Accounting for capital loss and dividends
I am hoping someone can help me with the following query:
There are two companies, A and B. Both are owned 100% by the same director/ shareholder. Company B then buys the shares in Company A at an arms length valuation of £20,000. Six months later Company A ceases to trade and is effectively worthless.
We are drawing up the first year's accounts for Company B. It has accounted for the share purchase as Debit Fixed Asset Investment £20,000, Credit Other Creditors £20,000. Then, it recognises the loss and enters: Dr Loss on Investment (P&L) £20,000, Cr. Fixed Asset Investment £20,000.
If you ignore the above, and tax, the company has otherwise made a profit of £50,000 and the director/ shareholder has extracted £40,000 as a dividend. BUT...once you take into account the loss on the shares the reserves are "only" £30,000 so the dividends are illegal.
The question is...is there a way in the accounts to treat the £20,000 as a capital loss separate to the distributable reserves so the dividends are not illegal? Adding the loss back in the tax computation and showing it as a capital loss is great for the tax return but doesn't help with the accounts! I could show it as an exceptional item, but IRIS seems to automatically take it out of distributable reserves anyway so I am back to square one.
Is there a way for IRIS to somehow show it "below the line" so the dividends do not look illegal? Or can - or should - the £20,000 be shown as a capital distribution somehow ? Or should I call the £20,000 a "negative capital reserve" on the balance sheet, which sounds and is ridiculous as far as I can see!
I would appreciate any help with this.
- ACCA - still making me laugh 401 3
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 225 1
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 286 11
- Tax return software for remote working 445 4
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 462 9
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 773 24
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 396 9
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 435 9
- How to purchase business premises? 118 2
- Will I need to resign? 781 10
- Childcare vouchers 133 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 266 5
- Management Company Setup Structure as Limited Company 294 6
- VAT avoidance? 202 4
- Can S455 tax repaid 173 3
- PAYE coding out 163 3
- Follower cases 569 2
- LIVE chat, starting now 450 2
- Late Registration for VAT 448 12
- TheTax Donut 1,142 1
- Hive up 466
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 431
- corporate hierarchy 413
- Advice - 241
- Amortisation of Goodwill 211
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 197
- WWOOFers 192
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 173
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 172
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 168