£2,000 Employer NI Allowance & Company Control
Hi, I am trying to figure out if a director has control of 2 different companies which means he could not claim the £2000 employer allowance for both companies:
Director X has a 50% shareholding with his wife who is also director holding the other 50%. At the start of the tax year Director X had made a slightly larger loan to the company than his wife director. Only £50 more but even so still larger. As Director X owns 50% and has given a larger loan I think this would mean he has control of the company.
Director X has a 50% shareholding with director Z who also holds 50%. This is not a relative. At the start of the tax year Director X had made a slightly larger loan to the company than the other director. Only very small again but still larger than the other director. As Director X owns 50% and has given a larger loan I think this would mean he has control of the company.
1. Do people agree with me that Director X would be classed as having control of both the above companies as he has a 50% share and has made a bigger loan to the company (Albeit a tiny amount more). And therefore because of this he can only claim Employment Allowance in one of the companies?
2. For next tax year in Company A. If the director makes sure his loan is the same size as his wife's, and therefore did not control the company, I assume he could claim employer allowance in both companies? I do not think I need to add his and his wife's shareholding together to give him control as the other director in company B is not a relative.
Thank you for any advice anyone may provide. It would be really appreciated.
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 2,600 33
- Tax Planning for Family and Owner-Managed Companies 2015/16 107 3
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 1,036 16
- Share capital - death of a shareholder 595 19
- Taxation of UK branches of foreign companies 170 1
- Limited company built a property and the client has made this messy 376 10
- Paying dividends to Ordinary shares with different nominal values 255 6
- Annual Investment Allowance on Van 464 8
- International priorities 119 1
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 487 10
- Transfering bank balnces between old and new co. 158 3
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,613 34
- iris update 11.9.2 283 3
- Company Structure 440 12
- Exclusion of single director companies from the Employment Allowance in 2016/17 518 13
- Revenue phishing examples 382 2
- Do joint employment contracts enjoy double NI allowances? 292 4
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 402 1
- Advertising Tips? 388 8
- Transferring rental property to limited company 575 15
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 740
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 437
- Costly Accounting Software contract 376
- Directors' advances and credits 291
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 265
- DTA tie-breaker issue 255
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 236
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 213
- CGT for NOn UK residents 197
- Apprenticeship Levy 187