I have just returned back to work from 2 weeks studying for the final three exams and I’m left wondering if the big accountancy institutes have got it all wrong.
For anyone not familiar with the ACCA final exams they consist of Governance, Risk and Ethics paper, Corporate Reporting paper and Business Analysis paper. In my opinion all three papers appear to be aimed at accountants training with the top 50 firms. For example the GRE paper generally focuses on listed companies in the FTSE 350, the CR paper is only examined under International accountancy standards and the BA paper as far as I can work out is all about learning pointless management models and theories written years ago.
Just how any of these papers are relevant to the small professional practice here in the UK, which lets be honest make up the bulk of accountancy profession. I just can not see how any of this is going to be of use to me working in a small practice.
Furthermore I am beginning to think that ACCA are really just after making money from its members. On the current syllabus there are 3 what I would call financial reporting papers, 2 audit papers and 2 tax papers. Is this really necessary or purely a money grabbing exercise?
Whilst I already have professional qualifications and do want to become ACCA qualified, am I alone in thinking many of the exams we study are utterly pointless and wonder if this is really the best way to produce quality accountants.
What are the thoughts of others on their qualifications and how the exams relate to what they do on a day to basis?
- Deleted question? 726 19
- Accounts Question 91 4
- What are options for non CA firm 3,168 67
- Do I need a smartphone? 1,933 69
- MAAT vs ACCA 695 13
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 1,390 24
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,919 46
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 646 3
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 433 4
- VAT Return Errors 171 2
- Adjustment to previous self assessments 120 5
- inflation rate year on year 146 3
- Yorkshire Day 599 38
- Company valuation for IHT purposes 184 4
- Principal Private Residence relief on two semis knocked together 180 4
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 379 16
- Entrepreneurs relief sale of business to two different buyers?? 146 3
- SMP reclaimable by employer 292 7
- Agent help line - long queues? 237 4
- the umbrella scheme for PAYE 153 1
- Cancelled 468
- Cancelled 386
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 375
- Probiz 356
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 261
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 236
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 230
- More spam 183
- Does anyone have SCI unit contact details? 162
- Employee Benefit Trust 152