Query - Advice Please
I have just taken on a new client and am having a TFI Friday moment.
Books and records have been passed to me and going through old accountants info I could do with some advice on the following: -
Client has several properties which are rented out and this is only income.
Old accountant has tax return showing self employment and property section completed.
Cant see why but the Balance Sheet of SE shows the properties as WIP with the cost price and improvements made.
Also on Balance Sheet are the mortgage balances.
There was a very small bit of work done on the side in the pvs year, which will not be repeated.
I thought the best way was to just produce a rental income and expenditure account showing income less repairs, insurance, interest, telephone etc. and that be declaredd on the Tax Return.
I presume that the old accountant has done the P&L and B/S which shows expenses on and a loss each year so that when the property
is sold they offset this against the profit and bring in the WIP as a cost of sale.
I thought you just completed the CGT section when selling a property.
Any pointers or advice on this would be helpful.
I am going home for a bottle of wine now.......hopefully the Friday head ache will have gone by Monday and I can look at this again.
Have a good weekend everyone and cheers
- Awkward insolvency practitioner 546 5
- 27,000 Really? 1,059 33
- Legal title not in the company name 768 23
- FRS12 Redundancy and notice period provision 65 1
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 74 1
- This is getting boring 586 12
- Using profits from Ltd company as start up funds for new venture 234 7
- pension paid by company? 91 3
- inheritance tax 400 12
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 327 9
- Sage 50 re-key - VAT problem 221 4
- State pension 290 3
- Accountancy Career 113 1
- CIC Company 655 13
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,817 22
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,276 66
- Deduction from Salary 641 15
- Bank account of a different company being used for transactions. 432 5
- Group Audit Thresholds 352 10
- One off meeting new client 1,690 16
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 639
- Cancelled 393
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 353
- Cancelled 334
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 307
- Probiz 301
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 278
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 258
- How not to compose an email 250
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 221