A client indicated that he wished to change to another accountant. I had no problem with this, neither with the agreement that I should continue to completion accounts/returns in progress.
From telephone conversations with the proposed new accountant I felt there were some fairly basic matters on which he did not seem at all clear, which did give me some cause for concern.
When I had concluded outstanding matters (and been paid) the new accountant wrote to me. Two matters concerned me. Firstly that his request for connecting information was vague in the extreme and secondly that he stated he was a member of one of the leading accountancy bodies. In view of my concerns, I looked up the membership list of the organisation he claimed to be a member of and I could find no trace of his name nor of his business.
I wrote to him asking precisely what connecting information he required and also for clarification on his professional membership. I have received no reply.
My feeling is that, even in the absence of any specific request, I should provide such connecting infiormation as I regard to be reasonable on the basis that the client should not suffer. What action should I take with regard to his stated professional membership? Should I notify that organisation and if so should I advise the new accountant of my intention before doing so?
- What expenses to claim for painter/decorator working from home base 49 1
- ICAS GPPM 79 1
- PPR for non-residents after 05 Apr 2015 123 2
- Payroll 243 7
- Buying fees 684 5
- IHT Query 443 11
- Audit and paypal balances 178 7
- Missing C79 159 5
- Tax relief for backdated pension contributions 489 16
- VAT margin scheme 273 14
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 311 8
- How to walk away without questions 2,735 17
- Takeover of Annual PAYE scheme 136 2
- Get it off your chest 255 4
- Directors bonus 159 2
- Auto Enrolment specialist service provider 113 1
- Personal Pension Withdrawal 285 3
- HMRC Unpaid Debt Collector 282 5
- do you receive fewer phone calls than some years back because of emails 185 3
- break even point 1,123 33
- Possible Partnership? 561
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 554
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 482
- New Fangled Penalties 358
- Clubs and Taxable Income 295
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 279
- Loans to other companies 222
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 215
- Outsource Data Entry 182
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 180