A client indicated that he wished to change to another accountant. I had no problem with this, neither with the agreement that I should continue to completion accounts/returns in progress.
From telephone conversations with the proposed new accountant I felt there were some fairly basic matters on which he did not seem at all clear, which did give me some cause for concern.
When I had concluded outstanding matters (and been paid) the new accountant wrote to me. Two matters concerned me. Firstly that his request for connecting information was vague in the extreme and secondly that he stated he was a member of one of the leading accountancy bodies. In view of my concerns, I looked up the membership list of the organisation he claimed to be a member of and I could find no trace of his name nor of his business.
I wrote to him asking precisely what connecting information he required and also for clarification on his professional membership. I have received no reply.
My feeling is that, even in the absence of any specific request, I should provide such connecting infiormation as I regard to be reasonable on the basis that the client should not suffer. What action should I take with regard to his stated professional membership? Should I notify that organisation and if so should I advise the new accountant of my intention before doing so?
- Mortgage Reference 423 4
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,244 45
- Xerocon 2016 1,113 29
- New Build 99 1
- Claiming annual pension allowance top up in SATR 79 1
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 717 15
- Starting band for savings - for 2014/2015 96 1
- USA Tax Query 255 2
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 408 5
- last minute request 598 6
- buying asset and settling vendor's debt 307 6
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 339 7
- Personal Tax 573 11
- Disengagement Help! 1,709 25
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 975 6
- Expenses paid by director (the comapny owner) 377 2
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 628 18
- Corrupt Excel File 688 10
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 2,005 43
- Locked Out of HMRC Online Account - HMRC Not Responding 297 2