Accounting and tax clearance for deferred company own share purchase
I have a client who has a historical holding / trading company arangement and now wishes for the holding company to purchase the shares of a departing shareholder but on a deferred payment basis.This is for cash flow reasons.
Holding company has 3 shareholders, one of which wishes to sell his 3 shares and the remaining shareholders are doing this via a Company purchase of own shares. The selling shareholder does qualify for this treatment.
The Holding company does not trade but receives Dividends from the 100% Subsidiary to pass on to the Shareholders.
The Agreement is that the 3 Shares are purchased now, beneficially, by the Holding Company for £50,000 per share but the Company will actually pay the departing shareholder £50,000 on the date of signing the sale agreement, £50,000 within the next 2 years and the remaining £50,000 within 3 years.
The subsidiary has sufficient distributable reserves to declare a Dividend for the full 3 shares but I am not sure of the Accounting treatment required here - I am not sure that the Subsidiary can vote a Dividend for £50,000 to the Hoding company now and in the next 2 years Accounts declare further £50,000 Dividends or whether it must declare a Dividend for the full 3 shares and £150,000 now. If the latter, then the Subsidiary has not the funds to pay the full consideration so can it be shown as a Debtor in the Accounts for the remaining £100,000.
Finally, I am preparing a Clearance application to HMRC for this transaction. I am not sure whether this will be granted or whether this transaction will be treated as a Distribution.
Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.
- Previous accountant filed dormant accounts in error 315 3
- Unclaimed amortisation of goodwill 208 6
- Shareholder agreement 216 5
- Reverse charge - do you always book it? 138 3
- VAT - time of supply 60 2
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 317 3
- Top slicing relief question 104 1
- Let Property Campaign & DO2 99 1
- Regaining my qualification 297 3
- Scoot 251 5
- Remittances 125 1
- Import Sales Invoices into Sage Instant 116 1
- Is our client doing anything wrong? 225 1
- Corporation tax due date confusion 144 2
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,523 21
- Accountants' Error 806 16
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 175 5
- ICPA taxwise fee protection 179 3
- Zero Rated VAT on New Building 182 2
- Tax code for Companies House fees 242 3
- Skandia using wrong address 1,461
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 778
- Any views 709
- HMRC Employers Diary 528
- International interest certificate 428
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 397
- Sale of business 360
- NOVA 265
- Advertising services? 263
- IRIS Open Books problem 256