Accounting for capital loss and dividends
I am hoping someone can help me with the following query:
There are two companies, A and B. Both are owned 100% by the same director/ shareholder. Company B then buys the shares in Company A at an arms length valuation of £20,000. Six months later Company A ceases to trade and is effectively worthless.
We are drawing up the first year's accounts for Company B. It has accounted for the share purchase as Debit Fixed Asset Investment £20,000, Credit Other Creditors £20,000. Then, it recognises the loss and enters: Dr Loss on Investment (P&L) £20,000, Cr. Fixed Asset Investment £20,000.
If you ignore the above, and tax, the company has otherwise made a profit of £50,000 and the director/ shareholder has extracted £40,000 as a dividend. BUT...once you take into account the loss on the shares the reserves are "only" £30,000 so the dividends are illegal.
The question is...is there a way in the accounts to treat the £20,000 as a capital loss separate to the distributable reserves so the dividends are not illegal? Adding the loss back in the tax computation and showing it as a capital loss is great for the tax return but doesn't help with the accounts! I could show it as an exceptional item, but IRIS seems to automatically take it out of distributable reserves anyway so I am back to square one.
Is there a way for IRIS to somehow show it "below the line" so the dividends do not look illegal? Or can - or should - the £20,000 be shown as a capital distribution somehow ? Or should I call the £20,000 a "negative capital reserve" on the balance sheet, which sounds and is ridiculous as far as I can see!
I would appreciate any help with this.
- rti 208 9
- PAYE Refunds from HMRC 118 3
- Home Use Costs in Company Accounts ? 126 1
- Unfurnished Lettings Expenditure 162 3
- Undeclared rental income 157 4
- Drop box Storage 771 8
- Cash injection by shareholder 664 9
- Another goodwill question ....... 219 2
- 2 sole traders merging to become a limited company what do they need? 205 6
- FIFA game and making money 1,730 15
- Drop Down Boxes 102 1
- Subsistence expenses for one man band contractor companies 381 7
- What Exactly does the RTI Penalty Relaxation mean? 249 4
- How to prove to HMRC that you was not self employed? 769 21
- Any Scottish members out there? 13,295 497
- Property management company Online returns 92 1
- VAT on sale of Assets to Director 123 3
- Director selling assets to the company that were given to her 335 9
- Fee Protection Insurance 1,127 45
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 417 19
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,401
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 535
- National Insurance 436
- Non Resident 325
- Hands on experience of Digita 254
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 236
- Employer's Helpline 191
- CIS paid under reg 9 190
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 157
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 157