A client indicated that he wished to change to another accountant. I had no problem with this, neither with the agreement that I should continue to completion accounts/returns in progress.
From telephone conversations with the proposed new accountant I felt there were some fairly basic matters on which he did not seem at all clear, which did give me some cause for concern.
When I had concluded outstanding matters (and been paid) the new accountant wrote to me. Two matters concerned me. Firstly that his request for connecting information was vague in the extreme and secondly that he stated he was a member of one of the leading accountancy bodies. In view of my concerns, I looked up the membership list of the organisation he claimed to be a member of and I could find no trace of his name nor of his business.
I wrote to him asking precisely what connecting information he required and also for clarification on his professional membership. I have received no reply.
My feeling is that, even in the absence of any specific request, I should provide such connecting infiormation as I regard to be reasonable on the basis that the client should not suffer. What action should I take with regard to his stated professional membership? Should I notify that organisation and if so should I advise the new accountant of my intention before doing so?
- VAT on Exhibition services 131 4
- Company Payroll 116 2
- Interim dividends 167 5
- Dates, more dates and cessation 92 2
- Any printer recommendations? 179 6
- Out of date tax returns 256 2
- Corporation Tax disallowed entertaining 157 3
- How do I tackle fraudulent use of a clients SA tax return? 1,068 6
- Filling in my self assessment 978 17
- ACCA CPD verifiable units 168 2
- Any chance of winning an Appeal with HRMC for late self assessment charges 337 7
- proposed dividends 662 22
- Deductible or not ? Working out of hotels /coffee shops 449 6
- FPS responses ... 521 16
- Nominal Codes 283 9
- Charging VAT to a Swedish Company 218 7
- How to handle accidental overpayment into SIPP 239 2
- Valuing Famiy Shareholding 204 3
- HMRC SMP Calculator - does it still exist? 136 2
- Alcohol VAT reclaim 188 1
- Sanzar 499
- Digital marketing focus group 399
- Sage troubleshooting for employee who has previously claimed SMP 379
- Sainsbury's mangement 331
- Are commercial mortgage cashbacks subject to Corporation Tax ? 329
- Continuity Agreement 326
- Avanti Accounts 323
- Buyback 286
- Entrepreneurs' relief (ER) for EMI shares 233
- Aggresive sales from Iris 203