I have just returned back to work from 2 weeks studying for the final three exams and I’m left wondering if the big accountancy institutes have got it all wrong.
For anyone not familiar with the ACCA final exams they consist of Governance, Risk and Ethics paper, Corporate Reporting paper and Business Analysis paper. In my opinion all three papers appear to be aimed at accountants training with the top 50 firms. For example the GRE paper generally focuses on listed companies in the FTSE 350, the CR paper is only examined under International accountancy standards and the BA paper as far as I can work out is all about learning pointless management models and theories written years ago.
Just how any of these papers are relevant to the small professional practice here in the UK, which lets be honest make up the bulk of accountancy profession. I just can not see how any of this is going to be of use to me working in a small practice.
Furthermore I am beginning to think that ACCA are really just after making money from its members. On the current syllabus there are 3 what I would call financial reporting papers, 2 audit papers and 2 tax papers. Is this really necessary or purely a money grabbing exercise?
Whilst I already have professional qualifications and do want to become ACCA qualified, am I alone in thinking many of the exams we study are utterly pointless and wonder if this is really the best way to produce quality accountants.
What are the thoughts of others on their qualifications and how the exams relate to what they do on a day to basis?
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 345 5
- See you all on the other side 547 6
- 12Pay 270 2
- dividends 343 2
- R&D 209 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,073 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 359 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 262 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 220 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 457 5
- Seeking a tax case 493 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 353 4
- Companies house strike off 319 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 256 2
- Moving to the cloud 673 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 189 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 808 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 177 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,036 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 407 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 533
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 403
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 359
- IRIS and FRS 102 338
- Capitalising Finance Lease 302
- USA help 298
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 267
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 257
- Capital gains on rental property 240
- Sage Coretime 225