Accounting and tax clearance for deferred company own share purchase
I have a client who has a historical holding / trading company arangement and now wishes for the holding company to purchase the shares of a departing shareholder but on a deferred payment basis.This is for cash flow reasons.
Holding company has 3 shareholders, one of which wishes to sell his 3 shares and the remaining shareholders are doing this via a Company purchase of own shares. The selling shareholder does qualify for this treatment.
The Holding company does not trade but receives Dividends from the 100% Subsidiary to pass on to the Shareholders.
The Agreement is that the 3 Shares are purchased now, beneficially, by the Holding Company for £50,000 per share but the Company will actually pay the departing shareholder £50,000 on the date of signing the sale agreement, £50,000 within the next 2 years and the remaining £50,000 within 3 years.
The subsidiary has sufficient distributable reserves to declare a Dividend for the full 3 shares but I am not sure of the Accounting treatment required here - I am not sure that the Subsidiary can vote a Dividend for £50,000 to the Hoding company now and in the next 2 years Accounts declare further £50,000 Dividends or whether it must declare a Dividend for the full 3 shares and £150,000 now. If the latter, then the Subsidiary has not the funds to pay the full consideration so can it be shown as a Debtor in the Accounts for the remaining £100,000.
Finally, I am preparing a Clearance application to HMRC for this transaction. I am not sure whether this will be granted or whether this transaction will be treated as a Distribution.
Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.
- Entrepreneur's Relief Query 173 4
- Anyone using PracticePA? 257 5
- Do your DIY clients ever get their books right ? 63 1
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 648 26
- Tax - Paying Yearly 270 11
- Seeking advice: CGT after divorce when house sold and neither party was resident 194 3
- New company uses old Bank Account 234 3
- How do I correct a previous accountants major mistake on PAYE/SA? 461 5
- Sage Drive Queue.dta file lock out 340 8
- When is commencing trading not commening trading 187 3
- Income tax: Interaction between new marriage allowance and new nil band on savings interest 190 1
- charities 222 3
- How to find difference in Sage bank rec 283 6
- Auto enrollment. What's the basis for contribution ? 128 1
- converting garage to use as office 323 2
- recommended auto-enrolment pension scheme providers 664 13
- HOW is anyone obtaining an EORI number prior to shipment? 130 2
- How best to split income on a Buy To Let - married. How do you decide beneficial ownership 1,211 11
- Strike off 452 9
- Contracting, Subcontracting and Agency Worker Regs 161 2
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 380
- Any thoughts on Capium? 340
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 295
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 268
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 254
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 230
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 177
- French ConnectionUK 168
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 162
- APN's 159