Accounting and tax clearance for deferred company own share purchase
I have a client who has a historical holding / trading company arangement and now wishes for the holding company to purchase the shares of a departing shareholder but on a deferred payment basis.This is for cash flow reasons.
Holding company has 3 shareholders, one of which wishes to sell his 3 shares and the remaining shareholders are doing this via a Company purchase of own shares. The selling shareholder does qualify for this treatment.
The Holding company does not trade but receives Dividends from the 100% Subsidiary to pass on to the Shareholders.
The Agreement is that the 3 Shares are purchased now, beneficially, by the Holding Company for £50,000 per share but the Company will actually pay the departing shareholder £50,000 on the date of signing the sale agreement, £50,000 within the next 2 years and the remaining £50,000 within 3 years.
The subsidiary has sufficient distributable reserves to declare a Dividend for the full 3 shares but I am not sure of the Accounting treatment required here - I am not sure that the Subsidiary can vote a Dividend for £50,000 to the Hoding company now and in the next 2 years Accounts declare further £50,000 Dividends or whether it must declare a Dividend for the full 3 shares and £150,000 now. If the latter, then the Subsidiary has not the funds to pay the full consideration so can it be shown as a Debtor in the Accounts for the remaining £100,000.
Finally, I am preparing a Clearance application to HMRC for this transaction. I am not sure whether this will be granted or whether this transaction will be treated as a Distribution.
Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.
- Missing accountant! 609 4
- Property Development 335 8
- Spanish Tax Return 90 4
- PAYE Refund Farce At HMRC 439 6
- Invoicing clients System? 280 6
- VAT on land sale 200 7
- Loss on cessation of sole trade 199 5
- Free Agent - Payments on Account 404 11
- MAAT vs ACCA 2,088 39
- Director self assessment 246 15
- Directors and unemployment benefit 195 10
- Which address 190 8
- Sale of overseas home on return to UK 101 2
- Donaldson v HMRC - result?? 453 6
- Supply to Irish State Body 241 3
- Have I made a mistake... 574 4
- Wear & Tear Allowances 352 8
- Tax relief for Director incurring business expenses on his credit card 255 3
- How to tell HMRC Limited Co. is active 302 6
- What should the partnership dissolution look like, and what is accounting treatment for goodwill? 89 3
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 409
- CTA study material 365
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 274
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 253
- new capital structure ltd with investors 207
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 204
- Pre incorp expenses 202
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 185
- Slight twist on employment related securities 174
- Accommodation provided to employees for short term contract away from home 159