Practical tip required - order of play
Client's father died intestate in 2001-02 tax year. Following a deed of variation, client has an absolute entitlement to certain investments and income arising from date of death. None of that income has been shown on client's personal tax returns (nor provisional disclosures). Client is higher rate taxpayer in each year. Estate accounts have only recently been produced by solicitor, and I understand that income has been reported by solicitor on estate tax returns that I have yet to see (but of course no higher rate tax paid). No R185s have yet been produced.
This is a complex case and I reckon it will still take several weeks to sort out the s.33 disclosure for 2001-02 and 2002-03 and repair 2003-04, although we could probably arrange an estimated payment immediately.
My concern is timing of disclosure. HMRC has sufficient information already in hand, if they got their computers to talk to each other, to realise that there has been an underpayment of tax. In reality I judge it unlikely that they will take notice before I am able to finalise the amendments and report accordingly, although there is of course always a chance.
If they raise a s.9A enquiry before I bring the matter to their attention it could prejudice penalty mitigation.
There is every intention to put the matter straight, and I am confident that there is no criminal intent that might require NCIS involvement.
So, should I take the risk and wait until I can put the full facts before HMRC, or should I submit a vague disclosure now, to be followed in due course by details? The latter would appear to protect the client against the (unlikely?) event of a S.9A enquiry in the next few weeks. But are there any downsides to that approach?
- Error or mistake claims (as was) 83 1
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 787 17
- Partnership profit share - tax efficient for husband and wife 152 3
- Property scam victim 309 5
- Capital Gains on Inherited Property 249 9
- Has anyone been told of the extra Sage Payroll fees for auto enrolment? 232 6
- How to use importing procedure for Transfers between the bank accounts 41 1
- Have i messed up? 741 11
- VAT on garage rent 119 8
- Are HMRC getting it right? 418 8
- 10 year debentures and CT 48 1
- Is there a legal obligation for the Inspector to hand over minutes of a meeting 91 2
- Tasks for new trainees 140 3
- Obvious Question but if NOT registered for VAT EU refunds as under minimum amounts, what does an expense get recorded as for UK VAT return? 64 1
- COMPANY DIRECTOR 61 1
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 556 15
- Offshore insurance bonds 100 2
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,644 46
- Tax Returns, 2011-2012 255 6
- Aggressive HMRC 1,809 19
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,090
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 574
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 382
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 287
- Charge out rates in London? 241
- Interest on Loan to a Company 188
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 173
- Agent fees to sell business 162
- Alphabet shares 159
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 153