Query - Advice Please
I have just taken on a new client and am having a TFI Friday moment.
Books and records have been passed to me and going through old accountants info I could do with some advice on the following: -
Client has several properties which are rented out and this is only income.
Old accountant has tax return showing self employment and property section completed.
Cant see why but the Balance Sheet of SE shows the properties as WIP with the cost price and improvements made.
Also on Balance Sheet are the mortgage balances.
There was a very small bit of work done on the side in the pvs year, which will not be repeated.
I thought the best way was to just produce a rental income and expenditure account showing income less repairs, insurance, interest, telephone etc. and that be declaredd on the Tax Return.
I presume that the old accountant has done the P&L and B/S which shows expenses on and a loss each year so that when the property
is sold they offset this against the profit and bring in the WIP as a cost of sale.
I thought you just completed the CGT section when selling a property.
Any pointers or advice on this would be helpful.
I am going home for a bottle of wine now.......hopefully the Friday head ache will have gone by Monday and I can look at this again.
Have a good weekend everyone and cheers
- HMRC Information notice 956 24
- Recommendations for online payroll software 236 3
- Accountant Specialization. 336 5
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 180 3
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 108 1
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,285 29
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,707 42
- Sage Line 50 153 3
- Off topic slightly - any football fans out there? 128 1
- Can my company contibute more than 40000 to my pension in a tax year? 405 6
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 381 7
- Seafarer's Earnings Deduction 150 1
- Freelance/Employee 690 17
- Rectify overpaid childcare vouchers, how? 184 2
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 189 6
- Claiming VAT on car lease 499 27
- Capital Gains Tax on property with multiple uses 130 1
- Returning papers to ex-clients 616 7
- How to network with other Accountants? 719 5
- Agent Authorisation Issue 224 2
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 750
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 409
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 362
- Electric Car 294
- S222 Charge 242
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 197
- IP trans to holding company 191
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 177
- AIA 171
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 171