Accountancy firm - phase 2
I'm looking some advice from others who are building up their accountancy practices.
I set up my practice and went full time just over 4 years ago.
I set in mind the number of clients I felt I could manage on my own and am just about at that number now so I feel that phase 1 is complete.
I have still got spare capacity now but rather than take on any clients that approach me, I want to be a bit more selective and and proactive in looking for clients as so far (apart from the first few) the majority have come to me as referrals.
I have a lot of small clients who just need accounts and tax returns done each year and will do for ever until they hang up their tools/pens, etc.
I have a few larger clients that need bookkeeping, management accounts, payroll, VAT returns done and I feel that's the sort of client I need to attract. I'd rather have one larger one then 5 small ones, for instance.
Is there any reason why I can't write to local businesses (say from a directory) to offer my services or how else should I go about it as advertising in newspapers or Yellow Pages, etc doesn't seem to work round here. Network groups?
Also if somehow I do manage to get a few more larger clients, I may decide to get rid of some of the smaller ones, especially the slow payers. How do I do this without feeling guilty about leaving them in the lurch?
Finally I am not looking to take on staff but if I grow large enough I would be happy to subcontract work out but I don't see that for a few years yet and that would be the start of phase 3.
Any advise would be much appreciated.
- Moneysoft and People's Pension 716 12
- Can you help me spot errors? 139 2
- Direct debit entry query 108 3
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 1,096 18
- Client needs a UK tax residency certificate for Spanish tax authorities 34 1
- IT advisory questions? 370 10
- Homing sandwiches 747 16
- Acounting Courses 85 1
- Mileage allowance payment via payroll 101 2
- signature required 798 30
- Any constructive answers? Employment Support Allowance 308 6
- Stock Control System for Ecommerce Website 263 2
- Dividend Waiver and Settlement Legislation 85 1
- When to leave the VAT FRS 137 6
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 213 2
- Use of home query 390 7
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 304 7
- EU eservices VAT change imminent 539 11
- CIS software 196 5
- Small bus. accounting software with departments 160 4
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,287
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 844
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 536
- Digita Hosted Software 350
- Credit where credit's due....... 327
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 251
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 213
- TheTax Donut 209
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 177
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 156