Professional Clearance when fees outstanding...
We have received a professional clearance letter regarding a client who hasn't bothered to pay us, and even when we offered very good terms (let him pay a bill in arrears in 6 installments by direct debit), the last 3 months bounced.
We made it clear to the client that we wouldn't be doing any more work for him until outstanding invoices paid. There is no dispute as to the invoice, just the client says he doesn't have money to pay, and "why do you bother trying to collect the direct debit when it's going to bounce".
Anyway, client left (good riddance) and found another accountant, who is now asking for professional clearance and the usual (sets of accounts, debtors and creditors, TB, tax computations etc). I know that the client is extremely unlikely to pay what he owes if I give away the accounts etc.
How should I reply to the request for clearance? Whilst I want to get rid of this headache, I don't want to put any more work unpaid when I haven't been paid for the original work. What am I required to pass over, and what can I/shoudl I reply?
- I do not love you 259 5
- What are you doing now 31 Jan is past? 121 2
- Limited Company 211 4
- Gift of FHL - subsequent PPR not denied? 186 1
- Love is in the air 763 10
- Stamp Duty 341 5
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 750 19
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 900 8
- Personal Pension Relief in the Tax Code 410 5
- Paying Son 818 19
- CGT on lost shares/scam 405 5
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 285 10
- Auto enrolment confusion 2,076 47
- Setting up a practice 655 5
- Very large share capital by mistake 637 7
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 570 4
- 24 month rule and expenses 500 1
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 249 4
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,877 21
- Incorporation of gp practise 470 1
- Foreign domicile status 319
- DTA tie-breaker issue 306
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 304
- CGT for NOn UK residents 286
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 284
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 263
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 250
- Apprenticeship Levy 248
- Discretionary payment to sick employee 240
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 236