I have just returned back to work from 2 weeks studying for the final three exams and I’m left wondering if the big accountancy institutes have got it all wrong.
For anyone not familiar with the ACCA final exams they consist of Governance, Risk and Ethics paper, Corporate Reporting paper and Business Analysis paper. In my opinion all three papers appear to be aimed at accountants training with the top 50 firms. For example the GRE paper generally focuses on listed companies in the FTSE 350, the CR paper is only examined under International accountancy standards and the BA paper as far as I can work out is all about learning pointless management models and theories written years ago.
Just how any of these papers are relevant to the small professional practice here in the UK, which lets be honest make up the bulk of accountancy profession. I just can not see how any of this is going to be of use to me working in a small practice.
Furthermore I am beginning to think that ACCA are really just after making money from its members. On the current syllabus there are 3 what I would call financial reporting papers, 2 audit papers and 2 tax papers. Is this really necessary or purely a money grabbing exercise?
Whilst I already have professional qualifications and do want to become ACCA qualified, am I alone in thinking many of the exams we study are utterly pointless and wonder if this is really the best way to produce quality accountants.
What are the thoughts of others on their qualifications and how the exams relate to what they do on a day to basis?
- Non-SA client with large capital gain 233 6
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 501 25
- AIA 20 1
- HMRC SA software error? 102 2
- Plant & Machinery for commercial property 162 2
- Tax deduction for Partners for items outside of accounts 249 14
- Sole trade and vehicle leasing 147 4
- Drive off and Wastage expenses - No supp doc 157 6
- Welcome to the Saturday Club 966 43
- Treatment of income for sole trader 108 2
- wave software 116 1
- Freelance software consultant 327 5
- client can't/won't pay 303 11
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,143 14
- Window Comb Binder Cover 107 2
- Splitting income from property rental or not? 220 5
- losses carried forward 372 10
- Auto enrolment 1,626 26
- Is it possible to offset part Class 4 losses for year from one business against part profits of second business 225 8
- VT 364 7
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 780
- Copy Wanted 497
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 454
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 451
- Latest phishing scam 281
- Entrepreneurs' relief 268
- Limited Company Garden Office - Minor Personal Use - BIK 262
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 247
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 233
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 230