The price of a VAT concession
Can any users out there confirm whether this is hearsay or fact? I've heard that hassling HMRC means they are more likely to hassle you, eg ask for a VAT concession and get a VAT inspection.
The above is being used as a reason to perpetuate or implement inefficient and expensive processes that could be subject to concessions. Here are two current examples where a VAT concession would be helpful.
1. Personal calls on corporate mobiles. Policy is that employees must reimburse monthly in strict application of VAT law, meaning some people pay less than £1. A concession to allow amounts to accumulate to say £10 before making a reimbursement seems reasonable to save time of staff making the payment and staff processing the payment, not to mention bank charges for processing many small value cheques.
2. Additional charge for payment by credit card. Our various systems do not necessarily identify the VAT rate of the principal supply, and to put this in place would be a costly IT project and the solution may still require some manual intervention. A concession to hand over VAT on a proportion of the charges (based on auditable sample data) would avoid a costly and probably imperfect solution.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
- Excel: MATCH does not match two apparently identical cells 69 2
- Letter from HMRC telling me client passed away 2,010 28
- VAT on cashback card handling fee 148 2
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 287 11
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 656 21
- What is the reasoning behind HMRC letter re high income child benefit charge? 568 10
- We accountants are not the only ones!! 659 4
- Your fondest calculator memories 1,256 45
- practice planning 194 3
- Accounts Software 739 19
- Goodwill Valuation Prior to April 2002, with the intention of selling on due to personal changes 505 14
- Dividend Vouchers 392 5
- Gift to employee 424 14
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 181 3
- MS Surface Pro 3 183 2
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 1,134 37
- Child and Working Tax Credits and sudden increase in investment income - does this trigger a claw back? 198 3
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 169 1
- Question re Career choice... 1,686 10
- Which address 1,094 12
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 494
- CTA study material 470
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 344
- Pre incorp expenses 329
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 278
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 269
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 217
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 173
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 146
- Employment related securities question 131