Accounting and tax clearance for deferred company own share purchase
I have a client who has a historical holding / trading company arangement and now wishes for the holding company to purchase the shares of a departing shareholder but on a deferred payment basis.This is for cash flow reasons.
Holding company has 3 shareholders, one of which wishes to sell his 3 shares and the remaining shareholders are doing this via a Company purchase of own shares. The selling shareholder does qualify for this treatment.
The Holding company does not trade but receives Dividends from the 100% Subsidiary to pass on to the Shareholders.
The Agreement is that the 3 Shares are purchased now, beneficially, by the Holding Company for £50,000 per share but the Company will actually pay the departing shareholder £50,000 on the date of signing the sale agreement, £50,000 within the next 2 years and the remaining £50,000 within 3 years.
The subsidiary has sufficient distributable reserves to declare a Dividend for the full 3 shares but I am not sure of the Accounting treatment required here - I am not sure that the Subsidiary can vote a Dividend for £50,000 to the Hoding company now and in the next 2 years Accounts declare further £50,000 Dividends or whether it must declare a Dividend for the full 3 shares and £150,000 now. If the latter, then the Subsidiary has not the funds to pay the full consideration so can it be shown as a Debtor in the Accounts for the remaining £100,000.
Finally, I am preparing a Clearance application to HMRC for this transaction. I am not sure whether this will be granted or whether this transaction will be treated as a Distribution.
Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.
- Summer evenings and ponderings of capital allowances 94 3
- Employee overpaid who has left 198 4
- Limited Company keeping receipts 189 3
- Sorry ignore me 872 24
- Invoice Help 189 5
- Donaldson v HMRC case being heard tomorrow! 537 5
- What are options for non CA firm 1,912 35
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 2,221 12
- Filing FPS early with moneysoft 124 12
- Errors in prior year accounts 779 20
- VAT & capitalising 44 1
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 290 5
- Free Shares ? 232 2
- Is this a scam? 547 7
- Rental property: expenses when up for sale and not let 289 7
- How do I calculate the VAT due (cash basis) on receipts which suffer a cis deduction? 269 6
- Purchase of freehold by flat management company 144 1
- Peer to Peer lending 863 9
- VAT B2B V's Reverse Charge 97 2
- VAT On Conference Sponsorship 210 4
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 621
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 529
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 292
- Cancelled 283
- Cancelled 242
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 188
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 186
- Probiz 168
- What's the market like for temps? 163
- Married woman dies owning marital home 160