Accounting for capital loss and dividends
I am hoping someone can help me with the following query:
There are two companies, A and B. Both are owned 100% by the same director/ shareholder. Company B then buys the shares in Company A at an arms length valuation of £20,000. Six months later Company A ceases to trade and is effectively worthless.
We are drawing up the first year's accounts for Company B. It has accounted for the share purchase as Debit Fixed Asset Investment £20,000, Credit Other Creditors £20,000. Then, it recognises the loss and enters: Dr Loss on Investment (P&L) £20,000, Cr. Fixed Asset Investment £20,000.
If you ignore the above, and tax, the company has otherwise made a profit of £50,000 and the director/ shareholder has extracted £40,000 as a dividend. BUT...once you take into account the loss on the shares the reserves are "only" £30,000 so the dividends are illegal.
The question is...is there a way in the accounts to treat the £20,000 as a capital loss separate to the distributable reserves so the dividends are not illegal? Adding the loss back in the tax computation and showing it as a capital loss is great for the tax return but doesn't help with the accounts! I could show it as an exceptional item, but IRIS seems to automatically take it out of distributable reserves anyway so I am back to square one.
Is there a way for IRIS to somehow show it "below the line" so the dividends do not look illegal? Or can - or should - the £20,000 be shown as a capital distribution somehow ? Or should I call the £20,000 a "negative capital reserve" on the balance sheet, which sounds and is ridiculous as far as I can see!
I would appreciate any help with this.
- HMRC time to pay and bailiff letters 436 6
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 467 10
- Share capital - death of a shareholder 525 17
- Bench-marking software, any ideas? 327 6
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 752 9
- No Contact From Client - When to Disengage? 378 2
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 850 12
- Legal Fees Allowable in dispute 265 6
- Car benefit or not? 1,469 17
- Associate Dentist SD86 much higher than deductions 147 1
- HMRC site still hasn't updated for January SA filings 479 5
- Viewing folder contens en masse 241 6
- Auto Enrolment 143 1
- Not renewing AAT 893 11
- Company ceased trading 167 4
- Questions from Liquidator 2,145 22
- Casual Driver 423 6
- Email encryption 1,478 16
- New dividend taxation 767 4
- Another question on trusts and settlements 97 1
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 688
- Property letting & CAs 417
- 2015 tax year end 414
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 401
- FCA regulated company in a small group 356
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 332
- Costly Accounting Software contract 272
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 245
- DTA tie-breaker issue 231
- Directors' advances and credits 231