I have just returned back to work from 2 weeks studying for the final three exams and I’m left wondering if the big accountancy institutes have got it all wrong.
For anyone not familiar with the ACCA final exams they consist of Governance, Risk and Ethics paper, Corporate Reporting paper and Business Analysis paper. In my opinion all three papers appear to be aimed at accountants training with the top 50 firms. For example the GRE paper generally focuses on listed companies in the FTSE 350, the CR paper is only examined under International accountancy standards and the BA paper as far as I can work out is all about learning pointless management models and theories written years ago.
Just how any of these papers are relevant to the small professional practice here in the UK, which lets be honest make up the bulk of accountancy profession. I just can not see how any of this is going to be of use to me working in a small practice.
Furthermore I am beginning to think that ACCA are really just after making money from its members. On the current syllabus there are 3 what I would call financial reporting papers, 2 audit papers and 2 tax papers. Is this really necessary or purely a money grabbing exercise?
Whilst I already have professional qualifications and do want to become ACCA qualified, am I alone in thinking many of the exams we study are utterly pointless and wonder if this is really the best way to produce quality accountants.
What are the thoughts of others on their qualifications and how the exams relate to what they do on a day to basis?
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 41 3
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 231 7
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 1,448 18
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 153 8
- Accounting for a finance lease 82 3
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,520 39
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 61 1
- Moneysoft Payroll Windows 8.1 Woes - Help! 1,017 18
- SA302's anyone?? 451 15
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 676 23
- Deed of variation on a will & effect on tax returns 90 2
- Renting for military reasons 97 1
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 97 1
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 214 3
- do i pay vat when buying a business 478 25
- Auto enrolment for one or two director companies 1,967 30
- Tax status of prizes 303 17
- Clogged Losses 241 4
- Import Sales Invoices into Sage Instant 306 5
- Are Sage finally getting it's act together? 251 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,612
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 893
- International interest certificate 503
- NOVA 366
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 276
- Bonus Bonds 257
- Management expenses for investment company 256
- Help with tax codes on Sage 204
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 168
- tax on apprenticeship income 160