Query - Advice Please
I have just taken on a new client and am having a TFI Friday moment.
Books and records have been passed to me and going through old accountants info I could do with some advice on the following: -
Client has several properties which are rented out and this is only income.
Old accountant has tax return showing self employment and property section completed.
Cant see why but the Balance Sheet of SE shows the properties as WIP with the cost price and improvements made.
Also on Balance Sheet are the mortgage balances.
There was a very small bit of work done on the side in the pvs year, which will not be repeated.
I thought the best way was to just produce a rental income and expenditure account showing income less repairs, insurance, interest, telephone etc. and that be declaredd on the Tax Return.
I presume that the old accountant has done the P&L and B/S which shows expenses on and a loss each year so that when the property
is sold they offset this against the profit and bring in the WIP as a cost of sale.
I thought you just completed the CGT section when selling a property.
Any pointers or advice on this would be helpful.
I am going home for a bottle of wine now.......hopefully the Friday head ache will have gone by Monday and I can look at this again.
Have a good weekend everyone and cheers
- New supplier 29 2
- Awkward IP 1,424 15
- Sage 50 cost centre limitations 37 2
- Capital allowances on a 3G Pitch 192 12
- Audit 339 9
- Buying a horse?? 249 9
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 200 4
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,081 12
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 960 11
- What's in a name ? 1,124 9
- Vodaphone Share Scheme 216 2
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 789 20
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 496 7
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 635 18
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 778 22
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 1,118 12
- LLP members transfer to limited companies. 140 1
- carry back of gift aid 195 3
- Employee to move to Isle of Man 311 8
- Negligible value - JJB Sports 264 1
- CTA study material 791
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 487
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 437
- Employment related securities question 314
- AIM Stocks and IHT 293
- Expat pension contributions? 272
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 271
- Trust for Employee 249
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 210
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 154