A client indicated that he wished to change to another accountant. I had no problem with this, neither with the agreement that I should continue to completion accounts/returns in progress.
From telephone conversations with the proposed new accountant I felt there were some fairly basic matters on which he did not seem at all clear, which did give me some cause for concern.
When I had concluded outstanding matters (and been paid) the new accountant wrote to me. Two matters concerned me. Firstly that his request for connecting information was vague in the extreme and secondly that he stated he was a member of one of the leading accountancy bodies. In view of my concerns, I looked up the membership list of the organisation he claimed to be a member of and I could find no trace of his name nor of his business.
I wrote to him asking precisely what connecting information he required and also for clarification on his professional membership. I have received no reply.
My feeling is that, even in the absence of any specific request, I should provide such connecting infiormation as I regard to be reasonable on the basis that the client should not suffer. What action should I take with regard to his stated professional membership? Should I notify that organisation and if so should I advise the new accountant of my intention before doing so?
- SAGE con 92 1
- Overpayment relief claim 57 3
- Aggressive HMRC 1,409 16
- How to prepare and Finalize Vat company accounts 168 7
- New HMRC phone answering method ... 430 8
- Test purchases in VAT enquiries 92 1
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 488 27
- Aweb Fantasy Practice 1,219 19
- do I have to pay NI? 236 4
- Where can I get Quickbooks help 90 3
- rates of pay query 123 1
- Flat rate vat error 397 8
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,471 61
- Can you recognize revenue on asset sold and bought back at a later stage? 91 2
- How to format a stock book 391 2
- Can you get tax deduction for legal fees on sale of debtors 257 8
- Investment property company accounts template 260 1
- Quickbooks expert needed 139 2
- Charity reserves 89 1
- Have i messed up? 509 7
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 990
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 539
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 356
- Tax efficient holding company structure 284
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 265
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 209
- Charge out rates in London? 200
- Pension contributions higher rate extension? 176
- Personal consumption by landlord 175
- Interest on Loan to a Company 168