A client indicated that he wished to change to another accountant. I had no problem with this, neither with the agreement that I should continue to completion accounts/returns in progress.
From telephone conversations with the proposed new accountant I felt there were some fairly basic matters on which he did not seem at all clear, which did give me some cause for concern.
When I had concluded outstanding matters (and been paid) the new accountant wrote to me. Two matters concerned me. Firstly that his request for connecting information was vague in the extreme and secondly that he stated he was a member of one of the leading accountancy bodies. In view of my concerns, I looked up the membership list of the organisation he claimed to be a member of and I could find no trace of his name nor of his business.
I wrote to him asking precisely what connecting information he required and also for clarification on his professional membership. I have received no reply.
My feeling is that, even in the absence of any specific request, I should provide such connecting infiormation as I regard to be reasonable on the basis that the client should not suffer. What action should I take with regard to his stated professional membership? Should I notify that organisation and if so should I advise the new accountant of my intention before doing so?
- Separate Pay runs for salary and commission 147 4
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 1,040 13
- ATT Exam tips and study help 200 4
- NO SUCH THING AS UNQUALIED ACCOUNTANT 85 1
- FBI2 192 3
- Double entry 152 4
- Companies House 131 3
- sage 89 2
- Small house in garden 133 1
- THE PUBLIC SECTOR SUCKS 115 2
- Clients 914 18
- can a dormant company make an employer pension contribution? 283 12
- Manually amending PAYE Code Number in HMRC Basic PAYE Tools 137 5
- Accountants not providing all required information 268 4
- Director's personal expenses paid by the Company 308 5
- Sage 50 - How do I find the column headings when I export to CSV 128 5
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 517 11
- Bureau payroll software and Auto Enrolment - which is the best? 165 3
- SAGE winforecast 248 1
- Trust 115 1
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 537
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 466
- EPS and CIS deductions 327
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 310
- Construction CIS LLP Company 299
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 295
- Tax Investigation - Employee Travel 262
- Overdrawn director account 217
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 204
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 199