Accounting for capital loss and dividends
I am hoping someone can help me with the following query:
There are two companies, A and B. Both are owned 100% by the same director/ shareholder. Company B then buys the shares in Company A at an arms length valuation of £20,000. Six months later Company A ceases to trade and is effectively worthless.
We are drawing up the first year's accounts for Company B. It has accounted for the share purchase as Debit Fixed Asset Investment £20,000, Credit Other Creditors £20,000. Then, it recognises the loss and enters: Dr Loss on Investment (P&L) £20,000, Cr. Fixed Asset Investment £20,000.
If you ignore the above, and tax, the company has otherwise made a profit of £50,000 and the director/ shareholder has extracted £40,000 as a dividend. BUT...once you take into account the loss on the shares the reserves are "only" £30,000 so the dividends are illegal.
The question is...is there a way in the accounts to treat the £20,000 as a capital loss separate to the distributable reserves so the dividends are not illegal? Adding the loss back in the tax computation and showing it as a capital loss is great for the tax return but doesn't help with the accounts! I could show it as an exceptional item, but IRIS seems to automatically take it out of distributable reserves anyway so I am back to square one.
Is there a way for IRIS to somehow show it "below the line" so the dividends do not look illegal? Or can - or should - the £20,000 be shown as a capital distribution somehow ? Or should I call the £20,000 a "negative capital reserve" on the balance sheet, which sounds and is ridiculous as far as I can see!
I would appreciate any help with this.
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 703 22
- SA316s 80 2
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 497 10
- Can I recharge Car loan interest 355 11
- Start-up cost recognition 80 1
- Lunches 133 3
- Mortgage Adviser's request 364 8
- VAT on non-denominated postage 113 3
- Generic notification message 248 6
- Property Expenses 207 7
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 805 39
- Auto Enrolment (sorry) 98 1
- Tax relief for networking day out? 492 13
- Swiching tax 494 14
- Accrued salary unpaid 249 4
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 4,180 18
- Basis periods 88 1
- P&L Treatment of property assets 102 2
- CGT on spouse's death 303 11
- Starting Again 317 11
- Construction CIS LLP Company 598
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 586
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 385
- Pensions Regulator 350
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 288
- Using the correct forms 264
- SA penalty proposals 255
- RTI - duplicate employee record 248
- Accelerated payment notices 231
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 223