Professional Clearance when fees outstanding...
We have received a professional clearance letter regarding a client who hasn't bothered to pay us, and even when we offered very good terms (let him pay a bill in arrears in 6 installments by direct debit), the last 3 months bounced.
We made it clear to the client that we wouldn't be doing any more work for him until outstanding invoices paid. There is no dispute as to the invoice, just the client says he doesn't have money to pay, and "why do you bother trying to collect the direct debit when it's going to bounce".
Anyway, client left (good riddance) and found another accountant, who is now asking for professional clearance and the usual (sets of accounts, debtors and creditors, TB, tax computations etc). I know that the client is extremely unlikely to pay what he owes if I give away the accounts etc.
How should I reply to the request for clearance? Whilst I want to get rid of this headache, I don't want to put any more work unpaid when I haven't been paid for the original work. What am I required to pass over, and what can I/shoudl I reply?
- New business - journal entries 364 22
- Is CGT roll over relief available for let property 198 3
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 195 5
- Payroll software 626 16
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 240 5
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 378 10
- 100% Annual investment allowance on luxury cars 716 18
- B2B vat in the EU 169 4
- Coding Notice 202 6
- VAT on Hire Purchase 117 1
- Samadian effect on self employed student support workers 192 4
- Changes to class 2 NIC's 214 3
- Client RTI Shows payments not his 179 4
- LLP as member of LLP 123 1
- Why should I retain membership? 2,803 48
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 490 7
- Vat 293 7
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,297 13
- Recharge for private use of a company car 212 3
- Funding Circle Servicing Fee 186 2
- Auto enrolment excuses 842
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 715
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 398
- Social investment tax relief 216
- Digita Hosted Software 209
- Call Centre Data Costs 196
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 169
- accounting for this transaction 168
- Travel costs and contractors 163
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 157