£2,000 Employer NI Allowance & Company Control
Hi, I am trying to figure out if a director has control of 2 different companies which means he could not claim the £2000 employer allowance for both companies:
Director X has a 50% shareholding with his wife who is also director holding the other 50%. At the start of the tax year Director X had made a slightly larger loan to the company than his wife director. Only £50 more but even so still larger. As Director X owns 50% and has given a larger loan I think this would mean he has control of the company.
Director X has a 50% shareholding with director Z who also holds 50%. This is not a relative. At the start of the tax year Director X had made a slightly larger loan to the company than the other director. Only very small again but still larger than the other director. As Director X owns 50% and has given a larger loan I think this would mean he has control of the company.
1. Do people agree with me that Director X would be classed as having control of both the above companies as he has a 50% share and has made a bigger loan to the company (Albeit a tiny amount more). And therefore because of this he can only claim Employment Allowance in one of the companies?
2. For next tax year in Company A. If the director makes sure his loan is the same size as his wife's, and therefore did not control the company, I assume he could claim employer allowance in both companies? I do not think I need to add his and his wife's shareholding together to give him control as the other director in company B is not a relative.
Thank you for any advice anyone may provide. It would be really appreciated.
- Class 2 NIC 197 4
- Bookkeeping Rate of Pay 2,818 42
- Account and Taxable Profit 188 12
- Accounting for corporation tax 99 4
- Invoices raised after company dissolution 227 7
- Community Faux Pas 900 26
- Cash gift from India 59 1
- Is cloud accounting actually pretty pants? 2,292 40
- Windows10 126 4
- Taxi Drivers Cost of Sale 607 24
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,669 36
- Is self-employment "another job" for PAYE 306 6
- Digita Accounts Production Advanced - general perception 459 25
- A thursday afternoon muse 189 2
- Barrister "M25 Patch"? 373 6
- Probate services 404 8
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 863 5
- Unusual marketing methods for accountants 778 14
- An IT question 277 6
- Private doctors - Ltd company vs partnership 325 9
- ACCA Shenanigans subject of EDM 835
- Benchmark accounting software 691
- Members in Public Practice 515
- Sole trader registering for the first time 326
- Oplex Careers CPD 321
- What are HMRC implying? 294
- VAT 257
- My own & spouse's Irish returns & ROS 244
- Payroll manager and the cloud 215
- Is the APN valid 196