Professional Clearance when fees outstanding...
We have received a professional clearance letter regarding a client who hasn't bothered to pay us, and even when we offered very good terms (let him pay a bill in arrears in 6 installments by direct debit), the last 3 months bounced.
We made it clear to the client that we wouldn't be doing any more work for him until outstanding invoices paid. There is no dispute as to the invoice, just the client says he doesn't have money to pay, and "why do you bother trying to collect the direct debit when it's going to bounce".
Anyway, client left (good riddance) and found another accountant, who is now asking for professional clearance and the usual (sets of accounts, debtors and creditors, TB, tax computations etc). I know that the client is extremely unlikely to pay what he owes if I give away the accounts etc.
How should I reply to the request for clearance? Whilst I want to get rid of this headache, I don't want to put any more work unpaid when I haven't been paid for the original work. What am I required to pass over, and what can I/shoudl I reply?
- Payroll experience for beginning AAT student 100 1
- Providing registered office address to clients 67 1
- Share premium or Directors Loan 757 31
- Enquiry into tax return - how co-operative would you be? 379 8
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,434 47
- Interest on HMRC contract settlement 177 3
- Goodwill gesture for providing work 457 12
- VAT reconciliation and VAT return on Sage 130 3
- What would you do in this situation? 195 5
- Filing a P87 (professional fees) before year end. 147 2
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 620 13
- More HMRC on gov.uk 650 11
- Rollover relief - when does gain crystallise in this situation? 103 1
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 349 14
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 249 4
- Research and development - repayment timescale 222 5
- Sole trader hid directorships. 416 6
- NOVA 558 1
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 283 10
- Regional Development Grant 133 4
- Bonus Bonds 395
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 385
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 298
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 261
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 190
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 189
- Company Car Lease 161
- Finance Lease 158
- Form 42 152
- Demerger Reserve 132