Accountancy firm - phase 2
I'm looking some advice from others who are building up their accountancy practices.
I set up my practice and went full time just over 4 years ago.
I set in mind the number of clients I felt I could manage on my own and am just about at that number now so I feel that phase 1 is complete.
I have still got spare capacity now but rather than take on any clients that approach me, I want to be a bit more selective and and proactive in looking for clients as so far (apart from the first few) the majority have come to me as referrals.
I have a lot of small clients who just need accounts and tax returns done each year and will do for ever until they hang up their tools/pens, etc.
I have a few larger clients that need bookkeeping, management accounts, payroll, VAT returns done and I feel that's the sort of client I need to attract. I'd rather have one larger one then 5 small ones, for instance.
Is there any reason why I can't write to local businesses (say from a directory) to offer my services or how else should I go about it as advertising in newspapers or Yellow Pages, etc doesn't seem to work round here. Network groups?
Also if somehow I do manage to get a few more larger clients, I may decide to get rid of some of the smaller ones, especially the slow payers. How do I do this without feeling guilty about leaving them in the lurch?
Finally I am not looking to take on staff but if I grow large enough I would be happy to subcontract work out but I don't see that for a few years yet and that would be the start of phase 3.
Any advise would be much appreciated.
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 256 5
- See you all on the other side 455 6
- 12Pay 198 2
- dividends 239 2
- R&D 183 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,033 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 322 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 234 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 173 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 421 5
- Seeking a tax case 435 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 305 4
- Companies house strike off 256 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 219 2
- Moving to the cloud 655 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 178 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 788 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 165 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,012 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 370 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 529
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 400
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 357
- IRIS and FRS 102 333
- Capitalising Finance Lease 297
- USA help 295
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 255
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 254
- Capital gains on rental property 236
- Sage Coretime 220