The price of a VAT concession
Can any users out there confirm whether this is hearsay or fact? I've heard that hassling HMRC means they are more likely to hassle you, eg ask for a VAT concession and get a VAT inspection.
The above is being used as a reason to perpetuate or implement inefficient and expensive processes that could be subject to concessions. Here are two current examples where a VAT concession would be helpful.
1. Personal calls on corporate mobiles. Policy is that employees must reimburse monthly in strict application of VAT law, meaning some people pay less than £1. A concession to allow amounts to accumulate to say £10 before making a reimbursement seems reasonable to save time of staff making the payment and staff processing the payment, not to mention bank charges for processing many small value cheques.
2. Additional charge for payment by credit card. Our various systems do not necessarily identify the VAT rate of the principal supply, and to put this in place would be a costly IT project and the solution may still require some manual intervention. A concession to hand over VAT on a proportion of the charges (based on auditable sample data) would avoid a costly and probably imperfect solution.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
- What's the plural? 624 14
- Garage Conversion -Ltd Company Office 73 1
- Well well well 190 2
- Clarification over - VAT Box 8 - Flat rate scheme 98 4
- Taxfiler - is it really good? 64 1
- Capital Gains Tax 73 3
- Real names 393 14
- Legal Advice Needed Bank Account Blocked 122 1
- Peer to Peer lending 74 4
- Dividend payment date 1,826 32
- Use of aliases 695 19
- Any Benefit in Kind when obliged to attend a dinner? 129 1
- Accounting Crew 884 20
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 300 12
- Splitting hairs with a national firm 479 5
- What are options for non CA firm 1,378 17
- No VAT returns submitted since registration 86 1
- Capital allowances 202 4
- Who owns the data 134 1
- Builder - Roll over relief 374 16
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 566
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 427
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 325
- IFA incorporation 300
- Mortgage interest claim on Buy to let hic up 291
- Can the receivers fees be allowed for tax? 281
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 246
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 233
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 222
- Sorry ignore me 208