Is an accountant liable for not incorporating my business?
Hi, I asked my previous accountant 3 times whether i should be a sole trader or a limited company. The first time when i set up my business in July (by this time my PAYE from my previous job for the tax year in question was already close to the 40% tax bracket). The 3rd/last time I asked (a few months later in the same tax year) was when my total earnings for the tax year had reached 6 figures. My business, costs and trading were fully known by my accountant and they had committed in writing to making my income tax as efficient as possible. I was finally incorporated in late January of the last tax year - 6 months after setting up my business and after generating a 6 figure total income for the tax year to that date.
This is not a 'kick the accountant' question. More a genuine desire to know whether the accountant (by not providing any information on the risks/benefits of sole trader versus limited company status when asked 3 times which was the most efficient status - and by stating in writing that they were on top of my accounts and would make my accounts tax-efficient) was potentially negligent in their advice and action? The accountant had committed in writing to taking care of all communication and interaction with HMRC and had stated in writing that they would minimise my income tax. I changed accountants last year as I felt I could not get proper answers.
My new accountant has just completed my sole trader accounts and self assessment and, as a consultant with relatively low costs, I now have notable excess profit liable to tax at 40%
My new accountant has stated that a limited company would have been far more beneficial to me tax-wise and that the decision not to incorporate will result in tens of thousands of pounds additional tax payment.
Am i being unreasonable in expecting to have a case to seek some form of financial redress? Or is it simply a case of you win some, you lose some when it comes to accounting advice? Note my accountant is ACCA accredited.
- Dividend payment date 1,866 33
- Hollyoaks cast - changes due to Social Security Regulations 2,683 18
- Garage Conversion -Ltd Company Office 110 2
- Proceeds of Overseas Property Sale - Any Tax Implications 123 5
- Director hired as an individual 59 2
- Real names 514 20
- VAT charge needed on van sale? 86 2
- Company Secretarial Software 1,274 27
- Agricultural Land Hold Over and Roll Over 80 2
- Legal Advice Needed Bank Account Blocked 188 2
- Taxfiler - is it really good? 167 6
- Tax relief on licence costs 111 1
- Who owns the data 210 3
- Clarification over - VAT Box 8 - Flat rate scheme 149 5
- Sole Trader Fees 111 1
- Loan interest rental property 190 5
- Theatre as charitable company 45 1
- Peer to Peer lending 133 5
- What's the plural? 667 14
- Well well well 254 2
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 569
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 431
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 332
- IFA incorporation 307
- Mortgage interest claim on Buy to let hic up 299
- Can the receivers fees be allowed for tax? 288
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 249
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 237
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 227
- Sorry ignore me 221