Professional Clearance when fees outstanding...
We have received a professional clearance letter regarding a client who hasn't bothered to pay us, and even when we offered very good terms (let him pay a bill in arrears in 6 installments by direct debit), the last 3 months bounced.
We made it clear to the client that we wouldn't be doing any more work for him until outstanding invoices paid. There is no dispute as to the invoice, just the client says he doesn't have money to pay, and "why do you bother trying to collect the direct debit when it's going to bounce".
Anyway, client left (good riddance) and found another accountant, who is now asking for professional clearance and the usual (sets of accounts, debtors and creditors, TB, tax computations etc). I know that the client is extremely unlikely to pay what he owes if I give away the accounts etc.
How should I reply to the request for clearance? Whilst I want to get rid of this headache, I don't want to put any more work unpaid when I haven't been paid for the original work. What am I required to pass over, and what can I/shoudl I reply?
- Commission on holiday accrual 42 1
- error on companies house accounts 88 4
- Newly Started Practice 154 5
- Practice Company Secretarial Software recommendations please 150 2
- Sole trader startup losses and PAYE income in same year 178 4
- HMRC computer behind the times 179 3
- problems getting through to the ACCA technical helpline 63 2
- Benefit in kind calc, s.160 ITEPA 85 1
- Who's going to the next Tick & Bash? 340 6
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 219 6
- Overtime etc for PT employees 162 2
- Generic Notification Notices 118 1
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 441 5
- Anti- Money Laundering - CIMA Practising Certification Application 111 1
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 431 5
- RTI lost some data on laptop packing up!! 82 1
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 242 4
- Does This Company Need To File A Tax Return 143 1
- fraud 414 1
- Optimum salary for directors appointed part way through the year 238 3
- QROP pension input amounts 474
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 438
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 413
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 263
- EPS and CIS deductions 259
- Construction CIS LLP Company 245
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 212
- SAGE winforecast 178
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 170
- Managing deliberate defaulters hmrc 165