The price of a VAT concession
Can any users out there confirm whether this is hearsay or fact? I've heard that hassling HMRC means they are more likely to hassle you, eg ask for a VAT concession and get a VAT inspection.
The above is being used as a reason to perpetuate or implement inefficient and expensive processes that could be subject to concessions. Here are two current examples where a VAT concession would be helpful.
1. Personal calls on corporate mobiles. Policy is that employees must reimburse monthly in strict application of VAT law, meaning some people pay less than £1. A concession to allow amounts to accumulate to say £10 before making a reimbursement seems reasonable to save time of staff making the payment and staff processing the payment, not to mention bank charges for processing many small value cheques.
2. Additional charge for payment by credit card. Our various systems do not necessarily identify the VAT rate of the principal supply, and to put this in place would be a costly IT project and the solution may still require some manual intervention. A concession to hand over VAT on a proportion of the charges (based on auditable sample data) would avoid a costly and probably imperfect solution.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
- Can a company claim R&D relief under both the SME and large company schemes? 73 1
- CIS and Xero 257 1
- Mortgage Reference 846 12
- AMAP on borrowed car?? 193 7
- Retrospective VAT Query 124 2
- property capital gains 395 4
- VAT joint margin scheme arrangement 83 1
- Chargeable Event - life insurance bond written in trust 121 2
- FHLs and Entrepreneurs Relief 283 8
- Client gets a penalty and being threatening! 866 9
- Tips on meals 558 5
- Private doctors - Ltd company vs partnership 1,331 15
- S.455 Tax again 451 9
- Overdrawn directors loans and insolvent winding up 190 3
- Closing down loss-making company 795 15
- Stumped - IHT 611 8
- Can any cloud accounting package cope with operating a Foreign Branch and UK Head Office? 160 1
- Overpaid In Employers NI - RTI EYU for hundreds of employees 499 3
- Entrepreneur relief and deduction of Amortisation of Goodwill Pre2002 417 14
- co-operatives & Societies 134 1
- ACCA Shenanigans subject of EDM 980
- Members in Public Practice 594
- Oplex Careers CPD 363
- Payroll manager and the cloud 290
- Is the APN valid 240
- Treatment of EIS relate back? 236
- Institute of Customer Services 235
- Kashflow payroll 227
- Class 4 NI due on 2 self employments 223
- Continuity of Practice 206