Property development or property investment?
Some property developers entered the market and spent significant sums of money renovating and developing a property with a view to selling it at a profit. The property is mortgaged.
They were subsequently unable to sell it at a reasonable price due to the housing market decline. To cover the mortgage interest and the other ongoing costs (service charge, ground rent) they let it at a market rent for 6 months. Now the property is vacant they are hoping to sell it and to resume their property development ambitions.
My question is, will HMRC accept they are property developers or will HMRC now insist that the property is treated as an investment for tax purposes? The owners of the property wish the property to be treated as a property development because of the large sum of money they have expended in renovating it which they believe they will lose otherwise.
Any comments or advice welcome.
- You think HMRC are inefficient? 203 6
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 134 7
- Letter from HMRC telling me client passed away 1,873 26
- What is the reasoning behind HMRC letter re high income child benefit charge? 230 8
- Goodwill Valuation Prior to April 2002, with the intention of selling on due to personal changes 457 13
- Your fondest calculator memories 853 32
- Capital or revenue expense? 174 2
- Residents Association Corp Tax 256 11
- Vat threshold issues 349 9
- Do I charge VAT for event I held in Paris 167 4
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 688 13
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 332 6
- PAYE Refund Farce At HMRC 826 12
- How much to charge for Ltd company accounts ? 725 15
- Can a director pay for their childs tuition through the company 869 18
- Who can I refer leads to? 503 11
- Quickbooks Online stock 36 1
- What is the best practice for running a roofing company in Sage 176 4
- Growing pains 451 8
- Paying Personal Allowance in one go 443 7
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 459
- CTA study material 434
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 307
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 292
- Pre incorp expenses 285
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 249
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 237
- Slight twist on employment related securities 215
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 197
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 186