Query - Advice Please
I have just taken on a new client and am having a TFI Friday moment.
Books and records have been passed to me and going through old accountants info I could do with some advice on the following: -
Client has several properties which are rented out and this is only income.
Old accountant has tax return showing self employment and property section completed.
Cant see why but the Balance Sheet of SE shows the properties as WIP with the cost price and improvements made.
Also on Balance Sheet are the mortgage balances.
There was a very small bit of work done on the side in the pvs year, which will not be repeated.
I thought the best way was to just produce a rental income and expenditure account showing income less repairs, insurance, interest, telephone etc. and that be declaredd on the Tax Return.
I presume that the old accountant has done the P&L and B/S which shows expenses on and a loss each year so that when the property
is sold they offset this against the profit and bring in the WIP as a cost of sale.
I thought you just completed the CGT section when selling a property.
Any pointers or advice on this would be helpful.
I am going home for a bottle of wine now.......hopefully the Friday head ache will have gone by Monday and I can look at this again.
Have a good weekend everyone and cheers
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 175 3
- FPS or EPS 40 1
- What do you all do in your spare time? 754 31
- Personal allowance 655 15
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 150 2
- I have let a client go as it wasnt worth the hassle, 1,908 16
- Does Members voluntary liquidation require change of year end 110 2
- Google contacts sharing within our domain 425 6
- New Fangled Penalties 1,108 1
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 297 3
- New client has not reported director's pay by RTI 382 10
- VAT on employee loan 300 5
- Taking over from an on-line accounting firm. Any ideas? 957 18
- Charging VAT on a company loan ?. 164 2
- Accountants website 395 5
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 175 5
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 490 8
- Threshold company limited by guarantee. 109 1
- Retrospective VAT Claim 124 1
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,419 20
- Moving away from CCH software 941
- QROP pension input amounts 434
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 376
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 351
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 315
- fraud 274
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 244
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 216
- Construction CIS LLP Company 202
- EPS and CIS deductions 189