Accounting and tax clearance for deferred company own share purchase
I have a client who has a historical holding / trading company arangement and now wishes for the holding company to purchase the shares of a departing shareholder but on a deferred payment basis.This is for cash flow reasons.
Holding company has 3 shareholders, one of which wishes to sell his 3 shares and the remaining shareholders are doing this via a Company purchase of own shares. The selling shareholder does qualify for this treatment.
The Holding company does not trade but receives Dividends from the 100% Subsidiary to pass on to the Shareholders.
The Agreement is that the 3 Shares are purchased now, beneficially, by the Holding Company for £50,000 per share but the Company will actually pay the departing shareholder £50,000 on the date of signing the sale agreement, £50,000 within the next 2 years and the remaining £50,000 within 3 years.
The subsidiary has sufficient distributable reserves to declare a Dividend for the full 3 shares but I am not sure of the Accounting treatment required here - I am not sure that the Subsidiary can vote a Dividend for £50,000 to the Hoding company now and in the next 2 years Accounts declare further £50,000 Dividends or whether it must declare a Dividend for the full 3 shares and £150,000 now. If the latter, then the Subsidiary has not the funds to pay the full consideration so can it be shown as a Debtor in the Accounts for the remaining £100,000.
Finally, I am preparing a Clearance application to HMRC for this transaction. I am not sure whether this will be granted or whether this transaction will be treated as a Distribution.
Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.
- Is this acceptable advice for limited co 1,061 29
- paid or unpaid - who knows! 427 8
- Does anyone know how to deal with crowd funding income 210 6
- VAT silly question 2,263 51
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 162 6
- Classic cars investment 152 4
- Ceasing to trade when legal action being taken.. 244 3
- Cater Allen Commission 128 3
- How do I complain about an FCCA accountant 240 4
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 721 20
- Fees for dealing with auto-enrolment 121 1
- VAT on 'educational' services - UK and overseas 72 1
- Vat reclaim on invoice payable over 4 years 115 1
- Sage 2010 data corruption 125 5
- online book keeping systems - what happens after you stop paying? 499 13
- Sage at it again? 368 5
- BrightPay 513 13
- Is this a scam? 1,603 27
- S455 461 21
- client issues 337 4
- Benchmarking 471
- Possible Partnership? 419
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 403
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 391
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 333
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 197
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 178
- Income tax on foreign dividends 174
- Clubs and Taxable Income 172
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 168