Qualified with a UK accounting professional qualification not recognised in Malaysia
I hold a UK recognised accounting qualification for many years. Unfortunately, my qualification is not recognised in Malaysia, my home country.
I was told many times over many years that there are people pursuing the recognition of my qualification but all they kept saying is promises and promising statements but no promises delivered so far.
In the last AGM held by the local alumni for this UK body, there was again promises made that recognition by the national regulatory body will be delivered within three to six months time. Now, one year and almost two months has passed, where is that deservedly recognition? No where in sight.
Last year, a group of probably disgruntled members took up suit case against the regulatory body over the delay in evaluating their qualification for eligibility to sit the qualifying examination of the regulatory body. This group failed. After which was quietness, no appeal.
Of late, there is confirmations handed down by the regulatory body that holders of this recognised UK accounting qualification can sit the qualifying examinations of the regulatory body. This is a chance now for those holding this UK unrecognised qualification in Malaysia.
The question is why is the alumni body or its UK parent body keeping quiet over this acceptance of its qualification by the regulatory body in Malaysia? Don't the parent body in UK like to see its members graduate in Malaysia and become full-fledged accountants rather than retire a slow-suffering frustrated and angry days numbered?
Without membership of the regulatory body in Malaysia, one cannot be called an "accountant" and we are law abiding Malaysian citizens holding that UK recognised accounting qualifications.
What can members alike me do now? Take legal action again? Against the parent body for not showing enough support?
I do share the mindfullness of concerned really helpful people around. There are many who said why not the regulatory body just recognised this qualification when it has met the accounting degree standards of British Universities? This would just solved all the issues surounding it.
Many members of this body is also getting old. We aged daily and we get not to be called "accountants", "financial managers", "financial controllers" or any other term related or associated with "accountant" that could mislead one to believe he is a member of the national regulatory body.
If not for those advise that recognition is coming in the near future, a big number would have left this body and joined the recognised bodies like CIMA, ACCA, etc which would have solved the problems of being unable to be called "accountant" in Malaysia.
Sad sad story to tell.
Professional advise would be much appreciated.
Qualified accountant's distress
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,327 17
- Friday Question 458 7
- New Client works under PAYE but is about to set up own LTD. 365 8
- Client Paperwork Retention? 98 2
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 306 1
- Independent Examination work programme 84 2
- Non reporting RTI - penalties 521 9
- Buy to Let Property! Shell I buy or not? 199 2
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 218 7
- Employers NI allowance 158 2
- What is the best way to buy commercial property these days 271 5
- Auto Enrolment 232 2
- Tax Point as opposed to VAT point 181 2
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 1,910 30
- Anyone else getting these HMRC letters? 1,262 6
- Appeal against penalty- error in SA tax return 196 2
- Outside the scope VAT box 6 245 7
- Swimming Pool Income 348 4
- Coming off flat rate VAT 316 2
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 506 6
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 488
- DTA tie-breaker issue 291
- CGT for NOn UK residents 259
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 240
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 235
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 228
- Apprenticeship Levy 227
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 216
- Just checking re PSA 209
- Capital Gains personal representatives 202