Accountancy firm - phase 2
I'm looking some advice from others who are building up their accountancy practices.
I set up my practice and went full time just over 4 years ago.
I set in mind the number of clients I felt I could manage on my own and am just about at that number now so I feel that phase 1 is complete.
I have still got spare capacity now but rather than take on any clients that approach me, I want to be a bit more selective and and proactive in looking for clients as so far (apart from the first few) the majority have come to me as referrals.
I have a lot of small clients who just need accounts and tax returns done each year and will do for ever until they hang up their tools/pens, etc.
I have a few larger clients that need bookkeeping, management accounts, payroll, VAT returns done and I feel that's the sort of client I need to attract. I'd rather have one larger one then 5 small ones, for instance.
Is there any reason why I can't write to local businesses (say from a directory) to offer my services or how else should I go about it as advertising in newspapers or Yellow Pages, etc doesn't seem to work round here. Network groups?
Also if somehow I do manage to get a few more larger clients, I may decide to get rid of some of the smaller ones, especially the slow payers. How do I do this without feeling guilty about leaving them in the lurch?
Finally I am not looking to take on staff but if I grow large enough I would be happy to subcontract work out but I don't see that for a few years yet and that would be the start of phase 3.
Any advise would be much appreciated.
- Scottish independence - what happens to HMRC? 997 56
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 231 2
- Dental practice incorpration 102 1
- Audit rules 147 4
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 219 5
- Disengaging a client who uses our office as a registered office address 802 20
- Go Cardless 255 8
- business entertaining deductibility 117 1
- Self assessment tax arrears 115 2
- R & D 100 3
- Shareholder/Directors termination payments 69 1
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 106 2
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 148 3
- Payroll software with annual pay period? 140 1
- New Business Registration 209 5
- Hosted email exchange 128 4
- Excel formula for UK corporation tax including losses 145 1
- G P life time allowance 113 3
- Why will HMRC not code out my client's £1,730 underpayment for 12/13 370 11
- Bringing money to Uk 214 3
- Xtuple 500
- Qtac payroll for bureau 334
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 278
- Industrial & Provident Societies 275
- Mehjoo 219
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 216
- New strategic report 169
- Domain name sale and limited company 156
- South African Government Pension 153
- CIS schemes 147