The price of a VAT concession
Can any users out there confirm whether this is hearsay or fact? I've heard that hassling HMRC means they are more likely to hassle you, eg ask for a VAT concession and get a VAT inspection.
The above is being used as a reason to perpetuate or implement inefficient and expensive processes that could be subject to concessions. Here are two current examples where a VAT concession would be helpful.
1. Personal calls on corporate mobiles. Policy is that employees must reimburse monthly in strict application of VAT law, meaning some people pay less than £1. A concession to allow amounts to accumulate to say £10 before making a reimbursement seems reasonable to save time of staff making the payment and staff processing the payment, not to mention bank charges for processing many small value cheques.
2. Additional charge for payment by credit card. Our various systems do not necessarily identify the VAT rate of the principal supply, and to put this in place would be a costly IT project and the solution may still require some manual intervention. A concession to hand over VAT on a proportion of the charges (based on auditable sample data) would avoid a costly and probably imperfect solution.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,012 26
- hMRand Customs Powers of Arrest 2,772 23
- Running two businesses from the same premises 99 1
- Late Registration for VAT 167 5
- Registering a company late 231 6
- Can someone help me please I don't know how to correct an error regarding an intercompany bank transfer on sage 273 4
- physiotherapy clinic 553 3
- It’s our staff Christmas party this week, what did you do for your firm? 1,910 18
- When do consolidated/group accounts needs preparing? 92 2
- Deferred Tax 134 1
- Preference shares treated as liabilities 84 1
- I've not operated a payroll - will i get charged on late PAYE payments? 414 7
- How much of your work is admin? 175 1
- HMRC Let Property Campaign 1,796 19
- Goodwill complications 154 2
- Personal pension 219 3
- Practical Courses - Accounts Prep 181 1
- VAT Registration for locum Doctors 300 7
- IRIS Accounts Production - Dividends shown in P&L? 260 6
- Gov.UK - can we have HMRC.gov.uk back? 992 26
- TheTax Donut 1,011
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 673
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 620
- Follower cases 487
- Limited company purchase of property 414
- Hive up 413
- corporate hierarchy 380
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 377
- LIVE chat, starting now 325
- AIA or IFA 211