Property development or property investment?
Some property developers entered the market and spent significant sums of money renovating and developing a property with a view to selling it at a profit. The property is mortgaged.
They were subsequently unable to sell it at a reasonable price due to the housing market decline. To cover the mortgage interest and the other ongoing costs (service charge, ground rent) they let it at a market rent for 6 months. Now the property is vacant they are hoping to sell it and to resume their property development ambitions.
My question is, will HMRC accept they are property developers or will HMRC now insist that the property is treated as an investment for tax purposes? The owners of the property wish the property to be treated as a property development because of the large sum of money they have expended in renovating it which they believe they will lose otherwise.
Any comments or advice welcome.
- Trade name 130 3
- CT/CIS offset 56 1
- Musician - Allowable Travel expenses 112 1
- Funding Circle Servicing Fee 97 1
- New business - journal entries 282 20
- B2B vat in the EU 90 2
- Stamp duty on multiple property transaction 304 18
- Why should I retain membership? 2,623 45
- VAT on deposits 195 2
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 132 3
- VAT clearance for determining the correct rate to apply 117 1
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 379 12
- option to tax 196 1
- Share of profits from building society 74 1
- sage vat journal 75 1
- Coding Notice 100 1
- Free invoicing software 136 2
- BTL property solely in wife's name - can she split rental income with husband? 552 15
- CIS deductions against the wrong UTR 250 7
- Looking for BIK v mileage comparison software 165 2
- Auto enrolment excuses 763
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 702
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 380
- Social investment tax relief 200
- Digita Hosted Software 192
- Call Centre Data Costs 189
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 153
- Travel costs and contractors 143
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 132
- Certificates of tax deposit 128