A client indicated that he wished to change to another accountant. I had no problem with this, neither with the agreement that I should continue to completion accounts/returns in progress.
From telephone conversations with the proposed new accountant I felt there were some fairly basic matters on which he did not seem at all clear, which did give me some cause for concern.
When I had concluded outstanding matters (and been paid) the new accountant wrote to me. Two matters concerned me. Firstly that his request for connecting information was vague in the extreme and secondly that he stated he was a member of one of the leading accountancy bodies. In view of my concerns, I looked up the membership list of the organisation he claimed to be a member of and I could find no trace of his name nor of his business.
I wrote to him asking precisely what connecting information he required and also for clarification on his professional membership. I have received no reply.
My feeling is that, even in the absence of any specific request, I should provide such connecting infiormation as I regard to be reasonable on the basis that the client should not suffer. What action should I take with regard to his stated professional membership? Should I notify that organisation and if so should I advise the new accountant of my intention before doing so?
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,630 34
- Recovering VAT on property purchase 247 4
- Agent for mobile DJs. Could the DJs be considered to be working for him? 113 1
- UK Subsidiary of Foreign Company 95 1
- How to prove to HMRC that you was not self employed? 1,022 31
- Drop Down Boxes 241 4
- Any Scottish members out there? 13,646 504
- Any other payroll providers transferring from Sage to Moneysoft? 169 1
- Does anyone use quotation software? 596 8
- help needed with rti paye please 177 3
- Cash injection by shareholder 865 9
- Director selling assets to the company that were given to her 426 11
- Can't read my handwriting 819 19
- Undeclared rental income 429 7
- Home Use Costs in Company Accounts ? 354 7
- Sick pay 263 6
- Directors self assessment 187 2
- Employer's Helpline 226 1
- Employment Allowance Incorrectly Claimed for Domestic Payroll 146 2
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 202 1
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,417
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 545
- National Insurance 442
- Non Resident 332
- Hands on experience of Digita 263
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 262
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 172
- Umbrella pay services 147
- VAT on ESS via Apple, Google, Nokia - 131
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 125