Property development or property investment?
Some property developers entered the market and spent significant sums of money renovating and developing a property with a view to selling it at a profit. The property is mortgaged.
They were subsequently unable to sell it at a reasonable price due to the housing market decline. To cover the mortgage interest and the other ongoing costs (service charge, ground rent) they let it at a market rent for 6 months. Now the property is vacant they are hoping to sell it and to resume their property development ambitions.
My question is, will HMRC accept they are property developers or will HMRC now insist that the property is treated as an investment for tax purposes? The owners of the property wish the property to be treated as a property development because of the large sum of money they have expended in renovating it which they believe they will lose otherwise.
Any comments or advice welcome.
- SATR - ommission of capital gains 74 1
- Recourse to Accountant for incorrect accounts 2,261 19
- Scanners 170 4
- Overdrawn Directors Loan Account 85 1
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 160 5
- Solar panels - VAT and Capital allowances 233 3
- Recharge for private use of a company car 403 9
- Payment plans for clients 122 2
- General rule: Evidence that the customer is in business 229 1
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 246 7
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 390 2
- Should I move back home away from my office? 448 9
- P60 or payslips? 97 1
- Property income in different capacities 108 1
- IHT dilemma 1,383 21
- Warning for freeagent accountants using payroll import 192 1
- IT advisory questions? 179 5
- Entrepreneurs Relief 796 44
- Has anyone else come across VAT account suspensions? 148 1
- Ceasing in membership of ATT 529 7
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,160
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 798
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 488
- Digita Hosted Software 320
- Credit where credit's due....... 273
- Director phone costs 237
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 227
- What to say to Tom, Dick and Harry... 202
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 156
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 139