Accounting for capital loss and dividends
I am hoping someone can help me with the following query:
There are two companies, A and B. Both are owned 100% by the same director/ shareholder. Company B then buys the shares in Company A at an arms length valuation of £20,000. Six months later Company A ceases to trade and is effectively worthless.
We are drawing up the first year's accounts for Company B. It has accounted for the share purchase as Debit Fixed Asset Investment £20,000, Credit Other Creditors £20,000. Then, it recognises the loss and enters: Dr Loss on Investment (P&L) £20,000, Cr. Fixed Asset Investment £20,000.
If you ignore the above, and tax, the company has otherwise made a profit of £50,000 and the director/ shareholder has extracted £40,000 as a dividend. BUT...once you take into account the loss on the shares the reserves are "only" £30,000 so the dividends are illegal.
The question is...is there a way in the accounts to treat the £20,000 as a capital loss separate to the distributable reserves so the dividends are not illegal? Adding the loss back in the tax computation and showing it as a capital loss is great for the tax return but doesn't help with the accounts! I could show it as an exceptional item, but IRIS seems to automatically take it out of distributable reserves anyway so I am back to square one.
Is there a way for IRIS to somehow show it "below the line" so the dividends do not look illegal? Or can - or should - the £20,000 be shown as a capital distribution somehow ? Or should I call the £20,000 a "negative capital reserve" on the balance sheet, which sounds and is ridiculous as far as I can see!
I would appreciate any help with this.
- The importance of Grammar 882 24
- New starter - tax code 170 6
- Treatment of private car expenses put through limited company 86 2
- Why does Aweb always take the nuclear option … 2,680 60
- PI cover 78 2
- Bookkeeping - Relevant Qualifications? 251 3
- Capital loss on cessation for a sole trader 115 2
- HMRC site down ? 144 4
- Tax Filer - Transfering figures from partnership to personal returns 136 6
- Small hotel - food for personal use 197 3
- Xero Pain Points 250 12
- Models, agency rules and intermediary reporting 92 1
- Samsung Galaxy - Tablet War 108 1
- Late RTI submissions on change of accountants 155 2
- VAT - How hard is it? 373 15
- Tax Return for arrivals into the UK 147 4
- Copies of every transaction can't be OK!! 586 9
- ACCOUNTING TREATMENT FOR DISBURSEMENTS 233 3
- Childcare 270 4
- Overdrawn directors loan account. 812 19
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 360
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 299
- HMRC RTI Filing Problem 284
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 280
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 272
- Electric Car 220
- S222 Charge 200
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 194
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 189
- Company Structure 171