£100 late filing penalty (2011) cancelled
This relates to the £100 late filing penalty notice for 2011 tax return. One of our client called up HMRC and informed that he ceased to trade during 2010/11. On this basis it appears that HMRC cancelled the penalty and treated the return as having been submitted on the same date. Subsequently we received the confirmation letter from HMRC. This came as a surprise to us because in the past, if a return was issued, it had to be submitted regardless of whether it should have been issued or not.
We spoke to HMRC’s helpline and they informed us that with the new penalty rules effective from Apr 2011, they have taken a lenient approach this year as this is the first year under the new late filing penalty rules and also due to the present economic climate where a lot of business have closed down the cost of pursuing penalties outweighs the benefits. They advised that the provision of this type of lenient treatment is not a new regulation but provisions were already included in FA2009. The person on the helpline could not pinpoint the location but said it was there. Is anybody aware of the provision in the Act or HMRC manuals where it is mentioned? If so, I will be pleased to receive the link.
I would also be interested to learn if other practitioners are receiving similar letters from the tax office.
- Family Partnership 248 7
- Rollover relief - No new asset purchased 315 5
- Can I prepare dormant accounts? 116 2
- Problems viewing AWeb posts 101 3
- How do you integrate prepaid expenses in to the cash conversion cycle? 56 2
- Does anyone have an old version of Sage for sale? 167 4
- flat rate scheme 2,325 47
- Signed accounts for bank 641 14
- What route into accountancy would you recommend? 831 12
- Business lending another business money (UK) 292 7
- Deferring dividends on paper 170 5
- VAT Query on new build 105 1
- Restriction of trading loss and overlap relief 140 1
- CIC Abbreviated Accounts 146 4
- How to format Co-operative Accounts 93 1
- P11D Car Value 259 6
- NOVA declaration 104 1
- Business valuation advice 709 18
- Auto enrolment: What’s your plan? 1,508 16
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 1,227 23