previous accountants requiring £200 to pass paperwork over!
We have a new client (one director.shareholder company) that used one of the 'specialist' contractor accountancy businesses previously.
Built into the terms is the requirement that if the director terminates the agreement for services, there is a payment of £200 required to pass over information retained on their system (they did the bookkeeping, PAYE, VAT and invoicing customers).
It also says that providing the information can take up to sixty days!
What can be done, if anything?
Who actually owns the records?
The company website says that it is owned by qualified accountants and lawyers, but no way of telling who is a member of what.
Any suggestions please ... apart from paying the £200 or doing without the information?
I presume we are not allowed to have a similar clause requiring payment to pass on information we store electronically (we are ICAEW regulated)?
- VAT questions 289 4
- Sorry ignore me 629 17
- Limited Company keeping receipts 48 1
- How do I calculate the VAT due (cash basis) on receipts which suffer a cis deduction? 191 4
- CG34 approved "without prejudice" 216 3
- Is this a scam? 309 4
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,071 16
- SAGE V12 163 4
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 2,225 21
- Invoice Help 99 3
- Accounts formation/ speculative advertising 257 5
- Should Spanish VAT apply ? 157 2
- Dissolve a Ltd Company - How much do you charge? 544 11
- Donaldson v HMRC case being heard tomorrow! 481 4
- Not ANOTHER bogus HMRC email? 244 3
- Self Assessment Tax Return Penalties 201 4
- Interest on loans between companies 133 3
- One off meeting new client 402 5
- Corporate shareholder question 99 2
- Furniture Rental Business 246 7
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 614
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 516
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 375
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 288
- Cancelled 270
- Cancelled 234
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 179
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 177
- Probiz 157
- What's the market like for temps? 153