Accountancy - A spiteful profession?
Constantly, I'm amazed by the high levels of malice, envy, jealously and sheer hatred for their clients displayed by the accountants who post comments on these pages.
Reports of tribunals finding against HMRC in favour of a tax payer often provoke a flurry of " I'm sure he probably was guilty" statements, or else bitterly jealous comments on the individual's wealth or class. You can also see this corrosive loathing of clients emerge during debates on the morality of tax avoidance ( perfectly legal by the way), and the plethora of calls for yet higher taxes be levied on rich and successful business people often for no other reason than " That'll teach 'em"
It is also clear from these comments that many accountants - far too many - regard themselves as vigilante gauleiters for HMRC, although I recognise that this may be due to an abnormally high level of petty minded individuals in the profession lusting after a semblance of power.
This is all very well, except for one thing: clients pay your fees. Despite token statements about " helping our business succeed" companies and wealthy individuals only employ accountants for one thing - to reduce their tax liability.Otherwise, we'd all simply hand our books over to HMRC and let them asses our liability - turfing all accountants onto the unemployment register.
So, my question is: instead of tying itself into knots while spouting pompous and pious nonsense, trying to find an imaginary line where tax avoidance becomes immoral, isn't it about time that the accountancy profession took a long hard look at its own culture ? Where is this toxic loathing for clients coming from ? What sort of people is the profession now attracting ? And most importantly of all, are these embittered and warped individuals damaging the reputation - and the earning potential - of the profession as a whole ?
- What do people do with signed accounts/engagement letters/tax returns? 70 2
- Overlap profit 277 6
- Moneysoft or Sage payroll with auto enrolment? 282 6
- RTI Payroll ID 2,040 25
- What is the correct Vat treatment and rate to use to record a business stay in a hotel in the EU? 78 1
- Payments on account 134 2
- Recurring Revenue/Costs occurred before registering, how do I handle this? 32 1
- What do your junior staff do? 486 7
- OMG HMRC !!!! Employ some ppl!! 593 12
- Keeping disastrous accounts 368 5
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 509 10
- VAT Exemptions for Dance Education 112 1
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,903 74
- In pratice using part time accountants 303 3
- On the high seas 96 1
- Entrepreneurs Relief Shares Received as Part of Divorce Settlement 133 2
- Spousal transfer and PPR 853 34
- Payroll question 140 2
- Where has Portia gone? 4,918 106
- Warning - "Central Register of Companies" con 236 3
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 846
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 442
- Sanzar 337
- How do you do it 332
- Digital marketing focus group 310
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 289
- Bed & Breakfast trade via Limited Company 204
- Fit for purpose 199
- new investor structure 195
- VAT Registration 178