Accountancy firm - phase 2
I'm looking some advice from others who are building up their accountancy practices.
I set up my practice and went full time just over 4 years ago.
I set in mind the number of clients I felt I could manage on my own and am just about at that number now so I feel that phase 1 is complete.
I have still got spare capacity now but rather than take on any clients that approach me, I want to be a bit more selective and and proactive in looking for clients as so far (apart from the first few) the majority have come to me as referrals.
I have a lot of small clients who just need accounts and tax returns done each year and will do for ever until they hang up their tools/pens, etc.
I have a few larger clients that need bookkeeping, management accounts, payroll, VAT returns done and I feel that's the sort of client I need to attract. I'd rather have one larger one then 5 small ones, for instance.
Is there any reason why I can't write to local businesses (say from a directory) to offer my services or how else should I go about it as advertising in newspapers or Yellow Pages, etc doesn't seem to work round here. Network groups?
Also if somehow I do manage to get a few more larger clients, I may decide to get rid of some of the smaller ones, especially the slow payers. How do I do this without feeling guilty about leaving them in the lurch?
Finally I am not looking to take on staff but if I grow large enough I would be happy to subcontract work out but I don't see that for a few years yet and that would be the start of phase 3.
Any advise would be much appreciated.
- Director drawings 558 32
- Tax Returns for non residents 232 2
- Investment properties/freehold land 29 1
- Anybody still doing returns? 440 19
- Capital Loss 56 3
- HMRC filing meltdown? 781 25
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 642 14
- 'My colleague fills in his own Self Assessment" and he/she claims,x,y and z" 386 6
- no utr 180 7
- LLP formed in 2013 57 1
- client can't/won't pay 2,065 47
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 76 2
- Clothing 468 11
- Selling Capital Allowences from Self Employed to Ltd Buisness 205 8
- File Abbreviated LLP accounts online? 147 7
- Practice management 429 8
- Interest on pre-letting? 119 4
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 1,676 44
- Will simplified micro entities accounts result in loss of business ? 1,699 22
- Rent a room scheme query. 239 4
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 944
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 659
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 612
- Latest phishing scam 592
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 428
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 320
- Scratch Head 256
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 245
- Sabbatical payments 210
- Negligible Value Claim 188