I have just returned back to work from 2 weeks studying for the final three exams and I’m left wondering if the big accountancy institutes have got it all wrong.
For anyone not familiar with the ACCA final exams they consist of Governance, Risk and Ethics paper, Corporate Reporting paper and Business Analysis paper. In my opinion all three papers appear to be aimed at accountants training with the top 50 firms. For example the GRE paper generally focuses on listed companies in the FTSE 350, the CR paper is only examined under International accountancy standards and the BA paper as far as I can work out is all about learning pointless management models and theories written years ago.
Just how any of these papers are relevant to the small professional practice here in the UK, which lets be honest make up the bulk of accountancy profession. I just can not see how any of this is going to be of use to me working in a small practice.
Furthermore I am beginning to think that ACCA are really just after making money from its members. On the current syllabus there are 3 what I would call financial reporting papers, 2 audit papers and 2 tax papers. Is this really necessary or purely a money grabbing exercise?
Whilst I already have professional qualifications and do want to become ACCA qualified, am I alone in thinking many of the exams we study are utterly pointless and wonder if this is really the best way to produce quality accountants.
What are the thoughts of others on their qualifications and how the exams relate to what they do on a day to basis?
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 381 22
- How would you account for warranty? 96 3
- Sweet Tooth 118 6
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,011 13
- LLP - Member leaving 73 4
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 182 6
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 154 2
- trading or dormant 85 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 74 1
- tax credits 109 5
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 513 19
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 174 6
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 558 11
- Can rental income ever be trading income? 255 3
- Benefit In Kind Accommodation 108 1
- Tax Return Deadlines 190 3
- Foreign income for self employed 124 1
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 627 18
- Sage help...written off bad debt, done year end now bad payer wants to start to pay 76 2
- Who owns SAGE Data? 492 10
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 860
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 512
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 324
- How to format a stock book 300
- Tax efficient holding company structure 238
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 233
- Investment property company accounts template 223
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 217
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 186
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 157