£2,000 Employer NI Allowance & Company Control
Hi, I am trying to figure out if a director has control of 2 different companies which means he could not claim the £2000 employer allowance for both companies:
Director X has a 50% shareholding with his wife who is also director holding the other 50%. At the start of the tax year Director X had made a slightly larger loan to the company than his wife director. Only £50 more but even so still larger. As Director X owns 50% and has given a larger loan I think this would mean he has control of the company.
Director X has a 50% shareholding with director Z who also holds 50%. This is not a relative. At the start of the tax year Director X had made a slightly larger loan to the company than the other director. Only very small again but still larger than the other director. As Director X owns 50% and has given a larger loan I think this would mean he has control of the company.
1. Do people agree with me that Director X would be classed as having control of both the above companies as he has a 50% share and has made a bigger loan to the company (Albeit a tiny amount more). And therefore because of this he can only claim Employment Allowance in one of the companies?
2. For next tax year in Company A. If the director makes sure his loan is the same size as his wife's, and therefore did not control the company, I assume he could claim employer allowance in both companies? I do not think I need to add his and his wife's shareholding together to give him control as the other director in company B is not a relative.
Thank you for any advice anyone may provide. It would be really appreciated.
- Limited company buying a car 333 6
- Funding Circle experience 121 3
- What font do you prefer to use for correspondence? 220 10
- Excel query 70 2
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,248 13
- Payment on account penalties 86 3
- Tax on free shares 120 5
- Flat Rate Vat 14.5% and 5% reduced rate VAT 189 3
- Capital allowances on sale and puchase of business assets 115 1
- Audit 473 14
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 393 8
- PPR relief and half hectare rule 117 3
- Buying a horse?? 405 12
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 186 2
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 761 21
- PITA ex-client 248 9
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 247 6
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 361 9
- Can I contribute to SIPP if I pay no salary/dividend from ltd company 326 5
- How to complain about HMRC 1,668 19
- CTA study material 801
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 492
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 456
- Employment related securities question 320
- AIM Stocks and IHT 307
- Expat pension contributions? 280
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 276
- Trust for Employee 255
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 223
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 158