Accountancy - A spiteful profession?
Constantly, I'm amazed by the high levels of malice, envy, jealously and sheer hatred for their clients displayed by the accountants who post comments on these pages.
Reports of tribunals finding against HMRC in favour of a tax payer often provoke a flurry of " I'm sure he probably was guilty" statements, or else bitterly jealous comments on the individual's wealth or class. You can also see this corrosive loathing of clients emerge during debates on the morality of tax avoidance ( perfectly legal by the way), and the plethora of calls for yet higher taxes be levied on rich and successful business people often for no other reason than " That'll teach 'em"
It is also clear from these comments that many accountants - far too many - regard themselves as vigilante gauleiters for HMRC, although I recognise that this may be due to an abnormally high level of petty minded individuals in the profession lusting after a semblance of power.
This is all very well, except for one thing: clients pay your fees. Despite token statements about " helping our business succeed" companies and wealthy individuals only employ accountants for one thing - to reduce their tax liability.Otherwise, we'd all simply hand our books over to HMRC and let them asses our liability - turfing all accountants onto the unemployment register.
So, my question is: instead of tying itself into knots while spouting pompous and pious nonsense, trying to find an imaginary line where tax avoidance becomes immoral, isn't it about time that the accountancy profession took a long hard look at its own culture ? Where is this toxic loathing for clients coming from ? What sort of people is the profession now attracting ? And most importantly of all, are these embittered and warped individuals damaging the reputation - and the earning potential - of the profession as a whole ?
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 1,397 12
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,514 53
- claim fees with out without VAT? 60 1
- Anyone done ATT? 77 3
- saturday staff 257 3
- indexation factors 29 1
- VAT invoice 31 2
- Free accounts system for small business? 126 5
- Property Revaluation - Postings 32 1
- Vat on motor repairs 85 1
- Received a CIS invoice 145 3
- Payroll Software Recommendations 155 4
- Electronic v printed payslips 226 4
- Is anyone using micro entity accounts 951 13
- Directors Remuneration 2014/15 and NIC Allowance and Excel Spreadsheet 371 5
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 812 7
- Moving from Moneysoft to another payroll product 215 3
- Fee protection 1,018 20
- PPR Sanity Check 113 1
- Apologies for reposting this but first post was on Friday afternoon! 496 3
- Xtuple 574
- Qtac payroll for bureau 397
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 349
- Domain name sale and limited company 246
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 231
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 219
- Tax on damages received 194
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 189
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 156
- Accounts consolidation spreadsheet 151