Property development or property investment?
Some property developers entered the market and spent significant sums of money renovating and developing a property with a view to selling it at a profit. The property is mortgaged.
They were subsequently unable to sell it at a reasonable price due to the housing market decline. To cover the mortgage interest and the other ongoing costs (service charge, ground rent) they let it at a market rent for 6 months. Now the property is vacant they are hoping to sell it and to resume their property development ambitions.
My question is, will HMRC accept they are property developers or will HMRC now insist that the property is treated as an investment for tax purposes? The owners of the property wish the property to be treated as a property development because of the large sum of money they have expended in renovating it which they believe they will lose otherwise.
Any comments or advice welcome.
- What expenses to claim for painter/decorator working from home base 41 1
- ICAS GPPM 76 1
- PPR for non-residents after 05 Apr 2015 110 2
- Payroll 236 7
- Buying fees 681 5
- IHT Query 439 11
- Audit and paypal balances 175 7
- Missing C79 154 5
- Tax relief for backdated pension contributions 488 16
- VAT margin scheme 270 14
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 303 8
- How to walk away without questions 2,729 17
- Takeover of Annual PAYE scheme 127 2
- Get it off your chest 252 4
- Directors bonus 154 2
- Auto Enrolment specialist service provider 107 1
- Personal Pension Withdrawal 284 3
- HMRC Unpaid Debt Collector 268 5
- do you receive fewer phone calls than some years back because of emails 179 3
- break even point 1,120 33
- Possible Partnership? 557
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 553
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 481
- New Fangled Penalties 354
- Clubs and Taxable Income 293
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 277
- Loans to other companies 220
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 213
- Outsource Data Entry 180
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 179