Property development or property investment?
Some property developers entered the market and spent significant sums of money renovating and developing a property with a view to selling it at a profit. The property is mortgaged.
They were subsequently unable to sell it at a reasonable price due to the housing market decline. To cover the mortgage interest and the other ongoing costs (service charge, ground rent) they let it at a market rent for 6 months. Now the property is vacant they are hoping to sell it and to resume their property development ambitions.
My question is, will HMRC accept they are property developers or will HMRC now insist that the property is treated as an investment for tax purposes? The owners of the property wish the property to be treated as a property development because of the large sum of money they have expended in renovating it which they believe they will lose otherwise.
Any comments or advice welcome.
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 190 4
- Sage 50 cost centre limitations 19 1
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,051 12
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 950 11
- Capital allowances on a 3G Pitch 176 10
- Buying a horse?? 204 8
- What's in a name ? 1,106 9
- Vodaphone Share Scheme 211 2
- Audit 316 8
- Awkward IP 1,387 14
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 785 20
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 485 7
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 629 18
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 774 22
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 1,114 12
- LLP members transfer to limited companies. 140 1
- carry back of gift aid 194 3
- Employee to move to Isle of Man 310 8
- Negligible value - JJB Sports 259 1
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 571 11
- CTA study material 791
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 487
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 433
- Employment related securities question 314
- AIM Stocks and IHT 293
- Expat pension contributions? 272
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 270
- Trust for Employee 249
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 210
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 154