The price of a VAT concession
Can any users out there confirm whether this is hearsay or fact? I've heard that hassling HMRC means they are more likely to hassle you, eg ask for a VAT concession and get a VAT inspection.
The above is being used as a reason to perpetuate or implement inefficient and expensive processes that could be subject to concessions. Here are two current examples where a VAT concession would be helpful.
1. Personal calls on corporate mobiles. Policy is that employees must reimburse monthly in strict application of VAT law, meaning some people pay less than £1. A concession to allow amounts to accumulate to say £10 before making a reimbursement seems reasonable to save time of staff making the payment and staff processing the payment, not to mention bank charges for processing many small value cheques.
2. Additional charge for payment by credit card. Our various systems do not necessarily identify the VAT rate of the principal supply, and to put this in place would be a costly IT project and the solution may still require some manual intervention. A concession to hand over VAT on a proportion of the charges (based on auditable sample data) would avoid a costly and probably imperfect solution.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 1,072 18
- Where has Portia gone? 882 38
- What do your junior staff do? 74 2
- Practice management software 904 16
- Spousal transfer and PPR 452 14
- Property Purchase in Daughters Name 230 7
- Career advice for ex HMRC Inspector 1,710 32
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,572 72
- Rogue Accountant 2,877 46
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 5,311 19
- HMRC Scam 285 2
- Departments in Sage 50 103 1
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 265 2
- HMRC, YouTube, ITTOIA... 323 4
- Capital Gains? 266 2
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 109 1
- Partial Exemption relating to a multi academy trust 81 1
- Is it possible to have an excel link to a different dated excel file 462 9
- Taxation of serviced offices 138 2
- AIA - new period 223 1
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 775
- RTI - duplicate employee record 514
- Pensions Regulator 441
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 396
- Sage Vat return box 2 298
- Sanzar 297
- Digital marketing focus group 279
- How do you do it 266
- Report old income 230
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 229