The price of a VAT concession
Can any users out there confirm whether this is hearsay or fact? I've heard that hassling HMRC means they are more likely to hassle you, eg ask for a VAT concession and get a VAT inspection.
The above is being used as a reason to perpetuate or implement inefficient and expensive processes that could be subject to concessions. Here are two current examples where a VAT concession would be helpful.
1. Personal calls on corporate mobiles. Policy is that employees must reimburse monthly in strict application of VAT law, meaning some people pay less than £1. A concession to allow amounts to accumulate to say £10 before making a reimbursement seems reasonable to save time of staff making the payment and staff processing the payment, not to mention bank charges for processing many small value cheques.
2. Additional charge for payment by credit card. Our various systems do not necessarily identify the VAT rate of the principal supply, and to put this in place would be a costly IT project and the solution may still require some manual intervention. A concession to hand over VAT on a proportion of the charges (based on auditable sample data) would avoid a costly and probably imperfect solution.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 686 5
- See you all on the other side 725 6
- 12Pay 489 2
- dividends 679 2
- R&D 340 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,203 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 455 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 443 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 398 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 560 5
- Seeking a tax case 666 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 528 4
- Companies house strike off 606 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 454 2
- Moving to the cloud 762 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 222 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 923 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 223 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,105 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 515 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 568
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 423
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 377
- IRIS and FRS 102 357
- Capitalising Finance Lease 335
- Marginal rates of tax 321
- USA help 321
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 318
- Class 2 NI 306
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 298