Accountancy - A spiteful profession?
Constantly, I'm amazed by the high levels of malice, envy, jealously and sheer hatred for their clients displayed by the accountants who post comments on these pages.
Reports of tribunals finding against HMRC in favour of a tax payer often provoke a flurry of " I'm sure he probably was guilty" statements, or else bitterly jealous comments on the individual's wealth or class. You can also see this corrosive loathing of clients emerge during debates on the morality of tax avoidance ( perfectly legal by the way), and the plethora of calls for yet higher taxes be levied on rich and successful business people often for no other reason than " That'll teach 'em"
It is also clear from these comments that many accountants - far too many - regard themselves as vigilante gauleiters for HMRC, although I recognise that this may be due to an abnormally high level of petty minded individuals in the profession lusting after a semblance of power.
This is all very well, except for one thing: clients pay your fees. Despite token statements about " helping our business succeed" companies and wealthy individuals only employ accountants for one thing - to reduce their tax liability.Otherwise, we'd all simply hand our books over to HMRC and let them asses our liability - turfing all accountants onto the unemployment register.
So, my question is: instead of tying itself into knots while spouting pompous and pious nonsense, trying to find an imaginary line where tax avoidance becomes immoral, isn't it about time that the accountancy profession took a long hard look at its own culture ? Where is this toxic loathing for clients coming from ? What sort of people is the profession now attracting ? And most importantly of all, are these embittered and warped individuals damaging the reputation - and the earning potential - of the profession as a whole ?
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 236 8
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 432 8
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 190 1
- Share transfer question 308 16
- If you've had any issues posting: Please read this 539 10
- The stupidity continues 100 2
- New Employers Helpline 139 3
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 226 5
- Overlap relief 726 19
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,308 17
- Budget 2015 - take two 196 3
- CIS Contractor has not issued tax deduction certificate to client 193 4
- VAT Query 198 2
- Sacked my first client 671 14
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 420 9
- Accounts note disclosure - Directors 258 4
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,273 24
- Director needs to withdraw 45k lump sum from company 623 11
- Trades and deadlines 164 3
- How to pay national insurance 652 18
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 427
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 422
- WIP Software 288
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 284
- No payroll scheme in place 220
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 219
- Software recommendations 205
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 199
- Is there anything wrong with this? 189
- Uncommercial property business 172