I have just returned back to work from 2 weeks studying for the final three exams and I’m left wondering if the big accountancy institutes have got it all wrong.
For anyone not familiar with the ACCA final exams they consist of Governance, Risk and Ethics paper, Corporate Reporting paper and Business Analysis paper. In my opinion all three papers appear to be aimed at accountants training with the top 50 firms. For example the GRE paper generally focuses on listed companies in the FTSE 350, the CR paper is only examined under International accountancy standards and the BA paper as far as I can work out is all about learning pointless management models and theories written years ago.
Just how any of these papers are relevant to the small professional practice here in the UK, which lets be honest make up the bulk of accountancy profession. I just can not see how any of this is going to be of use to me working in a small practice.
Furthermore I am beginning to think that ACCA are really just after making money from its members. On the current syllabus there are 3 what I would call financial reporting papers, 2 audit papers and 2 tax papers. Is this really necessary or purely a money grabbing exercise?
Whilst I already have professional qualifications and do want to become ACCA qualified, am I alone in thinking many of the exams we study are utterly pointless and wonder if this is really the best way to produce quality accountants.
What are the thoughts of others on their qualifications and how the exams relate to what they do on a day to basis?
- Audit 424 14
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 364 8
- Tax on free shares 61 3
- PPR relief and half hectare rule 90 3
- Capital allowances on sale and puchase of business assets 90 1
- Buying a horse?? 363 12
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 178 2
- Flat Rate Vat 14.5% and 5% reduced rate VAT 158 2
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 721 21
- PITA ex-client 179 9
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 231 6
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 343 9
- What font do you prefer to use for correspondence? 122 6
- Can I contribute to SIPP if I pay no salary/dividend from ltd company 315 5
- How to complain about HMRC 1,655 19
- New supplier 123 3
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 821 22
- Capital allowances on a 3G Pitch 244 13
- Scottish Independance 877 24
- Funding Circle experience 76 1
- CTA study material 798
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 490
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 450
- Employment related securities question 316
- AIM Stocks and IHT 303
- Expat pension contributions? 275
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 273
- Trust for Employee 252
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 216
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 156