I have just returned back to work from 2 weeks studying for the final three exams and I’m left wondering if the big accountancy institutes have got it all wrong.
For anyone not familiar with the ACCA final exams they consist of Governance, Risk and Ethics paper, Corporate Reporting paper and Business Analysis paper. In my opinion all three papers appear to be aimed at accountants training with the top 50 firms. For example the GRE paper generally focuses on listed companies in the FTSE 350, the CR paper is only examined under International accountancy standards and the BA paper as far as I can work out is all about learning pointless management models and theories written years ago.
Just how any of these papers are relevant to the small professional practice here in the UK, which lets be honest make up the bulk of accountancy profession. I just can not see how any of this is going to be of use to me working in a small practice.
Furthermore I am beginning to think that ACCA are really just after making money from its members. On the current syllabus there are 3 what I would call financial reporting papers, 2 audit papers and 2 tax papers. Is this really necessary or purely a money grabbing exercise?
Whilst I already have professional qualifications and do want to become ACCA qualified, am I alone in thinking many of the exams we study are utterly pointless and wonder if this is really the best way to produce quality accountants.
What are the thoughts of others on their qualifications and how the exams relate to what they do on a day to basis?
- Deadline for appeal against late filing 109 2
- About your hairdresser clients 513 21
- Pool vehicle with age restriction 77 2
- Ouch. Those penalties sting 2,583 29
- Income for self employed associate dentist? 126 1
- Redundancy for husband and wife ltd co 110 2
- Keytime 300 3
- Transferring Shares From Manx Co to Cayman Island Co 129 3
- Nine-Page Engagement Letters 753 13
- How does one compete? 671 8
- Trust setting on HMRC CT600 124 4
- Employee tears suit... 240 3
- PAYE & NIC 764 35
- Related party not trading -should debt be written off ? 77 1
- Great Service 1,245 16
- Income £10k salary and £20k net dividends 482 16
- £NIL EPS's wiping out CIS deductions 283 4
- When was the requirement for Ltd. company to have at least two shareholders abolished? 227 5
- HMRC's "HVA" list .... High Volume Agents 744 9
- Sports Club and Partial Exemption for VAT 193 1
- Sanzar 527
- Digital marketing focus group 411
- Sainsbury's mangement 377
- Are commercial mortgage cashbacks subject to Corporation Tax ? 377
- Continuity Agreement 352
- Avanti Accounts 352
- Buyback 305
- Entrepreneurs' relief (ER) for EMI shares 253
- Aggresive sales from Iris 246
- Charity volunteers and mileage 209