Query - Advice Please
I have just taken on a new client and am having a TFI Friday moment.
Books and records have been passed to me and going through old accountants info I could do with some advice on the following: -
Client has several properties which are rented out and this is only income.
Old accountant has tax return showing self employment and property section completed.
Cant see why but the Balance Sheet of SE shows the properties as WIP with the cost price and improvements made.
Also on Balance Sheet are the mortgage balances.
There was a very small bit of work done on the side in the pvs year, which will not be repeated.
I thought the best way was to just produce a rental income and expenditure account showing income less repairs, insurance, interest, telephone etc. and that be declaredd on the Tax Return.
I presume that the old accountant has done the P&L and B/S which shows expenses on and a loss each year so that when the property
is sold they offset this against the profit and bring in the WIP as a cost of sale.
I thought you just completed the CGT section when selling a property.
Any pointers or advice on this would be helpful.
I am going home for a bottle of wine now.......hopefully the Friday head ache will have gone by Monday and I can look at this again.
Have a good weekend everyone and cheers
- Auto Enrolment - Again I assume 1,335 14
- Companies House iphone app - alternatives? 136 2
- Retained Earnings - loss 188 10
- Network marketing client - how does it work? 121 5
- A very basic T9 or T0 Question... 68 2
- break even point 824 23
- Fees for dealing with auto-enrolment 395 3
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 637 19
- National Insurance Contributions 186 4
- VAT for Small Property Development Company 158 6
- HMRC Getting Extra Tough? 1,096 9
- Limited Company trading status. 76 1
- ANIMAL ADOPTION SCHEME 170 1
- Dividends 130 1
- When should i raise VAT invoice after pro-forma payment received? 393 11
- Easy way to de-register as employer? 204 2
- Failure to operate PAYE 1,389 28
- Classic cars investment 407 11
- NI Contributions in order to claim state pension 235 4
- Lack of Quickbooks Online Coverage 286 4
- Possible Partnership? 491
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 464
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 454
- New Fangled Penalties 281
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 248
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 246
- Clubs and Taxable Income 245
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 237
- Loans to other companies 185
- Tasbook email configuration 175