Is an accountant liable for not incorporating my business?
Hi, I asked my previous accountant 3 times whether i should be a sole trader or a limited company. The first time when i set up my business in July (by this time my PAYE from my previous job for the tax year in question was already close to the 40% tax bracket). The 3rd/last time I asked (a few months later in the same tax year) was when my total earnings for the tax year had reached 6 figures. My business, costs and trading were fully known by my accountant and they had committed in writing to making my income tax as efficient as possible. I was finally incorporated in late January of the last tax year - 6 months after setting up my business and after generating a 6 figure total income for the tax year to that date.
This is not a 'kick the accountant' question. More a genuine desire to know whether the accountant (by not providing any information on the risks/benefits of sole trader versus limited company status when asked 3 times which was the most efficient status - and by stating in writing that they were on top of my accounts and would make my accounts tax-efficient) was potentially negligent in their advice and action? The accountant had committed in writing to taking care of all communication and interaction with HMRC and had stated in writing that they would minimise my income tax. I changed accountants last year as I felt I could not get proper answers.
My new accountant has just completed my sole trader accounts and self assessment and, as a consultant with relatively low costs, I now have notable excess profit liable to tax at 40%
My new accountant has stated that a limited company would have been far more beneficial to me tax-wise and that the decision not to incorporate will result in tens of thousands of pounds additional tax payment.
Am i being unreasonable in expecting to have a case to seek some form of financial redress? Or is it simply a case of you win some, you lose some when it comes to accounting advice? Note my accountant is ACCA accredited.
- Director appointment not valid - any observations? 115 7
- Settlement discount 82 4
- Homing sandwiches 399 10
- CT600 64 2
- signature required 464 21
- Director Personal Bank Account in company's books 493 9
- How do I undo the work of a Macro in Excel 165 5
- A number of Clearbooks VAT return issues! 155 2
- VAT on hotel payments received in advance 103 2
- Pratice Management Software 74 1
- Norwegian p45, which UK Tax return does it go into 197 10
- Left UK in 2006 but did not declare rental income since 2009 112 1
- VAT rate charged by surveyor 180 2
- Related Party Transactions 106 2
- UK resident receiving USA pension 97 1
- EU eservices VAT change imminent 465 9
- Sage payroll alternatives 756 13
- More AE! 761 17
- Web sites 247 3
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 609 13
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,236
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 810
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 516
- Digita Hosted Software 334
- Credit where credit's due....... 307
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 235
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 188
- TheTax Donut 178
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 157
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 156