Query - Advice Please
I have just taken on a new client and am having a TFI Friday moment.
Books and records have been passed to me and going through old accountants info I could do with some advice on the following: -
Client has several properties which are rented out and this is only income.
Old accountant has tax return showing self employment and property section completed.
Cant see why but the Balance Sheet of SE shows the properties as WIP with the cost price and improvements made.
Also on Balance Sheet are the mortgage balances.
There was a very small bit of work done on the side in the pvs year, which will not be repeated.
I thought the best way was to just produce a rental income and expenditure account showing income less repairs, insurance, interest, telephone etc. and that be declaredd on the Tax Return.
I presume that the old accountant has done the P&L and B/S which shows expenses on and a loss each year so that when the property
is sold they offset this against the profit and bring in the WIP as a cost of sale.
I thought you just completed the CGT section when selling a property.
Any pointers or advice on this would be helpful.
I am going home for a bottle of wine now.......hopefully the Friday head ache will have gone by Monday and I can look at this again.
Have a good weekend everyone and cheers
- Benefit of my ACCA membership to my Non Qualified Employer 325 5
- Does Freeholder have to be director of our RTM Company? 83 4
- Growing pains 217 3
- Unfurnished properties allowable replacement expenditure 81 2
- How to change credit note allocation in Sage 107 3
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 662 28
- Capital or revenue expense? 42 1
- Capital or revenue expense? 57 1
- VAT on land sale 264 8
- Letter from HMRC telling me client passed away 1,740 25
- NOMINAL CODES 140 2
- Any Need to Formally "Sack" Client Company? 514 8
- Gift to employee 175 3
- Easiest and quickest way to reopen dissolved company, for the purposes of having access to funds in the bank account. 365 10
- Who can I refer leads to? 425 9
- Can Directors be removed without consequence? 191 3
- Residents Association Corp Tax 134 3
- UK company to be a foreign entity 99 1
- Owner/Director consultant plus employment elsewhere 142 4
- Anyone use Xero for estate agent clients? 170 3
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 439
- CTA study material 398
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 296
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 268
- Pre incorp expenses 256
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 232
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 224
- Slight twist on employment related securities 201
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 165
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 151