Accounting for capital loss and dividends
I am hoping someone can help me with the following query:
There are two companies, A and B. Both are owned 100% by the same director/ shareholder. Company B then buys the shares in Company A at an arms length valuation of £20,000. Six months later Company A ceases to trade and is effectively worthless.
We are drawing up the first year's accounts for Company B. It has accounted for the share purchase as Debit Fixed Asset Investment £20,000, Credit Other Creditors £20,000. Then, it recognises the loss and enters: Dr Loss on Investment (P&L) £20,000, Cr. Fixed Asset Investment £20,000.
If you ignore the above, and tax, the company has otherwise made a profit of £50,000 and the director/ shareholder has extracted £40,000 as a dividend. BUT...once you take into account the loss on the shares the reserves are "only" £30,000 so the dividends are illegal.
The question is...is there a way in the accounts to treat the £20,000 as a capital loss separate to the distributable reserves so the dividends are not illegal? Adding the loss back in the tax computation and showing it as a capital loss is great for the tax return but doesn't help with the accounts! I could show it as an exceptional item, but IRIS seems to automatically take it out of distributable reserves anyway so I am back to square one.
Is there a way for IRIS to somehow show it "below the line" so the dividends do not look illegal? Or can - or should - the £20,000 be shown as a capital distribution somehow ? Or should I call the £20,000 a "negative capital reserve" on the balance sheet, which sounds and is ridiculous as far as I can see!
I would appreciate any help with this.
- error on companies house accounts 727 18
- RTI penalties 83 1
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 514 7
- Bookkeeping software for cafe and VAT 142 2
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 308 5
- US Sales Tax 112 1
- Does SMP and SPP go up if leave goes across 2 tax years? 368 15
- Anti- Money Laundering - CIMA Practising Certification Application 199 3
- Simplified auto enrolment? 141 1
- Group Relief 130 4
- R&D Credits 104 1
- Is the annual Money Laundering Payment tax allowable 250 7
- VAT Reg.for sole trader with 2 S/E 126 2
- Clients 682 14
- Advice needed on my practice but not my clients 320 4
- Leaving the flat rate scheme 137 3
- Starting new accounting business 300 5
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 464 10
- Sage Payroll 121 1
- SAGE 50 - Invoice Date 119 2
- QROP pension input amounts 501
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 482
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 445
- EPS and CIS deductions 299
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 291
- Construction CIS LLP Company 284
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 249
- Lets hear it for HMRC! 206
- SAGE winforecast 204
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 187