previous accountants requiring £200 to pass paperwork over!
We have a new client (one director.shareholder company) that used one of the 'specialist' contractor accountancy businesses previously.
Built into the terms is the requirement that if the director terminates the agreement for services, there is a payment of £200 required to pass over information retained on their system (they did the bookkeeping, PAYE, VAT and invoicing customers).
It also says that providing the information can take up to sixty days!
What can be done, if anything?
Who actually owns the records?
The company website says that it is owned by qualified accountants and lawyers, but no way of telling who is a member of what.
Any suggestions please ... apart from paying the £200 or doing without the information?
I presume we are not allowed to have a similar clause requiring payment to pass on information we store electronically (we are ICAEW regulated)?
- Cash injection by shareholder 96 3
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 264 8
- PRR 227 12
- Do I need a 13digit tax ref for a ct600 195 4
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,098 55
- Is it more beneficial to be a Ltd company? 155 3
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,465 424
- How to pursue fraudulent trading 289 4
- corp tax software 346 7
- Pension Contributions Relief 439 14
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 465 7
- Which tax box 185 2
- How to change reconciliation status of bank account in Sage 50 114 3
- how to start a career in accounting at 34? 234 3
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 207 6
- References for clients 201 2
- Sole Trader - Working from home claims 147 2
- incorrect PAYE statements 120 2
- What accounting software packages are best for restaurants? 316 7
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 146 5
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,297
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 462
- National Insurance 360
- Non Resident 278
- Franchise income and costs 255
- Hands on experience of Digita 209
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 168
- Employer's Helpline 158
- employment capital allowances 150
- CIS paid under reg 9 140