£2,000 Employer NI Allowance & Company Control
Hi, I am trying to figure out if a director has control of 2 different companies which means he could not claim the £2000 employer allowance for both companies:
Director X has a 50% shareholding with his wife who is also director holding the other 50%. At the start of the tax year Director X had made a slightly larger loan to the company than his wife director. Only £50 more but even so still larger. As Director X owns 50% and has given a larger loan I think this would mean he has control of the company.
Director X has a 50% shareholding with director Z who also holds 50%. This is not a relative. At the start of the tax year Director X had made a slightly larger loan to the company than the other director. Only very small again but still larger than the other director. As Director X owns 50% and has given a larger loan I think this would mean he has control of the company.
1. Do people agree with me that Director X would be classed as having control of both the above companies as he has a 50% share and has made a bigger loan to the company (Albeit a tiny amount more). And therefore because of this he can only claim Employment Allowance in one of the companies?
2. For next tax year in Company A. If the director makes sure his loan is the same size as his wife's, and therefore did not control the company, I assume he could claim employer allowance in both companies? I do not think I need to add his and his wife's shareholding together to give him control as the other director in company B is not a relative.
Thank you for any advice anyone may provide. It would be really appreciated.
- How to complete annual VAT return online? 21 1
- I had a baby! Small practice recruitment - where would you look? 545 7
- Travel expenses 430 16
- Any Scottish members out there? 4,454 142
- Reclaim vat on invoice 170 3
- What's your best practice shortcut or 'hack'? 1,104 29
- Shadow director or alternative? 255 3
- Computerised Accountancy Software 280 1
- FRS VAT bad debt relief? 495 13
- Bankruptcy 428 10
- P11d Van - no private use 436 12
- Expanding To UK From USA 149 2
- How do I account for trees?! 283 1
- Foreign Dividends - tax repayment claim 503 17
- German VAT charged by US Supplier 237 5
- Abbreviated Accounts 348 4
- Accountancy fee tax return 580 6
- Employee who reports their PAYE themselves to HMRC - Am i liable for Employer NI 324 1
- SSP recovered on directors salary 285 5
- Standard 'email' template system 353 5
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 990
- Employment related securities question 504
- Looking for a qualified accountant 328
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 309
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 276
- National Insurance 214
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 202
- Joint construction arrangement CIS and VAT 194
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 191
- Payments on account coded out?? 149