The price of a VAT concession
Can any users out there confirm whether this is hearsay or fact? I've heard that hassling HMRC means they are more likely to hassle you, eg ask for a VAT concession and get a VAT inspection.
The above is being used as a reason to perpetuate or implement inefficient and expensive processes that could be subject to concessions. Here are two current examples where a VAT concession would be helpful.
1. Personal calls on corporate mobiles. Policy is that employees must reimburse monthly in strict application of VAT law, meaning some people pay less than £1. A concession to allow amounts to accumulate to say £10 before making a reimbursement seems reasonable to save time of staff making the payment and staff processing the payment, not to mention bank charges for processing many small value cheques.
2. Additional charge for payment by credit card. Our various systems do not necessarily identify the VAT rate of the principal supply, and to put this in place would be a costly IT project and the solution may still require some manual intervention. A concession to hand over VAT on a proportion of the charges (based on auditable sample data) would avoid a costly and probably imperfect solution.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 390 4
- Employment support allowance and self employed 125 3
- Company pays me the mileage rate of a company vehicle 58 1
- Registered Office 131 3
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 1,475 23
- recovery of S455 on informal winding 311 5
- Partnership Registration 97 2
- Can you declare dividends and not withdraw them 898 36
- Owners loan to business - is interest taxable 100 2
- Would this save hours of your time? 677 12
- Audit Required 1,182 22
- HMRC to sell our tax data to private companies 303 9
- Residential Management Companies 84 2
- Value pricing 2,849 37
- Problems with CT600 filing 396 5
- Flat rate scheme - which rate to use? 389 11
- Payroll software for Mac 119 1
- Online / Cloud Data Back Up 111 2
- Excel problem - pivot tables and multiple data sources 215 5
- CIS and Close Company 207 6
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 942
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 660
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 396
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 331
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 259
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 249
- Paye procedures for CVA 249
- Expenses Re-imbursed on the VAT Flat Rate Scheme 195
- Compliance Checks - Time limits 192
- Pension Fixed Protection 187