A client indicated that he wished to change to another accountant. I had no problem with this, neither with the agreement that I should continue to completion accounts/returns in progress.
From telephone conversations with the proposed new accountant I felt there were some fairly basic matters on which he did not seem at all clear, which did give me some cause for concern.
When I had concluded outstanding matters (and been paid) the new accountant wrote to me. Two matters concerned me. Firstly that his request for connecting information was vague in the extreme and secondly that he stated he was a member of one of the leading accountancy bodies. In view of my concerns, I looked up the membership list of the organisation he claimed to be a member of and I could find no trace of his name nor of his business.
I wrote to him asking precisely what connecting information he required and also for clarification on his professional membership. I have received no reply.
My feeling is that, even in the absence of any specific request, I should provide such connecting infiormation as I regard to be reasonable on the basis that the client should not suffer. What action should I take with regard to his stated professional membership? Should I notify that organisation and if so should I advise the new accountant of my intention before doing so?
- R&D tax claim 199 3
- Tax Allowance on University Course 33 1
- Gift to employee 341 9
- Transfer of a business 93 1
- You think HMRC are inefficient? 422 7
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 1,098 22
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 72 3
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 396 8
- VAT Cross Border Invoicing 98 2
- Sage Import Data 287 6
- Slight twist on employment related securities 235 1
- Child and Working Tax Credits and sudden increase in investment income - does this trigger a claw back? 75 2
- Best time software for small practice? 197 2
- Residents Association Corp Tax 308 13
- private to company car? 354 9
- Which address 994 11
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 97 1
- Do I charge VAT for event I held in Paris 257 5
- PAYE Refund Farce At HMRC 954 15
- Car maintenance costs deductible against CT 257 6
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 471
- CTA study material 451
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 324
- Pre incorp expenses 302
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 260
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 248
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 202
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 150
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 134
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 130