1st non-paying client. Can anyone help?
Together with my partner we have been trading for just over a year and everything has been great.
We then get a client who hasn't done any bookkeeping, payroll, returns at all since December 2008. We agree to take on the work as the client has all of the paperwork.
We complete the 1st year and send the client an invoice, we move onto the second and complete that. We send the client another invoice and receive a chq by return. The chq bounces. During this time, we are working on year 3.
The client sent another rubber cheque.
We have now completed all 3 years, bringing year 3 slap bang up to date, payroll and VAT. The client says they are waiting on a customer paying them and definately will pay.
With the state of the paperwork, trod on, ripped, coffee stained faded etc, we spent over 60 hours on this and now can't seem to get paid. The client is adament they are good for the money, just not yet.
The client is also asking for their paperwork back. My partner wants to hold onto the paperwork but I disagree with her.
Does anyone know if we can legally hold onto the clients paperwork until they clear their account.
- Error or mistake claims (as was) 88 1
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 797 17
- Partnership profit share - tax efficient for husband and wife 156 3
- Property scam victim 315 5
- Capital Gains on Inherited Property 255 9
- Has anyone been told of the extra Sage Payroll fees for auto enrolment? 238 6
- How to use importing procedure for Transfers between the bank accounts 51 1
- Have i messed up? 746 11
- VAT on garage rent 127 8
- Are HMRC getting it right? 423 8
- 10 year debentures and CT 52 1
- Is there a legal obligation for the Inspector to hand over minutes of a meeting 100 2
- Tasks for new trainees 147 3
- Obvious Question but if NOT registered for VAT EU refunds as under minimum amounts, what does an expense get recorded as for UK VAT return? 69 1
- COMPANY DIRECTOR 69 1
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 563 15
- Offshore insurance bonds 105 2
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,647 46
- Tax Returns, 2011-2012 259 6
- Aggressive HMRC 1,811 19
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,092
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 575
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 383
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 288
- Charge out rates in London? 242
- Interest on Loan to a Company 189
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 174
- Agent fees to sell business 163
- Alphabet shares 160
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 154