Accounting and tax clearance for deferred company own share purchase
I have a client who has a historical holding / trading company arangement and now wishes for the holding company to purchase the shares of a departing shareholder but on a deferred payment basis.This is for cash flow reasons.
Holding company has 3 shareholders, one of which wishes to sell his 3 shares and the remaining shareholders are doing this via a Company purchase of own shares. The selling shareholder does qualify for this treatment.
The Holding company does not trade but receives Dividends from the 100% Subsidiary to pass on to the Shareholders.
The Agreement is that the 3 Shares are purchased now, beneficially, by the Holding Company for £50,000 per share but the Company will actually pay the departing shareholder £50,000 on the date of signing the sale agreement, £50,000 within the next 2 years and the remaining £50,000 within 3 years.
The subsidiary has sufficient distributable reserves to declare a Dividend for the full 3 shares but I am not sure of the Accounting treatment required here - I am not sure that the Subsidiary can vote a Dividend for £50,000 to the Hoding company now and in the next 2 years Accounts declare further £50,000 Dividends or whether it must declare a Dividend for the full 3 shares and £150,000 now. If the latter, then the Subsidiary has not the funds to pay the full consideration so can it be shown as a Debtor in the Accounts for the remaining £100,000.
Finally, I am preparing a Clearance application to HMRC for this transaction. I am not sure whether this will be granted or whether this transaction will be treated as a Distribution.
Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.
- Auto enrolment for one or two director companies 1,881 29
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 412 24
- PayPal Transaction Analysis 227 5
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 740 27
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,858 64
- Working out a daily rate 90 5
- Auto enrolment 1,199 13
- Payroll dates 96 5
- VAT reports on trade debtors and trade creditors 274 8
- Withholding of tax 78 1
- missing 921 20
- Self-employed b/f losses 145 3
- Santander Scrip Dividend Scheme 87 1
- are receipts needed? 136 4
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 506 16
- sole trader - operating under cis 191 4
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 157 7
- Partnership merger 84 1
- Know it alls (who don't) 856 19
- VAT on motor expenses 999 36
- Skandia using wrong address 1,570
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 868
- International interest certificate 478
- NOVA 335
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 246
- Management expenses for investment company 228
- Bonus Bonds 225
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 216
- Help with tax codes on Sage 169
- Capital reduction 160