Is an accountant liable for not incorporating my business?
Hi, I asked my previous accountant 3 times whether i should be a sole trader or a limited company. The first time when i set up my business in July (by this time my PAYE from my previous job for the tax year in question was already close to the 40% tax bracket). The 3rd/last time I asked (a few months later in the same tax year) was when my total earnings for the tax year had reached 6 figures. My business, costs and trading were fully known by my accountant and they had committed in writing to making my income tax as efficient as possible. I was finally incorporated in late January of the last tax year - 6 months after setting up my business and after generating a 6 figure total income for the tax year to that date.
This is not a 'kick the accountant' question. More a genuine desire to know whether the accountant (by not providing any information on the risks/benefits of sole trader versus limited company status when asked 3 times which was the most efficient status - and by stating in writing that they were on top of my accounts and would make my accounts tax-efficient) was potentially negligent in their advice and action? The accountant had committed in writing to taking care of all communication and interaction with HMRC and had stated in writing that they would minimise my income tax. I changed accountants last year as I felt I could not get proper answers.
My new accountant has just completed my sole trader accounts and self assessment and, as a consultant with relatively low costs, I now have notable excess profit liable to tax at 40%
My new accountant has stated that a limited company would have been far more beneficial to me tax-wise and that the decision not to incorporate will result in tens of thousands of pounds additional tax payment.
Am i being unreasonable in expecting to have a case to seek some form of financial redress? Or is it simply a case of you win some, you lose some when it comes to accounting advice? Note my accountant is ACCA accredited.
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 614 14
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 993 48
- Tier One Tribunal 251 12
- Money Laundering and handover 110 1
- Does a UK LTD pay Corporation Tax before sending dividend to Holding Company? 155 3
- New starter error how to correct 116 2
- Tax implication giving money to friend (not family) 257 4
- Summer house for business only 234 2
- Taxi Plate & Car 203 5
- Dividends out of profit where P&L bfwd is in deficit 186 4
- SA316s 254 4
- Director with lots of personal expenses 137 2
- LEL and PAYE registration 142 2
- Filing amended tax return 149 1
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 855 26
- Prompt Payment Discount (PPD) Vat 2015 - CREDIT PRIOR INVOICE 127 1
- Pooled cars legislation unfairly punitive 151 2
- New starter not showing on RTI FPS submission (MoneySoft payroll) 271 5
- Working in Iraq, how to treat the income 183 2
- Another transfer of property 172 2
- Construction CIS LLP Company 615
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 601
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 390
- Pensions Regulator 360
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 298
- RTI - duplicate employee record 273
- Using the correct forms 272
- SA penalty proposals 261
- Accelerated payment notices 241
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 240