I have just returned back to work from 2 weeks studying for the final three exams and I’m left wondering if the big accountancy institutes have got it all wrong.
For anyone not familiar with the ACCA final exams they consist of Governance, Risk and Ethics paper, Corporate Reporting paper and Business Analysis paper. In my opinion all three papers appear to be aimed at accountants training with the top 50 firms. For example the GRE paper generally focuses on listed companies in the FTSE 350, the CR paper is only examined under International accountancy standards and the BA paper as far as I can work out is all about learning pointless management models and theories written years ago.
Just how any of these papers are relevant to the small professional practice here in the UK, which lets be honest make up the bulk of accountancy profession. I just can not see how any of this is going to be of use to me working in a small practice.
Furthermore I am beginning to think that ACCA are really just after making money from its members. On the current syllabus there are 3 what I would call financial reporting papers, 2 audit papers and 2 tax papers. Is this really necessary or purely a money grabbing exercise?
Whilst I already have professional qualifications and do want to become ACCA qualified, am I alone in thinking many of the exams we study are utterly pointless and wonder if this is really the best way to produce quality accountants.
What are the thoughts of others on their qualifications and how the exams relate to what they do on a day to basis?
- When should i raise VAT invoice after pro-forma payment received? 356 11
- break even point 724 21
- Easy way to de-register as employer? 153 2
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 546 14
- Companies House iphone app - alternatives? 72 1
- VAT for Small Property Development Company 64 1
- Failure to operate PAYE 1,171 28
- Classic cars investment 378 11
- National Insurance Contributions 149 2
- NI Contributions in order to claim state pension 209 4
- Lack of Quickbooks Online Coverage 263 4
- Client with enquiry inro careless or negligent tax return 887 23
- Asset holding company 275 6
- How much to charge? 490 7
- VAT GUIDE - 22-25 AGENTS OR EQUIVALENT 325 6
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 294 1
- I think I'm developing an anger issue 3,053 36
- HMRC Getting Extra Tough? 919 8
- IR 35 deemed payment calc 245 5
- Gift or Capital Gain? 460 13
- Possible Partnership? 483
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 454
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 452
- New Fangled Penalties 269
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 246
- Clubs and Taxable Income 239
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 237
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 228
- Loans to other companies 185
- Tasbook email configuration 169