Property development or property investment?
Some property developers entered the market and spent significant sums of money renovating and developing a property with a view to selling it at a profit. The property is mortgaged.
They were subsequently unable to sell it at a reasonable price due to the housing market decline. To cover the mortgage interest and the other ongoing costs (service charge, ground rent) they let it at a market rent for 6 months. Now the property is vacant they are hoping to sell it and to resume their property development ambitions.
My question is, will HMRC accept they are property developers or will HMRC now insist that the property is treated as an investment for tax purposes? The owners of the property wish the property to be treated as a property development because of the large sum of money they have expended in renovating it which they believe they will lose otherwise.
Any comments or advice welcome.
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 119 2
- how do i get UTR 87 3
- Input VAT suffered in EU 66 2
- Client Entertainment to get new business or referral as opposed to say thanks 75 1
- Is there any good reading I can obtain to do self assesment on partnerships? 209 3
- A round of applause please for winner of BITCH OF THE 299 11
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 90 1
- Your comments please 284 6
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 303 5
- VAT on Royal Mail Parcel Services 171 9
- CT600 deadline & shortened year end 99 2
- EIS 188 4
- Director Expenses and P11D but no PAYE scheme in place 90 2
- Income Splitting - form 17 and DoT 99 1
- Charity requirements to report ALL I&E in accounts 103 2
- Transfer of Software to sister company 104 1
- CGT history of shares 151 2
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 706 14
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 197 1
- Ordering same-day transactions 130 2
- Moving away from CCH software 963
- QROP pension input amounts 449
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 393
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 374
- fraud 297
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 272
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 242
- Construction CIS LLP Company 224
- EPS and CIS deductions 218
- Out of time or not? 202