I have just returned back to work from 2 weeks studying for the final three exams and I’m left wondering if the big accountancy institutes have got it all wrong.
For anyone not familiar with the ACCA final exams they consist of Governance, Risk and Ethics paper, Corporate Reporting paper and Business Analysis paper. In my opinion all three papers appear to be aimed at accountants training with the top 50 firms. For example the GRE paper generally focuses on listed companies in the FTSE 350, the CR paper is only examined under International accountancy standards and the BA paper as far as I can work out is all about learning pointless management models and theories written years ago.
Just how any of these papers are relevant to the small professional practice here in the UK, which lets be honest make up the bulk of accountancy profession. I just can not see how any of this is going to be of use to me working in a small practice.
Furthermore I am beginning to think that ACCA are really just after making money from its members. On the current syllabus there are 3 what I would call financial reporting papers, 2 audit papers and 2 tax papers. Is this really necessary or purely a money grabbing exercise?
Whilst I already have professional qualifications and do want to become ACCA qualified, am I alone in thinking many of the exams we study are utterly pointless and wonder if this is really the best way to produce quality accountants.
What are the thoughts of others on their qualifications and how the exams relate to what they do on a day to basis?
- Setting up a practice 153 3
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 620 17
- Stamp Duty 279 4
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 218 4
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,763 21
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 449 5
- Incorporation of gp practise 164 1
- Love is in the air 410 5
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 250 9
- Auto enrolment confusion 2,009 46
- Very large share capital by mistake 322 3
- Client Paperwork Retention? 548 13
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 559 7
- Tax Overlap Reporting 326 4
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 345 2
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 379 9
- Reimbursing director travel costs 431 6
- Allegedly ICAS most of us at 50 should pack up - Interesting 448 8
- Sage 50 VAT Return 277 2
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 526 1
- DTA tie-breaker issue 295
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 281
- CGT for NOn UK residents 278
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 274
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 249
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 236
- Apprenticeship Levy 232
- Capital Gains personal representatives 219
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 212
- Mandating Rental income or dividend income to a company 193