Problems with the one line service at HMRC since update ?
Since the service was closed for maintenance recently, we have found that we are having certain difficulties in accessing our clients records on line. For example we need to search the whole client list and select the client name/UTR from the list to see their records, rather than type in their name or UTR and go straight to it. Neither can we view some of the tax years information. All we get is a blank screen and fault note.
Something else happened today which is very strange. One of my colleague was checking to ensure our client had paid all he should have to date while dealing wiht his tax return and click on view statement of account. The statement which came up on screen (and which we printed) did not include any details relating to our client apart from his name. The UTR the statement date, statement number and payments made were different than any information we had on file. On the advice of the online helpline service I contacted the tax office dealing with this client and they confirm that in fact the tax payer whose UTR is shown on the statement of account printed is not our client. It is someone completely different and we don't act for him/her.
What is going on? The gentleman at the call centre was just as pzzled as we are and he is looking into it for us.
Meanwhile I had sent an email to the online service on 24th November highlighting the difficulties experienced in trying to access our clients records and their automated reply was to telephone the tax office or the online helpdesk. The latter told me today that they were unable to help.
Are they taking a leaf of the old tax credits book and referring queries to different departments in turn so that one feels one is going round in circle and not achieving anything.
I shall hope that the gentleman of the call centre will have more luck and that we may come to the bottom of it quickly.
This does not inspire me confidence and with the 31 January 2006 deadline fast approaching it scares me a little. I should not want a repeat of last year's problems...
- Goodwill omitted from first years accounts 236 15
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 447 10
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 527 6
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 130 7
- Travel and Subsistence expenses while abroad 277 4
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 101 2
- Limited company buying a car 118 3
- ACCA practice certificates 484 5
- Limited company buying director's car 278 10
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 63 1
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 74 1
- WC's and capital allowances 169 3
- Entrepeneurs relief 298 13
- Dress code 1,539 36
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 474 13
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 252 6
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 372 4
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 467 23
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 174 4
- Loan Repayment on Invoice 101 3
- CTA study material 765
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 476
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 394
- Employment related securities question 307
- AIM Stocks and IHT 279
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 257
- Expat pension contributions? 255
- Trust for Employee 233
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 168
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 147