Accountancy - A spiteful profession?
Constantly, I'm amazed by the high levels of malice, envy, jealously and sheer hatred for their clients displayed by the accountants who post comments on these pages.
Reports of tribunals finding against HMRC in favour of a tax payer often provoke a flurry of " I'm sure he probably was guilty" statements, or else bitterly jealous comments on the individual's wealth or class. You can also see this corrosive loathing of clients emerge during debates on the morality of tax avoidance ( perfectly legal by the way), and the plethora of calls for yet higher taxes be levied on rich and successful business people often for no other reason than " That'll teach 'em"
It is also clear from these comments that many accountants - far too many - regard themselves as vigilante gauleiters for HMRC, although I recognise that this may be due to an abnormally high level of petty minded individuals in the profession lusting after a semblance of power.
This is all very well, except for one thing: clients pay your fees. Despite token statements about " helping our business succeed" companies and wealthy individuals only employ accountants for one thing - to reduce their tax liability.Otherwise, we'd all simply hand our books over to HMRC and let them asses our liability - turfing all accountants onto the unemployment register.
So, my question is: instead of tying itself into knots while spouting pompous and pious nonsense, trying to find an imaginary line where tax avoidance becomes immoral, isn't it about time that the accountancy profession took a long hard look at its own culture ? Where is this toxic loathing for clients coming from ? What sort of people is the profession now attracting ? And most importantly of all, are these embittered and warped individuals damaging the reputation - and the earning potential - of the profession as a whole ?
- Real names 1,095 34
- Do I need to pay Capital Gain Tax 478 23
- What are the tax implications of employer paying my tuition fees? 82 1
- Company Secretarial Software 1,363 30
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 651 9
- Proceeds of Overseas Property Sale - Any Tax Implications 224 7
- Tools for conversion OST to PST files 65 1
- FRS to standard - check my understanding 123 2
- Tick & Bash Bristol 275 5
- What are options for non CA firm 1,569 19
- sole trader employing his girlfriend 1,955 17
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 1,936 11
- Can Sage 50 Forecasting work with Excel 2013 or Office 365 76 1
- What do "Former Contracted Out" rebates mean 115 1
- Downloads EU VAT from 1/1/15 162 4
- Are pre trading lossess able to be off set if the company does not trade? 106 2
- Accounting for VAT on an EU Acquisition 87 1
- Tax position re this lease? 162 2
- VAT on Training Courses 141 2
- No VAT apportionment on tools on hand at registration? 141 2
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 577
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 451
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 351
- IFA incorporation 335
- Sorry ignore me 316
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 274
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 267
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 258
- Cancelled 200
- property ownership between husband wife three taxpayers 170