Accounting and tax clearance for deferred company own share purchase
I have a client who has a historical holding / trading company arangement and now wishes for the holding company to purchase the shares of a departing shareholder but on a deferred payment basis.This is for cash flow reasons.
Holding company has 3 shareholders, one of which wishes to sell his 3 shares and the remaining shareholders are doing this via a Company purchase of own shares. The selling shareholder does qualify for this treatment.
The Holding company does not trade but receives Dividends from the 100% Subsidiary to pass on to the Shareholders.
The Agreement is that the 3 Shares are purchased now, beneficially, by the Holding Company for £50,000 per share but the Company will actually pay the departing shareholder £50,000 on the date of signing the sale agreement, £50,000 within the next 2 years and the remaining £50,000 within 3 years.
The subsidiary has sufficient distributable reserves to declare a Dividend for the full 3 shares but I am not sure of the Accounting treatment required here - I am not sure that the Subsidiary can vote a Dividend for £50,000 to the Hoding company now and in the next 2 years Accounts declare further £50,000 Dividends or whether it must declare a Dividend for the full 3 shares and £150,000 now. If the latter, then the Subsidiary has not the funds to pay the full consideration so can it be shown as a Debtor in the Accounts for the remaining £100,000.
Finally, I am preparing a Clearance application to HMRC for this transaction. I am not sure whether this will be granted or whether this transaction will be treated as a Distribution.
Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 564 15
- Financial Advisor / Mortgage brokering 35 1
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 167 3
- Where has Portia gone? 2,054 67
- unmarried couple, two houses, one rental - CGT? 134 7
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 194 5
- recompense capital input 62 1
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 951 22
- What shall I reduce payments on account to? 135 3
- Deferred Tax Asset & Liability 372 9
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 227 5
- Merging my businesses 207 3
- Spousal transfer and PPR 570 19
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 462 8
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 348 9
- Sage Vat return box 2 329 1
- Holiday entitlement 583 11
- Performance measurement within accounting practice 326 7
- Capital allowances on taxis 157 1
- Can i reclaim tax if my fuel cost more than the AFR in a company car 238 3
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 791
- RTI - duplicate employee record 559
- Pensions Regulator 450
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 410
- Portia ... Where art thou 316
- Sanzar 313
- Digital marketing focus group 297
- How do you do it 295
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 271
- new investor structure 179