A client indicated that he wished to change to another accountant. I had no problem with this, neither with the agreement that I should continue to completion accounts/returns in progress.
From telephone conversations with the proposed new accountant I felt there were some fairly basic matters on which he did not seem at all clear, which did give me some cause for concern.
When I had concluded outstanding matters (and been paid) the new accountant wrote to me. Two matters concerned me. Firstly that his request for connecting information was vague in the extreme and secondly that he stated he was a member of one of the leading accountancy bodies. In view of my concerns, I looked up the membership list of the organisation he claimed to be a member of and I could find no trace of his name nor of his business.
I wrote to him asking precisely what connecting information he required and also for clarification on his professional membership. I have received no reply.
My feeling is that, even in the absence of any specific request, I should provide such connecting infiormation as I regard to be reasonable on the basis that the client should not suffer. What action should I take with regard to his stated professional membership? Should I notify that organisation and if so should I advise the new accountant of my intention before doing so?
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 584 5
- See you all on the other side 669 6
- 12Pay 432 2
- dividends 575 2
- R&D 304 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,159 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 430 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 388 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 359 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 534 5
- Seeking a tax case 631 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 490 4
- Companies house strike off 512 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 410 2
- Moving to the cloud 729 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 210 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 884 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 202 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,087 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 481 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 556
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 418
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 367
- IRIS and FRS 102 352
- Capitalising Finance Lease 318
- USA help 314
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 294
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 285
- Marginal rates of tax 268
- Capital gains on rental property 260