PPR capital gains &letting relief
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
In Aug. '07 I sold a small terrace house I'd owned for 4 years 10 months, which I had rented-out and then lived in.
The house was bought with the intention that it would be my own home. However, at the time of purchase, due to medical reasons, I was unable to work, so bought the house on a buy-to-let mortgage and rented it out, whilst I lived with my parents. This situation continued for approx. 4 years 6 months: house rented out, and me living without employment with parents.
After this time I began living at the property (still with btl mortgage) with the hope of staying indefinitely. Due to continued difficulties, however, I decided it would be best to sell the house (not wishing to rent it out again), and return to living with my parents. I put the house on the market, therefore, and it sold very quickly.
Between the tenants leaving and completion of the sale, I lived at the house for 4 1/2 months. After costs the capital gain was @£60k. My only income for the 07/08 tax year is @ £2,500 from bank interest.
1) Is there likely to be any problem establishing PPR? I have utilities bills, a land-line phone bill and council tax bills addressed to me there, as well as letters from my estate agent and solicitor concerning the house sale. (Although apart from these, I'm not sure what else I could show).
2) Assuming PPR is established, am I eligible for letting relief? If I am, would it be equal to the relief for the 4 1/2 months I lived there, or to the 36 months total PPR I would get.
- Hold on a minute (pun intended) 1,263 11
- The importance of Grammar 1,326 40
- Xero Pain Points 549 18
- supply teachers working through Ltd co 132 2
- Complicated situation with very old balances from previous accountant 201 5
- Best way to draw a salary? 700 12
- PI cover 242 4
- VAT and customer entertaining 218 2
- 2014/15 Tax calculation spread sheet 949 15
- VAT - How hard is it? 737 26
- Profit split from an investment property 180 6
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,432 39
- Tax Implications on Child Benefits 163 1
- IRIS OpenSpace won't upload CT600 properly 278 6
- tax saving on card points 246 6
- Capital Allowances and CGT interaction 267 9
- Scissors 895 24
- AIA for a Van, Self Employed 442 6
- Tax treatment of gift of expensive watch 463 10
- Directors exempt from AE? 271 6
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 373
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 329
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 308
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 298
- Electric Car 250
- S222 Charge 218
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 215
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 201
- Company Structure 197
- Does anyone know the name and postal address of HMRC's Data controller? 174