I have just returned back to work from 2 weeks studying for the final three exams and I’m left wondering if the big accountancy institutes have got it all wrong.
For anyone not familiar with the ACCA final exams they consist of Governance, Risk and Ethics paper, Corporate Reporting paper and Business Analysis paper. In my opinion all three papers appear to be aimed at accountants training with the top 50 firms. For example the GRE paper generally focuses on listed companies in the FTSE 350, the CR paper is only examined under International accountancy standards and the BA paper as far as I can work out is all about learning pointless management models and theories written years ago.
Just how any of these papers are relevant to the small professional practice here in the UK, which lets be honest make up the bulk of accountancy profession. I just can not see how any of this is going to be of use to me working in a small practice.
Furthermore I am beginning to think that ACCA are really just after making money from its members. On the current syllabus there are 3 what I would call financial reporting papers, 2 audit papers and 2 tax papers. Is this really necessary or purely a money grabbing exercise?
Whilst I already have professional qualifications and do want to become ACCA qualified, am I alone in thinking many of the exams we study are utterly pointless and wonder if this is really the best way to produce quality accountants.
What are the thoughts of others on their qualifications and how the exams relate to what they do on a day to basis?
- VAT on Part Contribution towards Safety Boots 45 2
- Company oversea and VAT 118 6
- Small Business Payroll 86 4
- Relevant Life Insurance 129 4
- CIS Contractor 49 1
- VAT on unused stock 193 2
- Bank stream and receipt bank advice... 181 2
- Payslip Count in Sage 50 Payroll 156 2
- Director resignation 565 12
- Mobile phone and P11D 1,598 6
- WIP Software 371 1
- C79 and VAT Paid to Parcelforce 92 1
- Can anyone recommend a fax send/receive service which I can use via email? 111 3
- Corporation tax on gains from one company to another 203 9
- Dividend Waiver 234 5
- effective advertising 513 10
- Landlord probs - IHT, CGT and cashflow 395 10
- Definition of "relative" in benefits code 261 4
- Small Part Disposal of Property 259 1
- Capital Distribution 120 3
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 498
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 473
- No payroll scheme in place 310
- Is there anything wrong with this? 269
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 261
- Uncommercial property business 234
- Apple Employees - RSU vesting and tax witheld 201
- SA Penalty 198
- Registering online CWF1 177
- Accrued income scheme 176