The price of a VAT concession
Can any users out there confirm whether this is hearsay or fact? I've heard that hassling HMRC means they are more likely to hassle you, eg ask for a VAT concession and get a VAT inspection.
The above is being used as a reason to perpetuate or implement inefficient and expensive processes that could be subject to concessions. Here are two current examples where a VAT concession would be helpful.
1. Personal calls on corporate mobiles. Policy is that employees must reimburse monthly in strict application of VAT law, meaning some people pay less than £1. A concession to allow amounts to accumulate to say £10 before making a reimbursement seems reasonable to save time of staff making the payment and staff processing the payment, not to mention bank charges for processing many small value cheques.
2. Additional charge for payment by credit card. Our various systems do not necessarily identify the VAT rate of the principal supply, and to put this in place would be a costly IT project and the solution may still require some manual intervention. A concession to hand over VAT on a proportion of the charges (based on auditable sample data) would avoid a costly and probably imperfect solution.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
- CIS software 43 2
- Homing sandwiches 427 11
- How can I deal with an unethical accountant? 65 2
- CT600 98 3
- Director appointment not valid - any observations? 150 7
- Settlement discount 110 4
- signature required 487 21
- Director Personal Bank Account in company's books 506 9
- How do I undo the work of a Macro in Excel 173 5
- A number of Clearbooks VAT return issues! 162 2
- VAT on hotel payments received in advance 110 2
- Pratice Management Software 100 1
- Norwegian p45, which UK Tax return does it go into 201 10
- Left UK in 2006 but did not declare rental income since 2009 123 1
- VAT rate charged by surveyor 184 2
- Related Party Transactions 115 2
- UK resident receiving USA pension 101 1
- EU eservices VAT change imminent 465 9
- Sage payroll alternatives 759 13
- More AE! 767 17
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,239
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 810
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 520
- Digita Hosted Software 335
- Credit where credit's due....... 311
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 235
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 191
- TheTax Donut 178
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 158
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 157