Accounting for capital loss and dividends
I am hoping someone can help me with the following query:
There are two companies, A and B. Both are owned 100% by the same director/ shareholder. Company B then buys the shares in Company A at an arms length valuation of £20,000. Six months later Company A ceases to trade and is effectively worthless.
We are drawing up the first year's accounts for Company B. It has accounted for the share purchase as Debit Fixed Asset Investment £20,000, Credit Other Creditors £20,000. Then, it recognises the loss and enters: Dr Loss on Investment (P&L) £20,000, Cr. Fixed Asset Investment £20,000.
If you ignore the above, and tax, the company has otherwise made a profit of £50,000 and the director/ shareholder has extracted £40,000 as a dividend. BUT...once you take into account the loss on the shares the reserves are "only" £30,000 so the dividends are illegal.
The question is...is there a way in the accounts to treat the £20,000 as a capital loss separate to the distributable reserves so the dividends are not illegal? Adding the loss back in the tax computation and showing it as a capital loss is great for the tax return but doesn't help with the accounts! I could show it as an exceptional item, but IRIS seems to automatically take it out of distributable reserves anyway so I am back to square one.
Is there a way for IRIS to somehow show it "below the line" so the dividends do not look illegal? Or can - or should - the £20,000 be shown as a capital distribution somehow ? Or should I call the £20,000 a "negative capital reserve" on the balance sheet, which sounds and is ridiculous as far as I can see!
I would appreciate any help with this.
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 548 19
- Financial statements in Word, with formulas 1,459 17
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 1,049 35
- Your fondest calculator memories 1,196 44
- R&D tax claim 245 7
- You think HMRC are inefficient? 517 9
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 171 7
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 126 2
- Gift to employee 369 12
- Tax Allowance on University Course 146 1
- Transfer of a business 124 1
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 1,133 22
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 413 8
- VAT Cross Border Invoicing 114 2
- Sage Import Data 311 6
- Slight twist on employment related securities 242 1
- Child and Working Tax Credits and sudden increase in investment income - does this trigger a claw back? 124 2
- Best time software for small practice? 231 2
- Residents Association Corp Tax 319 13
- private to company car? 374 9
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 479
- CTA study material 454
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 332
- Pre incorp expenses 309
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 267
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 254
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 204
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 159
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 140
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 133