I have just returned back to work from 2 weeks studying for the final three exams and I’m left wondering if the big accountancy institutes have got it all wrong.
For anyone not familiar with the ACCA final exams they consist of Governance, Risk and Ethics paper, Corporate Reporting paper and Business Analysis paper. In my opinion all three papers appear to be aimed at accountants training with the top 50 firms. For example the GRE paper generally focuses on listed companies in the FTSE 350, the CR paper is only examined under International accountancy standards and the BA paper as far as I can work out is all about learning pointless management models and theories written years ago.
Just how any of these papers are relevant to the small professional practice here in the UK, which lets be honest make up the bulk of accountancy profession. I just can not see how any of this is going to be of use to me working in a small practice.
Furthermore I am beginning to think that ACCA are really just after making money from its members. On the current syllabus there are 3 what I would call financial reporting papers, 2 audit papers and 2 tax papers. Is this really necessary or purely a money grabbing exercise?
Whilst I already have professional qualifications and do want to become ACCA qualified, am I alone in thinking many of the exams we study are utterly pointless and wonder if this is really the best way to produce quality accountants.
What are the thoughts of others on their qualifications and how the exams relate to what they do on a day to basis?
- Papilio UK Equity Release Mortgages Ltd 169 1
- Rental Income 267 6
- Value pricing 120 6
- Payroll 2012/13 69 1
- I have a pain 642 6
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 55 1
- convert directors loan account to share capital 139 5
- Anyone else seen incorrect tax code notices - rather worring! 715 17
- Belated VAT Exception Application 99 3
- Cash flow 133 2
- New use of home - simplified method 199 4
- CGT and PPR and Lettings Relief? 256 5
- company secretarial software 94 1
- 2 year rule? Self employed. 349 13
- How long is filing an FPS meant to take ? 1,932 32
- Share restructure 326 12
- Liquidation of Subsiduary 141 4
- Unknown cash receipt 1,822 14
- P11d error 423 9
- Need to upgrade from Sage 50 but to what? 167 1
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 726
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 495
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 342
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 334
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 261
- VAT on Gaming Machines 209
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 196
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 179
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 172
- Paye procedures for CVA 145