Property development or property investment?
Some property developers entered the market and spent significant sums of money renovating and developing a property with a view to selling it at a profit. The property is mortgaged.
They were subsequently unable to sell it at a reasonable price due to the housing market decline. To cover the mortgage interest and the other ongoing costs (service charge, ground rent) they let it at a market rent for 6 months. Now the property is vacant they are hoping to sell it and to resume their property development ambitions.
My question is, will HMRC accept they are property developers or will HMRC now insist that the property is treated as an investment for tax purposes? The owners of the property wish the property to be treated as a property development because of the large sum of money they have expended in renovating it which they believe they will lose otherwise.
Any comments or advice welcome.
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 399 4
- Setting up a practice 277 4
- Very large share capital by mistake 423 6
- 24 month rule and expenses 193 1
- Love is in the air 485 6
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 647 17
- Stamp Duty 285 4
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 232 4
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,781 21
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 517 5
- Incorporation of gp practise 208 1
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 258 9
- Auto enrolment confusion 2,018 46
- Client Paperwork Retention? 561 13
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 567 7
- Tax Overlap Reporting 360 4
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 386 9
- Reimbursing director travel costs 444 6
- Allegedly ICAS most of us at 50 should pack up - Interesting 482 8
- Sage 50 VAT Return 298 2
- DTA tie-breaker issue 298
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 284
- CGT for NOn UK residents 278
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 275
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 251
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 238
- Apprenticeship Levy 236
- Capital Gains personal representatives 219
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 219
- Discretionary payment to sick employee 197