I have just returned back to work from 2 weeks studying for the final three exams and I’m left wondering if the big accountancy institutes have got it all wrong.
For anyone not familiar with the ACCA final exams they consist of Governance, Risk and Ethics paper, Corporate Reporting paper and Business Analysis paper. In my opinion all three papers appear to be aimed at accountants training with the top 50 firms. For example the GRE paper generally focuses on listed companies in the FTSE 350, the CR paper is only examined under International accountancy standards and the BA paper as far as I can work out is all about learning pointless management models and theories written years ago.
Just how any of these papers are relevant to the small professional practice here in the UK, which lets be honest make up the bulk of accountancy profession. I just can not see how any of this is going to be of use to me working in a small practice.
Furthermore I am beginning to think that ACCA are really just after making money from its members. On the current syllabus there are 3 what I would call financial reporting papers, 2 audit papers and 2 tax papers. Is this really necessary or purely a money grabbing exercise?
Whilst I already have professional qualifications and do want to become ACCA qualified, am I alone in thinking many of the exams we study are utterly pointless and wonder if this is really the best way to produce quality accountants.
What are the thoughts of others on their qualifications and how the exams relate to what they do on a day to basis?
- Change of payroll software 396 10
- Director phone costs 257 1
- What to say to Tom, Dick and Harry... 273 2
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 320 8
- EU eservices VAT change imminent 341 7
- 2013-14 Tax Return-Transparent Benchmarks? 197 2
- VAT Tax Point - Overseas Purchase 145 4
- VAT surcharges and change of business entity 28 1
- Recourse to Accountant for incorrect accounts 2,376 20
- Should I move back home away from my office? 504 10
- Property income in different capacities 143 2
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 265 6
- Contract Hire of Vans for Limited Company 96 1
- Recharge for private use of a company car 423 10
- SATR - ommission of capital gains 162 1
- Scanners 190 4
- Overdrawn Directors Loan Account 169 1
- Solar panels - VAT and Capital allowances 249 3
- Payment plans for clients 174 2
- General rule: Evidence that the customer is in business 253 1
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,180
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 800
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 494
- Digita Hosted Software 323
- Credit where credit's due....... 280
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 229
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 162
- how to object to registered company name... 146
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 142
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 130