previous accountants requiring £200 to pass paperwork over!
We have a new client (one director.shareholder company) that used one of the 'specialist' contractor accountancy businesses previously.
Built into the terms is the requirement that if the director terminates the agreement for services, there is a payment of £200 required to pass over information retained on their system (they did the bookkeeping, PAYE, VAT and invoicing customers).
It also says that providing the information can take up to sixty days!
What can be done, if anything?
Who actually owns the records?
The company website says that it is owned by qualified accountants and lawyers, but no way of telling who is a member of what.
Any suggestions please ... apart from paying the £200 or doing without the information?
I presume we are not allowed to have a similar clause requiring payment to pass on information we store electronically (we are ICAEW regulated)?
- Concerned about RTI 2014 1,600 33
- Accountant software 271 7
- Accountant Pays Clients Tax 426 7
- HMRC SPAM AGAIN 53 1
- No Prrof of Posting of Tax Return sent by Post 406 13
- Can pre-registration vat be reclaimed? 217 4
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 1,861 22
- Mileage and Corportation Tax 47 1
- Company Car Purchased in Name of Director 94 1
- Renting property to yourself 295 8
- Definition of "Ultimate Controlling Party" FRS 8 380 16
- Consolidation and subsidiaries with different period ends 93 4
- register as self employed? 111 2
- Who owns SAGE Data? 127 1
- VAT enquiry 78 1
- Write off of former director's loan 217 4
- A previous partnership, a dispute and their conduct now 248 4
- Capital gain or not? 136 3
- EC VAT 159 5
- Forecasting Software 206 2
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 634
- CIS to 5/10/13 and HMRC Computer issue 483
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 450
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 275
- How to format a stock book 229
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 194
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 182
- Tax efficient holding company structure 171
- Investment property company accounts template 159
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 150