previous accountants requiring £200 to pass paperwork over!
We have a new client (one director.shareholder company) that used one of the 'specialist' contractor accountancy businesses previously.
Built into the terms is the requirement that if the director terminates the agreement for services, there is a payment of £200 required to pass over information retained on their system (they did the bookkeeping, PAYE, VAT and invoicing customers).
It also says that providing the information can take up to sixty days!
What can be done, if anything?
Who actually owns the records?
The company website says that it is owned by qualified accountants and lawyers, but no way of telling who is a member of what.
Any suggestions please ... apart from paying the £200 or doing without the information?
I presume we are not allowed to have a similar clause requiring payment to pass on information we store electronically (we are ICAEW regulated)?
- HMRC filing meltdown? 746 25
- Anybody still doing returns? 317 11
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 622 14
- 'My colleague fills in his own Self Assessment" and he/she claims,x,y and z" 351 6
- no utr 147 7
- LLP formed in 2013 38 1
- Tax Returns for non residents 136 1
- client can't/won't pay 2,052 47
- Capital Loss 34 2
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 67 2
- Clothing 455 11
- Selling Capital Allowences from Self Employed to Ltd Buisness 199 8
- File Abbreviated LLP accounts online? 139 7
- Practice management 425 8
- Interest on pre-letting? 109 4
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 1,668 44
- Will simplified micro entities accounts result in loss of business ? 1,695 22
- Rent a room scheme query. 227 4
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 306 13
- Why do I do this every year 582 13
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 943
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 659
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 610
- Latest phishing scam 590
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 427
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 320
- Scratch Head 255
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 244
- Sabbatical payments 209
- Negligible Value Claim 186