Professional Clearance when fees outstanding...
We have received a professional clearance letter regarding a client who hasn't bothered to pay us, and even when we offered very good terms (let him pay a bill in arrears in 6 installments by direct debit), the last 3 months bounced.
We made it clear to the client that we wouldn't be doing any more work for him until outstanding invoices paid. There is no dispute as to the invoice, just the client says he doesn't have money to pay, and "why do you bother trying to collect the direct debit when it's going to bounce".
Anyway, client left (good riddance) and found another accountant, who is now asking for professional clearance and the usual (sets of accounts, debtors and creditors, TB, tax computations etc). I know that the client is extremely unlikely to pay what he owes if I give away the accounts etc.
How should I reply to the request for clearance? Whilst I want to get rid of this headache, I don't want to put any more work unpaid when I haven't been paid for the original work. What am I required to pass over, and what can I/shoudl I reply?
- Overseas business trip - accompanied by family 25 1
- Spousal transfer and PPR 680 30
- unmarried couple, two houses, one rental - CGT? 231 8
- recompense capital input 168 11
- Exports/Dispatches - non VAT registered 100 2
- Capital allowances on taxis 217 2
- CT losses carry back 75 1
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 544 17
- help guys! self employed or still company income? 130 2
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 746 19
- Deferred Tax Asset & Liability 414 12
- Where has Portia gone? 2,252 68
- Financial Advisor / Mortgage brokering 123 1
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 183 3
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 219 5
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 986 22
- What shall I reduce payments on account to? 199 3
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 248 5
- Merging my businesses 225 3
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 489 8
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 797
- RTI - duplicate employee record 561
- Pensions Regulator 451
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 413
- Portia ... Where art thou 327
- Sanzar 315
- How do you do it 300
- Digital marketing focus group 298
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 273
- new investor structure 183