I have just returned back to work from 2 weeks studying for the final three exams and I’m left wondering if the big accountancy institutes have got it all wrong.
For anyone not familiar with the ACCA final exams they consist of Governance, Risk and Ethics paper, Corporate Reporting paper and Business Analysis paper. In my opinion all three papers appear to be aimed at accountants training with the top 50 firms. For example the GRE paper generally focuses on listed companies in the FTSE 350, the CR paper is only examined under International accountancy standards and the BA paper as far as I can work out is all about learning pointless management models and theories written years ago.
Just how any of these papers are relevant to the small professional practice here in the UK, which lets be honest make up the bulk of accountancy profession. I just can not see how any of this is going to be of use to me working in a small practice.
Furthermore I am beginning to think that ACCA are really just after making money from its members. On the current syllabus there are 3 what I would call financial reporting papers, 2 audit papers and 2 tax papers. Is this really necessary or purely a money grabbing exercise?
Whilst I already have professional qualifications and do want to become ACCA qualified, am I alone in thinking many of the exams we study are utterly pointless and wonder if this is really the best way to produce quality accountants.
What are the thoughts of others on their qualifications and how the exams relate to what they do on a day to basis?
- ACCA - still making me laugh 410 3
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 230 1
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 293 11
- Tax return software for remote working 452 4
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 479 9
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 783 24
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 406 9
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 437 9
- How to purchase business premises? 124 2
- Will I need to resign? 790 10
- Childcare vouchers 137 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 266 5
- Management Company Setup Structure as Limited Company 294 6
- VAT avoidance? 205 4
- Can S455 tax repaid 174 3
- PAYE coding out 164 3
- Follower cases 572 2
- LIVE chat, starting now 450 2
- Late Registration for VAT 448 12
- TheTax Donut 1,146 1
- Hive up 467
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 434
- corporate hierarchy 413
- Advice - 241
- Amortisation of Goodwill 211
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 199
- WWOOFers 193
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 175
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 173
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 168