I have just returned back to work from 2 weeks studying for the final three exams and I’m left wondering if the big accountancy institutes have got it all wrong.
For anyone not familiar with the ACCA final exams they consist of Governance, Risk and Ethics paper, Corporate Reporting paper and Business Analysis paper. In my opinion all three papers appear to be aimed at accountants training with the top 50 firms. For example the GRE paper generally focuses on listed companies in the FTSE 350, the CR paper is only examined under International accountancy standards and the BA paper as far as I can work out is all about learning pointless management models and theories written years ago.
Just how any of these papers are relevant to the small professional practice here in the UK, which lets be honest make up the bulk of accountancy profession. I just can not see how any of this is going to be of use to me working in a small practice.
Furthermore I am beginning to think that ACCA are really just after making money from its members. On the current syllabus there are 3 what I would call financial reporting papers, 2 audit papers and 2 tax papers. Is this really necessary or purely a money grabbing exercise?
Whilst I already have professional qualifications and do want to become ACCA qualified, am I alone in thinking many of the exams we study are utterly pointless and wonder if this is really the best way to produce quality accountants.
What are the thoughts of others on their qualifications and how the exams relate to what they do on a day to basis?
- Builder Gifted Deposit and capital gains 564 24
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 841 13
- another ir35!!!! 144 2
- Subscriptions not on HMRC list of approved bodies 214 1
- Settlement, or any other issues? 61 1
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 77 3
- Buying blocks of fees 340 2
- Practical Query: Entrepreneurs and PPR Reliefs 265 3
- Tax treatment of cashed in American Savings Plan 158 2
- Daily Penalties 2012/13 145 1
- IR35 & Managed Service Companies 256 1
- Previous accountant filed dormant accounts in error 136 1
- Wear and tear allowance 316 4
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 653 24
- Husband and Wife Holiday letting profit split 130 3
- tax insider 385 5
- Tax on sale of shares 96 2
- Amazon - digital book sales 225 2
- late payroll registration 105 1
- *Urgent pls advise * filing dormant accounts to Companies House 506 18
- Skandia using wrong address 1,423
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 735
- Any views 670
- HMRC Employers Diary 498
- International interest certificate 412
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 372
- Sale of business 325
- NOVA 237
- Advertising services? 225
- IRIS Open Books problem 214