Accountancy firm - phase 2
I'm looking some advice from others who are building up their accountancy practices.
I set up my practice and went full time just over 4 years ago.
I set in mind the number of clients I felt I could manage on my own and am just about at that number now so I feel that phase 1 is complete.
I have still got spare capacity now but rather than take on any clients that approach me, I want to be a bit more selective and and proactive in looking for clients as so far (apart from the first few) the majority have come to me as referrals.
I have a lot of small clients who just need accounts and tax returns done each year and will do for ever until they hang up their tools/pens, etc.
I have a few larger clients that need bookkeeping, management accounts, payroll, VAT returns done and I feel that's the sort of client I need to attract. I'd rather have one larger one then 5 small ones, for instance.
Is there any reason why I can't write to local businesses (say from a directory) to offer my services or how else should I go about it as advertising in newspapers or Yellow Pages, etc doesn't seem to work round here. Network groups?
Also if somehow I do manage to get a few more larger clients, I may decide to get rid of some of the smaller ones, especially the slow payers. How do I do this without feeling guilty about leaving them in the lurch?
Finally I am not looking to take on staff but if I grow large enough I would be happy to subcontract work out but I don't see that for a few years yet and that would be the start of phase 3.
Any advise would be much appreciated.
- Retrospective VAT Query 69 2
- property capital gains 380 4
- AMAP on borrowed car?? 146 6
- VAT joint margin scheme arrangement 56 1
- Chargeable Event - life insurance bond written in trust 105 2
- FHLs and Entrepreneurs Relief 267 8
- Client gets a penalty and being threatening! 812 9
- Tips on meals 547 5
- Private doctors - Ltd company vs partnership 1,321 15
- S.455 Tax again 439 9
- Overdrawn directors loans and insolvent winding up 155 3
- Closing down loss-making company 786 15
- Stumped - IHT 605 8
- Can any cloud accounting package cope with operating a Foreign Branch and UK Head Office? 137 1
- Overpaid In Employers NI - RTI EYU for hundreds of employees 492 3
- Entrepreneur relief and deduction of Amortisation of Goodwill Pre2002 402 14
- co-operatives & Societies 120 1
- HMRC having technical difficulties 1,228 20
- Xerocon 2016 1,485 40
- Website Content 475 6