Accountancy firm - phase 2
I'm looking some advice from others who are building up their accountancy practices.
I set up my practice and went full time just over 4 years ago.
I set in mind the number of clients I felt I could manage on my own and am just about at that number now so I feel that phase 1 is complete.
I have still got spare capacity now but rather than take on any clients that approach me, I want to be a bit more selective and and proactive in looking for clients as so far (apart from the first few) the majority have come to me as referrals.
I have a lot of small clients who just need accounts and tax returns done each year and will do for ever until they hang up their tools/pens, etc.
I have a few larger clients that need bookkeeping, management accounts, payroll, VAT returns done and I feel that's the sort of client I need to attract. I'd rather have one larger one then 5 small ones, for instance.
Is there any reason why I can't write to local businesses (say from a directory) to offer my services or how else should I go about it as advertising in newspapers or Yellow Pages, etc doesn't seem to work round here. Network groups?
Also if somehow I do manage to get a few more larger clients, I may decide to get rid of some of the smaller ones, especially the slow payers. How do I do this without feeling guilty about leaving them in the lurch?
Finally I am not looking to take on staff but if I grow large enough I would be happy to subcontract work out but I don't see that for a few years yet and that would be the start of phase 3.
Any advise would be much appreciated.
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 25 1
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 114 10
- EIS/SEIS 115 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 243 1
- You know its over 109 2
- Cocaine anyone? 388 7
- TaxCalc Accounts production 380 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 380 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 632 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 503 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 524 4
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 52 1
- Personal pension 382 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 210 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,190 11
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 884 27
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 103 3
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,501 22
- Holding Company - Ltd or PLC? 306 4
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 274 1
- Hive up 479
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 442
- corporate hierarchy 421
- Advice - 259
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 216
- WWOOFers 208
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 197
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 186
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 168
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 164