Professional Clearance when fees outstanding...
We have received a professional clearance letter regarding a client who hasn't bothered to pay us, and even when we offered very good terms (let him pay a bill in arrears in 6 installments by direct debit), the last 3 months bounced.
We made it clear to the client that we wouldn't be doing any more work for him until outstanding invoices paid. There is no dispute as to the invoice, just the client says he doesn't have money to pay, and "why do you bother trying to collect the direct debit when it's going to bounce".
Anyway, client left (good riddance) and found another accountant, who is now asking for professional clearance and the usual (sets of accounts, debtors and creditors, TB, tax computations etc). I know that the client is extremely unlikely to pay what he owes if I give away the accounts etc.
How should I reply to the request for clearance? Whilst I want to get rid of this headache, I don't want to put any more work unpaid when I haven't been paid for the original work. What am I required to pass over, and what can I/shoudl I reply?
- What code do you put expenses under such as tea & coffee? 721 16
- Can't read my handwriting 590 14
- Any Scottish members out there? 12,848 487
- Employing a carer 101 1
- How to prove to HMRC that you was not self employed? 171 11
- Fees for Property Tax Return 508 16
- PRR 438 14
- Sage Line50 Journal Entry Help! 191 13
- Corp Tax Refund 152 2
- Email hacker for hire ... 355 8
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 269 8
- IFRS and UK GAAP Adjustment Jrnls 67 2
- Donaldson V HMRC 205 1
- Audit partner? 254 6
- Losses on FHL Property 109 1
- SA302 for mortgage advisors 268 5
- Has anyone encountered this scenario 173 1
- corp tax software 988 13
- Does anyone use quotation software? 316 6
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,623 72
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,371
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 516
- National Insurance 406
- Non Resident 315
- Hands on experience of Digita 239
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 219
- Employer's Helpline 186
- CIS paid under reg 9 180
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 147
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 142