A client indicated that he wished to change to another accountant. I had no problem with this, neither with the agreement that I should continue to completion accounts/returns in progress.
From telephone conversations with the proposed new accountant I felt there were some fairly basic matters on which he did not seem at all clear, which did give me some cause for concern.
When I had concluded outstanding matters (and been paid) the new accountant wrote to me. Two matters concerned me. Firstly that his request for connecting information was vague in the extreme and secondly that he stated he was a member of one of the leading accountancy bodies. In view of my concerns, I looked up the membership list of the organisation he claimed to be a member of and I could find no trace of his name nor of his business.
I wrote to him asking precisely what connecting information he required and also for clarification on his professional membership. I have received no reply.
My feeling is that, even in the absence of any specific request, I should provide such connecting infiormation as I regard to be reasonable on the basis that the client should not suffer. What action should I take with regard to his stated professional membership? Should I notify that organisation and if so should I advise the new accountant of my intention before doing so?
- Am I the only one who finds this annoying 1,169 41
- Flat Rate VAT 239 8
- Sage Drive Queue.dta file lock out 705 15
- Practice software 1,183 17
- Starting your response in the subject line of the form 308 7
- When to register or not for PAYE 534 11
- Invoicing for monthly clients 490 8
- Seeking advice: With recruitment agencies for temporary placements, is VAT taken off the whole sum received from the client, or just what the company retains? 231 5
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 568 8
- Redundancy pay 320 9
- Final CT Return - liquidating company 233 2
- VAT on farm machinery sold 261 5
- Servicing AE fees 183 2
- VAT Receipts 272 8
- Changing pay dates on Moneysoft 155 2
- P800 problems again 117 1
- Company accounts for £350 990 27
- Directors Loan Account Question 438 12
- Setting up a Charity Trust?? 156 4
- Seeking advice: Osetting Directors Loan at Startup 235 5
- FRS 101 Software 338
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 304
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 299
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 274
- French ConnectionUK 240
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 214
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 203
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 202
- APN's 185
- Penalties for late filing of P11D forms 183