Accounting for capital loss and dividends
I am hoping someone can help me with the following query:
There are two companies, A and B. Both are owned 100% by the same director/ shareholder. Company B then buys the shares in Company A at an arms length valuation of £20,000. Six months later Company A ceases to trade and is effectively worthless.
We are drawing up the first year's accounts for Company B. It has accounted for the share purchase as Debit Fixed Asset Investment £20,000, Credit Other Creditors £20,000. Then, it recognises the loss and enters: Dr Loss on Investment (P&L) £20,000, Cr. Fixed Asset Investment £20,000.
If you ignore the above, and tax, the company has otherwise made a profit of £50,000 and the director/ shareholder has extracted £40,000 as a dividend. BUT...once you take into account the loss on the shares the reserves are "only" £30,000 so the dividends are illegal.
The question is...is there a way in the accounts to treat the £20,000 as a capital loss separate to the distributable reserves so the dividends are not illegal? Adding the loss back in the tax computation and showing it as a capital loss is great for the tax return but doesn't help with the accounts! I could show it as an exceptional item, but IRIS seems to automatically take it out of distributable reserves anyway so I am back to square one.
Is there a way for IRIS to somehow show it "below the line" so the dividends do not look illegal? Or can - or should - the £20,000 be shown as a capital distribution somehow ? Or should I call the £20,000 a "negative capital reserve" on the balance sheet, which sounds and is ridiculous as far as I can see!
I would appreciate any help with this.
- Physiotherapy And Vat 154 5
- how to value rental space 47 3
- Directors loan - no longer a director 291 4
- NHS PENSIONS XFER ABROAD 53 1
- We contribute a percentage of employees' salaries to a pension scheme set up by them - do we need to get involved in auto-enrolment? 444 5
- New tax codes for ex-employees 140 2
- Output tax for retailer 251 6
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 437 11
- Budget 2015 predictions 131 4
- Failure to operate PAYE 1,912 32
- Telemarketing 110 3
- Pass-through costs - show gross or net under UK GAAP / IFRS? 90 1
- Non domicile swiss bank 119 2
- Husband Wife let property 101 1
- Tennants in Common - Changing % Share 88 1
- Gift between companies 117 2
- Vat reclaim on invoice payable over 4 years 452 6
- Why .... 713 8
- Does anyone know how to deal with crowd funding income 948 9
- NI Contributions in order to claim state pension 550 12
- Possible Partnership? 591
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 497
- New Fangled Penalties 403
- Clubs and Taxable Income 326
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 295
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 248
- Loans to other companies 242
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 209
- Outsource Data Entry 203
- Moving away from CCH software 197