A client indicated that he wished to change to another accountant. I had no problem with this, neither with the agreement that I should continue to completion accounts/returns in progress.
From telephone conversations with the proposed new accountant I felt there were some fairly basic matters on which he did not seem at all clear, which did give me some cause for concern.
When I had concluded outstanding matters (and been paid) the new accountant wrote to me. Two matters concerned me. Firstly that his request for connecting information was vague in the extreme and secondly that he stated he was a member of one of the leading accountancy bodies. In view of my concerns, I looked up the membership list of the organisation he claimed to be a member of and I could find no trace of his name nor of his business.
I wrote to him asking precisely what connecting information he required and also for clarification on his professional membership. I have received no reply.
My feeling is that, even in the absence of any specific request, I should provide such connecting infiormation as I regard to be reasonable on the basis that the client should not suffer. What action should I take with regard to his stated professional membership? Should I notify that organisation and if so should I advise the new accountant of my intention before doing so?
- Time to ditch Sage? 258 4
- Fees 284 3
- Agent Authorisation Issue 246 3
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 392 14
- HMRC Post 531 7
- Transactions with directors 446 3
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 286 9
- Non VAT invoices 203 4
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 203 2
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,391 32
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 256 5
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 227 2
- Form 17 Download 155 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 561 28
- Small hotel - food for personal use 384 4
- HMRC Information notice 994 24
- Recommendations for online payroll software 281 3
- Accountant Specialization. 398 5
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,786 42
- Sage Line 50 184 3
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 764
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 414
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 365
- Electric Car 299
- S222 Charge 245
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 210
- IP trans to holding company 195
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 185
- AIA 180
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 178