phishing scam 565
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 394
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 296
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 219
- Scratch Head 219
- Capital allowances in first basis period 202
- Sabbatical payments 188