£2,000 Employer NI Allowance & Company Control
Hi, I am trying to figure out if a director has control of 2 different companies which means he could not claim the £2000 employer allowance for both companies:
Director X has a 50% shareholding with his wife who is also director holding the other 50%. At the start of the tax year Director X had made a slightly larger loan to the company than his wife director. Only £50 more but even so still larger. As Director X owns 50% and has given a larger loan I think this would mean he has control of the company.
Director X has a 50% shareholding with director Z who also holds 50%. This is not a relative. At the start of the tax year Director X had made a slightly larger loan to the company than the other director. Only very small again but still larger than the other director. As Director X owns 50% and has given a larger loan I think this would mean he has control of the company.
1. Do people agree with me that Director X would be classed as having control of both the above companies as he has a 50% share and has made a bigger loan to the company (Albeit a tiny amount more). And therefore because of this he can only claim Employment Allowance in one of the companies?
2. For next tax year in Company A. If the director makes sure his loan is the same size as his wife's, and therefore did not control the company, I assume he could claim employer allowance in both companies? I do not think I need to add his and his wife's shareholding together to give him control as the other director in company B is not a relative.
Thank you for any advice anyone may provide. It would be really appreciated.
- Payroll experience for beginning AAT student 104 1
- Providing registered office address to clients 78 1
- Share premium or Directors Loan 757 31
- Enquiry into tax return - how co-operative would you be? 386 8
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,437 47
- Interest on HMRC contract settlement 180 3
- Goodwill gesture for providing work 462 12
- VAT reconciliation and VAT return on Sage 133 3
- What would you do in this situation? 200 5
- Filing a P87 (professional fees) before year end. 150 2
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 622 13
- More HMRC on gov.uk 653 11
- Rollover relief - when does gain crystallise in this situation? 108 1
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 351 14
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 253 4
- Research and development - repayment timescale 225 5
- Sole trader hid directorships. 421 6
- NOVA 559 1
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 286 10
- Regional Development Grant 136 4
- Bonus Bonds 396
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 386
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 298
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 262
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 193
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 191
- Company Car Lease 164
- Finance Lease 159
- Form 42 153
- Demerger Reserve 134