Query - Advice Please
I have just taken on a new client and am having a TFI Friday moment.
Books and records have been passed to me and going through old accountants info I could do with some advice on the following: -
Client has several properties which are rented out and this is only income.
Old accountant has tax return showing self employment and property section completed.
Cant see why but the Balance Sheet of SE shows the properties as WIP with the cost price and improvements made.
Also on Balance Sheet are the mortgage balances.
There was a very small bit of work done on the side in the pvs year, which will not be repeated.
I thought the best way was to just produce a rental income and expenditure account showing income less repairs, insurance, interest, telephone etc. and that be declaredd on the Tax Return.
I presume that the old accountant has done the P&L and B/S which shows expenses on and a loss each year so that when the property
is sold they offset this against the profit and bring in the WIP as a cost of sale.
I thought you just completed the CGT section when selling a property.
Any pointers or advice on this would be helpful.
I am going home for a bottle of wine now.......hopefully the Friday head ache will have gone by Monday and I can look at this again.
Have a good weekend everyone and cheers
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 382 5
- See you all on the other side 574 6
- 12Pay 288 2
- dividends 373 2
- R&D 221 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,088 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 372 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 280 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 242 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 470 5
- Seeking a tax case 515 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 375 4
- Companies house strike off 349 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 274 2
- Moving to the cloud 681 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 191 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 819 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 180 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,050 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 424 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 535
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 406
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 359
- IRIS and FRS 102 341
- Capitalising Finance Lease 303
- USA help 299
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 270
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 261
- Capital gains on rental property 244
- Sage Coretime 225