previous accountants requiring £200 to pass paperwork over!
We have a new client (one director.shareholder company) that used one of the 'specialist' contractor accountancy businesses previously.
Built into the terms is the requirement that if the director terminates the agreement for services, there is a payment of £200 required to pass over information retained on their system (they did the bookkeeping, PAYE, VAT and invoicing customers).
It also says that providing the information can take up to sixty days!
What can be done, if anything?
Who actually owns the records?
The company website says that it is owned by qualified accountants and lawyers, but no way of telling who is a member of what.
Any suggestions please ... apart from paying the £200 or doing without the information?
I presume we are not allowed to have a similar clause requiring payment to pass on information we store electronically (we are ICAEW regulated)?
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 170 3
- Accounts submitted to a the charities comission 197 4
- Tax on grant a lease - no proceeds 108 1
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax consultancy 2014 286 1
- ACCA practice certificates 55 1
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 1,086 32
- What would you do in this situation? 689 14
- Dress code 512 13
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 527 16
- Project being run jointly 216 3
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 321 4
- Companies House 617 9
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 385 11
- Where to start to get any of jobs in Finance and Accounting Industry 742 9
- How much did you pay for your website 1,457 25
- Help Required 435 10
- directors control and tax problems 331 5
- Fastest Software 814 13
- What's in a name ? 423 5
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 338 4
- CTA study material 719
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 442
- Employment related securities question 278
- AIM Stocks and IHT 256
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 239
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 219
- Expat pension contributions? 210
- Trust for Employee 207
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 191
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 125