Property development or property investment?
Some property developers entered the market and spent significant sums of money renovating and developing a property with a view to selling it at a profit. The property is mortgaged.
They were subsequently unable to sell it at a reasonable price due to the housing market decline. To cover the mortgage interest and the other ongoing costs (service charge, ground rent) they let it at a market rent for 6 months. Now the property is vacant they are hoping to sell it and to resume their property development ambitions.
My question is, will HMRC accept they are property developers or will HMRC now insist that the property is treated as an investment for tax purposes? The owners of the property wish the property to be treated as a property development because of the large sum of money they have expended in renovating it which they believe they will lose otherwise.
Any comments or advice welcome.
- VT accounts licence key 169 5
- Weely paid employees 174 2
- Wrong career 331 14
- Splitting the tax year 32 1
- MONEYSOFT - EARLIER YEAR UPDATE 174 5
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 69 1
- FPS Submission 75 2
- PTP software disaster 151 1
- Value pricing 620 20
- non resident receiving UK dividends 192 3
- P11d & Medical Ins 91 1
- vat return 200 1
- Underpaid National Insurance 147 3
- Treatment of EU Purchases on Sage 55 1
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 2,946 31
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 146 3
- Director's tax return 124 2
- reporting salary? 239 5
- Other forums 196 3
- Payroll software : RTI submissions 365 17
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 780
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 533
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 400
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 285
- Free Tax Legislation? 234
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 230
- Director Loan account operation 223
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 221
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 215
- Paye procedures for CVA 153