Property development or property investment?
Some property developers entered the market and spent significant sums of money renovating and developing a property with a view to selling it at a profit. The property is mortgaged.
They were subsequently unable to sell it at a reasonable price due to the housing market decline. To cover the mortgage interest and the other ongoing costs (service charge, ground rent) they let it at a market rent for 6 months. Now the property is vacant they are hoping to sell it and to resume their property development ambitions.
My question is, will HMRC accept they are property developers or will HMRC now insist that the property is treated as an investment for tax purposes? The owners of the property wish the property to be treated as a property development because of the large sum of money they have expended in renovating it which they believe they will lose otherwise.
Any comments or advice welcome.
- Nominal Code for Car lease? 153 7
- Put fees on website 171 5
- s75 ICTA88 Management expenses - idiots guide 1,447 27
- Director resignation 121 3
- Can't find a good web address 83 1
- effective advertising 106 2
- Mobile phone and P11D 1,237 4
- I'm thinking of moving to Ireland 233 3
- Sigma Red 1,358 3
- CIS Software Recommendations 336 5
- VAT on medical/care services? 77 2
- Definition of "relative" in benefits code 158 2
- Live Chat on Accountancy Website 437 6
- Should we let the Client Call the Shots? 470 7
- VAT Variation Team 189 3
- Cloud Based Software recommendations please 91 1
- Sage help please 300 4
- charges for storing documents 196 1
- Share scheme annual returns problem 87 1
- VAT in Eu 76 1
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 475
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 458
- WIP Software 331
- No payroll scheme in place 283
- Is there anything wrong with this? 254
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 246
- Small Part Disposal of Property 225
- Uncommercial property business 216
- Apple Employees - RSU vesting and tax witheld 187
- SA Penalty 180