PPR capital gains &letting relief
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
In Aug. '07 I sold a small terrace house I'd owned for 4 years 10 months, which I had rented-out and then lived in.
The house was bought with the intention that it would be my own home. However, at the time of purchase, due to medical reasons, I was unable to work, so bought the house on a buy-to-let mortgage and rented it out, whilst I lived with my parents. This situation continued for approx. 4 years 6 months: house rented out, and me living without employment with parents.
After this time I began living at the property (still with btl mortgage) with the hope of staying indefinitely. Due to continued difficulties, however, I decided it would be best to sell the house (not wishing to rent it out again), and return to living with my parents. I put the house on the market, therefore, and it sold very quickly.
Between the tenants leaving and completion of the sale, I lived at the house for 4 1/2 months. After costs the capital gain was @£60k. My only income for the 07/08 tax year is @ £2,500 from bank interest.
1) Is there likely to be any problem establishing PPR? I have utilities bills, a land-line phone bill and council tax bills addressed to me there, as well as letters from my estate agent and solicitor concerning the house sale. (Although apart from these, I'm not sure what else I could show).
2) Assuming PPR is established, am I eligible for letting relief? If I am, would it be equal to the relief for the 4 1/2 months I lived there, or to the 36 months total PPR I would get.
- Interprise software 74 1
- TAX, VAT and non-UK residence 498 19
- Charity accounting 262 6
- Outsourcing Payroll 88 1
- sage 109 3
- Separate Pay runs for salary and commission 152 4
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 1,050 13
- ATT Exam tips and study help 207 4
- NO SUCH THING AS UNQUALIED ACCOUNTANT 136 1
- FBI2 200 3
- Double entry 169 4
- Companies House 148 3
- Small house in garden 148 1
- THE PUBLIC SECTOR SUCKS 149 2
- Clients 923 18
- can a dormant company make an employer pension contribution? 290 12
- Manually amending PAYE Code Number in HMRC Basic PAYE Tools 150 5
- Accountants not providing all required information 281 4
- Director's personal expenses paid by the Company 312 5
- Sage 50 - How do I find the column headings when I export to CSV 131 5
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 539
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 470
- EPS and CIS deductions 328
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 311
- Construction CIS LLP Company 302
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 296
- Tax Investigation - Employee Travel 264
- Overdrawn director account 219
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 205
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 200