Accountancy - A spiteful profession?
Constantly, I'm amazed by the high levels of malice, envy, jealously and sheer hatred for their clients displayed by the accountants who post comments on these pages.
Reports of tribunals finding against HMRC in favour of a tax payer often provoke a flurry of " I'm sure he probably was guilty" statements, or else bitterly jealous comments on the individual's wealth or class. You can also see this corrosive loathing of clients emerge during debates on the morality of tax avoidance ( perfectly legal by the way), and the plethora of calls for yet higher taxes be levied on rich and successful business people often for no other reason than " That'll teach 'em"
It is also clear from these comments that many accountants - far too many - regard themselves as vigilante gauleiters for HMRC, although I recognise that this may be due to an abnormally high level of petty minded individuals in the profession lusting after a semblance of power.
This is all very well, except for one thing: clients pay your fees. Despite token statements about " helping our business succeed" companies and wealthy individuals only employ accountants for one thing - to reduce their tax liability.Otherwise, we'd all simply hand our books over to HMRC and let them asses our liability - turfing all accountants onto the unemployment register.
So, my question is: instead of tying itself into knots while spouting pompous and pious nonsense, trying to find an imaginary line where tax avoidance becomes immoral, isn't it about time that the accountancy profession took a long hard look at its own culture ? Where is this toxic loathing for clients coming from ? What sort of people is the profession now attracting ? And most importantly of all, are these embittered and warped individuals damaging the reputation - and the earning potential - of the profession as a whole ?
- 31 Jan Procrastination Question: Computer Monitors 288 9
- Practice management 156 2
- Flat Conversion Allowance 66 1
- Watch out self-assessment scam e-mail 217 4
- Conversion from UK GAAP to IFRS 89 1
- IHT and cash gifts 76 1
- Childcare voucher schemes 139 7
- Clothing 181 4
- VAT registration transfer 158 3
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 588 30
- Sponsorship & VAT 90 1
- CT/CO'S HOUSE DATES ALLIGNMENT 120 2
- Director drawings 402 31
- IRIS opentax login problems?! 325 3
- Online Payroll with Auto Enrolment 103 1
- HMRC SA302s 211 3
- What does the "K" signify 438 7
- Director or self-employed 160 1
- The Copyright Licensing Agency 131 3
- Reporting foreign income in Self-Assessment Tax Return 144 3
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 909
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 614
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 581
- Latest phishing scam 534
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 380
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 349
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 282
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 201
- Capital allowances in first basis period 191
- Sabbatical payments 179