A client indicated that he wished to change to another accountant. I had no problem with this, neither with the agreement that I should continue to completion accounts/returns in progress.
From telephone conversations with the proposed new accountant I felt there were some fairly basic matters on which he did not seem at all clear, which did give me some cause for concern.
When I had concluded outstanding matters (and been paid) the new accountant wrote to me. Two matters concerned me. Firstly that his request for connecting information was vague in the extreme and secondly that he stated he was a member of one of the leading accountancy bodies. In view of my concerns, I looked up the membership list of the organisation he claimed to be a member of and I could find no trace of his name nor of his business.
I wrote to him asking precisely what connecting information he required and also for clarification on his professional membership. I have received no reply.
My feeling is that, even in the absence of any specific request, I should provide such connecting infiormation as I regard to be reasonable on the basis that the client should not suffer. What action should I take with regard to his stated professional membership? Should I notify that organisation and if so should I advise the new accountant of my intention before doing so?
- Redundancy Pay 428 6
- Entertaining - am I missing something or is my client taking the mickey 670 6
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 698 19
- Sage Priority Support 97 2
- incorrect old p60 131 1
- HMRC interview re client authorisation 490 4
- VAT on new builds 120 2
- Becoming a subcontractor to Accountancy Practices 349 2
- Rental business through company without owning the property? 129 1
- Pensions Auto-Enrolment when no computer/internet access 121 1
- Bank Interest Held by Solicitor During Divorce 141 1
- Are accountants facing a doomsday scenario? 1,852 26
- Missing tax return 185 2
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 922 24
- CG on Spanish property disposal 278 8
- SSAS Pension scheme 165 2
- Quick Income tax calculation question! 559 18
- Physiotherapy 246 3
- Inflation and fees 1,224 20
- Capital allowances not claimed 174 3