Professional Clearance when fees outstanding...
We have received a professional clearance letter regarding a client who hasn't bothered to pay us, and even when we offered very good terms (let him pay a bill in arrears in 6 installments by direct debit), the last 3 months bounced.
We made it clear to the client that we wouldn't be doing any more work for him until outstanding invoices paid. There is no dispute as to the invoice, just the client says he doesn't have money to pay, and "why do you bother trying to collect the direct debit when it's going to bounce".
Anyway, client left (good riddance) and found another accountant, who is now asking for professional clearance and the usual (sets of accounts, debtors and creditors, TB, tax computations etc). I know that the client is extremely unlikely to pay what he owes if I give away the accounts etc.
How should I reply to the request for clearance? Whilst I want to get rid of this headache, I don't want to put any more work unpaid when I haven't been paid for the original work. What am I required to pass over, and what can I/shoudl I reply?
- Pre- trading Expenses 67 1
- IRIS Practice Management 122 1
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 226 7
- Was I rude 763 19
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 174 5
- Dividend payments and shareholdings 162 3
- Corporation tax due date confusion 295 4
- You cannot be Serious!!! 234 1
- Top slicing relief question 228 2
- Valuation of PET on death 107 2
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 262 6
- Share swap 289 8
- Non Registered trader selling to Malta 86 1
- Online filing 153 5
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 328 13
- New client, prev accountant disappeared 1,708 25
- EC sales list and reverse charge 105 2
- Converting a barn for business use 97 1
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 239 9
- Threshold for RTI submission 125 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,477
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 810
- Any views 728
- International interest certificate 445
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 418
- Sale of business 388
- NOVA 282
- IRIS Open Books problem 280
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 197
- Expenses claim for non employee 187