Accounting and tax clearance for deferred company own share purchase
I have a client who has a historical holding / trading company arangement and now wishes for the holding company to purchase the shares of a departing shareholder but on a deferred payment basis.This is for cash flow reasons.
Holding company has 3 shareholders, one of which wishes to sell his 3 shares and the remaining shareholders are doing this via a Company purchase of own shares. The selling shareholder does qualify for this treatment.
The Holding company does not trade but receives Dividends from the 100% Subsidiary to pass on to the Shareholders.
The Agreement is that the 3 Shares are purchased now, beneficially, by the Holding Company for £50,000 per share but the Company will actually pay the departing shareholder £50,000 on the date of signing the sale agreement, £50,000 within the next 2 years and the remaining £50,000 within 3 years.
The subsidiary has sufficient distributable reserves to declare a Dividend for the full 3 shares but I am not sure of the Accounting treatment required here - I am not sure that the Subsidiary can vote a Dividend for £50,000 to the Hoding company now and in the next 2 years Accounts declare further £50,000 Dividends or whether it must declare a Dividend for the full 3 shares and £150,000 now. If the latter, then the Subsidiary has not the funds to pay the full consideration so can it be shown as a Debtor in the Accounts for the remaining £100,000.
Finally, I am preparing a Clearance application to HMRC for this transaction. I am not sure whether this will be granted or whether this transaction will be treated as a Distribution.
Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 209 5
- New supplier 101 3
- How to complain about HMRC 1,625 18
- What font do you prefer to use for correspondence? 68 4
- PITA ex-client 115 8
- Tax on free shares 19 1
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 321 8
- Audit 397 13
- Can I contribute to SIPP if I pay no salary/dividend from ltd company 295 4
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 816 22
- PPR relief and half hectare rule 67 2
- Capital allowances on a 3G Pitch 228 13
- Scottish Independance 866 24
- Funding Circle experience 57 1
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 695 20
- Awkward IP 1,494 16
- Sage 50 cost centre limitations 53 2
- Buying a horse?? 315 9
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,137 12
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 978 11
- CTA study material 792
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 489
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 442
- Employment related securities question 316
- AIM Stocks and IHT 294
- Expat pension contributions? 275
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 272
- Trust for Employee 252
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 214
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 155