Professional Clearance when fees outstanding...
We have received a professional clearance letter regarding a client who hasn't bothered to pay us, and even when we offered very good terms (let him pay a bill in arrears in 6 installments by direct debit), the last 3 months bounced.
We made it clear to the client that we wouldn't be doing any more work for him until outstanding invoices paid. There is no dispute as to the invoice, just the client says he doesn't have money to pay, and "why do you bother trying to collect the direct debit when it's going to bounce".
Anyway, client left (good riddance) and found another accountant, who is now asking for professional clearance and the usual (sets of accounts, debtors and creditors, TB, tax computations etc). I know that the client is extremely unlikely to pay what he owes if I give away the accounts etc.
How should I reply to the request for clearance? Whilst I want to get rid of this headache, I don't want to put any more work unpaid when I haven't been paid for the original work. What am I required to pass over, and what can I/shoudl I reply?
- Restriction on loss relief from 2013-14 223 1
- Technical reference 256 3
- Director issuing and buying shares in private Co 272 6
- Does director/largest shareholder's unpaid share capital need to go on a CT600A? 272 6
- How much tax should I be payng? 852 33
- Register for self assessment again as LLP member? 182 4
- EIS/SEIS 237 2
- Can S455 tax repaid 305 4
- Foreign pension tax credit relief 197 2
- Form EIS3 135 2
- Comprehensive herd adjustment guidance 171 1
- Tax return for 05/04/13 shows income for year to 31/01/14 253 2
- Bank loan incorrectly posted 286 3
- CORPORATION TAX ONLINE - BOX 131 269 7
- Box AC60 HMRC Micro-entities CT600 filing 200 2
- Are you a member of the Aweb LinkedIn group? 240 2
- is the new landlord entitled to the 3 month exemption from business rates for empty premises, 239 4
- Foreign Partner - SA109? 122 1
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 480 7
- 10 Worst xmas presents for an accountant 827 10
- The booking.com con 350
- WWOOFers 341
- Cocaine anyone? 340
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 330
- Trade and asset transfers – fair value adjustments 220
- logical office 205
- Ho Ho Ho 194
- Purpose of issuing Holding share capital for s135 share exchange 191
- barclays UK vesus barclays US 189
- Associated companies where SCI with only one company in group 186