Accountancy - A spiteful profession?
Constantly, I'm amazed by the high levels of malice, envy, jealously and sheer hatred for their clients displayed by the accountants who post comments on these pages.
Reports of tribunals finding against HMRC in favour of a tax payer often provoke a flurry of " I'm sure he probably was guilty" statements, or else bitterly jealous comments on the individual's wealth or class. You can also see this corrosive loathing of clients emerge during debates on the morality of tax avoidance ( perfectly legal by the way), and the plethora of calls for yet higher taxes be levied on rich and successful business people often for no other reason than " That'll teach 'em"
It is also clear from these comments that many accountants - far too many - regard themselves as vigilante gauleiters for HMRC, although I recognise that this may be due to an abnormally high level of petty minded individuals in the profession lusting after a semblance of power.
This is all very well, except for one thing: clients pay your fees. Despite token statements about " helping our business succeed" companies and wealthy individuals only employ accountants for one thing - to reduce their tax liability.Otherwise, we'd all simply hand our books over to HMRC and let them asses our liability - turfing all accountants onto the unemployment register.
So, my question is: instead of tying itself into knots while spouting pompous and pious nonsense, trying to find an imaginary line where tax avoidance becomes immoral, isn't it about time that the accountancy profession took a long hard look at its own culture ? Where is this toxic loathing for clients coming from ? What sort of people is the profession now attracting ? And most importantly of all, are these embittered and warped individuals damaging the reputation - and the earning potential - of the profession as a whole ?
- what time is it ? 50 1
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 246 9
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,047 14
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 236 8
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 666 19
- Tax Return Deadlines 219 4
- Year end 152 2
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 569 21
- How would you account for warranty? 155 4
- LLP - Member leaving 131 5
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 396 22
- Sweet Tooth 182 6
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 177 2
- trading or dormant 115 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 120 1
- tax credits 135 5
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 568 11
- Can rental income ever be trading income? 275 3
- Benefit In Kind Accommodation 121 1
- Foreign income for self employed 138 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 876
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 518
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 330
- How to format a stock book 312
- Tax efficient holding company structure 245
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 241
- Investment property company accounts template 225
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 219
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 191
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 166