Accounting and tax clearance for deferred company own share purchase
I have a client who has a historical holding / trading company arangement and now wishes for the holding company to purchase the shares of a departing shareholder but on a deferred payment basis.This is for cash flow reasons.
Holding company has 3 shareholders, one of which wishes to sell his 3 shares and the remaining shareholders are doing this via a Company purchase of own shares. The selling shareholder does qualify for this treatment.
The Holding company does not trade but receives Dividends from the 100% Subsidiary to pass on to the Shareholders.
The Agreement is that the 3 Shares are purchased now, beneficially, by the Holding Company for £50,000 per share but the Company will actually pay the departing shareholder £50,000 on the date of signing the sale agreement, £50,000 within the next 2 years and the remaining £50,000 within 3 years.
The subsidiary has sufficient distributable reserves to declare a Dividend for the full 3 shares but I am not sure of the Accounting treatment required here - I am not sure that the Subsidiary can vote a Dividend for £50,000 to the Hoding company now and in the next 2 years Accounts declare further £50,000 Dividends or whether it must declare a Dividend for the full 3 shares and £150,000 now. If the latter, then the Subsidiary has not the funds to pay the full consideration so can it be shown as a Debtor in the Accounts for the remaining £100,000.
Finally, I am preparing a Clearance application to HMRC for this transaction. I am not sure whether this will be granted or whether this transaction will be treated as a Distribution.
Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.
- Cocaine anyone? 73 2
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,453 21
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 795 25
- ACCA - still making me laugh 420 3
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 237 1
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 306 11
- Tax return software for remote working 460 4
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 497 9
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 415 9
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 440 9
- How to purchase business premises? 140 2
- Will I need to resign? 805 10
- Childcare vouchers 155 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 271 5
- Management Company Setup Structure as Limited Company 295 6
- VAT avoidance? 218 4
- Can S455 tax repaid 182 3
- PAYE coding out 178 3
- Follower cases 573 2
- LIVE chat, starting now 451 2
- Hive up 468
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 436
- corporate hierarchy 415
- Advice - 243
- Amortisation of Goodwill 214
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 202
- WWOOFers 197
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 178
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 175
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 172