Query - Advice Please
I have just taken on a new client and am having a TFI Friday moment.
Books and records have been passed to me and going through old accountants info I could do with some advice on the following: -
Client has several properties which are rented out and this is only income.
Old accountant has tax return showing self employment and property section completed.
Cant see why but the Balance Sheet of SE shows the properties as WIP with the cost price and improvements made.
Also on Balance Sheet are the mortgage balances.
There was a very small bit of work done on the side in the pvs year, which will not be repeated.
I thought the best way was to just produce a rental income and expenditure account showing income less repairs, insurance, interest, telephone etc. and that be declaredd on the Tax Return.
I presume that the old accountant has done the P&L and B/S which shows expenses on and a loss each year so that when the property
is sold they offset this against the profit and bring in the WIP as a cost of sale.
I thought you just completed the CGT section when selling a property.
Any pointers or advice on this would be helpful.
I am going home for a bottle of wine now.......hopefully the Friday head ache will have gone by Monday and I can look at this again.
Have a good weekend everyone and cheers
- Holding Company - Ltd or PLC? 256 3
- Cocaine anyone? 102 2
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,461 21
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 810 25
- ACCA - still making me laugh 437 3
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 244 1
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 315 11
- Tax return software for remote working 467 4
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 521 9
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 432 9
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 444 9
- How to purchase business premises? 156 2
- Will I need to resign? 815 10
- Childcare vouchers 171 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 273 5
- Management Company Setup Structure as Limited Company 299 6
- VAT avoidance? 231 4
- Can S455 tax repaid 186 3
- PAYE coding out 191 3
- Follower cases 575 2
- Hive up 470
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 438
- corporate hierarchy 416
- Advice - 247
- Amortisation of Goodwill 218
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 206
- WWOOFers 201
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 186
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 181
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 178