I have just returned back to work from 2 weeks studying for the final three exams and I’m left wondering if the big accountancy institutes have got it all wrong.
For anyone not familiar with the ACCA final exams they consist of Governance, Risk and Ethics paper, Corporate Reporting paper and Business Analysis paper. In my opinion all three papers appear to be aimed at accountants training with the top 50 firms. For example the GRE paper generally focuses on listed companies in the FTSE 350, the CR paper is only examined under International accountancy standards and the BA paper as far as I can work out is all about learning pointless management models and theories written years ago.
Just how any of these papers are relevant to the small professional practice here in the UK, which lets be honest make up the bulk of accountancy profession. I just can not see how any of this is going to be of use to me working in a small practice.
Furthermore I am beginning to think that ACCA are really just after making money from its members. On the current syllabus there are 3 what I would call financial reporting papers, 2 audit papers and 2 tax papers. Is this really necessary or purely a money grabbing exercise?
Whilst I already have professional qualifications and do want to become ACCA qualified, am I alone in thinking many of the exams we study are utterly pointless and wonder if this is really the best way to produce quality accountants.
What are the thoughts of others on their qualifications and how the exams relate to what they do on a day to basis?
- tax saving on card points 208 6
- 2014/15 Tax calculation spread sheet 885 14
- VAT - How hard is it? 666 24
- Capital Allowances and CGT interaction 240 9
- Scissors 838 24
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,297 35
- AIA for a Van, Self Employed 419 6
- Tax treatment of gift of expensive watch 432 10
- Directors exempt from AE? 212 6
- Availability of Tax Relief on Expenses incurred for Voluntary Work Overseas 102 2
- The importance of Grammar 1,241 34
- Profit split from an investment property 102 4
- Xero Pain Points 490 17
- DIRECTOR LOAN ACCOUNT AND BALANCE 320 8
- VAT and Groups 77 2
- Post Budget Disincorporations 1,918 13
- VAT & Offshore Companies 215 7
- Bookkeeping - Relevant Qualifications? 447 5
- Mobile phone costs during maternity leave for OMB 311 8
- working from home 1,712 29
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 367
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 318
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 305
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 292
- Electric Car 248
- S222 Charge 217
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 213
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 199
- Company Structure 191
- VAT and customer entertaining 174