Professional Clearance when fees outstanding...
We have received a professional clearance letter regarding a client who hasn't bothered to pay us, and even when we offered very good terms (let him pay a bill in arrears in 6 installments by direct debit), the last 3 months bounced.
We made it clear to the client that we wouldn't be doing any more work for him until outstanding invoices paid. There is no dispute as to the invoice, just the client says he doesn't have money to pay, and "why do you bother trying to collect the direct debit when it's going to bounce".
Anyway, client left (good riddance) and found another accountant, who is now asking for professional clearance and the usual (sets of accounts, debtors and creditors, TB, tax computations etc). I know that the client is extremely unlikely to pay what he owes if I give away the accounts etc.
How should I reply to the request for clearance? Whilst I want to get rid of this headache, I don't want to put any more work unpaid when I haven't been paid for the original work. What am I required to pass over, and what can I/shoudl I reply?
- Ex Client from over 3 years ago 632 9
- COMPANY STRIKE OFF 24 1
- Sole Trader to Ltd 114 1
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 428 13
- VT accounts licence key 371 6
- Starting up in practice - safety net 428 9
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 495 10
- Opening balances Sage 50 55 1
- Flat rate vat 330 4
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 237 6
- Rental property company 185 2
- Can Excel sheets be imported into Digita Accounts Production Posting Sheets? 186 2
- What password safe app does anyone recommend? 1,479 27
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,211 35
- Director's current account - fuel costs and expenses 416 11
- How to avoid PAYE Registeration 327 4
- Payroo Employer allowance query 291 8
- Enforcing A CCJ 411 7
- RTI 'Late Filing' & paying employees in arrears 249 1
- Reporting no P11d due when PAYE scheme closed by HMRC 5Apr2013 222 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 833
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 578
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 453
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 323
- Free Tax Legislation? 303
- Director Loan account operation 284
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 270
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 264
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 244
- Paye procedures for CVA 184