A client indicated that he wished to change to another accountant. I had no problem with this, neither with the agreement that I should continue to completion accounts/returns in progress.
From telephone conversations with the proposed new accountant I felt there were some fairly basic matters on which he did not seem at all clear, which did give me some cause for concern.
When I had concluded outstanding matters (and been paid) the new accountant wrote to me. Two matters concerned me. Firstly that his request for connecting information was vague in the extreme and secondly that he stated he was a member of one of the leading accountancy bodies. In view of my concerns, I looked up the membership list of the organisation he claimed to be a member of and I could find no trace of his name nor of his business.
I wrote to him asking precisely what connecting information he required and also for clarification on his professional membership. I have received no reply.
My feeling is that, even in the absence of any specific request, I should provide such connecting infiormation as I regard to be reasonable on the basis that the client should not suffer. What action should I take with regard to his stated professional membership? Should I notify that organisation and if so should I advise the new accountant of my intention before doing so?
- Limited company buying a car 143 4
- Goodwill omitted from first years accounts 263 15
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 458 10
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 552 6
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 172 7
- Travel and Subsistence expenses while abroad 286 4
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 108 2
- ACCA practice certificates 495 5
- Limited company buying director's car 288 10
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 76 1
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 97 1
- WC's and capital allowances 172 3
- Entrepeneurs relief 306 13
- Dress code 1,546 36
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 479 13
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 258 6
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 378 4
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 473 23
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 186 4
- Loan Repayment on Invoice 106 3
- CTA study material 769
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 480
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 396
- Employment related securities question 308
- AIM Stocks and IHT 280
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 257
- Expat pension contributions? 256
- Trust for Employee 237
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 178
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 147