Query - Advice Please
I have just taken on a new client and am having a TFI Friday moment.
Books and records have been passed to me and going through old accountants info I could do with some advice on the following: -
Client has several properties which are rented out and this is only income.
Old accountant has tax return showing self employment and property section completed.
Cant see why but the Balance Sheet of SE shows the properties as WIP with the cost price and improvements made.
Also on Balance Sheet are the mortgage balances.
There was a very small bit of work done on the side in the pvs year, which will not be repeated.
I thought the best way was to just produce a rental income and expenditure account showing income less repairs, insurance, interest, telephone etc. and that be declaredd on the Tax Return.
I presume that the old accountant has done the P&L and B/S which shows expenses on and a loss each year so that when the property
is sold they offset this against the profit and bring in the WIP as a cost of sale.
I thought you just completed the CGT section when selling a property.
Any pointers or advice on this would be helpful.
I am going home for a bottle of wine now.......hopefully the Friday head ache will have gone by Monday and I can look at this again.
Have a good weekend everyone and cheers
- Accounting Crew 402 9
- How often do you guys market your services. 666 9
- Overdue VAT returns 226 5
- What should I charge for unlimited advice and support ? 341 7
- Mathematical conundrum on loan repayments 405 4
- Charges for completing a PAYE Settlement Agreement 362 2
- Benchmark scale rates for subsistance 160 2
- Builder - Roll over relief 303 14
- What's the plural? 410 8
- PII and previous accountant 400 8
- Self Employed travel 253 5
- Processing RTI whilst on holiday 2,705 43
- Use of aliases 566 15
- xbrl accounts and HMRC template help 552 11
- Alphabet Shares - tax implications? 1,488 8
- DISCOUNTED RENT FREE PERIOD 167 2
- VAT - Quidco Cash-back 240 3
- Subsidiary or New Company? 113 2
- Splitting hairs with a national firm 373 3
- VAT on Import goods 159 4
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 564
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 417
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 318
- IFA incorporation 291
- Mortgage interest claim on Buy to let hic up 278
- Can the receivers fees be allowed for tax? 274
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 241
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 230
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 210
- Life assurance gains anomoly?? 195