Query - Advice Please
I have just taken on a new client and am having a TFI Friday moment.
Books and records have been passed to me and going through old accountants info I could do with some advice on the following: -
Client has several properties which are rented out and this is only income.
Old accountant has tax return showing self employment and property section completed.
Cant see why but the Balance Sheet of SE shows the properties as WIP with the cost price and improvements made.
Also on Balance Sheet are the mortgage balances.
There was a very small bit of work done on the side in the pvs year, which will not be repeated.
I thought the best way was to just produce a rental income and expenditure account showing income less repairs, insurance, interest, telephone etc. and that be declaredd on the Tax Return.
I presume that the old accountant has done the P&L and B/S which shows expenses on and a loss each year so that when the property
is sold they offset this against the profit and bring in the WIP as a cost of sale.
I thought you just completed the CGT section when selling a property.
Any pointers or advice on this would be helpful.
I am going home for a bottle of wine now.......hopefully the Friday head ache will have gone by Monday and I can look at this again.
Have a good weekend everyone and cheers
- VAT Exemptions for Dance Education 88 1
- Keeping disastrous accounts 270 4
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,858 74
- In pratice using part time accountants 227 3
- Payments on account 62 1
- On the high seas 76 1
- Entrepreneurs Relief Shares Received as Part of Divorce Settlement 123 2
- OMG HMRC !!!! Employ some ppl!! 542 11
- RTI Payroll ID 967 22
- Spousal transfer and PPR 841 34
- Payroll question 111 2
- Where has Portia gone? 4,798 106
- Moneysoft or Sage payroll with auto enrolment? 252 5
- Warning - "Central Register of Companies" con 198 3
- Overlap profit 233 4
- Goodwill On Incorporation 128 1
- CT600 for first year UK company trading abroad 177 13
- Can i reclaim tax if my fuel cost more than the AFR in a company car 339 5
- micro entity balance sheet query 293 6
- What are other accountants having for lunch? 648 19
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 839
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 439
- Sanzar 335
- How do you do it 329
- Digital marketing focus group 309
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 285
- Bed & Breakfast trade via Limited Company 201
- new investor structure 194
- Fit for purpose 194
- VAT Registration 175