£3200 Self Assessment fines although i was on PAYE scheme
Hi, I was working for a company until early this year when they folded. I was a sales director ad was o an annual directors PAYE scheme.
I'd been receiving letters from HMRC since about 3 years ago requesting self assessment to be completed, so I queried these to the accountant at our company and he said to contact HMRC and to tell them that I was on a PAYE scheme, and I duly did this.
About a month ago I had a collection agency call on me on behalf of HMRC so I called HMRC to query this and was told that they needed the returns completed. I downloaded the forms, completed the returns and sent them off; I owed no tax for any of the years. However HMRC are still demanding that I pay the fines and interest.
I am at a loss, since I was on the understanding that we had correctly provided returns via PAYE. Can anyone give me some advice please?
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,862 41
- Rent a Relief for small husband and wife run guesthouse 236 2
- Xerocon 2016 801 12
- Personal Tax 175 2
- Mortgage Reference 158 2
- Entrepreneurs relief after enhancement 147 3
- VAT - Check on clients business 1,176 45
- Practical experience 848 15
- Buy Samsung Galaxy Note 5 430 9
- VAT 305 1
- Gift aid procedure please? 209 4
- What counts as income for the £100k 'salary' cap for free childcare from 2017? 170 1
- last minute request 277 3
- US tax form 1099 (misc?) 78 1
- Cash gift from India 499 13
- GP ACCOUNTS 83 1
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 452 16
- Stamp Duty based on Exchange or Completion Date 118 2
- Re-Training costs - tax reief 270 6
- Maternity and claining expenses 668 6