£2,000 Employer NI Allowance & Company Control
Hi, I am trying to figure out if a director has control of 2 different companies which means he could not claim the £2000 employer allowance for both companies:
Director X has a 50% shareholding with his wife who is also director holding the other 50%. At the start of the tax year Director X had made a slightly larger loan to the company than his wife director. Only £50 more but even so still larger. As Director X owns 50% and has given a larger loan I think this would mean he has control of the company.
Director X has a 50% shareholding with director Z who also holds 50%. This is not a relative. At the start of the tax year Director X had made a slightly larger loan to the company than the other director. Only very small again but still larger than the other director. As Director X owns 50% and has given a larger loan I think this would mean he has control of the company.
1. Do people agree with me that Director X would be classed as having control of both the above companies as he has a 50% share and has made a bigger loan to the company (Albeit a tiny amount more). And therefore because of this he can only claim Employment Allowance in one of the companies?
2. For next tax year in Company A. If the director makes sure his loan is the same size as his wife's, and therefore did not control the company, I assume he could claim employer allowance in both companies? I do not think I need to add his and his wife's shareholding together to give him control as the other director in company B is not a relative.
Thank you for any advice anyone may provide. It would be really appreciated.
- Company Director In Prison 486 12
- Flat rate VAT 143 3
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 2,394 23
- Accounts Software 221 8
- Deduction from Salary 855 23
- National insurance contributions 113 1
- AWeb - download file 212 4
- Director Drawings 250 6
- Incorporated when they should not have 309 9
- Accountancy Career 360 5
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,724 39
- Holiday Pay whilst on Mat Leave 144 1
- HMRC Agents Line 239 4
- calculation DTR restriction 101 1
- SMP reclaimable by employer 113 1
- Charity work 257 11
- Help with HMRC investigation 307 6
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 289 13
- Managing Employee Expenses 244 7
- Collection or business assets 124 1
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 686
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 533
- Cancelled 431
- Cancelled 366
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 363
- Probiz 338
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 330
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 244
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 218
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 206