A client indicated that he wished to change to another accountant. I had no problem with this, neither with the agreement that I should continue to completion accounts/returns in progress.
From telephone conversations with the proposed new accountant I felt there were some fairly basic matters on which he did not seem at all clear, which did give me some cause for concern.
When I had concluded outstanding matters (and been paid) the new accountant wrote to me. Two matters concerned me. Firstly that his request for connecting information was vague in the extreme and secondly that he stated he was a member of one of the leading accountancy bodies. In view of my concerns, I looked up the membership list of the organisation he claimed to be a member of and I could find no trace of his name nor of his business.
I wrote to him asking precisely what connecting information he required and also for clarification on his professional membership. I have received no reply.
My feeling is that, even in the absence of any specific request, I should provide such connecting infiormation as I regard to be reasonable on the basis that the client should not suffer. What action should I take with regard to his stated professional membership? Should I notify that organisation and if so should I advise the new accountant of my intention before doing so?
- Mixing up NI numbers under RTI 267 7
- Buying a company for £20,000 from owner how it works? 590 9
- 31st october deadline 360 6
- Property gift to sister 86 4
- RTI Late Registration query 133 1
- Treatment of one-off payments to non-employees 213 2
- Payroll software 135 1
- Who gets the CGT deduction 209 2
- Accounting for display stands 227 7
- Companies House Search 292 3
- VAT training 253 4
- Letter saying client is IR35 compliant 260 3
- Is it any of my business ? 1,509 15
- VAT Flat Rate Scheme 306 3
- A Friday Funny. 314 5
- Something for the weekend? 256 5
- Moneysoft Payroll 554 12
- Practicing without a Practicing Certificate 1,251 19
- How much do you charge for Accountant's Reference? 2,538 26
- Coming out of flat rate 155 1
- NHS finance professionals 708
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 429
- Foreign Pension Contribution 401
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 384
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 383
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 338
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 301
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 279
- IFA income recognition & reporting 224
- Incorporating doctors 218