The price of a VAT concession
Can any users out there confirm whether this is hearsay or fact? I've heard that hassling HMRC means they are more likely to hassle you, eg ask for a VAT concession and get a VAT inspection.
The above is being used as a reason to perpetuate or implement inefficient and expensive processes that could be subject to concessions. Here are two current examples where a VAT concession would be helpful.
1. Personal calls on corporate mobiles. Policy is that employees must reimburse monthly in strict application of VAT law, meaning some people pay less than £1. A concession to allow amounts to accumulate to say £10 before making a reimbursement seems reasonable to save time of staff making the payment and staff processing the payment, not to mention bank charges for processing many small value cheques.
2. Additional charge for payment by credit card. Our various systems do not necessarily identify the VAT rate of the principal supply, and to put this in place would be a costly IT project and the solution may still require some manual intervention. A concession to hand over VAT on a proportion of the charges (based on auditable sample data) would avoid a costly and probably imperfect solution.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
- Investment properties/freehold land 110 3
- No tax returns for 6 year 25 1
- Capital allowances on Software 213 2
- Designated sole Residence 193 4
- A little knowledge 45 1
- Trading Losses - 3 Year Carry Back 71 3
- Company director and KIT days 108 1
- client can't/won't pay 2,166 50
- Anybody still doing returns? 832 34
- Clothing 576 18
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 282 12
- Digita in the cloud 41 1
- Change to PAYE TAX CODE 226 7
- IHT and US resident 122 2
- Tax relief when working away 51 1
- Parent and subsidiary... 156 5
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 207 8
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 1,244 17
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 365 16
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 747 15
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 956
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 678
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 626
- Latest phishing scam 604
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 440
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 328
- Scratch Head 267
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 259
- Sabbatical payments 219
- Negligible Value Claim 199