A client indicated that he wished to change to another accountant. I had no problem with this, neither with the agreement that I should continue to completion accounts/returns in progress.
From telephone conversations with the proposed new accountant I felt there were some fairly basic matters on which he did not seem at all clear, which did give me some cause for concern.
When I had concluded outstanding matters (and been paid) the new accountant wrote to me. Two matters concerned me. Firstly that his request for connecting information was vague in the extreme and secondly that he stated he was a member of one of the leading accountancy bodies. In view of my concerns, I looked up the membership list of the organisation he claimed to be a member of and I could find no trace of his name nor of his business.
I wrote to him asking precisely what connecting information he required and also for clarification on his professional membership. I have received no reply.
My feeling is that, even in the absence of any specific request, I should provide such connecting infiormation as I regard to be reasonable on the basis that the client should not suffer. What action should I take with regard to his stated professional membership? Should I notify that organisation and if so should I advise the new accountant of my intention before doing so?
- EBT via Payroll 119 1
- Companies House late filing penalties 2,191 75
- Worried over stock value 252 5
- anyone using Office365 for practice management 871 24
- Sole Trader using Tax Losses 273 12
- What is Tronk System of payroll ? 127 2
- Tax return filed on time but payment late 202 3
- Company name change question... 175 3
- Writing down allowance / AIA 189 6
- Non-SA client with large capital gain 439 14
- Help needed- Unable to fill CT600 form using HMRC software- service issue 263 4
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,317 23
- how to reduce student loan payments - taxfiler 196 5
- Consolidation IFRS 76 1
- White van man 475 20
- foreign income 133 2
- Window Comb Binder Cover 315 5
- STUDENT LOAN 124 1
- Bookkeeping question 612 6
- wave software 237 2
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 835
- Copy Wanted 556
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 512
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 491
- Latest phishing scam 354
- Entrepreneurs' relief 331
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 297
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 289
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 283
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 187