Is an accountant liable for not incorporating my business?
Hi, I asked my previous accountant 3 times whether i should be a sole trader or a limited company. The first time when i set up my business in July (by this time my PAYE from my previous job for the tax year in question was already close to the 40% tax bracket). The 3rd/last time I asked (a few months later in the same tax year) was when my total earnings for the tax year had reached 6 figures. My business, costs and trading were fully known by my accountant and they had committed in writing to making my income tax as efficient as possible. I was finally incorporated in late January of the last tax year - 6 months after setting up my business and after generating a 6 figure total income for the tax year to that date.
This is not a 'kick the accountant' question. More a genuine desire to know whether the accountant (by not providing any information on the risks/benefits of sole trader versus limited company status when asked 3 times which was the most efficient status - and by stating in writing that they were on top of my accounts and would make my accounts tax-efficient) was potentially negligent in their advice and action? The accountant had committed in writing to taking care of all communication and interaction with HMRC and had stated in writing that they would minimise my income tax. I changed accountants last year as I felt I could not get proper answers.
My new accountant has just completed my sole trader accounts and self assessment and, as a consultant with relatively low costs, I now have notable excess profit liable to tax at 40%
My new accountant has stated that a limited company would have been far more beneficial to me tax-wise and that the decision not to incorporate will result in tens of thousands of pounds additional tax payment.
Am i being unreasonable in expecting to have a case to seek some form of financial redress? Or is it simply a case of you win some, you lose some when it comes to accounting advice? Note my accountant is ACCA accredited.
- Did Mandela Do Enough For the Black South Africans? 35 1
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,265 16
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,313 57
- Have i messed up? 165 6
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 451 26
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 222 1
- End of the party for dividends? 1,127 18
- How to format a stock book 348 1
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,343 31
- Disposal of property 79 2
- Tax liability of sole trader changing to partnership 119 1
- Website - Any guess on their business ... 177 2
- trading or dormant 192 4
- do I have to pay NI? 127 2
- Matching of tax return to P60 240 5
- Can you get tax deduction for legal fees on sale of debtors 200 7
- Tax Return Deadlines 316 5
- what time is it ? 500 5
- VAT chargeable or not? 153 3
- find-accountants.com 299 3
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 950
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 533
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 344
- Tax efficient holding company structure 271
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 258
- Investment property company accounts template 237
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 205
- Charge out rates in London? 173
- Personal consumption by landlord 156
- Interest on Loan to a Company 154