Is an accountant liable for not incorporating my business?
Hi, I asked my previous accountant 3 times whether i should be a sole trader or a limited company. The first time when i set up my business in July (by this time my PAYE from my previous job for the tax year in question was already close to the 40% tax bracket). The 3rd/last time I asked (a few months later in the same tax year) was when my total earnings for the tax year had reached 6 figures. My business, costs and trading were fully known by my accountant and they had committed in writing to making my income tax as efficient as possible. I was finally incorporated in late January of the last tax year - 6 months after setting up my business and after generating a 6 figure total income for the tax year to that date.
This is not a 'kick the accountant' question. More a genuine desire to know whether the accountant (by not providing any information on the risks/benefits of sole trader versus limited company status when asked 3 times which was the most efficient status - and by stating in writing that they were on top of my accounts and would make my accounts tax-efficient) was potentially negligent in their advice and action? The accountant had committed in writing to taking care of all communication and interaction with HMRC and had stated in writing that they would minimise my income tax. I changed accountants last year as I felt I could not get proper answers.
My new accountant has just completed my sole trader accounts and self assessment and, as a consultant with relatively low costs, I now have notable excess profit liable to tax at 40%
My new accountant has stated that a limited company would have been far more beneficial to me tax-wise and that the decision not to incorporate will result in tens of thousands of pounds additional tax payment.
Am i being unreasonable in expecting to have a case to seek some form of financial redress? Or is it simply a case of you win some, you lose some when it comes to accounting advice? Note my accountant is ACCA accredited.
- How much did you pay for your website 1,214 22
- Dispensing with accounting periods, with nested ledgers. 216 4
- Fastest Software 654 11
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 110 1
- Where did it go? 250 2
- cancellation of Engagement 144 2
- Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme Charges 88 1
- Feuding directors 253 8
- VAT Registration for Building Company 104 2
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 495 12
- Vat threshold issues 1,901 14
- Company Accounts - Limited company 609 5
- Use of Home for Sole Trader 237 4
- Vodaphone Share Scheme 103 1
- Benefit fraud 3,422 49
- SA Tax Returns 157 3
- Agent Change of Postal Address 150 2
- Consolidated accounts 133 2
- On line petition re HMRC grabbing money from taxpayer bank accounts 1,025 24
- How to deal with a prior year CT adjustment 357 12
- CTA study material 651
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 394
- Employment related securities question 247
- ATED Penalties 221
- AIM Stocks and IHT 202
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 171
- Trust for Employee 155
- Expat pension contributions? 150
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 135
- Capital allowances 123