Accountancy firm - phase 2
I'm looking some advice from others who are building up their accountancy practices.
I set up my practice and went full time just over 4 years ago.
I set in mind the number of clients I felt I could manage on my own and am just about at that number now so I feel that phase 1 is complete.
I have still got spare capacity now but rather than take on any clients that approach me, I want to be a bit more selective and and proactive in looking for clients as so far (apart from the first few) the majority have come to me as referrals.
I have a lot of small clients who just need accounts and tax returns done each year and will do for ever until they hang up their tools/pens, etc.
I have a few larger clients that need bookkeeping, management accounts, payroll, VAT returns done and I feel that's the sort of client I need to attract. I'd rather have one larger one then 5 small ones, for instance.
Is there any reason why I can't write to local businesses (say from a directory) to offer my services or how else should I go about it as advertising in newspapers or Yellow Pages, etc doesn't seem to work round here. Network groups?
Also if somehow I do manage to get a few more larger clients, I may decide to get rid of some of the smaller ones, especially the slow payers. How do I do this without feeling guilty about leaving them in the lurch?
Finally I am not looking to take on staff but if I grow large enough I would be happy to subcontract work out but I don't see that for a few years yet and that would be the start of phase 3.
Any advise would be much appreciated.
- Engagement letter 150 4
- Who can I refer leads to? 152 2
- Easiest and quickest way to reopen dissolved company, for the purposes of having access to funds in the bank account. 179 6
- Is a Mercedes Vito a van for tax purposes? 114 3
- Minutes & Dividend Vouchers 267 7
- How do you account in the VAT return for 270 4
- Abortive legal fees deductible on sale? 91 2
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 135 3
- Signing Accounts for Mortgage Reference 164 2
- Missing accountant! 1,367 6
- ACCA qualified but not enough 1,033 18
- Sage Import Data 152 3
- Australian dividend 95 1
- Wages paid into another persons bank account 483 9
- Private Healthcare Benefit In Kind 99 3
- Can a director pay for their childs tuition through the company 574 13
- updating shareholdings on companies house 78 1
- Spanish Tax Return 201 6
- Dividend Vouchers 226 3
- National Insurance. 254 2
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 420
- CTA study material 386
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 282
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 262
- Pre incorp expenses 237
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 212
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 205
- Slight twist on employment related securities 192
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 136
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 134