Query - Advice Please
I have just taken on a new client and am having a TFI Friday moment.
Books and records have been passed to me and going through old accountants info I could do with some advice on the following: -
Client has several properties which are rented out and this is only income.
Old accountant has tax return showing self employment and property section completed.
Cant see why but the Balance Sheet of SE shows the properties as WIP with the cost price and improvements made.
Also on Balance Sheet are the mortgage balances.
There was a very small bit of work done on the side in the pvs year, which will not be repeated.
I thought the best way was to just produce a rental income and expenditure account showing income less repairs, insurance, interest, telephone etc. and that be declaredd on the Tax Return.
I presume that the old accountant has done the P&L and B/S which shows expenses on and a loss each year so that when the property
is sold they offset this against the profit and bring in the WIP as a cost of sale.
I thought you just completed the CGT section when selling a property.
Any pointers or advice on this would be helpful.
I am going home for a bottle of wine now.......hopefully the Friday head ache will have gone by Monday and I can look at this again.
Have a good weekend everyone and cheers
- Investment from Friend 160 9
- Self Assessment and P11D 98 4
- Director remuneration £1000 only in year. paye registration required? 328 4
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 620 23
- Company dividends 541 15
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 156 5
- Directors Salary and Self Assessment (PAYE) 62 1
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 899 38
- Tax Penalty overreaction 2,150 15
- Two weeks grace on self assessment where repayment is due? 146 2
- TRONC scheme 102 1
- Advice on letting a client go ? 698 13
- Capital Gains Relief 152 5
- client can't/won't pay 1,606 29
- Identity check problem 1,261 13
- A Director of a Ltd Company let a general Manager run the company, and if anything goes wrong the general manager is responsible? 202 3
- Business Set up cost 109 1
- Aged Debtor 89 1
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 969 34
- Loss carry back in Taxfiler 107 3
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 876
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 575
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 541
- Latest phishing scam 474
- Entrepreneurs' relief 423
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 344
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 320
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 243
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 241
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 166