Property development or property investment?
Some property developers entered the market and spent significant sums of money renovating and developing a property with a view to selling it at a profit. The property is mortgaged.
They were subsequently unable to sell it at a reasonable price due to the housing market decline. To cover the mortgage interest and the other ongoing costs (service charge, ground rent) they let it at a market rent for 6 months. Now the property is vacant they are hoping to sell it and to resume their property development ambitions.
My question is, will HMRC accept they are property developers or will HMRC now insist that the property is treated as an investment for tax purposes? The owners of the property wish the property to be treated as a property development because of the large sum of money they have expended in renovating it which they believe they will lose otherwise.
Any comments or advice welcome.
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,096 20
- QBO VAT box 2 and 4 137 1
- VAT - Check on clients business 605 25
- Transfer of a trade WITHOUT assets? 131 1
- Amend a 2010/11 return 133 1
- Advanced SMP, but employee returns to work early 188 1
- How to deal with prior year error 180 2
- Repaying Directors Loans within 9 months 548 19
- Bookkeeping Rate of Pay 2,349 33
- What's the Barmiest Reason A Client gave you for going? 2,055 20
- Tax Calculations 661 10
- Tax Fines - HMRC 422 4
- Exemption from CGT 260 2
- VAT Registration 263 3
- Digita Users - Can you please confirm? 469 14
- Autumn statement predictions 458 8
- ACCA Practising Certificate Holder 365 4
- How to claim relief under a Double Taxation Agreement 205 3
- Moneysoft error 437 7
- Repaying Directors loan by transferring an asset 650 26