Accounting for capital loss and dividends
I am hoping someone can help me with the following query:
There are two companies, A and B. Both are owned 100% by the same director/ shareholder. Company B then buys the shares in Company A at an arms length valuation of £20,000. Six months later Company A ceases to trade and is effectively worthless.
We are drawing up the first year's accounts for Company B. It has accounted for the share purchase as Debit Fixed Asset Investment £20,000, Credit Other Creditors £20,000. Then, it recognises the loss and enters: Dr Loss on Investment (P&L) £20,000, Cr. Fixed Asset Investment £20,000.
If you ignore the above, and tax, the company has otherwise made a profit of £50,000 and the director/ shareholder has extracted £40,000 as a dividend. BUT...once you take into account the loss on the shares the reserves are "only" £30,000 so the dividends are illegal.
The question is...is there a way in the accounts to treat the £20,000 as a capital loss separate to the distributable reserves so the dividends are not illegal? Adding the loss back in the tax computation and showing it as a capital loss is great for the tax return but doesn't help with the accounts! I could show it as an exceptional item, but IRIS seems to automatically take it out of distributable reserves anyway so I am back to square one.
Is there a way for IRIS to somehow show it "below the line" so the dividends do not look illegal? Or can - or should - the £20,000 be shown as a capital distribution somehow ? Or should I call the £20,000 a "negative capital reserve" on the balance sheet, which sounds and is ridiculous as far as I can see!
I would appreciate any help with this.
- PAYE Coding Notices 502 10
- VAT Option to tax 312 4
- directors loan movements and repayments 220 3
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 861 16
- Consortium relief and bad debts 64 2
- Late P800 demand shows later year? 159 4
- VAT registration for "co-operative" formed to provide flood defences 22 1
- Business travel apps 59 2
- BEST CPD COURSE 57 1
- EIS - connection through employment 49 1
- Weely paid employees 314 4
- Payroll - Previous year not filed 89 2
- Total cost of employment 230 2
- Help car benefit 180 5
- From Ireland. Self-Employed or Foreign Income? 158 5
- Cable’s crackdown on bonuses – empty words? 74 1
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 1,433 11
- PPR qualifying period while living in employer accommodation? 73 1
- HMRC Dispensation - How long does it last for? 137 2
- LLP members share of profits 451 26
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 890
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 623
- Free Tax Legislation? 379
- Director Loan account operation 377
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 322
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 307
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 299
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 276
- Paye procedures for CVA 208
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 196