A client indicated that he wished to change to another accountant. I had no problem with this, neither with the agreement that I should continue to completion accounts/returns in progress.
From telephone conversations with the proposed new accountant I felt there were some fairly basic matters on which he did not seem at all clear, which did give me some cause for concern.
When I had concluded outstanding matters (and been paid) the new accountant wrote to me. Two matters concerned me. Firstly that his request for connecting information was vague in the extreme and secondly that he stated he was a member of one of the leading accountancy bodies. In view of my concerns, I looked up the membership list of the organisation he claimed to be a member of and I could find no trace of his name nor of his business.
I wrote to him asking precisely what connecting information he required and also for clarification on his professional membership. I have received no reply.
My feeling is that, even in the absence of any specific request, I should provide such connecting infiormation as I regard to be reasonable on the basis that the client should not suffer. What action should I take with regard to his stated professional membership? Should I notify that organisation and if so should I advise the new accountant of my intention before doing so?
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 381 6
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 2,278 15
- Final year's accounts 133 1
- Do I Need A Balance Sheet? 230 5
- Self Assessment Tax Return Penalties 282 5
- Errors in prior year accounts 816 21
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 302 7
- Filing FPS early with moneysoft 221 15
- Have we a distribution when we reduced our capital but it hadn't been registered? & tax implications in winding up 124 2
- VAT & capitalising 101 2
- What are options for non CA firm 1,966 36
- Invoice Help 242 7
- Summer evenings and ponderings of capital allowances 168 3
- Employee overpaid who has left 240 4
- Limited Company keeping receipts 233 3
- Sorry ignore me 906 24
- Donaldson v HMRC case being heard tomorrow! 585 5
- Free Shares ? 247 2
- Is this a scam? 575 7
- Rental property: expenses when up for sale and not let 300 7
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 625
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 532
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 294
- Cancelled 285
- Cancelled 245
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 192
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 189
- Probiz 176
- Married woman dies owning marital home 166
- What's the market like for temps? 165