Accounting and tax clearance for deferred company own share purchase
I have a client who has a historical holding / trading company arangement and now wishes for the holding company to purchase the shares of a departing shareholder but on a deferred payment basis.This is for cash flow reasons.
Holding company has 3 shareholders, one of which wishes to sell his 3 shares and the remaining shareholders are doing this via a Company purchase of own shares. The selling shareholder does qualify for this treatment.
The Holding company does not trade but receives Dividends from the 100% Subsidiary to pass on to the Shareholders.
The Agreement is that the 3 Shares are purchased now, beneficially, by the Holding Company for £50,000 per share but the Company will actually pay the departing shareholder £50,000 on the date of signing the sale agreement, £50,000 within the next 2 years and the remaining £50,000 within 3 years.
The subsidiary has sufficient distributable reserves to declare a Dividend for the full 3 shares but I am not sure of the Accounting treatment required here - I am not sure that the Subsidiary can vote a Dividend for £50,000 to the Hoding company now and in the next 2 years Accounts declare further £50,000 Dividends or whether it must declare a Dividend for the full 3 shares and £150,000 now. If the latter, then the Subsidiary has not the funds to pay the full consideration so can it be shown as a Debtor in the Accounts for the remaining £100,000.
Finally, I am preparing a Clearance application to HMRC for this transaction. I am not sure whether this will be granted or whether this transaction will be treated as a Distribution.
Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.
- CGT history of shares 174 4
- Director Expenses and P11D but no PAYE scheme in place 132 5
- Client Entertainment to get new business or referral as opposed to say thanks 163 3
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 330 6
- CGT on sale of let property 107 2
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 173 2
- how do i get UTR 133 3
- Input VAT suffered in EU 83 2
- Is there any good reading I can obtain to do self assesment on partnerships? 233 3
- A round of applause please for winner of BITCH OF THE 405 11
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 123 1
- Your comments please 312 6
- VAT on Royal Mail Parcel Services 188 9
- CT600 deadline & shortened year end 119 2
- EIS 196 4
- Income Splitting - form 17 and DoT 123 1
- Charity requirements to report ALL I&E in accounts 114 2
- Transfer of Software to sister company 123 1
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 724 14
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 202 1
- Moving away from CCH software 966
- QROP pension input amounts 450
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 394
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 380
- fraud 303
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 276
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 243
- Construction CIS LLP Company 228
- EPS and CIS deductions 221
- Out of time or not? 207