A client indicated that he wished to change to another accountant. I had no problem with this, neither with the agreement that I should continue to completion accounts/returns in progress.
From telephone conversations with the proposed new accountant I felt there were some fairly basic matters on which he did not seem at all clear, which did give me some cause for concern.
When I had concluded outstanding matters (and been paid) the new accountant wrote to me. Two matters concerned me. Firstly that his request for connecting information was vague in the extreme and secondly that he stated he was a member of one of the leading accountancy bodies. In view of my concerns, I looked up the membership list of the organisation he claimed to be a member of and I could find no trace of his name nor of his business.
I wrote to him asking precisely what connecting information he required and also for clarification on his professional membership. I have received no reply.
My feeling is that, even in the absence of any specific request, I should provide such connecting infiormation as I regard to be reasonable on the basis that the client should not suffer. What action should I take with regard to his stated professional membership? Should I notify that organisation and if so should I advise the new accountant of my intention before doing so?
- VAT on motor expenses 881 32
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 44 1
- Sage Payroll with 'employees' not having tax or NI deducted 48 1
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,699 22
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,292 40
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 81 1
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 275 12
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 132 3
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 155 7
- Introduction of Goodwill 182 5
- PayPal Transaction Analysis 152 4
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 737 19
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 383 12
- Money transfers between companies owned by one person 201 9
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 323 11
- Sage 50 (2010) 105 2
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 388 3
- Recommendation of US tax adviser? 91 1
- Notes to statutory accounts 323 15
- Two clients (married to each other) disappeared from client list 401 9
- Skandia using wrong address 1,542
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 849
- International interest certificate 467
- NOVA 326
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 225
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 216
- Bonus Bonds 206
- Management expenses for investment company 203
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 195
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 182