Query - Advice Please
I have just taken on a new client and am having a TFI Friday moment.
Books and records have been passed to me and going through old accountants info I could do with some advice on the following: -
Client has several properties which are rented out and this is only income.
Old accountant has tax return showing self employment and property section completed.
Cant see why but the Balance Sheet of SE shows the properties as WIP with the cost price and improvements made.
Also on Balance Sheet are the mortgage balances.
There was a very small bit of work done on the side in the pvs year, which will not be repeated.
I thought the best way was to just produce a rental income and expenditure account showing income less repairs, insurance, interest, telephone etc. and that be declaredd on the Tax Return.
I presume that the old accountant has done the P&L and B/S which shows expenses on and a loss each year so that when the property
is sold they offset this against the profit and bring in the WIP as a cost of sale.
I thought you just completed the CGT section when selling a property.
Any pointers or advice on this would be helpful.
I am going home for a bottle of wine now.......hopefully the Friday head ache will have gone by Monday and I can look at this again.
Have a good weekend everyone and cheers
- SA302 359 8
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 458 6
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 394 8
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 428 5
- Anyone Heard of This Outfit? 371 2
- Tax Return Member LLP 183 2
- Purchase of shares and goodwill 194 5
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,510 41
- Directors Remunerations and Employees on CT600 138 1
- How can I tell what returns are outstanding on HMRC online? 245 3
- Practice management - that old chestnut....... 1,246 19
- Go Cardless 398 10
- Self assessment tax arrears 356 3
- Mehjoo 347 2
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 204 4
- US Employment Income - Double Tax Treaty 302 13
- Bringing money to Uk 310 4
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 227 4
- Hmrc software 276 3
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 228 1
- Xtuple 527
- Qtac payroll for bureau 359
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 303
- Industrial & Provident Societies 296
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 241
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 219
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 219
- Domain name sale and limited company 186
- CIS schemes 183
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 161