Property development or property investment?
Some property developers entered the market and spent significant sums of money renovating and developing a property with a view to selling it at a profit. The property is mortgaged.
They were subsequently unable to sell it at a reasonable price due to the housing market decline. To cover the mortgage interest and the other ongoing costs (service charge, ground rent) they let it at a market rent for 6 months. Now the property is vacant they are hoping to sell it and to resume their property development ambitions.
My question is, will HMRC accept they are property developers or will HMRC now insist that the property is treated as an investment for tax purposes? The owners of the property wish the property to be treated as a property development because of the large sum of money they have expended in renovating it which they believe they will lose otherwise.
Any comments or advice welcome.
- Using profits from Ltd company as start up funds for new venture 34 1
- Capital payments offshore trust 62 1
- Pay in Lieu of notice 64 2
- Gift with reservation, IHT & CGT 91 1
- Splitting hairs with a national firm 1,102 9
- Sage 50 re-key - VAT problem 72 2
- Unreimbursed employee expenses 171 1
- Deduction from Salary 459 11
- Doctor and Locum Work 143 2
- State pension 125 1
- NALS Accountants Report 288 4
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 259 6
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,121 40
- CIC Company 617 11
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 275 6
- This is getting boring 470 10
- 27,000 Really? 739 24
- VAT on printing when being a third party 105 2
- ACCA Cert/Dip in IFRS 200 3
- Farm barn lettings 136 2
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 632
- Cancelled 376
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 348
- Cancelled 322
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 298
- Probiz 287
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 256
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 245
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 214
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 190