£2,000 Employer NI Allowance & Company Control
Hi, I am trying to figure out if a director has control of 2 different companies which means he could not claim the £2000 employer allowance for both companies:
Director X has a 50% shareholding with his wife who is also director holding the other 50%. At the start of the tax year Director X had made a slightly larger loan to the company than his wife director. Only £50 more but even so still larger. As Director X owns 50% and has given a larger loan I think this would mean he has control of the company.
Director X has a 50% shareholding with director Z who also holds 50%. This is not a relative. At the start of the tax year Director X had made a slightly larger loan to the company than the other director. Only very small again but still larger than the other director. As Director X owns 50% and has given a larger loan I think this would mean he has control of the company.
1. Do people agree with me that Director X would be classed as having control of both the above companies as he has a 50% share and has made a bigger loan to the company (Albeit a tiny amount more). And therefore because of this he can only claim Employment Allowance in one of the companies?
2. For next tax year in Company A. If the director makes sure his loan is the same size as his wife's, and therefore did not control the company, I assume he could claim employer allowance in both companies? I do not think I need to add his and his wife's shareholding together to give him control as the other director in company B is not a relative.
Thank you for any advice anyone may provide. It would be really appreciated.
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 45 1
- LTD home office - would HMRC seek to disallow 1,260 8
- RTI and corrections to payroll 1,234 13
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 976 29
- You know its over 375 4
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 506 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 246 13
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 196 2
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 181 2
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 289 3
- Cocaine anyone? 531 8
- Late Registration for VAT 500 13
- EIS/SEIS 158 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 285 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 435 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 434 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 734 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 566 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 602 4
- Personal pension 408 9
- Hive up 497
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 465
- corporate hierarchy 447
- Advice - 278
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 230
- WWOOFers 224
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 212
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 208
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 187
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 181