Accounting and tax clearance for deferred company own share purchase
I have a client who has a historical holding / trading company arangement and now wishes for the holding company to purchase the shares of a departing shareholder but on a deferred payment basis.This is for cash flow reasons.
Holding company has 3 shareholders, one of which wishes to sell his 3 shares and the remaining shareholders are doing this via a Company purchase of own shares. The selling shareholder does qualify for this treatment.
The Holding company does not trade but receives Dividends from the 100% Subsidiary to pass on to the Shareholders.
The Agreement is that the 3 Shares are purchased now, beneficially, by the Holding Company for £50,000 per share but the Company will actually pay the departing shareholder £50,000 on the date of signing the sale agreement, £50,000 within the next 2 years and the remaining £50,000 within 3 years.
The subsidiary has sufficient distributable reserves to declare a Dividend for the full 3 shares but I am not sure of the Accounting treatment required here - I am not sure that the Subsidiary can vote a Dividend for £50,000 to the Hoding company now and in the next 2 years Accounts declare further £50,000 Dividends or whether it must declare a Dividend for the full 3 shares and £150,000 now. If the latter, then the Subsidiary has not the funds to pay the full consideration so can it be shown as a Debtor in the Accounts for the remaining £100,000.
Finally, I am preparing a Clearance application to HMRC for this transaction. I am not sure whether this will be granted or whether this transaction will be treated as a Distribution.
Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.
- Do I walk away from these accounts? 759 14
- Setting up offshore to avoid paying VAT 464 15
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 229 6
- Offshore company (Guernsey / Isle of Man) 135 3
- PAYE – Directors NI 196 6
- Next Move 285 12
- Ltd Co and 'grant' income 387 7
- when to file SA return if closed SA in the middle of the year 157 4
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 201 3
- Large PAYE tax refund to Employee 329 3
- Personal Tax Accounts. Are we all doomed. 693 10
- Accounts treatment of assets at cessation date 249 10
- Seeking advice: Vehicle usage 138 3
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,195 34
- Casual Driver 234 4
- Self Assessment Software 627 20
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 337 7
- How does HMRC give tax relief to Muslims for borrowing costs? 1,248 10
- Is there a problem when filing with HMRC today? 152 2
- It's not the end of the tax return 240 2
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 629
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 393
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 392
- Property letting & CAs 375
- 2015 tax year end 370
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 368
- FCA regulated company in a small group 334
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 229
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 222
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 216