The price of a VAT concession
Can any users out there confirm whether this is hearsay or fact? I've heard that hassling HMRC means they are more likely to hassle you, eg ask for a VAT concession and get a VAT inspection.
The above is being used as a reason to perpetuate or implement inefficient and expensive processes that could be subject to concessions. Here are two current examples where a VAT concession would be helpful.
1. Personal calls on corporate mobiles. Policy is that employees must reimburse monthly in strict application of VAT law, meaning some people pay less than £1. A concession to allow amounts to accumulate to say £10 before making a reimbursement seems reasonable to save time of staff making the payment and staff processing the payment, not to mention bank charges for processing many small value cheques.
2. Additional charge for payment by credit card. Our various systems do not necessarily identify the VAT rate of the principal supply, and to put this in place would be a costly IT project and the solution may still require some manual intervention. A concession to hand over VAT on a proportion of the charges (based on auditable sample data) would avoid a costly and probably imperfect solution.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 888 12
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,854 52
- Hello 340 2
- Sage 200 question 83 1
- Spanish Assets taxation - UK Residence 82 2
- Ltd Co and Fully Paid Shares 126 5
- RTI and Advances to Employees 139 3
- Sorry - another PPR question 196 4
- Private company division 303 5
- New build property to be rented 116 3
- Outstanding Loans 207 3
- Networking 862 7
- Allocation of income from property 623 22
- Services by BVI Company for UK Company 106 2
- bookkeeping system 481 7
- Sharing ODBC Excel Pivot Tables over network 116 2
- Company car in the LLP 135 1
- 64-8 problems 334 4
- flat rate scheme 1,876 37
- PPR relief - deemed residence? 328 9