Professional Clearance when fees outstanding...
We have received a professional clearance letter regarding a client who hasn't bothered to pay us, and even when we offered very good terms (let him pay a bill in arrears in 6 installments by direct debit), the last 3 months bounced.
We made it clear to the client that we wouldn't be doing any more work for him until outstanding invoices paid. There is no dispute as to the invoice, just the client says he doesn't have money to pay, and "why do you bother trying to collect the direct debit when it's going to bounce".
Anyway, client left (good riddance) and found another accountant, who is now asking for professional clearance and the usual (sets of accounts, debtors and creditors, TB, tax computations etc). I know that the client is extremely unlikely to pay what he owes if I give away the accounts etc.
How should I reply to the request for clearance? Whilst I want to get rid of this headache, I don't want to put any more work unpaid when I haven't been paid for the original work. What am I required to pass over, and what can I/shoudl I reply?
- Am i Liable? 811 20
- Boffin of the Year 189 8
- Has anyone been told of the extra Sage Payroll fees for auto enrolment? 452 10
- HMRC Accounts Office - waiting an hour! 32 1
- Very Difficult to type on Aweb again 38 2
- Giving a seminar 643 35
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 896 15
- What leverage do I have with accountants if any? 339 3
- Sole trader - bank statements 322 14
- PAYE versus Dividends 120 1
- Altered PAYE cheque 438 9
- equipment rental 71 1
- Flat Rate Scheme 382 16
- Non sequitur 174 1
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 3,196 63
- Distance between Postcodes in Excel 577 11
- Employer pension contribution as part of redundancy package 129 3
- Incorrect Generic non-filing notice 265 9
- Joint Filing Help 167 3
- Missed Student Loan Contributions 246 8
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,282
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 633
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 418
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 326
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 244
- Alphabet shares 216
- Agent fees to sell business 206
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 202
- Office recharges 162
- Tax position on lease extension 157