Query - Advice Please
I have just taken on a new client and am having a TFI Friday moment.
Books and records have been passed to me and going through old accountants info I could do with some advice on the following: -
Client has several properties which are rented out and this is only income.
Old accountant has tax return showing self employment and property section completed.
Cant see why but the Balance Sheet of SE shows the properties as WIP with the cost price and improvements made.
Also on Balance Sheet are the mortgage balances.
There was a very small bit of work done on the side in the pvs year, which will not be repeated.
I thought the best way was to just produce a rental income and expenditure account showing income less repairs, insurance, interest, telephone etc. and that be declaredd on the Tax Return.
I presume that the old accountant has done the P&L and B/S which shows expenses on and a loss each year so that when the property
is sold they offset this against the profit and bring in the WIP as a cost of sale.
I thought you just completed the CGT section when selling a property.
Any pointers or advice on this would be helpful.
I am going home for a bottle of wine now.......hopefully the Friday head ache will have gone by Monday and I can look at this again.
Have a good weekend everyone and cheers
- Can I claim Vat on solicitors invoices? 48 3
- The stupidity continues 520 21
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 498 10
- Offsetting CT losses against another company 185 6
- Calculating capital gains tax for non-residents UK residential property 100 1
- transactions after account have been closed 124 3
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,323 25
- New Employers Helpline 190 4
- Limited company director - other earnings in the tax year 197 3
- Software recommendations 260 1
- Share transfer question 370 17
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 310 7
- qualifying for 1/9th tax credit on foreign dividend 170 2
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,421 19
- Overlap relief 753 19
- What is IRIS World like? 358 8
- Pension contributions 372 10
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 496 11
- Do you use sign up lists on your website 188 1
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 273 8
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 437
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 433
- WIP Software 297
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 290
- No payroll scheme in place 232
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 228
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 205
- Is there anything wrong with this? 199
- Small Part Disposal of Property 184
- Uncommercial property business 176