I have just returned back to work from 2 weeks studying for the final three exams and I’m left wondering if the big accountancy institutes have got it all wrong.
For anyone not familiar with the ACCA final exams they consist of Governance, Risk and Ethics paper, Corporate Reporting paper and Business Analysis paper. In my opinion all three papers appear to be aimed at accountants training with the top 50 firms. For example the GRE paper generally focuses on listed companies in the FTSE 350, the CR paper is only examined under International accountancy standards and the BA paper as far as I can work out is all about learning pointless management models and theories written years ago.
Just how any of these papers are relevant to the small professional practice here in the UK, which lets be honest make up the bulk of accountancy profession. I just can not see how any of this is going to be of use to me working in a small practice.
Furthermore I am beginning to think that ACCA are really just after making money from its members. On the current syllabus there are 3 what I would call financial reporting papers, 2 audit papers and 2 tax papers. Is this really necessary or purely a money grabbing exercise?
Whilst I already have professional qualifications and do want to become ACCA qualified, am I alone in thinking many of the exams we study are utterly pointless and wonder if this is really the best way to produce quality accountants.
What are the thoughts of others on their qualifications and how the exams relate to what they do on a day to basis?
- Accountancy software for an imac 236 6
- PAYE Coding Notices 503 10
- VAT Option to tax 313 4
- directors loan movements and repayments 222 3
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 864 16
- Consortium relief and bad debts 64 2
- Late P800 demand shows later year? 159 4
- VAT registration for "co-operative" formed to provide flood defences 25 1
- Business travel apps 59 2
- BEST CPD COURSE 57 1
- EIS - connection through employment 50 1
- Weely paid employees 316 4
- Payroll - Previous year not filed 91 2
- Total cost of employment 231 2
- Help car benefit 183 5
- From Ireland. Self-Employed or Foreign Income? 160 5
- Cable’s crackdown on bonuses – empty words? 74 1
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 1,441 11
- PPR qualifying period while living in employer accommodation? 74 1
- HMRC Dispensation - How long does it last for? 138 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 890
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 623
- Free Tax Legislation? 379
- Director Loan account operation 377
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 322
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 307
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 299
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 276
- Paye procedures for CVA 208
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 196