previous accountants requiring £200 to pass paperwork over!
We have a new client (one director.shareholder company) that used one of the 'specialist' contractor accountancy businesses previously.
Built into the terms is the requirement that if the director terminates the agreement for services, there is a payment of £200 required to pass over information retained on their system (they did the bookkeeping, PAYE, VAT and invoicing customers).
It also says that providing the information can take up to sixty days!
What can be done, if anything?
Who actually owns the records?
The company website says that it is owned by qualified accountants and lawyers, but no way of telling who is a member of what.
Any suggestions please ... apart from paying the £200 or doing without the information?
I presume we are not allowed to have a similar clause requiring payment to pass on information we store electronically (we are ICAEW regulated)?
- Two sole traders working at same shop 412 3
- Unhappy client over fees 1,486 36
- Buying a company for £20,000 from owner how it works? 1,072 13
- Profit split /Rent 133 3
- Is it possible and what should be done? 223 3
- Capital Gains Tax and Enhancement 106 2
- Do HMRC impose harsher penalties on unrepresented taxpayers? 234 3
- Accounting software for investment holding company 200 2
- Disposal of freehold from Ltd Co to another Ltd in a newly formed group 110 1
- Is a Business Bank Account compulsory for a sole trader? 284 5
- Multi user accounting software 163 2
- S455 tax on existing loans on becoming a participator 136 1
- Does QuickBooks Online have aged debtors and creditors reports? 232 2
- Remortgage costs on redidential lettings 221 2
- Self-employed: claiming expenses initially paid by somebody else 423 11
- do i need an online accounting software 566 7
- VAT DIY self build shceme 140 1
- COMPANIES HOUSE - DOWN LOAD FREE ACCOUNTS 702 17
- Employee expenses & benefits - bringing myself up to date 263 1
- Backdating Partnership registration to 14/15 1,045 16
- NHS finance professionals 795
- Foreign Pension Contribution 480
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 474
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 409
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 380
- IFA income recognition & reporting 282
- Are subsistence claims firmly attached to the 24 month rule ? 270
- Form P55 in year tax repayment claim for non-resident 258
- FRM claim for travel to training course 225
- When is sale recognised in an agency who receives commission? 225