previous accountants requiring £200 to pass paperwork over!
We have a new client (one director.shareholder company) that used one of the 'specialist' contractor accountancy businesses previously.
Built into the terms is the requirement that if the director terminates the agreement for services, there is a payment of £200 required to pass over information retained on their system (they did the bookkeeping, PAYE, VAT and invoicing customers).
It also says that providing the information can take up to sixty days!
What can be done, if anything?
Who actually owns the records?
The company website says that it is owned by qualified accountants and lawyers, but no way of telling who is a member of what.
Any suggestions please ... apart from paying the £200 or doing without the information?
I presume we are not allowed to have a similar clause requiring payment to pass on information we store electronically (we are ICAEW regulated)?
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 181 4
- SA302 273 6
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 225 4
- Go Cardless 320 9
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 201 3
- Hmrc software 215 3
- Mehjoo 264 1
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 105 1
- Hosted email exchange 170 5
- South African Government Pension 178 1
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 162 3
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 278 4
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 305 13
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 241 7
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 147 3
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 281 7
- New Email Extensions 195 1
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 315 2
- Dental practice incorpration 154 1
- Audit rules 179 4
- Xtuple 508
- Qtac payroll for bureau 347
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 290
- Industrial & Provident Societies 282
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 224
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 172
- Domain name sale and limited company 167
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 165
- CIS schemes 160
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 141