previous accountants requiring £200 to pass paperwork over!
We have a new client (one director.shareholder company) that used one of the 'specialist' contractor accountancy businesses previously.
Built into the terms is the requirement that if the director terminates the agreement for services, there is a payment of £200 required to pass over information retained on their system (they did the bookkeeping, PAYE, VAT and invoicing customers).
It also says that providing the information can take up to sixty days!
What can be done, if anything?
Who actually owns the records?
The company website says that it is owned by qualified accountants and lawyers, but no way of telling who is a member of what.
Any suggestions please ... apart from paying the £200 or doing without the information?
I presume we are not allowed to have a similar clause requiring payment to pass on information we store electronically (we are ICAEW regulated)?
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 1,320 21
- VAT online filing exemptions 262 4
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 851 18
- NALS Accountants Report 98 1
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,466 35
- Legal title not in the company name 269 10
- Dividend dates 560 10
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 124 3
- Sole properietor 168 4
- transitioning payroll 236 8
- dividend proposals 104 2
- How to reclaim VAT that was missed off previous invoices? 231 2
- Deduction from Salary 296 8
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 191 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,725 60
- Child Tax Credits - date of cessation of qualifying young person 88 2
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 437 10
- ACCA Cert/Dip in IFRS 158 2
- 12 Pay Problems 255 3
- Mutual trading organisation has chargeable gain 89 1
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 624
- Cancelled 363
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 342
- Cancelled 311
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 283
- Probiz 271
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 231
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 230
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 202
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 176