I have just returned back to work from 2 weeks studying for the final three exams and I’m left wondering if the big accountancy institutes have got it all wrong.
For anyone not familiar with the ACCA final exams they consist of Governance, Risk and Ethics paper, Corporate Reporting paper and Business Analysis paper. In my opinion all three papers appear to be aimed at accountants training with the top 50 firms. For example the GRE paper generally focuses on listed companies in the FTSE 350, the CR paper is only examined under International accountancy standards and the BA paper as far as I can work out is all about learning pointless management models and theories written years ago.
Just how any of these papers are relevant to the small professional practice here in the UK, which lets be honest make up the bulk of accountancy profession. I just can not see how any of this is going to be of use to me working in a small practice.
Furthermore I am beginning to think that ACCA are really just after making money from its members. On the current syllabus there are 3 what I would call financial reporting papers, 2 audit papers and 2 tax papers. Is this really necessary or purely a money grabbing exercise?
Whilst I already have professional qualifications and do want to become ACCA qualified, am I alone in thinking many of the exams we study are utterly pointless and wonder if this is really the best way to produce quality accountants.
What are the thoughts of others on their qualifications and how the exams relate to what they do on a day to basis?
- Accounting Crew 404 9
- How often do you guys market your services. 668 9
- Overdue VAT returns 230 5
- What should I charge for unlimited advice and support ? 341 7
- Mathematical conundrum on loan repayments 408 4
- Charges for completing a PAYE Settlement Agreement 362 2
- Benchmark scale rates for subsistance 160 2
- Builder - Roll over relief 304 14
- What's the plural? 413 8
- PII and previous accountant 401 8
- Self Employed travel 253 5
- Processing RTI whilst on holiday 2,710 43
- Use of aliases 566 15
- xbrl accounts and HMRC template help 552 11
- Alphabet Shares - tax implications? 1,488 8
- DISCOUNTED RENT FREE PERIOD 167 2
- VAT - Quidco Cash-back 240 3
- Subsidiary or New Company? 113 2
- Splitting hairs with a national firm 374 3
- VAT on Import goods 159 4
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 564
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 417
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 318
- IFA incorporation 291
- Mortgage interest claim on Buy to let hic up 278
- Can the receivers fees be allowed for tax? 274
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 241
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 230
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 211
- Life assurance gains anomoly?? 195