Property development or property investment?
Some property developers entered the market and spent significant sums of money renovating and developing a property with a view to selling it at a profit. The property is mortgaged.
They were subsequently unable to sell it at a reasonable price due to the housing market decline. To cover the mortgage interest and the other ongoing costs (service charge, ground rent) they let it at a market rent for 6 months. Now the property is vacant they are hoping to sell it and to resume their property development ambitions.
My question is, will HMRC accept they are property developers or will HMRC now insist that the property is treated as an investment for tax purposes? The owners of the property wish the property to be treated as a property development because of the large sum of money they have expended in renovating it which they believe they will lose otherwise.
Any comments or advice welcome.
- UK Subsidiary of Foreign Company 84 1
- How to prove to HMRC that you was not self employed? 1,011 31
- Drop Down Boxes 232 4
- Any Scottish members out there? 13,635 504
- Any other payroll providers transferring from Sage to Moneysoft? 147 1
- Does anyone use quotation software? 587 8
- help needed with rti paye please 154 3
- Cash injection by shareholder 854 9
- Director selling assets to the company that were given to her 419 11
- Can't read my handwriting 814 19
- Undeclared rental income 420 7
- Home Use Costs in Company Accounts ? 345 7
- Sick pay 253 6
- Directors self assessment 177 2
- Employer's Helpline 224 1
- Employment Allowance Incorrectly Claimed for Domestic Payroll 136 2
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 199 1
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,770 70
- Travel and Subsistence expenses while abroad 1,100 8
- Penalties for an amended p35 (2012/13) 151 2
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,415
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 542
- National Insurance 442
- Non Resident 330
- Hands on experience of Digita 262
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 256
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 169
- Umbrella pay services 145
- VAT on ESS via Apple, Google, Nokia - 124
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 123