Property development or property investment?
Some property developers entered the market and spent significant sums of money renovating and developing a property with a view to selling it at a profit. The property is mortgaged.
They were subsequently unable to sell it at a reasonable price due to the housing market decline. To cover the mortgage interest and the other ongoing costs (service charge, ground rent) they let it at a market rent for 6 months. Now the property is vacant they are hoping to sell it and to resume their property development ambitions.
My question is, will HMRC accept they are property developers or will HMRC now insist that the property is treated as an investment for tax purposes? The owners of the property wish the property to be treated as a property development because of the large sum of money they have expended in renovating it which they believe they will lose otherwise.
Any comments or advice welcome.
- Comments on this scenario 102 2
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,628 67
- Starting an accountancy practice for bachelors? 74 2
- Penalties 108 1
- SAGE con 218 4
- rates of pay query 215 3
- Dormant company owns shares in another company 84 2
- Recommendation for a good website on exchange rate forecast 135 10
- Pension contributions higher rate extension? 196 1
- Trading Structure / Illegal Trading 103 1
- Overpayment relief claim 152 5
- Charity reserves 129 3
- Have i messed up? 666 10
- Year end 361 4
- Test purchases in VAT enquiries 217 3
- Related Parties Note 419 9
- Annual Investment Allowance (AIA) 105 1
- Where can I get Quickbooks help 128 4
- loss on carbon credits 110 2
- New HMRC phone answering method ... 594 9
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,012
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 548
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 361
- Tax efficient holding company structure 288
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 276
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 214
- Charge out rates in London? 209
- Personal consumption by landlord 183
- Interest on Loan to a Company 174
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 150