£2,000 Employer NI Allowance & Company Control
Hi, I am trying to figure out if a director has control of 2 different companies which means he could not claim the £2000 employer allowance for both companies:
Director X has a 50% shareholding with his wife who is also director holding the other 50%. At the start of the tax year Director X had made a slightly larger loan to the company than his wife director. Only £50 more but even so still larger. As Director X owns 50% and has given a larger loan I think this would mean he has control of the company.
Director X has a 50% shareholding with director Z who also holds 50%. This is not a relative. At the start of the tax year Director X had made a slightly larger loan to the company than the other director. Only very small again but still larger than the other director. As Director X owns 50% and has given a larger loan I think this would mean he has control of the company.
1. Do people agree with me that Director X would be classed as having control of both the above companies as he has a 50% share and has made a bigger loan to the company (Albeit a tiny amount more). And therefore because of this he can only claim Employment Allowance in one of the companies?
2. For next tax year in Company A. If the director makes sure his loan is the same size as his wife's, and therefore did not control the company, I assume he could claim employer allowance in both companies? I do not think I need to add his and his wife's shareholding together to give him control as the other director in company B is not a relative.
Thank you for any advice anyone may provide. It would be really appreciated.
- Need some help on importing procedures and VAT 59 1
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,434 21
- New ACCOUNTINGQUESTIONS website launching 61 1
- JUDGE FRAUD ALERT 66 2
- I have let a client go as it wasnt worth the hassle, 2,035 19
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 380 6
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 121 1
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 191 3
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 107 1
- FPS or EPS 131 2
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 258 3
- Continuity of Practice 189 2
- IRIS Professional Yearend 121 2
- Letting Agents - requirement for audit of clients accounts 310 10
- Scams are not always obvious 2,208 34
- Financial statements accounting policies 243 5
- Does Members voluntary liquidation require change of year end 160 3
- Market Value/Connected Persons 294 10
- Online Downtime 336 4
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 331 3
- Moving away from CCH software 948
- QROP pension input amounts 437
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 380
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 355
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 323
- fraud 283
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 252
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 222
- Construction CIS LLP Company 210
- EPS and CIS deductions 196