previous accountants requiring £200 to pass paperwork over!
We have a new client (one director.shareholder company) that used one of the 'specialist' contractor accountancy businesses previously.
Built into the terms is the requirement that if the director terminates the agreement for services, there is a payment of £200 required to pass over information retained on their system (they did the bookkeeping, PAYE, VAT and invoicing customers).
It also says that providing the information can take up to sixty days!
What can be done, if anything?
Who actually owns the records?
The company website says that it is owned by qualified accountants and lawyers, but no way of telling who is a member of what.
Any suggestions please ... apart from paying the £200 or doing without the information?
I presume we are not allowed to have a similar clause requiring payment to pass on information we store electronically (we are ICAEW regulated)?
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 194 3
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 482 15
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 1,049 11
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 304 11
- Should everyone be entitled to a personal allowance 314 6
- Employee to move to Isle of Man 254 6
- Potentially dodgy client 271 3
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 544 28
- Entrepeneurs relief 430 18
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 395 9
- Goodwill omitted from first years accounts 505 23
- Do I need to pay my accountant 621 8
- Loan Repayment on Invoice 189 6
- Do HMRC automatically close inactive PAYE schemes? 330 5
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 656 8
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 149 2
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 169 3
- Lloyds bank ... 463 6
- Limited company buying a car 267 5
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 516 10
- CTA study material 780
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 484
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 414
- Employment related securities question 313
- AIM Stocks and IHT 290
- Expat pension contributions? 267
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 263
- Trust for Employee 247
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 197
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 150