Accountancy firm - phase 2
I'm looking some advice from others who are building up their accountancy practices.
I set up my practice and went full time just over 4 years ago.
I set in mind the number of clients I felt I could manage on my own and am just about at that number now so I feel that phase 1 is complete.
I have still got spare capacity now but rather than take on any clients that approach me, I want to be a bit more selective and and proactive in looking for clients as so far (apart from the first few) the majority have come to me as referrals.
I have a lot of small clients who just need accounts and tax returns done each year and will do for ever until they hang up their tools/pens, etc.
I have a few larger clients that need bookkeeping, management accounts, payroll, VAT returns done and I feel that's the sort of client I need to attract. I'd rather have one larger one then 5 small ones, for instance.
Is there any reason why I can't write to local businesses (say from a directory) to offer my services or how else should I go about it as advertising in newspapers or Yellow Pages, etc doesn't seem to work round here. Network groups?
Also if somehow I do manage to get a few more larger clients, I may decide to get rid of some of the smaller ones, especially the slow payers. How do I do this without feeling guilty about leaving them in the lurch?
Finally I am not looking to take on staff but if I grow large enough I would be happy to subcontract work out but I don't see that for a few years yet and that would be the start of phase 3.
Any advise would be much appreciated.
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 372 12
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 360 9
- Starting up in practice - safety net 267 8
- What password safe app does anyone recommend? 1,447 27
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,165 35
- Can Excel sheets be imported into Digita Accounts Production Posting Sheets? 121 1
- Director's current account - fuel costs and expenses 363 11
- How to avoid PAYE Registeration 248 4
- Rental property company 122 1
- Payroo Employer allowance query 271 8
- Enforcing A CCJ 390 7
- RTI 'Late Filing' & paying employees in arrears 176 1
- Reporting no P11d due when PAYE scheme closed by HMRC 5Apr2013 207 2
- Comapny valuation qualifications 153 2
- Ex Client from over 3 years ago 517 5
- Director's tax return 407 8
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 191 3
- Flat rate vat 252 2
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 204 5
- Coming in from the cold 409 3
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 826
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 574
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 442
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 322
- Free Tax Legislation? 296
- Director Loan account operation 276
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 264
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 261
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 240
- Paye procedures for CVA 182