Is an accountant liable for not incorporating my business?
Hi, I asked my previous accountant 3 times whether i should be a sole trader or a limited company. The first time when i set up my business in July (by this time my PAYE from my previous job for the tax year in question was already close to the 40% tax bracket). The 3rd/last time I asked (a few months later in the same tax year) was when my total earnings for the tax year had reached 6 figures. My business, costs and trading were fully known by my accountant and they had committed in writing to making my income tax as efficient as possible. I was finally incorporated in late January of the last tax year - 6 months after setting up my business and after generating a 6 figure total income for the tax year to that date.
This is not a 'kick the accountant' question. More a genuine desire to know whether the accountant (by not providing any information on the risks/benefits of sole trader versus limited company status when asked 3 times which was the most efficient status - and by stating in writing that they were on top of my accounts and would make my accounts tax-efficient) was potentially negligent in their advice and action? The accountant had committed in writing to taking care of all communication and interaction with HMRC and had stated in writing that they would minimise my income tax. I changed accountants last year as I felt I could not get proper answers.
My new accountant has just completed my sole trader accounts and self assessment and, as a consultant with relatively low costs, I now have notable excess profit liable to tax at 40%
My new accountant has stated that a limited company would have been far more beneficial to me tax-wise and that the decision not to incorporate will result in tens of thousands of pounds additional tax payment.
Am i being unreasonable in expecting to have a case to seek some form of financial redress? Or is it simply a case of you win some, you lose some when it comes to accounting advice? Note my accountant is ACCA accredited.
- Investment from Friend 186 10
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 929 39
- Receipt bank 348 8
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 637 24
- Trading lossess & non trading co & investment income 45 1
- Do we have to register for VAT? 487 10
- Self Assessment and P11D 155 4
- Director remuneration £1000 only in year. paye registration required? 342 4
- Company dividends 549 15
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 190 5
- Directors Salary and Self Assessment (PAYE) 87 1
- Tax Penalty overreaction 2,179 15
- Two weeks grace on self assessment where repayment is due? 168 2
- TRONC scheme 106 1
- Advice on letting a client go ? 714 13
- Capital Gains Relief 165 5
- client can't/won't pay 1,615 29
- Identity check problem 1,272 13
- A Director of a Ltd Company let a general Manager run the company, and if anything goes wrong the general manager is responsible? 217 3
- Business Set up cost 116 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 881
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 582
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 545
- Latest phishing scam 479
- Entrepreneurs' relief 427
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 350
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 325
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 249
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 247
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 170