Professional Clearance when fees outstanding...
We have received a professional clearance letter regarding a client who hasn't bothered to pay us, and even when we offered very good terms (let him pay a bill in arrears in 6 installments by direct debit), the last 3 months bounced.
We made it clear to the client that we wouldn't be doing any more work for him until outstanding invoices paid. There is no dispute as to the invoice, just the client says he doesn't have money to pay, and "why do you bother trying to collect the direct debit when it's going to bounce".
Anyway, client left (good riddance) and found another accountant, who is now asking for professional clearance and the usual (sets of accounts, debtors and creditors, TB, tax computations etc). I know that the client is extremely unlikely to pay what he owes if I give away the accounts etc.
How should I reply to the request for clearance? Whilst I want to get rid of this headache, I don't want to put any more work unpaid when I haven't been paid for the original work. What am I required to pass over, and what can I/shoudl I reply?
- When to include value of import in Box 7 58 1
- employer pension contributions - OMB company 159 2
- Accounts production software license expiry & possible alternatives 297 7
- Capital gain? 74 3
- Are clients getting more stupid? 1,242 21
- Construction Industry Allowable expenses 262 8
- Recharge for private use of a company car 346 8
- How could I be identified for VAT purposes in UK? 412 8
- vat help for catering concession 273 10
- IHT dilemma 1,153 17
- Tax return software for remote working 230 3
- CGT 330 14
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) pension module 318 1
- Interest paid to non-UK company - Deduction 107 2
- Compliance check 509 13
- sole trader accountant 783 14
- Entrepreneurs Relief 400 15
- Capital Allowances and Building Improvements 603 21
- More AE! 495 11
- How to classify an asset 157 3
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,079
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 777
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 461
- Digita Hosted Software 279
- Call Centre Data Costs 251
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 223
- Credit where credit's due....... 215
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 204
- Married Couples Allowance wasted? 185
- Director phone costs 149