Accountancy firm - phase 2
I'm looking some advice from others who are building up their accountancy practices.
I set up my practice and went full time just over 4 years ago.
I set in mind the number of clients I felt I could manage on my own and am just about at that number now so I feel that phase 1 is complete.
I have still got spare capacity now but rather than take on any clients that approach me, I want to be a bit more selective and and proactive in looking for clients as so far (apart from the first few) the majority have come to me as referrals.
I have a lot of small clients who just need accounts and tax returns done each year and will do for ever until they hang up their tools/pens, etc.
I have a few larger clients that need bookkeeping, management accounts, payroll, VAT returns done and I feel that's the sort of client I need to attract. I'd rather have one larger one then 5 small ones, for instance.
Is there any reason why I can't write to local businesses (say from a directory) to offer my services or how else should I go about it as advertising in newspapers or Yellow Pages, etc doesn't seem to work round here. Network groups?
Also if somehow I do manage to get a few more larger clients, I may decide to get rid of some of the smaller ones, especially the slow payers. How do I do this without feeling guilty about leaving them in the lurch?
Finally I am not looking to take on staff but if I grow large enough I would be happy to subcontract work out but I don't see that for a few years yet and that would be the start of phase 3.
Any advise would be much appreciated.
- Bench-marking software, any ideas? 319 6
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 741 9
- No Contact From Client - When to Disengage? 367 2
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 823 12
- Legal Fees Allowable in dispute 253 6
- Car benefit or not? 1,434 17
- Associate Dentist SD86 much higher than deductions 144 1
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 456 9
- HMRC site still hasn't updated for January SA filings 474 5
- Share capital - death of a shareholder 518 16
- Viewing folder contens en masse 232 6
- Auto Enrolment 131 1
- Not renewing AAT 886 11
- Company ceased trading 158 4
- Questions from Liquidator 2,142 22
- Casual Driver 420 6
- Email encryption 1,475 16
- New dividend taxation 759 4
- Another question on trusts and settlements 92 1
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,327 25
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 688
- Property letting & CAs 417
- 2015 tax year end 414
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 401
- FCA regulated company in a small group 356
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 332
- Costly Accounting Software contract 272
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 245
- DTA tie-breaker issue 231
- Directors' advances and credits 230