Accounting for capital loss and dividends
I am hoping someone can help me with the following query:
There are two companies, A and B. Both are owned 100% by the same director/ shareholder. Company B then buys the shares in Company A at an arms length valuation of £20,000. Six months later Company A ceases to trade and is effectively worthless.
We are drawing up the first year's accounts for Company B. It has accounted for the share purchase as Debit Fixed Asset Investment £20,000, Credit Other Creditors £20,000. Then, it recognises the loss and enters: Dr Loss on Investment (P&L) £20,000, Cr. Fixed Asset Investment £20,000.
If you ignore the above, and tax, the company has otherwise made a profit of £50,000 and the director/ shareholder has extracted £40,000 as a dividend. BUT...once you take into account the loss on the shares the reserves are "only" £30,000 so the dividends are illegal.
The question is...is there a way in the accounts to treat the £20,000 as a capital loss separate to the distributable reserves so the dividends are not illegal? Adding the loss back in the tax computation and showing it as a capital loss is great for the tax return but doesn't help with the accounts! I could show it as an exceptional item, but IRIS seems to automatically take it out of distributable reserves anyway so I am back to square one.
Is there a way for IRIS to somehow show it "below the line" so the dividends do not look illegal? Or can - or should - the £20,000 be shown as a capital distribution somehow ? Or should I call the £20,000 a "negative capital reserve" on the balance sheet, which sounds and is ridiculous as far as I can see!
I would appreciate any help with this.
- Write off of former director's loan 358 8
- What aspects of accountancy/book-keeping most trouble people 210 4
- VAT on part of a closed pub 204 13
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 273 7
- Is anyone a member of National Accountancy Network? 111 2
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 251 4
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 180 6
- Tax on Bitcoin gains in hands of individual 66 1
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 208 1
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 171 3
- Dispensation pointless ? 312 5
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 216 6
- SME Direct Debit 682 11
- Accountant software 444 13
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,048 23
- Accounting jobs in the UK 168 2
- CIS gross status review 126 1
- Notes needed for a new partner in an LLP 135 2
- Dividend payments to spouses 385 6
- Flat rate vat error 254 5
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 763
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 486
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 303
- How to format a stock book 268
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 215
- Tax efficient holding company structure 207
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 199
- Investment property company accounts template 192
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 175
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 165