The price of a VAT concession
Can any users out there confirm whether this is hearsay or fact? I've heard that hassling HMRC means they are more likely to hassle you, eg ask for a VAT concession and get a VAT inspection.
The above is being used as a reason to perpetuate or implement inefficient and expensive processes that could be subject to concessions. Here are two current examples where a VAT concession would be helpful.
1. Personal calls on corporate mobiles. Policy is that employees must reimburse monthly in strict application of VAT law, meaning some people pay less than £1. A concession to allow amounts to accumulate to say £10 before making a reimbursement seems reasonable to save time of staff making the payment and staff processing the payment, not to mention bank charges for processing many small value cheques.
2. Additional charge for payment by credit card. Our various systems do not necessarily identify the VAT rate of the principal supply, and to put this in place would be a costly IT project and the solution may still require some manual intervention. A concession to hand over VAT on a proportion of the charges (based on auditable sample data) would avoid a costly and probably imperfect solution.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,446 40
- Directors Remunerations and Employees on CT600 24 1
- Anyone Heard of This Outfit? 197 1
- Purchase of shares and goodwill 104 2
- How can I tell what returns are outstanding on HMRC online? 222 3
- Practice management - that old chestnut....... 1,225 19
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 356 6
- Go Cardless 375 10
- Self assessment tax arrears 319 3
- Mehjoo 329 2
- Tax Return Member LLP 130 1
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 391 5
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 191 4
- SA302 337 7
- US Employment Income - Double Tax Treaty 290 13
- Bringing money to Uk 289 4
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 215 4
- Hmrc software 255 3
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 185 1
- Hosted email exchange 189 5
- Xtuple 517
- Qtac payroll for bureau 355
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 298
- Industrial & Provident Societies 292
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 235
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 209
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 208
- Domain name sale and limited company 181
- CIS schemes 176
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 151