Property development or property investment?
Some property developers entered the market and spent significant sums of money renovating and developing a property with a view to selling it at a profit. The property is mortgaged.
They were subsequently unable to sell it at a reasonable price due to the housing market decline. To cover the mortgage interest and the other ongoing costs (service charge, ground rent) they let it at a market rent for 6 months. Now the property is vacant they are hoping to sell it and to resume their property development ambitions.
My question is, will HMRC accept they are property developers or will HMRC now insist that the property is treated as an investment for tax purposes? The owners of the property wish the property to be treated as a property development because of the large sum of money they have expended in renovating it which they believe they will lose otherwise.
Any comments or advice welcome.
- OBK 273 10
- Mileage claim 141 5
- Auto-Enrolment 3,566 171
- What is 'an asset' for A/A+B CGT? 60 2
- Proof of Delivery 175 6
- Difference of Sales Invoices and Bank receipts for Sales 320 8
- Partially exempt? 100 2
- VAT on converted property having opted to tax 222 9
- Property expense - legal fees 134 3
- Research expenses for authors 270 6
- Investor exit 73 1
- Tax question about small group and how to set up 125 3
- Place of Supply or these two contracts walk into a German Bar 239 4
- Accounting for a VAT Group 120 3
- Xero (another cloud system) and your year end accounts file 132 2
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,699 25
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 410 4
- Any Scottish members out there? 15,756 588
- Rental Income Tax Planning 127 2
- What type of Trust? 99 1
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 509
- Skandia using wrong address 459
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 266
- Employee rewards 245
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 245
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 214
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 203
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 197
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 187
- Etax Australian 158