Accounting and tax clearance for deferred company own share purchase
I have a client who has a historical holding / trading company arangement and now wishes for the holding company to purchase the shares of a departing shareholder but on a deferred payment basis.This is for cash flow reasons.
Holding company has 3 shareholders, one of which wishes to sell his 3 shares and the remaining shareholders are doing this via a Company purchase of own shares. The selling shareholder does qualify for this treatment.
The Holding company does not trade but receives Dividends from the 100% Subsidiary to pass on to the Shareholders.
The Agreement is that the 3 Shares are purchased now, beneficially, by the Holding Company for £50,000 per share but the Company will actually pay the departing shareholder £50,000 on the date of signing the sale agreement, £50,000 within the next 2 years and the remaining £50,000 within 3 years.
The subsidiary has sufficient distributable reserves to declare a Dividend for the full 3 shares but I am not sure of the Accounting treatment required here - I am not sure that the Subsidiary can vote a Dividend for £50,000 to the Hoding company now and in the next 2 years Accounts declare further £50,000 Dividends or whether it must declare a Dividend for the full 3 shares and £150,000 now. If the latter, then the Subsidiary has not the funds to pay the full consideration so can it be shown as a Debtor in the Accounts for the remaining £100,000.
Finally, I am preparing a Clearance application to HMRC for this transaction. I am not sure whether this will be granted or whether this transaction will be treated as a Distribution.
Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.
- Comany ceasing to trade 104 1
- Closing a limited company 83 4
- Obtaining old payslips & correcting historic tax overpayment 90 3
- Software 250 6
- Window Comb Binder Cover 347 6
- Capital Gains on Residential Property 403 23
- Broadband costs 188 2
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 403 14
- Rental Income for Child Benefit Charge 73 1
- Allocation of internal division of work - manger level 288 11
- Use of home deduction 437 14
- Non resident income. 208 11
- Help needed- Unable to fill CT600 form using HMRC software- service issue 312 5
- Director payroll - prorated NI? 192 5
- SA800 Returns 221 4
- state pension statement 734 9
- VAT on EU supplies 66 1
- VAT on purchse from EU supplier but goods were sent outside of EU from supplier 99 1
- Terminal Trade Loss Relief 155 4
- VAT on Vocational Training Courses supplied to a Charity Org? 93 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 848
- Copy Wanted 588
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 529
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 505
- Latest phishing scam 390
- Entrepreneurs' relief 365
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 321
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 307
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 295
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 205