previous accountants requiring £200 to pass paperwork over!
We have a new client (one director.shareholder company) that used one of the 'specialist' contractor accountancy businesses previously.
Built into the terms is the requirement that if the director terminates the agreement for services, there is a payment of £200 required to pass over information retained on their system (they did the bookkeeping, PAYE, VAT and invoicing customers).
It also says that providing the information can take up to sixty days!
What can be done, if anything?
Who actually owns the records?
The company website says that it is owned by qualified accountants and lawyers, but no way of telling who is a member of what.
Any suggestions please ... apart from paying the £200 or doing without the information?
I presume we are not allowed to have a similar clause requiring payment to pass on information we store electronically (we are ICAEW regulated)?
- Can I zero rate the VAT? 77 2
- accounts & tax software for small accountancy firms 779 28
- New Practice 119 8
- Goods Purchased for Rental 523 29
- HMRC 2009/10 Return 229 3
- Data Protection and emailing documents 1,124 16
- UK Tax Treatment of Finance Lease Payments 87 1
- Taxfiler V's BTC 616 23
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,987 25
- Does anyone have a formula to compare employment to self-employment rates? 428 8
- Valuation of business 307 5
- CGT implications for gift of shares to connected person 158 7
- Dividend Payments 413 10
- I.d for vat registration 178 7
- Capital allowances anti-avoidance 148 4
- builder's 'cost only' job 192 1
- Myfirmsapp 634 13
- Filing past due corporation tax returns 289 1
- Completing Self-Assessment for a Director of Owner Managed Business 184 3
- CIS Deductions 149 2
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 1,010
- International interest certificate 588
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 515
- NOVA 470
- Bonus Bonds 355
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 335
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 257
- Payment for Promotional Samples 229
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 222
- Quickbooks 2015 152