Professional Clearance when fees outstanding...
We have received a professional clearance letter regarding a client who hasn't bothered to pay us, and even when we offered very good terms (let him pay a bill in arrears in 6 installments by direct debit), the last 3 months bounced.
We made it clear to the client that we wouldn't be doing any more work for him until outstanding invoices paid. There is no dispute as to the invoice, just the client says he doesn't have money to pay, and "why do you bother trying to collect the direct debit when it's going to bounce".
Anyway, client left (good riddance) and found another accountant, who is now asking for professional clearance and the usual (sets of accounts, debtors and creditors, TB, tax computations etc). I know that the client is extremely unlikely to pay what he owes if I give away the accounts etc.
How should I reply to the request for clearance? Whilst I want to get rid of this headache, I don't want to put any more work unpaid when I haven't been paid for the original work. What am I required to pass over, and what can I/shoudl I reply?
- Trading Losses - 3 Year Carry Back 57 3
- Company director and KIT days 97 1
- Designated sole Residence 183 3
- client can't/won't pay 2,157 50
- Anybody still doing returns? 822 34
- Clothing 576 18
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 280 12
- Digita in the cloud 35 1
- Change to PAYE TAX CODE 221 7
- IHT and US resident 121 2
- Tax relief when working away 48 1
- Parent and subsidiary... 154 5
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 205 8
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 1,242 17
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 362 16
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 743 15
- Anyone know what this is? 323 6
- HMRC filing meltdown? 936 27
- 'My colleague fills in his own Self Assessment" and he/she claims,x,y and z" 563 7
- Selling Capital Allowences from Self Employed to Ltd Buisness 287 9
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 956
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 678
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 626
- Latest phishing scam 604
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 440
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 328
- Scratch Head 267
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 259
- Sabbatical payments 219
- Negligible Value Claim 199