previous accountants requiring £200 to pass paperwork over!
We have a new client (one director.shareholder company) that used one of the 'specialist' contractor accountancy businesses previously.
Built into the terms is the requirement that if the director terminates the agreement for services, there is a payment of £200 required to pass over information retained on their system (they did the bookkeeping, PAYE, VAT and invoicing customers).
It also says that providing the information can take up to sixty days!
What can be done, if anything?
Who actually owns the records?
The company website says that it is owned by qualified accountants and lawyers, but no way of telling who is a member of what.
Any suggestions please ... apart from paying the £200 or doing without the information?
I presume we are not allowed to have a similar clause requiring payment to pass on information we store electronically (we are ICAEW regulated)?
- Accountants' Error 717 15
- Corporation tax due date confusion 38 1
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 159 5
- ICPA taxwise fee protection 153 3
- Scoot 193 4
- Zero Rated VAT on New Building 158 2
- Tax code for Companies House fees 213 3
- G'day IPA-IFA 666 11
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,457 20
- VAT customer is registered in France, goods shipped to the UK 112 1
- Regaining my qualification 213 2
- Self-Assessment - NIC Exemption 240 2
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 243 2
- Auto enrolment 198 3
- Shareholder agreement 175 3
- Tax treatment of cashed in American Savings Plan 199 3
- Company Reorganisation 168 3
- Employee Loan 215 2
- IRIS - Personal Tax - 2013/14 - Page UKP2 469 15
- Statutory residence test - transit days 600 5
- Skandia using wrong address 1,455
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 772
- Any views 702
- HMRC Employers Diary 525
- International interest certificate 427
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 392
- Sale of business 357
- NOVA 261
- Advertising services? 259
- IRIS Open Books problem 252