Is an accountant liable for not incorporating my business?
Hi, I asked my previous accountant 3 times whether i should be a sole trader or a limited company. The first time when i set up my business in July (by this time my PAYE from my previous job for the tax year in question was already close to the 40% tax bracket). The 3rd/last time I asked (a few months later in the same tax year) was when my total earnings for the tax year had reached 6 figures. My business, costs and trading were fully known by my accountant and they had committed in writing to making my income tax as efficient as possible. I was finally incorporated in late January of the last tax year - 6 months after setting up my business and after generating a 6 figure total income for the tax year to that date.
This is not a 'kick the accountant' question. More a genuine desire to know whether the accountant (by not providing any information on the risks/benefits of sole trader versus limited company status when asked 3 times which was the most efficient status - and by stating in writing that they were on top of my accounts and would make my accounts tax-efficient) was potentially negligent in their advice and action? The accountant had committed in writing to taking care of all communication and interaction with HMRC and had stated in writing that they would minimise my income tax. I changed accountants last year as I felt I could not get proper answers.
My new accountant has just completed my sole trader accounts and self assessment and, as a consultant with relatively low costs, I now have notable excess profit liable to tax at 40%
My new accountant has stated that a limited company would have been far more beneficial to me tax-wise and that the decision not to incorporate will result in tens of thousands of pounds additional tax payment.
Am i being unreasonable in expecting to have a case to seek some form of financial redress? Or is it simply a case of you win some, you lose some when it comes to accounting advice? Note my accountant is ACCA accredited.
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 31 1
- SA302 237 4
- Hosted email exchange 159 5
- South African Government Pension 170 1
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 144 3
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 227 4
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 284 13
- Prefer to start accepting Online Card Payments 149 1
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 227 7
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 135 3
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 267 7
- New Email Extensions 163 1
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 288 2
- Dental practice incorpration 141 1
- Audit rules 169 4
- Go Cardless 294 8
- business entertaining deductibility 162 1
- Self assessment tax arrears 204 2
- R & D 113 3
- Shareholder/Directors termination payments 97 1
- Xtuple 503
- Qtac payroll for bureau 338
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 287
- Industrial & Provident Societies 279
- Mehjoo 224
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 223
- Domain name sale and limited company 165
- CIS schemes 156
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 153
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 143