Professional Clearance when fees outstanding...
We have received a professional clearance letter regarding a client who hasn't bothered to pay us, and even when we offered very good terms (let him pay a bill in arrears in 6 installments by direct debit), the last 3 months bounced.
We made it clear to the client that we wouldn't be doing any more work for him until outstanding invoices paid. There is no dispute as to the invoice, just the client says he doesn't have money to pay, and "why do you bother trying to collect the direct debit when it's going to bounce".
Anyway, client left (good riddance) and found another accountant, who is now asking for professional clearance and the usual (sets of accounts, debtors and creditors, TB, tax computations etc). I know that the client is extremely unlikely to pay what he owes if I give away the accounts etc.
How should I reply to the request for clearance? Whilst I want to get rid of this headache, I don't want to put any more work unpaid when I haven't been paid for the original work. What am I required to pass over, and what can I/shoudl I reply?
- VAT - Recharge 115 3
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 242 3
- Legal title not in the company name 354 13
- Redundancy pay for directors? 518 14
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 897 19
- Opening Balances 83 1
- Companies Made Simple Dashboard? 210 2
- Employment Allowance 254 3
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 181 4
- CIC Company 539 7
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 1,374 21
- VAT online filing exemptions 320 4
- NALS Accountants Report 147 1
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,498 35
- Dividend dates 586 10
- Sole properietor 234 4
- transitioning payroll 272 8
- dividend proposals 158 2
- How to reclaim VAT that was missed off previous invoices? 266 2
- Deduction from Salary 328 8
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 626
- Cancelled 367
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 346
- Cancelled 314
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 286
- Probiz 275
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 240
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 232
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 207
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 178